Start by marking “Run Catch Kiss: A Gratifying Novel” as Want to Read:
Run Catch Kiss: A Gratifying Novel

Run Catch Kiss: A Gratifying Novel

"I was only twenty-two and already I was infamous...." From New York's most popular alternative-press columnist comes "Run Catch Kiss," a sharp and irresistible novel of love, sex, scandal, and the pursuit of a boyfriend.

After graduating from Brown University, saucy, vivacious Ariel Steiner returns to her native New York City to become an actress and take the world by stor
Published July 6th 1999 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Run Catch Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Catch Kiss

Jan
Oct 09, 2012 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novelist Amy Sohn's protagonist, Ariel Steiner, writes a sex column for an East Village weekly. Amy Sohn, at the time the novel was published, had been writing a sex column for a New York newspaper for three years. Ariel and Amy are both Jewish, both Ivy-League educated, and the same age. Ariel ends up embellishing or fabricating several of her column adventures. At least one of these escapades is with a woman, called "Beat Writer" in the novel's column. Amy Sohn's actual column also contained a ...more
Meri
Jul 05, 2012 Meri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good enough read, but I couldn't get it out of my mind as I was reading that it felt like I was reading the book version of Hannah from the show "Girls." This book might be several years old, but it felt contemporary as far as womens' sexuality and the way it feels to be a single or attached girl.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Why?
I should have known.
This book was no good for the start.
But I did make it through a lot of it.
Not really my thing.
I have stepped away from the chick books.
But if you like chick lit books this might be what you are looking for.
Ciara
Sep 23, 2008 Ciara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring sex columnists, failed actresses, no one related to amy sohn
wait, why did i read this? i don't know. i saw it at a thirft store & it caught my eye, & later i saw it at the library & was like, okay, why not? it's the tale of a sex columnist whose sex column ends up wreaking some serious havoc on her dating life. she tries to write only about true sexual things she has done, but as her readership expands, it naturally demands more depravity than she is really comfortable with, & she has her dad trying to hide the column from his lecherous c ...more
okyrhoe
Feb 06, 2013 okyrhoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, u-s-a
Read this under the duress of insomnia, almost in one go... and finished the last pages the next afternoon when I woke up again.
Not much to say except it's readable.
Better than SATC, for sure; although I don't think a comparison is fair to RCK. If pressed, I'd say that Amy Sohn's prose is closer to the style of Ariel Levy and Elizabeth Wurtzel. RCK reads like something they would likely have penned if they had been asked to write chick-lit fiction.
Sohn can write, and is very good with narrati
Tania
Aug 19, 2011 Tania rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I barely finished this book, and I was extremely disappointed. I was looking forward to reading the novel, as I'm a huge fan of the TV show Sex in the City, and I'm a fan of the "20/30 something female looking for love" genre. But this book fell flat.

Some of the events were mildly amusing, but not funny enough to warrant the length of the book. The foul language seemed as though it was there more to shock the reader than anything. The sex scenes were boring. And, worst of all, there was no chara
Jen B
Sep 19, 2008 Jen B rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first chick lit books I ever read, right after my college graduation, in the jobless days I spent lounging on my parents' sofa. It seemed like such a perfect read for me - a single, newly graduated heroine, ready to take on the big city. I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it in the least. I am not a prude, but I couldn't get past the vulgarity; it's a little...um, frank, I guess you could say, about the main character's sexual exploits. Reading about a ...more
Courtney
Jun 02, 2015 Courtney rated it liked it
The ending was very rushed and then abrupt. Normally I don't like the "unfinished" endings where you can decipher whether or not it's good, but this seemed slightly more uplifting than others.
The book was really a tale about how hard it is to be a woman - both in love and in life (career, friends, self-image, etc.) There definitely were moments I connected with but other times it just seemed too unrealistic.
Jennie
Aug 21, 2008 Jennie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is what Sex and the City (the series, not the book) would be if instead of a fabulous 30something with great friends, Carrie were a slovenly, mostly friendless 20something with little or no self-esteem who constantly let men degrade her so that she could have material for her column. At first it's kind of funny how appalling her behavior is (and even then you're laughing at her, not with her), but it quickly becomes merely tedious and gross.
Janelle
Apr 15, 2009 Janelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my eye at the library, and I checked it out because the description sounded really good... a struggling actress turned writer... I thought I could relate to that. But, I hated this book. The main character was putting herself in situations where she was allowing herself to be sexually abused. It made me sick and I didn't even finish this book because I couldn't stand how depressed it was making me.
Meredith
May 01, 2007 Meredith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago and according to the 4 stars I gave it then, I apparently liked it. Maybe I've become a prude in my older years, but I did not enjoy it much at all this time around. Too crude for my liking!
Kathleen Meacham
Jan 10, 2015 Kathleen Meacham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 1999, but would NEVER read it now (2015) because my life has changed considerably, and the premise of this book is "unsavory". That said, even back in 1999, I still did not like it.
Becky
Aug 30, 2007 Becky rated it did not like it
Shelves: hate, fiction
I've seen this called a guilty pleasure. I feel guilty for having read it, but I got no pleasure from the experience. This was part of the early chick-lit boom. It should have stayed in the slush pile. Irritating tripe, poorly executed.
Biwi
Jan 22, 2008 Biwi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like sex and the city, you will enjoy the printed version. It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember there being parts where I really liked the main character, and other times where I really hated her. It was a good balance though.
Jolie Longstocking
One of my all time faves read it when on the occasional need of a fun read... Lots of sexy lingo crazy NYC realness
Bars all over manhattan and Bob Dylan.... Lots of mention of my favorite Dylan album Nashville Skyline!

Great fun beach read!!
Jaime Hudson
I wanted to put this book down, but yet again I really wanted to like this book. I kept trudging along through the filth, bore, and occasional giggles. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either.
Stacie (BTR)
Aug 27, 2012 Stacie (BTR) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This was the very first chick-lit book I ever read. Since then, I have realized that there are many, many, many books just like this one. One quality that I found unique and enjoyable about this story is the author's frank writing style.
Anne
Dec 28, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young, sexy, and living in NYC. This is a pre-Sex & The City adventure
romp through urban single life. Funny, embarassing, transparent,
contemporary. Not on your mother's reading list!
Stormbattereddragon
Jul 18, 2011 Stormbattereddragon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can laugh about sex
Shelves: 5-stars-imo
Sexy fun!
Paige
Aug 31, 2007 Paige rated it really liked it
I can't really call this chick lit. It's too deliciously raunchy and honest. Call it Sex in the City with way bigger balls.
Michele Kabacinski
Started out with good momentum and a catchy plot but got stale and tedious about midway through.
Sarah Berman
Jan 22, 2016 Sarah Berman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brown-university
For better or worse, I really identified with the story--reminded me of college.
Crystal Ledger
Jul 13, 2007 Crystal Ledger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Amy Sohn is a great writer.
Nicky
Apr 21, 2010 Nicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick read. I'm a sucker for stories about a young New York girl making her way in the big bad city.
Nicole
Oct 19, 2009 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this long, long ago (embarrassingly, in hardback) but it's never too late to say that you dislike a book, which might save others from making the same mistake. :)
Kristina
Apr 20, 2007 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
damn good for chick lit. I don't usually like this kind of book, but this one was entertaining
Jan 03, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read!
snb
Sep 10, 2007 snb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cool book. Lots of humor to the narrator's voice--that sarcastic funny that I love. This got me through my first New England summer back in 2000.
Christine Castaldi
WOW!!!
Meredith
Sep 06, 2014 Meredith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth the time but was something to read.
  • Going Down
  • Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York
  • Teenie
  • what purpose did i serve in your life
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs
  • Losing It
  • Starting Out in the Evening
  • A Bunch of Pretty Things I Did Not Buy
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • J'aurais adoré être ethnologue
  • Larger Than Life
  • Lust and Other Stories
  • The Dance of Time: The Origins of the Calendar: A Miscellany of History and Myth, Religion and Astronomy, Festivals and Feast Days
  • Me Times Three
  • The Barbie Chronicles: A Living Doll Turns Forty
  • Sincerely, Mayla (Just As I Am, #2)
  • Embrace Me
  • The Year of Reading Proust: A Memoir in Real Time
Amy Sohn is the author of the upcoming novel The Actress, which will be published by Simon & Schuster in July 2014. Her other novels are Motherland, Prospect Park West, My Old Man, and Run Catch Kiss. She has been a columnist at New York magazine, New York Press, the New York Post and Grazia (UK). She has also written for The New York Times, The Nation, and Harper's Bazaar. She has written pil ...more
More about Amy Sohn...