Start by marking “You're Grounded Forever...But First, Let's Go Shopping: The Challenges Mothers Face with Their Daughters and Ten Timely Solutions” as Want to Read:

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Susan Shapiro Barash's provocative new book examines the most difficult challenges any woman faces when raising daughters: Are we spoiling them or being too rigid? Are we trying to be their friend or are we setting ourselves up as adversaries? Are we setting a good example, or are we a cautionary tale? In short, are we creating our own monsters? This book explores:

* "What
Published September 27th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 28th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about You're Grounded Forever...But First, Let's Go Shopping

Mar 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a daughter
Great book, but not many models for women who are ok with being SAHMs. Almost all of the sketches were of women who were single, divorced and remarried, older mothers or unhappily married moms-both working and SAHs. It was hard to relate to some of them, and I think part of the reason is that the youngest moms were still about 4-5 years older than myself and all the daughters were closer to my age than to my daughter's age. Still it was very thought provoking. The topics covered are ones which e ...more
Stephanie
A nice collection of scenarios and guidance. Having a pre-teen daughter and knowing all too well what the hardships of teen life/drama can bring, I'm glad I read this book. Although most mothers feel like they know how to handle every situation, we find that there are times when our methods just don't work. This book was a nice eye opener as to what can happen and how to overcome difficult situations. This book also gave great guidance of how to keep an open line of communication with our daught ...more
Amanda

I grabbed this book bc I related to the dichotomy in the title. I could relate to a few sections of this book but all in all I was disappointed to hear so many superficial stereotypes of women and that there may be enough mothers who can relate to entire chapters focused on wearing makeup, weight management and over mothering to constitute a book. I stopped after reading the chapter called 'let me help, you can't handle it all'
Carolynn
This book is in progress. I am reading an advanced copy from my editor, for the purposes of a formal review. It is a very fast-paced, engaging book thus far, with only very few complaints. The format moves it along, rather than allowing the reader to get stuck and bored in dry facts. However, the blanket statements here and there are either pompous or misguided, and I have not determined which yet.
~~~~~

Update to come...
Krys
This was an interesting book, but I felt like it could have been a pamphlet. It spent too much time describing the problem and not enough time solving the problem, if you know what I mean. I would read other stuff by the author, to see if she does the same thing. she does have good things to say, and her approach is very practical.
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Susan Williams
Susan Williams is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Stacy Mansoor
Stacy Mansoor marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Addie
Addie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2013
Jean Racicot
Jean Racicot marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Tracy
Tracy added it
Aug 03, 2013
Erica Nur
Erica Nur marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Marianne Weatherup
Marianne Weatherup marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Harmony Harkema
Harmony Harkema marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
Alissa
Alissa marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Jillian Loera
Jillian Loera marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2012
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2012
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 13, 2012
Susan Shapiro Barash is an established writer of twelve nonfiction women’s issue books. She teaches gender studies Marymount Manhattan College and is a well recognized gender expert. Barash is frequently sought out by newspapers, television shows and radio programs to comment on women’s issues and blogs for the Huffington Post and Psychology Today.

Susan's next book, The Nine Phases of Marriage: H
More about Susan Shapiro Barash...
Tripping the Prom Queen: The Truth About Women and Rivalry Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships The Nine Phases of Marriage: How to Make It, Break It, Keep It Little White Lies, Deep Dark Secrets: The Truth About Why Women Lie The New Wife: The Evolving Role of the American Wife