Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women

Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women (Bad Girls of the Bible #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,063 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Women everywhere marvel at those “good girls” in Scripture–Sarah, Mary, Esther–but on most days, that’s not who they see when they look in the mirror. Most women (if they’re honest) see the selfishness of Sapphira or the deception of Delilah. They catch of glimpse of Jezebel’s take-charge pride or Eve’s disastrous disobedience. Like Bathsheba, Herodias, and the rest, today...more
Published September 26th 2000 by WaterBrook Press (first published 2000)

KDNH
The sequel to Bad Girls of the Bible, Really Bad Girls of the Bible, delves even deeper into the lives of less than perfect women of the Bible and lessons we can learn from them. I found this one to be more interesting in the sense that the women found in this edition are lesser known. Though Bathsheba and Tamar are more familiar stories, it was nice to study other women with small roles (the medium at Endor, Athaliah, Jael, Herodias, and the Bleeding Woman and the Adulteress.)

After reading the...more
Narelle
Before reading this book I was wondering how the author would write a modern day fictionalised account of Tamar’s unique story. We read about a very wronged woman from Los Vegas who loses both of her husbands before being sent home to her family by her father-in-law. The chapter on Tamar gives us an insight into the struggles she faced and the enormous risks she took to regain her status and rightful inheritance.

The chapters are easy to read and contain a commentary on the Biblical story of each...more
Danielle Brown
I guess I am the only person who did not enjoy this book. I think the modern day comparisons fell flat and did not follow the biblical story. I disagreed with the author's opinion more than once; most notably with the story of Jael.

The book was good as a group discussion but I would never have read it on my own.
Heather
Thoroughly enjoyable and eye-opening. Higgs takes more obscure female characters from favorite Bible verses, and re-writes them into a contemporary format to make the comparison of "then" and "now" a little easier to understand. She follows each re-written story with a discourse on what the original text means, and follows up with study questions (for either the individual or group) to reflect upon. A great resource for understanding the female roles of the Bible, as well as for helping a woman'...more
Lisa Troesser phillips
I love this topic and have done others similar to it. This particular book feels jumbled and it takes a lot of discipline to work through it. Not all the characters are "bad girls", so the title is teaching a bit. Also, the author never lists the full passage that the story comes from but instead gives it in tiny bits & pieces making it difficult to follow. Verses are scattered throughout the commentary, sometimes from unrelated Bible stories that are then taken out of context. I found it mo...more
Lily

* Paperback: 272 pages
* Publisher: Water Brook Press; First edition (September 19, 2000)
* ISBN-10: 1578561264
* Cover Art: This is the cover I have, but out of all of them it is my least favorite.
* Author: Liz Curtis Higgs
* Overall rating: ***** out of 5 stars
* Obtained: My personal book shelf.

Really Bad Girls of the Bible by Liz Curtis Higgs

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Rachel Berry
A combination of present day stories based on biblical women, this book is more of a guide to a really interesting women's bible study than the escape from my life fiction book I was looking for. Interesting, but not thrilling or much of an escape from reality. Actually, hit too close to reality for it to be "entertaining". Too much thinking and reflecting required for me to classify it as one of my favs.
Rachel Nichols
This book was amazing just like the first one. Everything I said for the review of Bad Girls of The Bible will be the same as this one. Liz tells a modern story followed by the real story from the Bible. She tells about the woman's trails and how they deal with them. As you read this book you can probably relate to the Bad Girls of the Bible I know i did. I would recommend this book to any Christian woman it's encouraging and helpful. I learned a lot from it and I hope you enjoy the book.
Ingrid
This was the product of a church bible study. If you are of a conservative bent, then I think the author's point of view will appeal more to you. However, in the beginning when we used the workbook, I (and my study group) found myself (ourselves) irritated with her implications. Once we gave up on the workbook and just read the stories and analyzed/discussed them ourselves, we enjoyed it much more.

Katrina
My friend allowed me to borrow this book, and I thank her for it. This book gives you a new way to look at the women of the bible, and causes you to rethink the actions of women in todays society as they relate to the bible. It was a great bible study and Liz Higgs has a very easy to read writting style. I would recommend this to women who want to take a closer look at their lives.
Elisabeth
Sep 07, 2010 Elisabeth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love it, she takes a "bad" girl from scripture and turns her crime/sin into a modern tale of nefarious behavior. Then after we've all thoroughly judged and condemned the woman she reveals her Biblical character (if you hadn't already guessed!) and dissects why she did what she did. Then pronounces a final judgement: Bad girl, really bad girl, good girl doing bad for a reason...etc.
Rhonda
This is a wonderful book about how God is always in control. Liz Curtis Higgs recounts the stories of women in the Bible who made bad decisions, and takes us on a journey of Bible study that is uplifting and encouraging for us all. She begins each Biblical woman's story with a modern illustration and ends each one with questions and discussions. I loved this book.
Jayne
I read this as part of a women's bible study and it provoked lots of good discussion. I did find modern day stories a little harder to compare to the Bible stories in some cases, generally because the rolls of women in today's society, at least in the US, are somewhat more liberal than they were in biblical society.
Rosina
This book hurts to read and you notice how much alike all the "bad girls" you really are. There are sciptural refrences that I took the time to look up and study further myself. What an eye opener. Well worth my time and something that has had an impact on my life.
Charity U
Awesome book. Very similar to Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them, but different women.
Em
Lost me by page 21 where she went on about how anyone with a 6th sense is a wicca and "a stones throw away from disaster", so if you're a Christian who happens to have some sort of God given 6th sense, don't even bother because, apparently, you're evil.
Katara
Such an awesome read. Love how the author gives the timeless bible stories modern-day interpretations. This book gave me a truly new perspective on the Bible, the various characters in it and life. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Kimberly
we're going through the first version (bad girls of the bible) in my bible study so i decided to read this one, too. i like how she uses some lesser known characters (athaliah, for example) which is something that we don't think about a whole lot.
This series was my fist bible study I did independently and was a great recap of women in the bible. When we as Christian women feel less than it is good to see women in the bible who we can relate to or realize that no one is perfect.
Dietra Henschel
I really loved this book and what you can learn from these ladies. We had really great discussions about this in my Sunday School Class.
Lori Dent
The fictional stories were great cross referenced with true bible storys. I'm learning allot of bible history on these women in the bible. we are studying this as a group in my wednesday night bible study. I love this book
Diane
This sounds like fun. My neices, daughter-in-law and I are doing sort of an online Bible Study using this book. The neices are mostly in charge because they are also doing the study through their church.
Anna
I loved it cried through alot of it and God's grace was just so evidently shown in these womens lives it amazed me again and again that God would choose those women and us to be apart of His plan
Beverly
Liz Curtis Higgs did a great job describing the Biblical character and the modern day person portrayed in each chapter. I very much enjoyed the book.
Amanda
It is an uplifting read, a reminder that even the women in the Bible were less than perfect. So maybe, just maybe, there's hope for you and me :)
Many of these were not "really" bad, but it was a very intersting read with some stories I either had never heard or had forgotten.
Brittany
A fresh perspective on these women from the bible helped me to understand and learn (what not to do) from these women.
Shelly
I loved it! Entertaining, thought provoking and informative. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Najwa Ghosn
Its very nice reminder that no matter what we do, God's love and mercy will always reach out for our hearts.
Wmd9800
Great book. Reminds us that God uses the broken and hurt to further His kingdom. He loves us. No matter what.
  • Women of the Bible
  • Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy - Member Book
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?
  • Unashamed: Rahab (Lineage of Grace, #2)
  • Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks
  • What the Bible Is All About Bible Handbook NIV Edition
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark
  • Baptism And Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today (IVP Classics)
  • The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary Language
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...
Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them Thorn in My Heart (Lowlands of Scotland, #1) Whence Came a Prince (Lowlands of Scotland, #3) Fair Is the Rose (Lowlands of Scotland, #2) Grace in Thine Eyes (Lowlands of Scotland, #4)