Start by marking “American Jennie: The Remarkable Life of Lady Randolph Churchill” as Want to Read:
American Jennie: The Remarkable Life of Lady Randolph Churchill

American Jennie: The Remarkable Life of Lady Randolph Churchill

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Brooklyn-born Jennie Jerome married into the British aristocracy in 1874, after a three-day romance. She became Lady Randolph Churchill, wife of a maverick politician and mother of the most famous British statesman of the century. Jennie Churchill was not merely the most talked about and controversial American woman in London society, she was a dynamic behind-the-scenes po ...more
Published December 20th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about American Jennie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Jennie

Susan Stonesifer
Oct 25, 2014 Susan Stonesifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have done some reading on this remarkable woman already. What I gleaned from this volume is that her lack of money influenced many poor decisions. She also had a strong libido which also pushed her into unwise marriages. She might have taken over the world today. Instead she poured much of her strength into supporting Winston and his career.
itpdx
Feb 16, 2013 itpdx rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lwv-book-group
I will admit that I came to this book with a bad attitude. It is a selection of my book club. My reaction was Jennie Jerome Churchill is only researched and written about because she was the mother of Winston Churchill and that he bore her mark (or scars). I did not vote for it and was disappointed when it was selected. I seriously considered not reading it because I will be away on vacation at the time of the discussion. But read it, I did and it just re-enforced my opinion.

Jennie was a spoiled
Kjirstin
As a connoisseur of books about the Gilded Age, particularly of the large numbers of American heiresses who traveled to Europe to marry nobility in this time, I was interested in this biography of Jennie Jerome who became the mother of Winston Churchill. What an interesting life she had! (And her death was worthy of Carrie Bradshaw...)

I read this between fiction, so it took a while. Too, it seemed sad that as she grew up, this woman never seemed to outgrow the rattling young woman that she'd bee
Lynne Nikolaisen
Interesting insight into Victorian England. Funny so many titled people with so little money. They had to find rich Americans looking for social standing. A bit long
Deborah
Feb 15, 2016 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Interesting biography of a woman I knew very little about. I found the beginning a little slow, but once Jennie reached her late teens, the story was very interesting.
Alex
Apr 16, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction, bio
While full of interesting facts and theories on the exciting life of Jennie Churchill I did not end the book feeling that I had a better understanding of her life or even of life in that era. The writing at times was confusing enough to require re-readings of many pages just to make sure I knew who the writer was discussing. It certainly piqued my curiosity about her famous son Winston Churchill and the American money-for-titles wives who flooded England at the turn of the century. A good starti ...more
Joy
Oct 20, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly proof of the power of an involved mother. Jennie was the power behind the polital rise of Winston. She had earlier been very involved in the politial life of her husband, Randolph. Jennie was a beautiful, musically talented woman who always lived beyond her means and had a rather prolific 'love life.' Her American family moved to Europe with the goal of marrying their three daughters to nobility. An interesting book with coloraful characters, yet certainly not noble in character. I thi ...more
Deborah Lunceford
Audible
Janie Hoskins stansel
I have yet to find a completely satisfying biography of Lady Randolph Churchill. There is too much bias one way or the other in the ones I've read. I would also like to read the original letters several of her biographers have used.

All in all, an interesting read. I enjoyed learning more about this fascinating woman. Whether or not she was the most moral person, she lived a full and interesting life. She's one of those people from the past with whom I'd like to have lunch.
Alesha Hubbell
Mar 09, 2013 Alesha Hubbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting account of the life of a woman I knew very little about before reading this book. A very strong and intelligent woman who used her wiles in to advance her family and raised amazing children. That the mother of Winston Churchill engaged in some of this behavior adds a very different demention to my idea of him and all he did. This book shows a different side of Victorian English society as well from the point of view of an outsider.
Cynthia
Mar 26, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I looked forward to reading this biography of Jennie Churchill, the mother of Winston and wife of Randolph. Born in Brooklyn, NY (and you can see the plaque in front of her home on Henry Street), she led an interesting and yet, frustrating life. The author of this book failed to bring Jennie alive for me, reporting in a factual but not always engaging manner, and sometimes reaching psychological conclusions that weren't necessarily justified.
Sfrith
Mar 29, 2015 Sfrith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Educational story about Lady Randolph Churchill and her influence on her oldest son, Winston Churchill. Highly recommend.
Lady of the Lake
I love historical bios looking into someone's life from the past. It is certainly clear why Winston was the way he was with a never say fail attitude gotten clearly from his mother. Lady Churchill did whatever she had to to keep the life she wanted to have the best of everything. She knew what she wanted she went and got it.
Feb 19, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well researched book telling the sad life of Lady Churchill. I'm not sure that I like her...she was spoiled and careless with her money, and desperate for love. She was fascinating though, especially since she was Winston Churchill's mother.
Demi
Apr 10, 2009 Demi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating life these Churchills lived; so different from mine. I think Jennie was way ahead of her time. I find it amazing Winston Churchill turned out so well given his upbringing; i.e. he was basically ignored by his parents.
Donald
Dec 14, 2009 Donald rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dull. This woman was not all that remarkable. I found her to be a whining, pampered rich man's daughter who couldn't accept rules for her and her son and tried in every way to circumvent them.
Lori
Aug 22, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am into all things Churchill, so I enjoyed this audiobook. She was amazing. This account of Jennie is good companion reading to enjoy with "The Last Lion" about her son Winston.
Ann
An interesting biography of Jennie Churchill, Winston Churchill's mother. I had known she was American, but didn't realize what an interesting life she had!
Janel
May 30, 2012 Janel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Extremely readable. I've read a lot about Winston Churchill but not about his mother. Recommend to anyone who enjoys history.
Deborah
Oct 31, 2012 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The subject is interesting but the writing is unclear and inconsistent. I haven't finished reading it yet and may not get around to it.
Suzanne
Mar 11, 2010 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, absorbing and extremely readable. A fascinating account of a fascinating woman.
Penny
Sep 03, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably more of a 3.5, but I bumped it up to 4 due to interesting subject matter.
Jean Lauterbach
Dec 30, 2012 Jean Lauterbach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all things Churchill. The story/history is great,but the writing is a bit dry.
Jaime
May 08, 2008 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: an anglophile who wants to see an American connection
The first few chapters were interesting and easy to read but now I'm stalled.
Amelia Osterud
Jan 15, 2013 Amelia Osterud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is well researched book about a very interesting woman.
Sherry
Jan 13, 2010 Sherry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good information, but dry, read more like a compilation of letters.
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this book is great i recommend this to everyone
Laura Lee
Well researched. Pretty good.
Laura Williams
Laura Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
  • A Circle of Sisters: Alice Kipling, Georgiana Burne-Jones, Agnes Poynter and Louisa Baldwin
  • Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale
  • Mistress of the Elgin Marbles: A Biography of Mary Nisbet, Countess of Elgin
  • The Viceroy's Daughters: The Lives of the Curzon Sisters
  • The Women of the House: How a Colonial She-Merchant Built a Mansion, a Fortune, and a Dynasty
  • George Eliot: The Last Victorian
  • The Roosevelt Women: A Portrait In Five Generations
  • Five Sisters: The Langhornes of Virginia
  • Uppity Women of the Renaissance
  • Consuelo and Alva Vanderbilt: The Story of a Daughter and a Mother in the Gilded Age
  • Jennie: The Life of Lady Randolph Churchill, Vol 2
  • The Unruly Queen: The Life of Queen Caroline
  • A Royal Passion: The Turbulent Marriage of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France
  • Court Lady and Country Wife: Two Noble Sisters in Seventeenth-Century England
  • Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown
  • Bombay Anna: The Real Story and Remarkable Adventures of the "King and I" Governess
  • In A Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess
  • Edward VII: The Last Victorian King
20246
Anne Sebba began her writing career at the BBC world service, Arabic section, while still a student. After graduating from King’s College, London in Modern European History, she worked as a foreign correspondent for Reuters in London and Rome, the first woman Reuters accepted on their Graduate Trainee Scheme. In 1975 she moved to New York with her husband and first baby returning two years later w ...more
More about Anne Sebba...