Start by marking “Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women” as Want to Read:
Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women

Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women (Bad Girls of the Bible #2)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,373 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Women everywhere marvel at those “good girls” in Scripture–Sarah, Mary, Esther–but on most days, that’s not who they see when they look in the mirror. Most women (if they’re honest) see the selfishness of Sapphira or the deception of Delilah. They catch of glimpse of Jezebel’s take-charge pride or Eve’s disastrous disobedience. Like Bathsheba, Herodias, and the rest, today ...more
Published September 26th 2000 by WaterBrook Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Really Bad Girls of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Really Bad Girls of the Bible

The sequel to Bad Girls of the Bible, Really Bad Girls of the Bible, delves even deeper into the lives of less than perfect women of the Bible and lessons we can learn from them. I found this one to be more interesting in the sense that the women found in this edition are lesser known. Though Bathsheba and Tamar are more familiar stories, it was nice to study other women with small roles (the medium at Endor, Athaliah, Jael, Herodias, and the Bleeding Woman and the Adulteress.)

After reading the
Before reading this book I was wondering how the author would write a modern day fictionalised account of Tamar’s unique story. We read about a very wronged woman from Los Vegas who loses both of her husbands before being sent home to her family by her father-in-law. The chapter on Tamar gives us an insight into the struggles she faced and the enormous risks she took to regain her status and rightful inheritance.

The chapters are easy to read and contain a commentary on the Biblical story of each
Danielle Hartzler
I guess I am the only person who did not enjoy this book. I think the modern day comparisons fell flat and did not follow the biblical story. I disagreed with the author's opinion more than once; most notably with the story of Jael.

The book was good as a group discussion but I would never have read it on my own.
Thoroughly enjoyable and eye-opening. Higgs takes more obscure female characters from favorite Bible verses, and re-writes them into a contemporary format to make the comparison of "then" and "now" a little easier to understand. She follows each re-written story with a discourse on what the original text means, and follows up with study questions (for either the individual or group) to reflect upon. A great resource for understanding the female roles of the Bible, as well as for helping a woman' ...more
Lisa Troesser phillips
I love this topic and have done others similar to it. This particular book feels jumbled and it takes a lot of discipline to work through it. Not all the characters are "bad girls", so the title is teaching a bit. Also, the author never lists the full passage that the story comes from but instead gives it in tiny bits & pieces making it difficult to follow. Verses are scattered throughout the commentary, sometimes from unrelated Bible stories that are then taken out of context. I found it mo ...more
Jason Henry
To me, another great study of the lives of scandalous, victimized and rebellious women of the bible. The book goes into depth to explore the circumstances and trains of thought that made this women decide to do what they did. True, right is right and wrong is wrong but let's not forget all of this women lived in biblical times and ancient times and some of them before Christ walked the earth but in such a time when women were viewed as property and had no say-so when a man was involved. Did Bath ...more

* Paperback: 272 pages
* Publisher: Water Brook Press; First edition (September 19, 2000)
* ISBN-10: 1578561264
* Cover Art: This is the cover I have, but out of all of them it is my least favorite.
* Author: Liz Curtis Higgs
* Overall rating: ***** out of 5 stars
* Obtained: My personal book shelf.

Really Bad Girls of the Bible by Liz Curtis Higgs

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

A decent installment of this hit or miss series. This book at least takes the time to sit and question whether or not the 'bad girls' were really bad girls or victims of circumstance. Still a fair amount of body-shaming and very White-woman centric re-imaginings and rhetoric, but at least this one I would share with the girls of my youth group without the fear that it would give them the wrong idea about themselves.
Rachel Berry
A combination of present day stories based on biblical women, this book is more of a guide to a really interesting women's bible study than the escape from my life fiction book I was looking for. Interesting, but not thrilling or much of an escape from reality. Actually, hit too close to reality for it to be "entertaining". Too much thinking and reflecting required for me to classify it as one of my favs.
This was an excellent book - used for a weekly Bible study of "Women Journeying Through the Bible". The little novelette before each Biblical woman really brought the story to us in this century. Often we look at those in the Bible and think "well - that doesn't apply to today", but it all does. We had incredibly great discussions each week. Sometimes we agreed with the author on the placement of the person in the "Really Bad Girl" section and other times we disagreed. This study, on the heels o ...more
Rachel Nichols
This book was amazing just like the first one. Everything I said for the review of Bad Girls of The Bible will be the same as this one. Liz tells a modern story followed by the real story from the Bible. She tells about the woman's trails and how they deal with them. As you read this book you can probably relate to the Bad Girls of the Bible I know i did. I would recommend this book to any Christian woman it's encouraging and helpful. I learned a lot from it and I hope you enjoy the book.
This was the product of a church bible study. If you are of a conservative bent, then I think the author's point of view will appeal more to you. However, in the beginning when we used the workbook, I (and my study group) found myself (ourselves) irritated with her implications. Once we gave up on the workbook and just read the stories and analyzed/discussed them ourselves, we enjoyed it much more.

My friend allowed me to borrow this book, and I thank her for it. This book gives you a new way to look at the women of the bible, and causes you to rethink the actions of women in todays society as they relate to the bible. It was a great bible study and Liz Higgs has a very easy to read writting style. I would recommend this to women who want to take a closer look at their lives.
Sep 07, 2010 Elisabeth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love it, she takes a "bad" girl from scripture and turns her crime/sin into a modern tale of nefarious behavior. Then after we've all thoroughly judged and condemned the woman she reveals her Biblical character (if you hadn't already guessed!) and dissects why she did what she did. Then pronounces a final judgement: Bad girl, really bad girl, good girl doing bad for a reason...etc.
This is a wonderful book about how God is always in control. Liz Curtis Higgs recounts the stories of women in the Bible who made bad decisions, and takes us on a journey of Bible study that is uplifting and encouraging for us all. She begins each Biblical woman's story with a modern illustration and ends each one with questions and discussions. I loved this book.
Cindy Katz
Book club read, I would not have picked up on my own. Other people in my group did not care for the style of writing, the author tries to get a bit chummy with the reader. As each chapter is its own story, I found it easy to read. Some stories were thought provoking and it did provide for interesting conversation at our meeting.
I read this as part of a women's bible study and it provoked lots of good discussion. I did find modern day stories a little harder to compare to the Bible stories in some cases, generally because the rolls of women in today's society, at least in the US, are somewhat more liberal than they were in biblical society.
Liz Curtis Higgs is a wonderful writer. She writes with humor, emotion, drama and knowledge that draws you in and teaches you things about these women that you did not learn in Sunday School flannel graph lessons! I highly recommend this book for a Bible Study or just for your own devotional reading.
This book hurts to read and you notice how much alike all the "bad girls" you really are. There are sciptural refrences that I took the time to look up and study further myself. What an eye opener. Well worth my time and something that has had an impact on my life.
Charity U
Awesome book. Very similar to Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them, but different women.
Megan Wheat
Lost me by page 21 where she went on about how anyone with a 6th sense is a wicca and "a stones throw away from disaster", so if you're a Christian who happens to have some sort of God given 6th sense, don't even bother because, apparently, you're evil.
Such an awesome read. Love how the author gives the timeless bible stories modern-day interpretations. This book gave me a truly new perspective on the Bible, the various characters in it and life. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
we're going through the first version (bad girls of the bible) in my bible study so i decided to read this one, too. i like how she uses some lesser known characters (athaliah, for example) which is something that we don't think about a whole lot.
This series was my fist bible study I did independently and was a great recap of women in the bible. When we as Christian women feel less than it is good to see women in the bible who we can relate to or realize that no one is perfect.
Dietra Henschel
I really loved this book and what you can learn from these ladies. We had really great discussions about this in my Sunday School Class.
Lori Dent
The fictional stories were great cross referenced with true bible storys. I'm learning allot of bible history on these women in the bible. we are studying this as a group in my wednesday night bible study. I love this book
This sounds like fun. My neices, daughter-in-law and I are doing sort of an online Bible Study using this book. The neices are mostly in charge because they are also doing the study through their church.
I loved it cried through alot of it and God's grace was just so evidently shown in these womens lives it amazed me again and again that God would choose those women and us to be apart of His plan
Teri Ederhoff savage
Good and eye opening

I am not sure I agree all the biblical women in this book are really bad. But, was still an enjoyable book for my bible study class.
  • Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture
  • The Patriarchs - Member Book
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • Come Away My Beloved
  • Unashamed: Rahab (Lineage of Grace, #2)
  • For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband
  • Love for a Lifetime: Building a Marriage That Will Go the Distance
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts
  • Faithful Abundant True Weekend Retreat and Study Guide: Three Lives Going Deeper Still
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • 30 Days to Understanding the Bible in 15 Minutes in a Day
  • Discipleship Essentials: A Guide to Building Your Life in Christ
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?
  • Can I Have and Do it All, Please?
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...

Bad Girls of the Bible (3 books)
  • Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them