Detecting Magic with Dick Hunter: The Mort des Hommes Files

Detecting Magic with Dick Hunter: The Mort des Hommes Files

2.8 of 5 stars 2.80  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  8 reviews
What begins as a routine missing person case for Seattle's best private investigator, Dick Hunter, turns into a personal vendetta against a cruel murderer. The murderer, Mort Des Hommes happens to posses powerful magic.

In order to solve the case and avenge a death, Dick Hunter has to take a crash course in magic from the beautiful Jinn Amie, and gather magical animal famil...more
Published (first published February 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Detecting Magic with Dick Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detecting Magic with Dick Hunter

Dannye
A Little Bit of Marlowe And a Whole Lot of Magic

Unusual in its presentation, Detecting Magic With Dick Hunter: The Mort Des Hommes Files is a novella by A. Jarrell Hayes. Dick Hunter smacks of the private eye, Phillip Marlowe, from the 1940s. Marlowe’s traits were once described as “the loneliness, the quick, sarcastic cynical jibes masking a battered romantic, the love/hate relationship with the cops,” all of which seem to be part of Hunter’s personality as well.

The magical creatures essential...more
Ben
This is a first-reads review.

Hayes lays down a story like no other. It has an interesting cast of characters, a new mythos for a familiar world, and an easy readability. Stylistically, it evokes a "hard-boiled detective" from the black and white films, with a sarcasm and lighthearted touch more evocative of today's action films with elements of romantic comedies.

Dick Hunter is a surly character, yet he manages to cope well with the magical idiosyncrasies of the novel. It offers an interesting di...more
Leona Romich
Gates of Hell

Detecting Magic With Dick Hunter by A. Jarrell Hayes is a tall tale about detective Dick Hunter. Dick Hunter is a former cop, turned private detective, hired to find a missing husband. In his search for the missing man, he runs across a scene his eyes refuses to believe.

As he tries to solve the mystery, Dick realizes this story is about to take a bizarre turn for the worst. Dick meets the beautiful Jinn Aime that he soon finds out is actually 300 years-old and a cast of magical ani...more
Charlene
This novella has a very noir detective feel. Dick Hunter has a casual, aloof and sarcastic manner even though he is very much determined to understand the horrific death of his client’s husband. Enter the Jinn and her magical familiars. The story takes a fantastical turn as the author reveals a new magical history to our world. I felt that the story moved at a rapid pace, and had alot of action, but I did not really connect with the characters, especially with Dick Hunter. He felt too one-note,...more
David
May 06, 2011 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every one how likes magic
the book was great I liked the fact that Mr Hayes took a non believer in magic and made him into a believer by the end of the book.

Dick Hunter is hired to find a missing person and while on the case finds himself knee deep {or in this case top of his head deep} in magic with woodland animals talking to him and a number of other things he personally can not explain.

well I guess people will have to read the book to find out what I mean by this but it was a great page turner
Gabbie fox
Feb 12, 2013 Gabbie fox rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would saay it is best fot 12 and up.
Recommended to Gabbie by: My dad
In compliance with FTC guidelines, please disclose in your review that you received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.My dad won this book for the family. I think it is a really good book and enjoyed reading it a lot. I could not put the book down I just wanted to get to the end to see what happened.
Sam
Awesome book. There were times where the book remained me a whole lot of Supernatural. The book had angels and demons and a guy trying to stop the end of the world, just like supernatural. Very cool book.
Janice
It was awesome! I enjoyed reading this book.
Erica
Erica added it
Apr 07, 2013
Deranged Pegasus
Deranged Pegasus marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2012
Xiri
Xiri marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2012
Kat (idangerous)
Kat (idangerous) marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Ellie_b
Ellie_b marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2011
Jessica Dumitru
Jessica Dumitru marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2011
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2011
jennbunny Byrkit
jennbunny Byrkit marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2011
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
May 30, 2011
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2011
T
T marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2011
Kristen N.
Kristen N. marked it as to-read
Tami Montano
Tami Montano marked it as to-read
Angee Bartlett
Angee Bartlett marked it as to-read
YYY
YYY marked it as to-read
Lavender
Lavender marked it as to-read
SK
SK marked it as to-read
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Favorite Magic Creature? 1 2 May 09, 2011 02:50PM
Popular Television 100 + 1 Haiku Crowning of the Good King A Nice Run The Enchanted Prince