Start by marking “Bear's Loose Tooth” as Want to Read:
Bear's Loose Tooth

Bear's Loose Tooth (Bear)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  635 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Bear and his friends are munching on their lunch when, all of sudden, Bear feels something wiggling and wobbling in his mouth. Oh, no! What can it be? It’s Bear’s first loose tooth!

From a cave in the forest
came a “MUNCH, MUNCH, CRUNCH!”
as Bear and his friends
all nibbled on their lunch.

Bear and his friends are munching on their lu
Published August 30th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear's Loose Tooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear's Loose Tooth

Fallen Idols by Mark  MillerNew Kids on the Rock by Mark  MillerDown Under Thunder by Mark  MillerThe Adventures of Cefa the Cat, Cefa Finds a Home by Cristine CatonElliot and the Pixie Plot by Jennifer A. Nielsen
New Children's Books of 2011
42nd out of 50 books — 20 voters
Freight Train by Donald CrewsCrazy Town Upside Down by Vanessa RouseToot & Puddle by Holly HobbieBear's Loose Tooth by Karma WilsonLittle Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
Preschool- 'T'
4th out of 19 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Montserrat
Bear and his friends are eating lunch in the forest when suddenly he feels a wibble-wobble in his mouth. What is it? Bear's got a loose tooth! This sets up the premise for the story, as all of his animal friends rally round and try to help him get the tooth out in all manner of funny ways.

Children will love the rhyming nature of the book and the refrain of "Bear's loose TOOTH!" at the end of most verses. The variety of characters also makes this a great book to read aloud. You can also use funny
Tonya Branch
Caldecott Award Choice

This is a cute story about a bear who has a loose tooth. The story begins as Bear and his friends are eating lunch in the forest. Everything is fine until Bear feels something "wiggle and wobble" inside of his mouth. It was his loose tooth. All of his friends Hare, Mouse, Owl, and Badger, tried to pull the tooth out. They struggled and struggled "but the tooth wouldn't budge." Then, Bear used his tongue to push the tooth back and forth and the tooth finally came out and all
Miranda
 photo bear2_zpscdc4b0e7.jpg

BEAR'S LOOSE TOOTH is such a big hit at our house. My boys LOVE this story.

The title basically says it all. Bear does indeed loose his tooth. Every single time I read this book, my kids giggle and laugh. They love the pictures. It's hands down one of the best kids books we've had the pleasure of reading at bedtime.

Definitely a favorite in my household. We love Bear and all his friends.
Amanda Snow
Originally published at www.apatchworkofbooks.com

Karma Wilson's "Bear" books are some of my favorite to read aloud. The rhymes are always done really well in terms of flow and the silliness of the story comes through perfectly.

In this latest Bear installment, poor Bear has a loose tooth! He's worried about what it means to have a loose tooth, until his faithful friends come to his rescue, as they always do. If you've read the other stories, you'll know Bear is a big worrywart and his friends ar
Candice
Nov 19, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE Karma Wilson's Bear books with Jane Chapman's illustrations! This one is perfect to get children used to the idea that they, too, will lose their baby teeth and that it's nothing to fear.

"As Bear nibbled food,
something moved when he chewed!
It was...
Bear's
loose
tooth!"

Surrounded by adorably drawn friends who offer support and encouragement, Bear wiggles his loose tooth free and, after a visit from the tooth fairy, is happily enjoying breakfast with his friends when...
Megan Willis
SO CUTE! I have read this book to my class and we got a variety of activities out of it, including comma practice, making lists, story elements, dental hygiene, and creative writing prompts. The characters are adorable. Having a loose tooth is something that my first graders can relate to and are excited about!
Michelle Nero
We read this book and my 3 year olds learn that they will lose their baby teeth just like Bear. Also their first introduction to the tooth fairy. "But I don't want berries like Bear, " my daughter said. :)
Taril Slater
Bear's Loose Tooth by Karma Wilson depicts a bear who encounters a loose tooth while eating lunch with his friends. They ease his concerns about his loose tooth and reassure him that loosing a tooth is a natural occurrence in life. This book is another cute story that everyone can relate to. It is a story that younger kids will be able to connect with and want to know more about. I would use the book to have students discuss how they felt when they lost their first tooth and the teeth following ...more
Erin
Bear's Loose Tooth is a book about Bear whose tooth must be loose, for as he ate he heard MUNCHING and CRUNCHING! Bear's forest friends came from all around looking to help their friend Bear with his tooth scenario. They warned him not to fret, though, because a new tooth would come in once the old one fell out. His small bird friend, Wren, came to give it a tug, but her smallish size just wouldn't do. Then Owl grabbed the tooth and gave a mighty pull, but Bear's tooth was stuck! Finally, Bear g ...more
Becky
1. Audience: This book has very colorful pictures, it is short, and easy to read. The book is also playful and I think it would be best read to kindergarten through second graders.
2. Appeal: The main characters in this book are animals and it talks about life lessons that children these ages can relate to. The book also is repetitive.
3. Activity: I would talk about how we all loose teeth and some of them come out easier than others. I would also talk about friendship and how friends help you o
Denise Kettering
I love reading Karma Wilson's books out loud because they have a wonderful rhythm and cadence. This one does not disappoint as it is fun to read, beautifully illustrated by Jane Chapman and tells a helpful story about losing baby teeth. All of the friendly characters from the woods are back to help bear out.
Dominique St-pierre
I liked this sweet book about Bear losing a tooth. As usual, all the friends are sweet and try to help. I used the book in my classroom to help Kindergarteners make predictions - which also encouraged asking questions, talking to one another and accessing background knowledge. The illustrations are beautiful.
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, rhyming
We have loved Karma Wilson's Bear books for years. They were some of the first books that I reviewed here on Goodreads. Our girls are getting a little old for these stories, but thankfully they still humor me. Our youngest is getting ready to loose some teeth, so this story is particularly appropriate.

The rhymes aren't quite as fluid and rhythmic as they are for Bear Snores On, but the illustrations are just as adorable and our girls love the repetition - they will often finish the sentences fo
Katy Bennett
Nothing earth-shaking here. Bear feels a wobbly tooth in his mouth and his friends try to help him get it out. Would be ok for a child experiencing their first loose teeth, but kind of a stretch for bear and friends.
Melissa
We love all the Bear books and this one did not disappoint. I checked it out when my oldest got his first loose tooth. It was a hit with both of my children. Beautiful illustrations and a cute little story.
Kelsey Peterson
In this book Bear was just going on with a normal day, until he is having lunch with his friend's and his tooth comes out. Bear's friends explain to him that it is normal to loose your baby teeth, so your adult ones can grow in place of them. This book shows that the support and knowledge of your friends can be helpful when you are in a situation and your not sure of what should or could happen. So I would use this book in the younger elementary grades beacuse they are still loosing their baby t ...more
Melissa Lampe
Audience: Primary

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Have you ever heard of a bear loosing his tooth? In Bear's Loose Tooth, Bear starts nibbling on his food and something moved when he chewed. He had a loose tooth. Bear was so worried he would not be able to eat, so his friends the hare, mouse, and wren tried different strategies to pull Bear's tooth out and none of them were successful. Then, all the sudden Bear pushed his tooth with his tongue and his tooth popped out. You'll never guess what Bear got
Cindy
I love Bear! I love Bear and all his friends, and how they make a community - family they picked! It makes life better when there is someone to help when you are down, be brave when you are scared, celebrate with you when there is joy - Bear and his friends demonstrate that so reliably, every book!

This one - well, every kid gets that first loose tooth - everyone in the family volunteers to help pull it - and eventually, you get your own tongue under there and out it pops! Beautiful illustrations
Ginna
Jul 22, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: feelings
Great book!
I did my oral health lesson with this book and some others, but I can tell you that children really enjoyed this one. It has repetition, prediction, new vocabulary and much more! I did my lesson with 3 year old children but it will be good for children up to firs grade. It also involves friendship and feelings.
Have fun with it!

I used egg cartons to simulate teeth and ask the students to brush and floss the teeth with a real tooth brush (Each student had one, I received the material a
Meghan
Very sweet and delightful rhymes
This is a cute story about a Bear who has a loose tooth! Bear's friends try to help him out with his wobbly tooth and thus an adventure is born within these 40 pages!

The illustrations are really quite cute and the story for most of the time has a rhyming pattern so any child will be able to pick up - either reading it themselves or having it read to them!

Just wait and see what happens to bear when his tooth does finally wibble and wobble out of his mouth!
Mandy J. J.
MY REVIEW:

Have a child with a loose tooth? Then have fun with them by reading this adorable book! Bear has a loose tooth and his friends try to help him get it out. Finally he pulls it out himself and the tooth fairy leaves a sweet treat (blueberries). It's pictures are so sweet with all the cute looking animals and their fun antics. If my children were younger, I would be buying this book to keep. It's purely simple fun in a book!
jacky
A pretty ordinary book about loosing teeth.
Viv
Fun reading for kids who are about to lose their baby teeth!
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
What's more universal than a story about a loose tooth? Karma Wilson delivers another great book about Bear and his friends. One after another, Bear's friends try to pull out the tooth to no avail. Then Bear "gave it a little nudge, he wiggled it to and fro, and then what do you know...Bear's tooth fell out!" Share this book with with your favorite loose-toothed child. ~ Reviewed by Lisa Coleman, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Jocelin
Bear has great friends that are always there for him. This one is about his tooth being loose and he is not sure what to do about it.
I really LOVED this book! It's a wonderful story for young children to read, and also a great learning experience for those who have loose teeth or have lost teeth. It teaches young children how to get out a loose tooth too. It had a great storyline. I thought the book was also, cute and slightly humorous. The illistrations and use of colors were pretty good too. It's definitely a book worth reading.
Sandi
Feb 04, 2012 Sandi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-K and up. :)
Karma Wilson's done it again in Bear's Loose Tooth!

Bear's a little worried when he feels something wiggling and finds out it's his tooth! Not to worry, his forest friends are coming to the rescue and they're full of ideas they're certain are bound to work.

Fantastic illustrations and great read-aloud text make Bear's Loose Tooth one you definitely won't want to lose out on reading!

Natalie McGovern
Ever wonder what it would be like for a bear to lose a tooth? In Bear's Loose Tooth, Bear notices his first wiggly tooth. Friends of the forest such as Badger, Owl, and Rabbit think they can help Bear with the problem, but you will have to see who gets that tooth out in the end!
If you have ever wanted to know what the tooth fairy brings a sleeping bear, this is the book for you!
Zacaro Caro
Read this at the library to my kids, by the end I had 4-5 kids sitting down on the floor listening, so I read two more of Karma Wilson's books and gathered an audience of 8-10 kids. That's the type of author Karma Wilson is, kids want to listen, parents want to read, and it's the type book that's fun to read out loud. "And Bear says thanks!"
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Pig Kahuna
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Pip & Squeak
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Bats at the Beach
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream?
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies