Start by marking “Der letzte Joker” as Want to Read:
Der letzte Joker

Der letzte Joker (Superintendent Battle #2)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  11,471 Ratings  ·  614 Reviews
Wahrlich nicht die feine englische Art: einen Freund umzubringen und den Verdacht dann auf gute Freunde zu lenken. Dagegen will Eileen, Lord Caterhams Tochter, entschieden etwas tun. Auch wenn sie dabei in Situationen gerät, die ganz und gar nicht ladylike sind, bringt sie den wirklichen Täter souverän zur Strecke. So raffiniert wie hier hat die »Queen of Crime« schon lang ...more
Audio CD, Unabridged / Ungekürzt, 0 pages
Published 2008 by Verlag und Studio für Hörbuchproduktionen (first published January 24th 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Der letzte Joker, please sign up.

Noura Alnaimi I don't think so, I have started reading it 2 days ago ( and I haven't read Superintendent Battle #1) and it doesn't depend on any previous events.

Raghad
وبعدين يا أجاثا ؟؟

مرة أخرى تثبت أجاثا لي انه حتى لو قرأت لها العديد من الروايات واصبح لدي خبرة في اسلوبها فهي قادرة على مفاجئتي

كما قال فال ماكديرميد :" إن هذه الرواية ليست رواية تشويق بل هي معارضة ادبية لروايات التشويق , مصل مضاد للصبية المتحمسين الذين يضربون صدورهم بأيديهم كالغوريلات . إنها رواية ساخرة ولاذعة غيرت بشكل كبير النوع الأدبي الذي من المفترض ان تكون منه, ليس هذا فقط فإلى جانب كل ما سبق تُقدم الرواية مؤامرة وثيقة الصلة بأحداث الرواية في نهايتها قد تتنهد قائل : آه نعم , لفد خدعتنا م
Carol.
Jan 12, 2013 Carol. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie fans
Seven Dials is Christie's subversion of the 1920s style thriller, only with a plucky female heroine and a subtle commentary on English society. A manor murder, a secret society, a slummy club in the East End, and international espionage that make it seem artificially complicated, but it was enjoyable enough, with a few chuckles and a sweet little romantic angle to neatly round it out.

A group of young people gather at the English estate the Chimneys, rented out to steel magnate Sir Oswald and hi
karen
Bill
Dec 22, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this Agatha Christie mystery very much. It had quite a different feel to it from the Miss Marple and Poirot mysteries. Dare I say, it was almost an adult Nancy Drew (ish) style mystery; mainly due to the fact that the protagonists were young people, rather than the more mature sleuths that Christie peopled her stories with. You find wealthy, carefree, Lady Eileen (aka Bundle) Brent and Jimmy Thesiger and their acquaintances trying to solve the murders of two of their friends. What it t ...more
Nahed.E

هذا للأسف لم يحدث في هذه الرواية
وقد تكرر شعوري هذا في رواية أو روايتين سابقتين فقط من ضمن عشرات ا
Lily
Apr 06, 2017 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Seven Dials Mystery is a fast paced and a very enjoyable book. Some of the characters are from another Christie novel, The Secret of Chimneys. As a huge fan of the queen of crime and whodunits, I had a very nice time reading this book and I was satisfied with the ending which was surprising and full of twists. Agatha Christie always gives the best mystery and it’s never disappointing!
BrokenTune
Dec 12, 2014 BrokenTune rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"The clocks were wrapped up and paid for. Mr Murgatroyd watched the cars drive away with a puzzled air. Very spirited the young people of the upper classes nowadays, very spirited indeed, but not at all easy to understand. He turned with relief to attend to the vicar’s wife, who wanted a new kind of dripless teapot."

There is a lot to like about The Seven Dials Mystery. The spirited young people, the charming older generation, the country house setting - complete with a despotic gardener, London
Kavita
Mar 24, 2015 Kavita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, uk
A young man dies while on a visit to a country house, and very soon a secret society is suspected of murdering him. We have the dead man's sister, a young man working at the Foreign Office, our heroine, Eileen Brent aka Bundle, a Police Superintendent, and a young man working in politics, all more or less banding together to solve the mystery.

This book is written in a very light vein and there is plenty of humour in the Wodehouse style. But unlike the other Christie books, this one somehow lacks
Ivonne Rovira
Jan 10, 2015 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Dana
Expect no Hercule Poirot, no Miss Jane Marple, no Tommy nor Tuppence Beresford; however, Superintendent Battle does just fine in The Seven Dials. The mountainous but subtly clever policeman manages to solve two murders and break an international ring of crooks in a cozy that will engage you to the very last page.

The caper begins with the death of a guest at — this is Dame Agatha Christie, after all — a house party. The deceased’s half-sister, the deceased’s friend, and another young woman, Lady
Amy
Jul 21, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Tori
An absolutely wonderful gift from Tori.
I had no idea Agatha Christie was so absorbing. This book was on par with Georgette Heyer, P.G. Wodehouse, Dorothy Sayers, Robert Benchley...even Helene Hanff! I suppose it shouldn't surprise me but that ending completely blew me away!
Absolutely worth reading.
Some of the names are a little odd and dated...Socks and Codders and Bundle...but I like the characters and the writing. I like how it feels old fashion and intelligent yet entirely readable. And that
Laurel Young
Oct 12, 2010 Laurel Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Seven Dials Mystery marked a return to form for Agatha Christie. Following the remarkable achievement of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd in 1926, she hit a terrible slump following the death of her mother. With a book due every year, she cobbled together some of her short stories into the abysmal Big Four, then hurried through Mystery of the Blue Train--which I didn't think so bad, but she was not proud of it acc to her autobiography. Seven Dials takes us back to Chimneys, the country manor hous ...more
Kirsti
Jun 29, 2008 Kirsti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anglophiles
Shelves: fiction, mystery
A minor Christie work. Gets more interesting toward the end.

Life among the upper classes gets a bit tiresome. Some of the main characters are named Bundle, Pongo, and Socks. It's as if the murder has been perpetrated and is being investigated by puppies.
عبدالله
مالذي دعاني لشرائها؟

لا اعرف ولكن اعتقد بانه نوع من الحنين .. هناك العديد من الطبعات لقصص أجاثا تجعلني دائماً اتسائل عن طبيعة حقوق الملكية الفكرية هل هي مشاع وهل هي ترجمة واحدة ام تراجم مختلفة!!

تعجبني القصص الكلاسيكية هناك قاتل ويتم البحث عنه، الا ان اكثر ما يزعج هو ان لكل شخص اربع اسماء عليك حفظها جميعها فالسيدة فكتوريا بيلاشوفا على سبيل المثال هي فيكا وهي فكتوريا وهي الانسة بيلاشوفا و..و..و ما يجعل المصاب بالزهايمر القرائي يعاني

الرواية لطيفة وكلاسيكية
Ann
Oct 03, 2007 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was the first Agatha Christie book I read - and what a good choice! It's been ages since I've read it, but I'm still marveling at the plot! When trying to figure out "who-dunnit" I did consider the true culprit, but dismissed it instantly - oops!

Not as light-hearted and fun as the Tommy and Tuppence series, but a wonderful mystery and a credit to Christie's writing abilities.
Sıla
Nov 13, 2016 Sıla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Başlarda sıksada sonunda şaşırttı. Polisiye kitaplardan her zaman uzak duran biri olarak, bana birazda olsa sempati kazandırdı bu alanda. Artık benzer senaryolar kendini tekrara başladığından, ancak 4 yıldız verebiliyorum.
Michael
May 15, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I'd ever be able to say this about one of Agatha Christie's books, but I didn't really care for this one that much so I'm just going to leave it at that.
Ashley
Rating: 4.5/5
(I listened to an audio version, so please excuse any spelling errors for names)
***Minor spoilers***

First, Gerry Wade was found dead at Chimneys, believed to have overdosed on a sleeping draught. While this may have seemed suspicious because Gerry never took any sort of sleeping draught before, there was nothing really to suspect it was a murder. Not long after, though, a woman named Lady Eileen Brent, nicknamed Bundle, comes across a man in the street who appears to be dead. As she
قارِئـة
Apr 01, 2017 قارِئـة rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
حقيقة أبهرتني أجاثا مرة أخرى أبهرتني بدقة وتسلسل الأحداث..فحتى الأوراق استسلمت أمامها حيث كانت تتوارى أمامي الواحدة تلو الأخرى حتى استطعت انهاء الكتاب في يوم واحد..
فعلا كتاب رائع زادني شوقا لأقرأ بقية أعمالها..
Jocelyn
Jun 23, 2010 Jocelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another murder at Chimneys! And some of our favorite characters from The Secret of Chimneys are back to solve the mystery. But the real mystery is, why is the first book such a delight, and this book such a drag? The plots of both are equally far-fetched. Both feature young people bucketing around in roadsters and prowling the premises of large country homes in the middle of the night.

I think the answer lies partly with the characters. Practically all the characters in The Secret of Chimneys wer
Meriana
Feb 17, 2016 Meriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
"Berbahaya rupannya berpura-pura tertarik pada subjek yang sangat disukai seorang pria. Tahu enggak apa yang dikatakannya? Dia bilang akan berbahagia bila bisa membentuk pikiranku yang sedang tumbuh. Pikiranku! Kalau saja dia tahu seperempat bagian dari isi otakku, dia akan pingsan!"

Demikian sepenggal kutipan tokoh utama kita, , Nona Bundle, dalam Misteri Tujuh Lonceng. Barangkali tokoh utama seperti inilah yg membuat suatu cerita detektif menjadi tambah seru dan intriguing. Novel yg saya rekome
Satish Inamdar
Dec 21, 2016 Satish Inamdar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the finest and comparatively more livelier books of Christie.
For me, it is hard to give a straight review of Christie's books since I am intrinsically biased to her.
The favoritism creeps in and then it hinders any practical analysis.

This books is very lively because of "Bundle". Yes you will meet her and by far she is one of the memorable and intriguing characters that you will ever encounter in a Agatha Christie's book. Brilliantly crafted.
The book starts of very well, I liked th
Christie
Wodehouse meets The Man Who Was Thursday in a book that ends up not being very convincing, though it is fairly fun to read. Definitely not one of the great Christie masterpieces, but a nice way to spend a weekend or an illness. You'll probably figure out who the bad guy is pretty quickly, and the romance is the usual vague affection Christie seems to be most comfortable with, but still worth reading if you are an Agatha Christie buff. For those who have yet to read an Agatha Christie book I woul ...more
Carolina
Oct 14, 2012 Carolina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4
E mais uma vez A. C. não desilude os leitores, brindando-nos com mais uma brilhante obra, genialmente pensada.
Desta vez, não é Poirot nem Miss Marple a desvendarem o mistério, mas sim a jovem Eileen Brent, amavelmente tratada por Bundle.
Bundle é uma jovem bastante perspicaz, que procura incessantemente condimentar a sua vida de ação. E é exatamente isso que vai encontrar neste caso dos 7 relógios.

Mais um maravilhoso mistério à Agatha Christie a não perder!! ;)

Amany Ayman
Sep 06, 2015 Amany Ayman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أنت بتفكر فى الأحداث بإسلوب و هى ماشية بإسلوب تانى خالص :'D
ما علينا ،، محستهاش اوى زى مثلا مقتل روجر أكرويد لأن البطل الى كلنا بنقعد نراقبه طول الرواية ظهوره أو تخفيه أو الخطة منعه انه ينتشر فى الأحداث .. و أنا بقعد استنى أبطال أجاثا اصلا عشان كدا محصلش اندماج اوى ..
بس عامة هى تليق بمستوى أجاثا و مستواها اوى كمان و الحمد لله الترجمة طلعت مفهوومة و جيدة ..
^^
Barbara
Okay mystery, but not nearly one of Christy's better ones. One of the things I do love about Agatha Christy stories are the colorful nick names that populate her stories. A girl that is known as "Bundle" and a guy that goes by the name "Pongo!" Gotta love it.
Deepthi Terenz
May 24, 2016 Deepthi Terenz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supense-mystery
One of the pleasures of reading mystery novels is the chance to try to figure out “who done it” and there is no possibility of that happening in this novel. I never could have guessed the villain in this one. Though this is not one the great book of Agatha Christie, I enjoyed it.
Joana
Jul 23, 2016 Joana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Carmen
Nov 17, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Pretty good mystery. I like the nickname “Bundle”.
Blessing
Feb 10, 2017 Blessing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is LONG. Read at your own discretion. I have NEVER understood a mystery ending quite very well, putting the names, events, and all that together and connected. I confess. I still didn't understand this one completely, but I did guess who the killer was, and I've NEVER EVER done that! I've enjoyed Agatha's stories: Poirot, Miss Marple, Tommy and Tuppence and now I'm discovering there are even more! She wrote a treasure trove! For me, I notice social behavior and it's very very interesting to ...more
Laura Pugh
May 21, 2017 Laura Pugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to read an Agatha Christie without Miss Marple or Poirot! Same brilliant murder mystery plot, but quite different in tone. Felt a little bit like an Enid Blyton with its choice of characters - the principle amateur detective Lady Eileen, or 'Bundle', could easily be a grown up version of George from the Fun Five series.
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Gambit (Nero Wolfe, #37)
  • Eternity Ring (Miss Silver, #14)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)

More about Agatha Christie...

Superintendent Battle (5 books)
  • The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1)
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15)
  • Murder Is Easy  (Superintendent Battle, #4)
  • Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5)

“To rush into explanations is always a sign of weakness.” 84 likes
“fiction is founded on truth... unless things did happen, people couldn't think of them.” 15 likes