Start by marking “Dominion and Dynasty: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible” as Want to Read:
Dominion and Dynasty: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible

Dominion and Dynasty: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible (New Studies in Biblical Theology #15)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Christian theologians rarely study the Old Testament in its final Hebrew canonical form, even though this was very likely the Bible used by Jesus and the early church. However, once read as a whole, the larger structure of the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh) provides a "wide-angle lens" through which its contents can be viewed. In this stimulating exposition, Stephen G. Dempster arg ...more
Published November 7th 2003 by IVP Academic (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dominion and Dynasty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dominion and Dynasty

Brian Pate
I wish I could give this book 10 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed Dempster’s approach to OTT.

He explores the theological themes of the OT as presented in the Hebrew canon. The genius of his interpretation is not based on the order of the Hebrew books (though he may differ). I felt that his connections between the sections of the Tanakh were forced and not that helpful. However, the way he developed the redemptive story line of the OT was beautiful. The best parts of the book were the Torah and the F
Anna
Book fifteen in the New Studies in Biblical Theology series, Stephen Dempster’s Dominion and Dynasty: A Theology of the Hebrew Bible offers a compelling biblical theology of the Old Testament. Following the order of the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh), Dempster submits two, overarching propositions. First, he maintains that the Bible must be seen as a Book – one book made up of many books, but not without a startling unity. Second and more specifically, he argues for a dual-theme theology of “dominion” ( ...more
Brian
Dempster traces the twin themes of geneology and geography (seed and land/dynasty and dominion) throughout the Old Testament Hebrew canon (the order of the books in Hebrew is different from our English canon) and shows them to be the unifying themes of the Old Testament.

Dempster's book did something more for me than even Graeme Goldsworthy's excellent book Gospel and Kingdom (which hitherto has been my favorite book on the Old Testament). Goldsworthy's book gave me an understandable outline of r
Scott
This was a great book.

Recommended via a blog post by Jim Hamilton, I picked this book up a couple of weeks ago and really loved his treatment of the Tanakh and specifically the typological themes of "seed" (dynasty) and "rule" (dominion) throughout the OT. These books (biblical theology) are especially fruitful in their weaving together various books, passages, genealogies, etc. in the canon that can be sometimes hard to understand in an isolated reading.

I only docked a star because sometimes,
Trevor
This book will forever change the way you read and understand the Old Testament as a whole. Stephen Dempster goes book by book through the OT and shows how each book contributes to one grand story of Dominion and Dynasty which will find its greatest realization on the person of Jesus as the final chapter indicates. The first chapter can be a little challenging as lays some ground work for the rest of the book, but if you persevere through to the rest of the book you will be richly rewarded. I re ...more
Matthew Robbins
SO good. Dempster walks through the entire Hebrew Bible, developing the internal themes that Scripture itself develops and connects, emphasizing the ideas of dominion (essentially land) and dynasty (seed or descendants). He connects inter-textual themes so well and lets them happen naturally, never forced. The section on the Pentateuch is especially good. The chapter on Genesis alone is worth the price of the book. Fantastic stuff.
Micah Lugg
No book has helped me see the unfolding of progressive revelation through the Old Testament like this book. It has changed how I view the OT.
Matt Pitts
When you tell a story, the order of the events matter. If I tell you that John drove down the highway, then got pulled over by the police, and then went to the bank you will read those events very differently than if I tell you that John went to the bank, then drove down the highway, and then got pulled over by the police. The sequence of events matters. Dempster's book Dominion and Dynasty puts that idea to work in examing the Old Testament.

One of the main contributions of Dempster's book is th
Sonny
In his hermeneutics text, “Understanding and Applying the Bible,” Robertson McQuilkin offers three principles for understanding Scripture. The essence of the second of these principles is: “Since Scripture is God-breathed…, the unity of its teachings must be sought.” In his book Dominion and Dynasty, Stephen Dempster seeks to do just that. He takes a somewhat unique approach to helping the reader understand the Bible by studying the Old Testament in its Hebrew canonical form, or Tanakh. His cont ...more
J.M. Noble
Although, this is not as dense as many other Old Testament theology books out there, it is one of the best I've ever read. Informative enough to lead the reader to any areas of individual interest, yet concise enough to make it a quick and exciting read for all. The author clearly presents Scripture in its proper context and against the backdrop that its early Jewish readers would have seen it against. A great addition to any biblical theologian's library.
Dave Courtney
A great addition to any library related to theological exploration, specifically Old Testament theological discourse. Dempster outlines the two distinctives in his approach to reading the Hebrew scripture, first that the Hebrew Bible is meant to be read as a single book and is meant to be understood through the freedom of literature and composition. And secondly, that this book is unified by two central themes dominion (land) and dynasty (rule/geneology). His work on bridging the prophets with t ...more
Alyssa
This OT Theology is amazing because it is short enough to assign for a class. An OT Theology under 500 pages is rare and this one is under 250! And in those pages it still covers every OT book and draws them into unity through the themes of Dominion and Dynasty. I would have added a third theme: Blessing. Sometimes missing that theme makes his readings of texts feel forced. But that is a small critique.
Mark
This is a phenominal book for understanding the Old Testament in the school of Biblical Theology. Not only does Demptster have profound insights into the biblical text, but his whole approach to understanding the Bible is something any biblical interpreter needs to grasp. For example, not only does he explain the theological meaning and significance of the specific details of a biblical book such as the book of Ruth, but also what the whole book means in the context of the Old Testament Canon. ...more
Corey Hampton
This was a fantastic book! It's filled to the brim with helpfulness. It's so full that I plan to go back to it several times as I read the 'Bible in a Year' each year and as I preach through Old Testament books. I definitely recommend it! Five stars!
Alex
It was a very good book! I am writing a paper on it for my Old Testament class at the SBTS. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a better literary understanding of the Tanakh.
Heath Waldeier
This book was really good. It helped put the old testament together in a way that makes good sense. The idea of Dominion and Dynasty run thru the old testamanet and culminate in the new testament. I highly recommend this book, especially to Christians who are intimidated by reading the old testament and making sense of it.
Jacob
Let's face it, for many Christians the Old Testament is the part of Scripture which we have a hard time understanding. God seems mean. There are strange rituals. There are lots of geneologies and listing of kings and stuff. However, Dempster makes a great case for the unity, imporantance, and readablity of the Old Testament, especially when it comes to the themes of Dominion and Dynasty. Now it should be mentioned that this is an academic book, but give it shot and I suspect that it will expand ...more
Josue Manriquez
This is a most excellent book, which summarizes the books of the Hebrew Bible (the Old Testament), showing how it coheres as one united Book. If you'd like to have a big picture understanding of what the Old Testament is about without getting lost in all the tiny details, then I highly recommend reading this book!

(Keep a dictionary handy, as there are a handful of "big" words)
Chris Armer
The author does a good job pointing out the overarching themes of seed and land (David and Zion) found in the Old Testament. The book is a worthy read for providing one of the many probable perspectives of a biblical theology of the Old Testament.
Ryan Linkous
This book does a wonderful job showing the literary structure of the OT around the twin themes of dominion (land) and dynasty (descendants). Especially helpful is Dempster's use of the original structure of the Hebrew Bible (particularly the placement of Chronicles). Brilliantly written.

The one area this book is week is in it's presentation of the 12 minor prophets and some of the wisdom literature.
Trevor Bryant
Dempster does a good job at showing the unity of the Tanakh, but he has such a strong view of the "forest" that he misses some of the "trees." Great job explaining the historical books, little justice done to the Writings or the Prophets. Definitely worth a read though as long you recognize that he has an idea and reads that into the Writing and Prophets to a greater degree than is really there
Thomas Foster Foster
A book about the story of God's purpose and promises worked out through the lineage and inherited of land. More academic than my other recent reading, and a stutter half way through meant it took a LOT longer to finish than should have done. But enjoyed seeing key themes worked out across the whole canvass of the Old Testament. A book which built me up.
JR Snow
I nor my professor agreed with Demster's main thesis in the book, but it was a useful read for looking at the Old Testament from afar instead of up close like we are wont to do mosttimes. I read this for my Biblical Theology I (Old Testament) class at Reformation Bible College.
Lucas Bradburn
This is an outstanding overview of the Old Testament. Packed full with insights, Dempster does a remarkable job connecting the dots between each OT book showing that there is a supernatural symmetry and cohesiveness to the message of the OT. This is biblical theology at its best!
Matt Moran
Strong, helpful OT Theology - definitely a book that I will be happy to refer back to.

Emphasizes a literary reading of the OT and the unity of the Hebrew Bible. This book will alert even an experienced reader of the OT to recurring redemptive themes.
Daniel Alvers
Anybody who plans on ever teaching the Bible or wanting to learn about the depth of the Old Testament must read this book. If you are a pastor and have not read this book you must read this book. This is absolutely amazing! Crush the SNAKE!
Brandon
This short (but technical) book will change the way you read and understand the Old Testament. Considering its accessible length, this book is indispensable for serious Bible students.
David Martin
This book fundamentally changed the way I view, read, and understand the old testament. So very grateful for Dempster's work here!
Melissa Deming
One of my favorite books - I go back to this book all the time to figure out how the OT fits together
Joel Dougherty
A compelling, well-reasoned, and well-written biblical theology of the Old Testament. Highly recommended.
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • The King in His Beauty: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments
  • What Is Biblical Theology?: A Guide to the Bible's Story, Symbolism, and Patterns
  • Gospel And Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation Of The Old Testament
  • The Temple and the Church's Mission: A Biblical Theology of the Dwelling Place of God
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach
  • Salvation to the Ends of the Earth: A Biblical Theology of Mission (New Studies in Biblical Theology (InterVarsity Press), #11)
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • The Presence of the Future: The Eschatology of Biblical Realism
  • Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments

New Studies in Biblical Theology (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Possessed by God: A New Testament Theology of Sanctification and Holiness
  • God's Unfaithful Wife: A Biblical Theology of Spiritual Adultery
  • Jesus and the Logic of History
  • Hear, My Son: Teaching & Learning in Proverbs 1--9
  • Original Sin: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • Now Choose Life: Theology and Ethics in Deuteronomy
  • Neither Poverty Nor Riches: Illuminating the Riddle
  • Slave of Christ: A New Testament Metaphor for Total Devotion to Christ (New Studies in Biblical Theology)
  • Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul's Theology of Justification
  • Five Festal Garments: Christian Reflections on the Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes and Esther