Start by marking “Detour” as Want to Read:
Detour

Detour

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  573 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
When Paul and Joanna, who are desperate to have children, fail to conceive, they decide to adopt and arrange a trip to Colombia to bring back home a baby girl, Joelle. To help them into parenthood, a nanny has been sent. Yet, returning home one night, they discover that the baby waiting for them isn't Joelle. Suddenly, they are taken prisoner, and Paul is given an ultimatu ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 4th 2006 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Detour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detour

Courtney McGowan
May 10, 2011 Courtney McGowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully paced thriller! The action starts early and the plot gets twisted and tangled very soon thereafter. I wouldn't call this book "cheap thrills" per se, but it isn't the densest book you'll ever read. However, if you go into this novel knowing what you're getting into, you'll love it. The story has just enough plausibility to keep you interested, just enough emotion to keep you invested, and to reiterate, a good helping of pace. I read "Detour" in several short periods over two days, bu ...more
Karen
Dec 29, 2013 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't as big of a fan of this story as I was with "Derailed". I was hooked when we realized the babies were swapped but after the smuggling of narcotics and drug war unfolded, it threw me on a limb. I'm not sure if I was really disappointed at this because, after all, it does takes place in Columbia and aside from the revolution, its other biggest problem is the illegal export of cocaine. I get that but I found the story to be boring. It could also be the fact that I found Joanna to be so ann ...more
Stéphanie
Jun 30, 2015 Stéphanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juin-2015
Beaucoup aimé. L'action démarre rapidement, plein de rebondissements, j'ai aimé qu'on ait les cheminements des 2 conjoints en parallèle. Le livre aborde en quelque sorte le fait de tout donner, tout risquer pour être parent. Fin quelque peu prévisible par contre.
Dezirea
Aug 15, 2014 Dezirea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is not a boring page in this book. There is constant action throughout the book so much that its a bit unbelievable and unrealistic but hey, its a fiction novel. About halfway through the book, I was a little disappointed at how predictable things were but I was totally caught off guard with the final plot twist, I didn't see it coming! Even though most of the first oh, three quaters of the book is pretty predictable, the non-stop action and suspense will make you want to keep reading just ...more
Jeff
Mar 29, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish goodreads had half stars. This is a solid three and a half. The writing was plain but the story was interesting enough. It kept me interested but not enthralled. I would recommend this for someone who is looking for an easy interesting read. The main thing I got from this book was to never visit Colombia. Not bad, not amazing.
Felicia
Jan 05, 2015 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing although at 1st I didn't want to read it, but you can't judge a book by its cover, Right? I LOVED this book every time I thought I knew what would happen it completely flipped on me the book wasn't confusing at all.Every time I was doing something all I could think about was the book.It was suspenseful, brave, mysterious, and kept you on your feet so you will never get bored.This author has an amazing talent and after reading this I would read any of his other books, he doe ...more
Bob
Jul 31, 2009 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insurance Actuary Paul Breidbart and his wife Joanna want a child, but after years of trying with no success, they turn to a lawyer who specializes in adoptions from Columbia. Traveling to Bogota they are met by an older man sent from the orphanage and driven to a hotel. The driver, Pablo, tells them that he will be at their service while they are in the city. Paul and Joanna go to the orphanage and meet their soon to be daughter whom they name Joelle. Back at the hotel with Joelle, Johanna disc ...more
Sammy
Jun 12, 2007 Sammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-the-best
Any sort of summary you can give of this book gives you the wrong idea about how good it actually is. The premise makes it sound like the book is cheesey and overblown, but it's the complete opposite. I mean it sounded interesting, but not in the sense I was going to be so addicted to it.

From the first word your drawn in, finding yourself really liking Paul and Joanna, feeling their pain and joy, bonding to them like their real people. Everyone in this story comes off as a real person, even the
Rebekkila
They want what every young couple wants: a child of their own. But Paul and Joanna Breidbart have been trying to conceive for five long-years a torturous process of failed medical procedures that nearly tore their marriage apart. When they finally decide to adopt, American agencies tell them they will have to wait years for their dream to come true. The couple agrees to fly to war-torn Columbia to adopt a baby girl.Paul knows all about risks. As an insurance executive, he routinely calculates th ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"From the author of "Derailed" comes the adrenaline-charged story of one man who is forced to transport cocaine from Colombia to a location within the U.S. within 18 hours, or his wife and newly adopted daughter will be killed. The decision seems obvious--yet the outcome will be anything but." (From Amazon)

A fair suspense novel.
Jérôme
Aug 19, 2011 Jérôme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Breidbart est analyste de risques pour une compagnie d'assurances new-yorkaise. Il forme avec sa femme Joanna un couple uni et heureux. Seuls ombre à leur bonheur : ils ne peuvent pas avoir d'enfants. Aussi décident-ils d'en adopter un dans un orphelinat colombien. Joelle, adorable petite fille d'un mois, est tout ce dont ils pouvaient rêver.
Quelques jours plus tard, toujours à Bogota, Paul et Joanna sont pris d'un doute terrible. De retour à leur hôtel, après l'avoir confié quelques heure
Finnternational
I grabbed this book as I had a long wait in an airport and I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked how the main character was into statistics and how the book was sort of written around that, I thought it was very creative of the author. I read it many years ago and that's what stayed with me.
Jon
Dec 18, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Derailed, but I didn't expect it to be. It was still exciting and their were moments I felt like I couldn't put it down, but some portions of it also kind of bored me and I found myself waiting for them to get back to the more exciting scenes. I really liked the ending! I would recommend this book
Rosie Crawford
Jan 17, 2014 Rosie Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very scary look into the helplessness of outsiders no matter their nationality in a war torn country like Columbia. When Paul and Joanna decide to adopt a child they find an organization to help them and after five years go to Columbia to pick up their new daughter at an orphanage there. They find themselves caught up in the drug war, the unstable factions that war for dominance and power, and even the authorities in the U.S. Definitely a riveting read!
Dinah
Jun 22, 2014 Dinah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I decide to read a novel written by James Siegel, I know that every page, from beginning to end, will be captivating and impossible to put down. The only reason this particular novel took a little while longer for me is because I tried my best to keep it from coming to an end. I usually finish a Siegel novel in two sitting. There were some very gruesome moments in Detour and some lighthearted moments involving Joanna and Jollele. I also admire the lengths this father would go to protect ...more
Lily
Sep 05, 2012 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: library, going, reviewed
I generally like a good mystery/action book but find they are so often predicable and cookie-cuttion. Detour was nothing like that! I found my self impressed more than once by interesting plot turns and well developed, believable characters. It is the story of Paul and Joanna, a low-key couple who travel to Columbia to adopt a baby only to find themselves derailed and endangered. (Another rarity for me - by the conclusion I was actually routing for a happy ending.)

My sole complaint is that I lik
Pam Rugg
Jan 02, 2015 Pam Rugg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it in a day and I half while I was sick. A really good read.
Kik
6 hrs and 20 mins
Liz
Feb 22, 2013 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, fiction
A fast read. Though thrillers involving drug running, guns, kidnapping, torture and desperation (or some such stuff), are too realistic and uncomfortable for me to read in general. I did know who the bad guy would be which caused me some anxiety, a feeling which I try to avoid in my life. (As opposed to say excitement or suspense) I like that there was a lot of "grey" areas in the book. Some things are not as they seem (like life) which gives the book 3 stars.
Jamie
Feb 28, 2015 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A thriller with lots of twists and turns. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone - tough subject matter.
Bandit
Aug 28, 2013 Bandit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a very average thriller. Writing or pacing or plotting or characters or reading (listened to it on audio) never got above the average point. Which was perfectly fine for what it was and it served to pass the time nicely during walks and a long bus ride. One plot twist that was good. The reader did very entertaining accents. If anyone didn't already know Colombia is dangerous, this tale of an adoption gone array serves as a solid reminder.
Jerl Louk
Oct 25, 2007 Jerl Louk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
One of the best books I've ever read. I've already bought it for a handful of people as gifts, and everyone has really liked it too. I read it because I enjoyed Derailed by Siegel, even though I was pretty skeptical from the synopsis on the inside jacket. Not my typical storyline, so I was surprised by how much I loved it, a testament to a really, really good thriller.

I am a Siegel fan and can't wait to read his new book, Deceit.
Jul 20, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of deceit and adventure, this is the first novel I've read of Siegel's. He's a great storyteller and the blurb really caught my attention. An American family travels to Latin America to adopt a long-awaited-for child only to have that dream shattered.

The ending came out of nowhere and was a little rushed in my opinion, but overall I thought this was a good read.
Mich
Sep 22, 2008 Mich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
WOW what a ride! would definatly recommend this book to someone who wants to read multiple twists and turns.
this couple wants to adopt a baby from columbia and gets caught up in the warring factions there.
i really didnt know what it was going to be about and i chose it based on his first book DERAILED which was equally as good.
Craig Leimkuehler
I liked this book, even if the plot was a little far fetched, but then again all thrillers tend to be far fetched, A couple, unable to concieve, try to adopt end up in Columbia battling drug dealers and the Russian mafia. But the action is swift and the danger constant. Read it.
Grahame Keast
Jul 05, 2013 Grahame Keast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the theme and also the way there was always some unexpected drama happening. Quite scarey! I was a little disappointed at the ending though. It happened a bit too quickly. The fact that I have been to Bogota, Colombia, made the story even more relevant.
Bree
Nov 28, 2007 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000-2005, thriller
Turned out to be a pretty good book - not entirely what I was expecting, probably better. I liked the main characters of the book (Paul and Joanne) and made me wonder how much of this sort of thing actually happens that we just don't know about...good read, anyway!
Barbara
Feb 12, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Siegel has a knack for suspense, but this story failed to have the very pulse-raising tension which existed in DERAILED. However, it was an enjoyable, compelling book. His characters are well developed and often believable.
Kevin
Jun 16, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent "un-put-down-able" read! A couple goes to Columbia to adopt a child. The wife is held for ranson...unless the husband hauls 2 million in drugs to the states, they will all be killed. Great author, great book!
Detour 2 6 May 27, 2011 06:16AM
  • Midnight Rain
  • Callsign: Deep Blue (Tom Duncan) (Chess Team, #7)
  • Sunstroke
  • We're All Monsters
  • Scorpion Tongues New and Updated Edition: Gossip, Celebrity, and American Politics
  • Stone Rain
  • Louise's War (Louise Pearlie, #1)
  • Time After Time
  • Mania
  • The Thieves Of Faith (Michael St. Pierre, #2)
  • Taken By The Sheikh (Sheikh's Arabian Nights #5)
  • Fire and Ice
  • La mémoire fantôme (Lucie Hennebelle, #2)
  • Crépuscule Ville
  • Give Peas a Chance
  • Tough as Nails: One Woman's Journey Through West Point
  • The Elixir of Death (Crowner John Mystery #10)
  • Untouched Until Marriage