Start by marking “Bone Blind” as Want to Read:
Bone Blind

Bone Blind

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Only the flame from a curious candle holder illuminated the murdered corpse of Karl Knock on a bitterly cold Massachusetts night twenty years in the past. When the efforts of local, state and federal investigators failed to cast more light on the crime than the little candle did, the case gathered dust, unsolved and forgotten. But when horror novelist Finn Ryan gets an inv ...more
Published February 23rd 2011 by CreateSpace (first published February 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Blind

Ellen
Aug 16, 2012 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear, I fear that Ms. Padgett may see my three star review and place me right in the middle of her book review secret code. Egads, I loved Padgett's earlier published mysteries, with their interesting twists and intriguing protagonists with a difference. So, why am I not celebrating her latest book, which I believe is a self-published effort?

It's not for the reasons she had trouble publishing it. According to her blog, her agent loved it. Editors even liked it a lot, but it wasn't publishable
Judie
Sep 19, 2013 Judie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BONE BLIND begins twenty years ago with a one-page prologue describing the grisly scene of the murder of a man, Karl Knock. It quickly jumps twenty years to Finn Ryan, the author of a series of horror books, working on his latest story when“ an enchanting woman died and an undead thing was born.”
I was ready to stop reading at this point because while I do like to read mysteries, I rarely like horror stories or science fiction. I am glad I persevered.
In chapter 2, we are introduced to Detectiv
M. Locke
Feb 19, 2011 M. Locke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richly layered, suspenseful mystery

I have read all of Padgett’s books, her Bo Bradley series, starting with Child of Silence, and her two Bo McCarron books, and loved them all. So I was excited to read this new, stand-alone mystery that just came out. I was completely enthralled. In Bone Blind, Padgett does a masterful job of telling the story of two men, Ryan Finn and Warren Yost, as they slowly, suspensefully, and at first separately, unwind the mysteries behind a twenty-year old murder. Ryan
Roberta Smith
Nov 14, 2013 Roberta Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book I thought for sure I'd found a book that was a home run. The plot drew me in right away. The author knows how to put words together and layered characters that were unique and real. Never once did I not want to finish reading this book. I had to know what was going to happen.

But as I got closer to the end of the story, things crumbled a bit. I thought Finn was an idiot for not telling Yost (the detective) everything he knew. Tally got to be too screwy and I
Mike
Sep 15, 2013 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to this book when I read the synopsis but I have to say I found it very irksome to read. At the beginning of the book I thought it would have some character to it and be an interesting mystery read but jeez, the further along I read the harder it was; it felt like walking through a tar pit, with each step you just get stuck deeper & deeper.
I'm rarely this harsh on a book critique but I'll try to explain my reasoning behind it. First off, the story was created in
Anne
Feb 17, 2015 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-aside
This was just a strange book. The culprit was easy to figure out about 1/2 way through so the ending was a bit anti climactic. It was a very wordy book and some things throughout made little sense in context. The story and the storyline took me out of my comfort zone as far as my normal read. So in that regard I'm glad I read it.
Pierre Sr.
It took me a little while to really get into the story at first. My problem was trying to understand what was actually going on, because the author has an author as one of her main characters, and this fellow is writing a story, within the story. And then there is another character who is a policeman and this other guy has his own story...

Well, after a few chapters, you get to understand who's who and what they are doing in this "who dunnit" mystery.

Bone Blind is very well written. If you like l
Kayeb
Sep 15, 2013 Kayeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this really not expecting to enjoy it...and I did. There are several themes that draw closer together throughout the course of the book and do so in a way that leads you to see the end, but not be totally sure that's where it is headed.

Will look for more of her work.

Patricia Reding
I got a free download of Bone Blind on Amazon. In exchange, I offer the author this, my honest review.

Finn Ryan is an author. Horror stories are his bailiwick. Specifically, zombie stories set in Victorian times. His work is renowned. His research on everything from nineteenth century embalming practices to Victorian psychiatric hospitals to fairy lamps is detailed. For example, Finn considers: does his story require that he refer to the fabric in question as “crepe”—a rumpled fabric, or “crape”
Janice
Fans of Abigail Padgett's Bo Bradley mysteries know she's an exquisite stylist. BONE BLIND showcases her gift for creating atmosphere, and the atmosphere here is brilliantly dark. Boston horror novelist Finn Ryan is writing a gothic tale about a demon bride when he becomes entangled with Tally Serzak, another horror writer who has her own touch of the demonic; she's linked to a grisly unsolved murder that happened 20 years earlier. At the same time their obsessive romance unfolds, a local cop, o ...more
Evelyn
Jul 12, 2014 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
20 years ago a man, Karl Knock, was killed by a coat hanger in his eye.
Finn Ryan is a writer with a daughter, Katie, who limps due to an accident. Another man is murdered in a motel by being stabbed with a pen 37 times. Warren Yost is a cop about to retire. Together Ryan and Yost solve the murders. Exciting book that you don't want to put down.
Cole
Nov 17, 2013 Cole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is well written but verbose, and delves into unnecessary details. It focuses on an author’s struggle to finish his own book while trying to understand the childish antics of another author he is obsessed with. In the meantime, a detective is trying to solve a twenty-year-old murder. A lot of time is spent in the world of the author’s book, and it (probably unintentionally) created an “Inception” style book-within-a-book world. I had trouble identifying what I needed to care about and w ...more
Kim
Mar 04, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found many parts boring, mostly about the writer and his book. He seemed to enjoy his research more than his writing. I'd figured out the end before I got there, there were a few too many clues. I enjoyed Yost's character, flawed, trying to do one more good deed before retiring. Deserves another proofreading, spotted several typos in here as well, glad it was a free download. It could have been better with a few changes, but not a completely horrible read.
Desmond Jacobs
Sep 19, 2013 Desmond Jacobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book and so well written you forget all time and previous commitments. The writing style in this book grabs you from the start. You don’t have to spend ten pages wondering if you are going to like it, finish it, or turn the page.

Fin Ryan is a character that is easy to spend the evening with, as are all the others in this book. It has high levels of tensions that break with unexpected humor. It makes the funny parts so much funnier for how intense everything is otherwise.

This is as g
Joni
Nov 13, 2013 Joni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely engaging and interesting tale of a horror novel writer and how he creates his novels and gets caught up in the world of a twenty-year-old murder by accident…using Boston and its rich New England suburbia as a backdrop Abigail Padgett draws the reader beautifully into the world of Finnegan Ryan who is desperately trying to complete his Victorian novel of a zombie bride while balancing his guilt over his daughter's accident seven years earlier and his desire for a mysterious horror writ ...more
Pam
May 21, 2015 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I did not like it as well as her other series of mysteries.
Susan
Jul 01, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy and crazy and deliciously scary!
Karen
This book got better as it went along ;though started off slow. I love how the protagonist got stronger in character. A great ending. I almost cried. I would give this a 5. And though there was very little bad language, there was flippant sex-the latter is what really made me cringe. because there was a few bits of foul language and the sex, I had to drop the book to a 3. This book was free on Kindle. I would not like to buy it with the 2 issues I mentioned in it.
Liz
Jan 25, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mystery/suspense; a little clunky but some nice scenes.
Lisa
Sep 29, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an unusual story, if I were a writer I think I could understand more the mind of this character better,It was a good story that had a shadow of another in the background.which I thought was very clever of Abigail Padgett.
Patricia
Feb 09, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
A story within a story. As Finn Ryan is writing a Victorian horror book he comes across a real life horror story
while a soon to be retired cop is trying to close a 20 year old murder.

non graphic sex and a murder
Rachelle
Sep 21, 2013 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually 3-1/2 stars, this book seemingly two different story lines twists and merges to an ending you think you may have figured out early on. But remember the twists. I enjoyed the read.
Chrissy
Oct 25, 2014 Chrissy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I quit this one someplace in the first half. Just not my cup of tea-at all.
Jacquie
I could not put this book down. The story twisted in many directions I did not expect.
Rhonda Ritchie-Warren
Another good mystery with twists and turns sigh a surprise ending.
Angie
Jul 16, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill
Excellent book - I loved the story within a story .
Kathryn Moore
Oct 28, 2013 Kathryn Moore marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
set it aside for now. may come back to it later
Vikas Datta
Genuinely creeping but engrossing...
BC or Brenda
Reading on my Kindle.
  • Family Cursemas (The Megamillionaire Murders)
  • Purified
  • 11:59
  • Alive and Killing (David Wolf #3)
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Tangled Web
  • Sex. Murder. Mystery. (True Crime box set)
  • Betrayed
  • The Threat
  • The Mamacita Murders
  • The Donzerly Light
  • Blood Sacrifice (John Jordan Mystery, #5)
  • The Card Counter
  • Swan Loch
  • Name and Number
  • Life Blood
  • The Clean Home: Step by Step Guide to Keep Your Home Clean, Organized and Spotless;60 Non-Toxic DIY Cleaners and Stain Removal Formulas
  • Stark Warning