Start by marking “Reversible Skirt” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When the mother of three little girls commits suicide, their father wants more than anything to keep his family together. He remarries in haste and tells his daughters his new wife is their mother. The youngest, Laura, believes her mother must have gone through a kind of magical transformation. Reversible Skirt is written from Laura's perspective as a child sifting through ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Wordforest

To ask other readers questions about Reversible Skirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reversible Skirt

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Memoirs by Women
104th out of 1,445 books — 1,897 voters

More lists with this book...

David Richardson
I received this book for free from the Goodreads first-read giveaway. I thought this book was really depressing. I appreciate that the author had a bad childhood but I like books that make me feel happy. I have enough depression of my own.
Arlene Miller
Beautiful story, very touching. Beautifully written. I would definitely recommend this one!
Eva
by Laura McHale Holland

Laura McHale Holland broaches the subject, suicide, which has long been a taboo subject in western society. The author tells the story of three little girls, herself one of them, coping with the big secret, their mother's suicide. Children back then were not supposed to remember, have feelings or understand. Armed with these presumptions and an iron will, Laura's stepmother runs her charges with cruel rules and chore
Ann Philipp
Expertly written, a poignant and honest story of Laura, a young girl who manages to keep afloat in a world flooded with loss and abuse. Surrounded by lies and deceit, Laura's underlying strength acts like a lighthouse guiding her through a tumultuous childhood. Interspersed with sweet events that captivate and give us hope. A reminder of the resiliency of the human spirit.
Janette Fuller
Laura McHale Holland has written a poignant memoir about her childhood. "Reversible Skirt" tells the story of how Laura and her two sisters survived years of emotional and physical abuse after their mother committed suicide. This book is a heart-wrenching account of a family gone terribly wrong. The author is sharing her story with the hope that readers will be reminded of the depth and complexity of children. No matter how things appear to an outside observer, one never knows what the child is ...more
Krystal
How do you cope with your mother's suicide? The author attempts to answer that question-or at least show how she dealt with the issue. When her mother commits suicide, Laura is left behind with her two sisters. When her father dies, Laura and her siblings are left with an abusive stepmother. The situation really couldn't get too much worse. The one redeeming quality of the whole situation is the way Laura and her sisters come together to form a cohesive unit.

The author's feelings in the book ar
Sue Owen
For me, at the very bottom of my reading lists are autobiographies. I like to preface any autobio that I review with that sentence because very few of them actually catch my attention and are able to hold my interests. I’m sorry to say, this was one of them. Although I was unable to finish it, this certainly was not without good points and, if you like this type of writing, it is a great representation.

The author did a great job of representing the child-like references for the early years. I di
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
This was a touching story, that tore at my heart. First having to deal with her mother's suicide which this young girl tries to answer Why? Then her father remarries and tells his daughters that this woman is there mother. They know that she is not because she is distant and abusive, something their mother wasn't.
This is not a feel good, fuzzy, warm book. It is an honest look at abused children and what they endure. You will gain insight and compassion for those that have gone through it.
Elaine Webster
Women's Memoir speaks to the heart and Reversible Skirt is no exception. Laura McHale Holland describes childhood experiences, that unfortunately too many share. However, there is hope in the pages of this book--good times as well as bad. And the sisters' bond is one to be envied. A beautiful read by a wonderful author. I highly recommend it.
Shannon Baas
I found this to be an interesting book, although rather sad. It involves Laura and her sisters. There mom committed suicide and their dad remarries. It then takes them through what they go through. I would definitley recommend it.
Jan
A story from a child's view of emotional abuse and the suicide of her mother. I think the author did a very good job of putting us in her shoes of a confused child trying to please the adults in her life.
Anthony
enjoyed the read
Sandra Rahimi
Sandra Rahimi marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Tiago Defendi
Tiago Defendi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Marian
Marian marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Karyn
Karyn marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Batsheva Goldstein
Batsheva Goldstein marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Sketchgl
Sketchgl marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Nancy Sher malone
Nancy Sher malone marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Jackie Thalman
Jackie Thalman marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Susan Bazzett-griffith marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
kerry leigh
kerry leigh marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Meera
Meera marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
  • Barefoot in November
  • I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home: How One Woman Dared to Say No to Motherhood
  • Color Blind: A Memoir
  • Baby Not on Board: A Celebration of Life without Kids
  • The Single Girl's Guide to Marrying a Man, His Kids, and His Ex-Wife: Becoming A Stepmother With Humor And Grace
  • Island Girl
  • Castles: A Fictional Memoir of a Girl with Scissors
  • Stepmonster: A New Look at Why Real Stepmothers Think, Feel, and Act the Way We Do
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • This Life Is in Your Hands: One Dream, Sixty Acres, and a Family Undone
  • The Long Journey Home: A Memoir
  • Cakewalk: A Memoir
  • I Gave My Heart to Know This
The Ice Cream Vendor's Song Sisters Born, Sisters Found: A Diversity of Voices on Sisterhood Sisters Born, Sisters Found: A Diversity of Voices on Sisterhood