Start by marking “Ungodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair (Berkley True Crime)” as Want to Read:

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Madalyn Murray O' Hair was a woman so despised that when she went missing, it took almost a year before authorities agreed to investigate her disappearance.

Now, through interviews and never-before-released documents, Ungodly tells in vivid detail the true story of her life, kidnapping, and horrific murder.
Published October 5th 2004 by Berkley (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ungodly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ungodly

Chad
Oct 28, 2015 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until I saw this book sitting serenely on a shelf in my library, I had no idea of the full story of Madalyn Murray O'Hair. I was familiar with her name, but knew virtually nothing about her.

This book contained fascinating information about her life and accomplishments and, yes, her grisly fate. Unfortunately, the book is written by a man who couldn't get over his disdain for her and so may not have ever understood her and thus may not have accurately portrayed her to the reader. Every chance Mr.
Ed
Jun 22, 2008 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: theists, deists, atheists, patriots, openminded thinkers
Well-structured and well-told tale of the woman who (gasp!) ended school prayer in America! Imagine the nerve of her! Although parents can pray with their children as a family unit during any or all of the non-school hours of the day and engage in wholesome family activities and attend church together any day of the week...it seems that a few moments of communal prayer in public schools is the dealbreaker. And the person who challenged the practice (and prevailed) was demonized...and proudly wor ...more
Tom
Dec 16, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
UNGODLY is a superb account of the events in the O'Hair's lives. The book shows an UNBIASED look at these individuals despite what other reviewers have said. Most atheist reviewers will not like this book because it shows the true nasty nature of Ms. O'Hair. She was close to a criminal herself with all her tax problems. She was a hard person to like and was obnoxious beyond normal considerations. She had utter contempt for Christians and most people in general. Of course, this in no way excuses ...more
Steve Dustcircle
Feb 03, 2014 Steve Dustcircle rated it liked it
Biography of the rise and fall of Mrs. Madalyn Murray O'Hair, focusing on the events leading up to, briefly through, and following her kidnapping, torture and murder.

Brutally funny lady, but known also for her sharp tongue. She was smart, sweet, conniving and scandalous. One cannot fully love her, nor can they fully hate her. Though she's adored by many and despised by many, she had a way of winning some over and repulsing others.

The book tried to be honest without being too sympathetic, but I f
TB
Jun 29, 2008 TB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! No wonder she was hated! Reguardless of my religious views, she was a self serving person that thrived on confrontation.
Lily S
Jun 03, 2012 Lily S rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-06
The writing was terrible but the story fascinating.
Don Incognito
Mar 06, 2010 Don Incognito rated it liked it
What the author set out to prove in this book proved difficult to identify, for reasons that may become clear. But the identifiable thesis seems to be that O'Hair—the plaintiff in the lawsuit that ultimately led to the U.S. Supreme Court striking down school prayer in 1963--was a certifiable sociopath who, while possessing genuine convictions against religion, pursued her lawsuit (and many subsequent commitments) based on personal spite. The beginning of this lifetime of spiteful attitudes and b ...more
Beverly
Sep 24, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-biography
Fast-paced read, reads like a novel. Back when all of this was going on, I didn't really keep up with the news about it, so this book filled in a lot of details of which I was unaware. This author was informed, did his research, and wrote a very readable book.
From Bill Murray's book, "My Life Without God" (which is quoted several times in Draco's book), I knew that Madalyn was a difficult person to live with; and Dracos reinforced that with his descriptions of her antics.
Jenettha Baines
Apr 07, 2013 Jenettha Baines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I choose to read will most likely get 4 or 5 stars. If it's not interesting and doesn't catch my attention by Chapter 5, I won't continue reading it. I bought this book for $2 and passed it around several times (four) before getting it back. Each person loved it! This was a great story of Madalyn Murray O'Hair and brought a clearer insight to a woman I had only heard of and remember seeing on the Phil Donahue show. A MUST READ!
Paige
Aug 29, 2011 Paige rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-crime
(hurricane read #3)

Too much of a biography for my taste and not enough about the actual case (to the point where I would have difficulty even calling this 'true crime.') Honestly, I was more interested in Murray's murder than Murray herself.
Shannon Burton
Jan 07, 2013 Shannon Burton rated it liked it
HOLY COW. Why had I never heard of this better-than-fiction story? The writing was a bit cliche, but the amount of information is worth putting up with it.
Karen Benedetto
Karen Benedetto rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2016
Reader
Reader added it
Jan 17, 2016
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jan 06, 2016
Axel Blaster
Axel Blaster marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Amy Schwartz
Amy Schwartz marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
NormaCenva
NormaCenva marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Aug 18, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Theo
Theo rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Heidihark
Heidihark rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2015
Benee
Benee marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Alexandria Bolden
Alexandria Bolden marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014