Start by marking “Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share” as Want to Read:
Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share

Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
It is a small world, after all!

Here are step-by-step instructions for making tiny teddy bears, little ladybugs, petite porcupines, itsy-bitsy bikinis, and much, much more! Microcrafts shows crafters how to create dozens of miniature treasures, each no larger than a spool of thread. No previous crafting experience or pricey materials are necessary—just a love of all things
Published October 4th 2011 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Microcrafts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microcrafts

Rebecca
Feb 13, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book makes me talk in a squeaky voice and remember my obsession with small things as a kid (doll houses, doll clothes, tiny books, etc). Teddy bears in matchbox beds? I'm all over that. Props to the authors for large pictures, very nice design, and a lot of great synonyms for "small."

To remember:

p. 33 - Flower Pocket Pendants (pocket as opposed to locket)
p. 42 - itty bitty houseplants (this might be the cutest thing ever -- teen program idea?)
p. 56 - Paper Balloons (white floral wire as "s
Alicia Kachmar
Mar 20, 2011 Alicia Kachmar marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey look another book co-authored by ME!!!
Shala Kerrigan
Dec 14, 2011 Shala Kerrigan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share is a compilation of tiny handmade crafts that can be used as jewelry, gifts and little decorations and whimsy on shelves.

I'm absolutely charmed by tiny things and as you all know, I love crafts, all sorts of crafts. So this collection was a winner from the start with it's cover of a tiny stitched cat next to a spool of thread.

Tiny projects that are stitched, cut, felted, knotted, knit, crocheted, sculpted and in the best crafting tradition, make use
Lilac Wolf
Nov 02, 2011 Lilac Wolf rated it it was amazing
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I'm still enthralled by all the tiny crafts in this book. There are pictures, traceable patterns and step-by-step instructions to walk you through whichever craft you'd like to attempt. There weren't too many that were my style, but I saw many that I want to try or that I think friends would make.

There are candy charms made with clay, tiny felted cats and dogs, boats, microtaxidermy (little deer heads, bears, birds, etc), fabric buttons, tiny flower pots with a tiny plan
jessica
May 13, 2012 jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty-mcgee
oh my god, y'all. just the photos alone make this book awesome, but then there are templates and instructions for making them!
i really like this introduction:
"hello! if you're reading this book, chances are you already have a minor obsession with adorably tiny trinkets and treasures. But microcrafting isn't just about a love of all things small. it's really all about putting odds and ends to good use."
who doesn't have tons of odds and ends to use up?
Melissa Lee-tammeus
Feb 17, 2012 Melissa Lee-tammeus rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
I loved the idea of this book. I think this would be a fabulous edition for anyone who makes dollhouse crafts of loves intricate details. There is a terrific craft for mini books. But it was a bit too involved for my taste. And honestly, the biggest thing to make was about the size of my thumbnail. I don't think I have the patience to make something that I can only see with a magnifying glass when I'm done. But those who do? Rock on!
Carol Harlow
Oct 19, 2011 Carol Harlow rated it it was amazing
If you like to create little things,this is the book for you. If you’re not sure you want to create little things,then just pick up this book and take a look! This book has so many great little projects! There are sweet little Monster Babies and Accessories,Hansel and Gretel Cards with matching Envelopes and even little Books you can make! So,if you like to create little treasures,this is the book to help you create!
Heidi Ramsey
Jan 30, 2014 Heidi Ramsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-challenge
Lots of fun ideas! Cute crafts and the templates are included.
Tamara
Oct 13, 2011 Tamara rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
You will be sure to talk in a high squeaky voice about this book.
These would make fun projects for spontaneous and anonymous gift giving.

Favorites
Mini books (p7)
Mini temp tattoos (of course I want the black silhouette kitty, p73)
Speech bubble toothpicks for parties (p65)

The One I Have Any Inkling of Actually Making
Flower pocket pendants (p33)
Westerville
Oct 14, 2011 Westerville rated it liked it
Shelves: adults, non-fiction
"You will be sure to talk in a high squeaky voice about this book. These would make fun projects for spontaneous and anonymous gift giving." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Traci Lee
Mar 27, 2013 Traci Lee rated it it was amazing
This book has directions to create some of the cutest miniatures. It is not limited to just decorations for your dollhouse, but includes decorations for your next cake, ideas for jewelry, and more. The pictures are wonderful, and the writing has a wonderful humor. I highly recommend!
Katey
Nov 11, 2011 Katey rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, crafty
What I liked most was the varied ideas in this book, from a variety of crafters. (But everything is incredibly cute and tiny!) Sure, there were some that didn't appeal to me at all, but the others made up for it plenty. Definitely a book I'll have to come back to.
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing
It is very rare for me to love every project in a book, but this one did. I added this to my amazon wish list. This craftyness is full of fun stuff and I wanted to try it all out. Well worth your time if you want to expand your artistic capabilities.
Ita
Jan 29, 2013 Ita rated it liked it
This book contains quite a few felt crafts, which don't interest me because they won't hold up outside. But there are a few which will be useful for my miniature gardening hobby. The instructions are complete and clear with good quality pictures.
Genevieve
Nov 12, 2011 Genevieve rated it really liked it
Apparently I'm not as into tiny things as I thought. I had no real desire to make anything from this book, except the owl, which is what brought me to it in the first place. Still 4 stars for nice photos and general hipster cuteness.
Julie Waldman
Mar 15, 2013 Julie Waldman rated it really liked it
What a fun little book! I'll probably never do any of these things, but when I saw it at the library I couldn't pass it up, teeny tiny books, stuffed animals, party hats and more, with great illustrations.
Kristina
Jul 02, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-b
B and I had so much fun looking through this book. We picked out several projects to work on together. We especially liked the miniature deer heads and other "taxidermy"- all made out of clay.
Cindy
Mar 08, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts-hobbies
This book is wonderful. I want to make everything in this book. The directions are easy to follow and the photos are inspirational. The patterns are easy to copy and adjust.
Shayna Ross
Mar 18, 2013 Shayna Ross rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
Super cute! Although remember, you have to want to make miniature things to truly enjoy this book. I did enjoy looking through this book though, just to see the creative ideas.
Molly
Jun 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-books
Whimsy, indeed. These were super cute, and besides the fact that I don't have anyone who would appreciate any of these as a gift, I think that they would make really cute gifts.
Charlou Lunsford
Feb 10, 2013 Charlou Lunsford rated it really liked it
Someday I will make the tiny books. I so want the tiny books. Well, and a bunch of the other things. And thanks to Amy I have a start with a deer head!
Mical
Feb 01, 2012 Mical rated it liked it
cute little things to make. little is good. especially when you have lots of artists in your home. little takes up less room and no less special.
Y
Oct 22, 2011 Y rated it liked it
Recommends it for: crafters
Shelves: read-in-2011
Cute ideas. My favourites are: bottle cap frames (pg 11), candy charms (pg 15), speech bubbles (pg 65) and spool dolls (pg 67)
Tisha
Dec 28, 2011 Tisha rated it really liked it
This was a really cute book, if not something I'd actually use to craft something.
Wendy
Mar 12, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Cute ideas, but nothing I'm dying to make.
Amy
Nov 19, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfict, crafts, adorbs
Expect tiny things from me this holiday season!
Jan
Jun 09, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
Ok - lots of felting tho.
Cheri
Shelves: gift-list
amelia
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • The Big-Ass Book of Home Décor: More Than 100 Inventive Projects for Cool Homes Like Yours
  • The Repurposed Library
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • Embroidery Companion: Classic Designs for Modern Living
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • The Star Wars Craft Book
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »