Start by marking “Machiavelli: A Man Misunderstood” as Want to Read:
Machiavelli: A Man Misunderstood

Machiavelli: A Man Misunderstood

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this biography of the Florentine political theorist and statesman, the author goes beyond our preconceptions to draw an objective picture of Machiavelli's remarkable life in the context of the Renaissance and its luminaries, such as Borgias and Leonardo da Vinci.
Paperback
Published December 1st 2005 by Abacus Software

To ask other readers questions about Machiavelli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Machiavelli

Maj
An easy enough book to read, entertaining in parts...but I was expecting something which would have delved deeper into Machiavelli's life and offer a more in depth analysis of his work. I feel like White had the title long before finishing the book and then wasn't able to properly deliver on it.

Still, I did learn some interesting facts and tid-bits from the end of 15th/first third of 16th century and because I didn't know much about Machiavelli himself most of the information presented in this b
Timothy Urban
Like another reviewer, I read this after reading a very good book about the Medici. This I didn't enjoy quite as much but neverless found it very engaging. The headline is Machiavelli was not Machiavellian. He merely observed that trait in others. I think after reading this the obvious next thing would be something about the man of pure evil, Cesare Borgia and his even more dastardly dad, Pope Alexander VI. What a crew.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘We are much beholden to Machiavel and others ..
.. that write what men do, and not what they ought to do, ‘ (Francis Bacon ‘The Advancement of Learning’ 1605)

Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527) was an extraordinary man living in tumultuous times. While he is most famous today as the author of ‘The Prince’ (not published until after his death), his other works include ‘The Art of War’, eight volumes of Florentine histories as well as poems and plays. In respect of his writing Machiavelli was better k
Azhana
For some reason, Machiavelli intrigues me. I am not a person who possesses a great mind to discuss ideas/philosophies but, I have got a feeling that he was not a bad person. I always believe that people just get too overwhelmed by his ideas.

So now it's time for me to seriously start analysing his ideas, well I hope my average brain can handle it:p.

~the understanding of Machiavelli's icy words~
Ale Hernandez
Is a good way to live something about Florence history on the begining of 16th century.
When White talk about "human" side is more about his lifestyle and personality.
I think he was a brilliant man in the way he brought to the world wise rules of goverment and even management for this time.
Not evil, not saint, not "maquiavellian", not misunderstood, only a non-perfect man with a lot of talent!!!
Sisa Petse
This book details the career of this 'infamous'character. It provides a new perspective about this man as a human being. I also found out that his most famous work 'The Prince' was actualy dedicated to his foe a meddici prince who assumed power after machiavelli lost his influence and position in Florence.
Angelmae
Enjoyed it. I think if you want your fill of Machiavelli I'd recommend The Prince. However, this one's an easy read and may change the view of most non historians, towards the man whose name has been misued for a few centuries now. It was light and entertaining.
Rishabh Sood
Rishabh Sood marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Tim Woods
Tim Woods marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Isidora
Isidora marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Edwin
Edwin added it
Aug 31, 2014
Lichen
Lichen marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jonathan Grant
Jonathan Grant marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Rob Schoenmaker
Rob Schoenmaker is currently reading it
May 31, 2014
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Zorana Wortham-white
Zorana Wortham-white marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Konrad
Konrad is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Steffanie
Steffanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Shweta Sridhar
Shweta Sridhar marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Thomas Chao
Thomas Chao marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Zakawale
Zakawale marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Alycia Hainsworth
Alycia Hainsworth marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael White is a British writer based in Sydney, Australia. He has been a science editor of British GQ, a columnist for the Sunday Express in London and, 'in a previous incarnation', he was a member of the band the Thompson Twins (1982).
More about Michael White...
Equinox Leonardo da Vinci : The First Scientist The Medici Secret Tolkien: A Biography Stephen Hawking: A Life in Science