Start by marking “Nightsiders (Twelve Planets book 1)” as Want to Read:
Nightsiders (Twelve Planets book 1)

Nightsiders (Twelve Planets #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In a future world of extreme climate change, Perth, Western Australia’s capital city, has been abandoned. Most people were evacuated to the East by the late ’30s and organised infrastructure and services have gone.

A few thousand obstinate and independent souls cling to the city and to the southern towns. Living mostly by night to endure the fierce temperatures, they are cr
Published March 28th 2011 by Twelfth Planet Press (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Nightsiders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightsiders

Stephanie
Jan 25, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Nightsiders collects four interwoven short stories, all set in a future Perth (the capital city of Western Australia). The city has been devastated by war and extreme climate change, most of its population left in the Evacuation. Those who remain survive by sleeping during the day and being active during the relatively cooler night. As a result, Perth is now known as the Nightside.

The stories in this collection are The Painted Girl, Nation of the Night, Paper Dragons and The Schoolteacher’s Tale
Alexandra
May 13, 2011 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, lss
Nightsiders is the first anthology of the Twelve Planets series, a set of twelve collections being put out by Alisa Krasnostein at Twelfth Planet Press. Each of the collections will consist of four short stories. This one, by Sue Isle, features stories that all deal with the same place and similar issues: a near-future Perth, a city ruined by an almost complete lack of water, infrastructure damaged by bombs some time ago, and largely deserted in the Evacuation.

It should be said up front that I a
Sean the Bookonaut
Jan 15, 2012 Sean the Bookonaut rated it really liked it

Nightsiders was the first release in Twelfth Planet Press’ Twelve Planets Series. A series that showcases 12 of Australia's top female speculative fiction writers.*

I think the concept is a brilliant one. I have had the chance to sample authors I’d heard mentioned, but never read, discovered some authors I didn’t
Narrelle
Aug 15, 2011 Narrelle rated it it was amazing
As a former resident of Perth and current resident of Melbourne it was a double pleasure to read Nightsiders, a collection of post-apocalyptic stories set after the environmental, military and social consequences of severe climate change. The connected stories examine the new, marginal society and carefully weave their way to a new, potentially more hopeful future. The characters are wonderfully drawn and the parched environment in which they live made me thirsty to read it. another gem from the ...more
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
This is written for Journey Through Twelve Planets reading challenge.

Nightsiders is the first book in the Twelve Planets series, released by Twelfth Planet Press, which showcase the talent of female Australian authors. There is now to be a thirteenth in the series, but that's a review for another time. The brief given to authors was to write 4 short stories of up to 40,000 words in total. The stories could be separate, discrete narratives or linked through character, setting or theme.

This colle
Ju Transcendancing
Read as part of the reading challenge I'm helping to coordinate: A Journey Through the Twelve Planets. This is the first novel to be reviewed, my full review can be found on my blog The Conversationalist, but here is an excerpt:

There was so much to enjoy about these stories, diverse characters and situations, points of view, parallels to the present day that were nicely pointed. I loved that both Melbourne and Perth were so recognisable to me! I love that the apocalypse has already prompted adap
Sally906
Apr 23, 2012 Sally906 rated it liked it
This book is the first volume in the Twelfth Planet Press’s series of short collections by Australian female authors. The instructions given to each of the authors was to write 4 short stories of up to 40,000 words in total. This collection is set in the near future in Perth. Because of global warming the west coast of Australia has been evacuated to the east coast and all the infrastructure and services have long gone. Still, a few thousand people remain, trying to stay alive anyway they can.

Th
Ann Schwader
Sep 11, 2012 Ann Schwader rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Disclaimer: I've known Sue Isle for a couple of decades now. At least. However, I've never read much of her post-apocalypse Perth (Perthapocalypse?) fiction before -- and I certainly didn't expect it to be as lovely and haunting as this slender collection is.

Set in a climate-changed future where the western coast of Australia has become a disaster area, these stories offer four different glimpses of those who remain: a child being sold as a trade item, a boy whose body doesn't match his mind, a
Tsana Dolichva
Jan 23, 2012 Tsana Dolichva rated it really liked it
Nightsiders by Sue Isles is a collection of four short stories set in the same world. It is part of Twelfth Planet Press's Twelve Planets series, twelve collections which are showcasing the work of twelve Australian female authors. I believe it's the only one so far to be entirely science fictional (that said, the only other I've read is Love and Romanpunk by Tansy Rayner Roberts -- an excellent blend of Roman mythology, the past and the future -- and I'm not sure what's planned for the rest of ...more
Marg
Jun 20, 2011 Marg rated it really liked it
I hadn't read anything by Sue Isle before but knew as soon as I heard what the setting was that I wanted to read this collection of four short stories, one of which (Paper Dragons) had previously been published. The collection is predominantly set in the city where I was born, the city where most of my relatives still live, the city I visit quite regularly - Perth in Western Australia. This Perth however is only barely recognisable as the city I love to visit.

The book is set in the near future i
Mark Webb
Dec 03, 2011 Mark Webb rated it really liked it
Nightsidersby Sue Isleis one of theTwelve Planets seriespublished byTwelfth Planet Press(made up of 12 boutique collections of stories by Australian writers). It is made up of four shorter stories, including:

The Painted Girl
Nation of the Night
Paper Dragons
The Schoolteacher's Tale

I've not read any of Ms Isle's work before and quite enjoyed this short volume (138 pages in total). All four stories are related and set in a future where the western seaboard of Australia has been abandoned including t
Omega Howell
Jan 20, 2016 Omega Howell rated it it was amazing
I loved this post apocalyptic setting with a distinctly Australian feel.. So often we are used to America or Ye olde England being the background to our stories - even the fantasy ones.. This was refreshing. The characters were fantastic and the stories were compelling, even though they were more "everyday" than you might expect from this genre. A quick, easy read and well worn the time.
Christie
Mar 14, 2016 Christie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Really wanted to know what happened to a few of the people from story one and story 2. Other than that OMG so amazing.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)

Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

I wish there was more! The writing quality was astounding and I could easily visulise the scenes, especially occurring near where my mum's side of the family live rurally.

I would love to re
Rivqa
Oct 02, 2012 Rivqa rated it liked it
This was a lovely little YA short story collection - well written and interesting, but I felt she could have taken it so much further. Perhaps she will?
Anna Hepworth
Mar 30, 2015 Anna Hepworth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, rated-five
Brilliant, tightly-written short gems. All set in a 'post-apocalyptic' post-climate change wars city on the edge of survival.
Tamara
Jul 28, 2012 Tamara added it
Shelves: tpp-people
Imagined future of a burning Perth. Scariest time to read it? During a freaking drought eeeeeeepppp.
Lynne
Postapocalyptic, set in Australia. Set of four linked short stories.
David
David added it
May 27, 2016
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Heather Zipser
Heather Zipser marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Anita Fajita Pita
Anita Fajita Pita marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Seth
Seth marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Dylan Perry Malbrough
Dylan Perry Malbrough marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Ali Howard
Ali Howard marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Pluto Ida
Pluto Ida marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
EloquentMyDear
EloquentMyDear marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Nicole Key
Nicole Key marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
  • Love and Romanpunk (Twelve Planets book 2)
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • Asymmetry (Twelve Planets book 8)
  • Secret Lives of Books (Twelve Planets book 10)
  • The Female Factory (Twelve Planets book 11)
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • Caution: contains small parts (Twelve Planets book 9)
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • Eclipse 4: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Cherry Crow Children (Twelve Planets, #12)
  • Black Glass
  • Year's Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2013
  • Ghosts Can Bleed
  • More Scary Kisses
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • A Trifle Dead (Cafe La Femme, #1)
  • Becoming Kirrali Lewis
Sue Isle (born in 1963 in Fremantle, Western Australia) is the author of the Young Adult Fantasy novel Scale Of Dragon, Tooth Of Wolf, the dystopian short story collection Nightsiders (a Twelve Planets Collection, Twelfth Planet Press) and nonfiction children's book Wolf Children.

Sue lives in Perth, Western Australia and has been writing as long as she knew that real people wrote books. She has s
More about Sue Isle...

Twelve Planets (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Love and Romanpunk (Twelve Planets book 2)
  • Thief of Lives (Twelve Planets book 3)
  • Bad Power (Twelve Planets, #4)
  • Showtime (Twelve Planets book 5)
  • Through Splintered Walls (Twelve Planets book 6)
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • Asymmetry (Twelve Planets book 8)
  • Caution: contains small parts (Twelve Planets book 9)
  • Secret Lives of Books (Twelve Planets book 10)
  • The Female Factory (Twelve Planets book 11)