Start by marking “Little Pig Joins the Band” as Want to Read:
Little Pig Joins the Band

Little Pig Joins the Band

Little Pig has trouble keeping up with his older--and bigger--brothers and sisters. When they get out Grandpa's old marching-band instruments, Little Pig is too little to play any of them. But when the disorganized band has a pig-pile mishap, Little Pig has a BIG idea: They could use a leader.
Published July 1st 2011 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Little Pig Joins the Band, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Pig Joins the Band

June
Nov 04, 2011 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, instruments requests
Shelves: picture-book, pigs
I tried this in storytime, because I enjoy the story of someone little finding a way to help and participate. However, even though the story was well received, I think it is better as a lap book, all the little comments don't really work real well with large (60) groups. 11/4/11

On a side note David Costello is a wonderful author to have as a program. Our Preschool said, he was "a real treat!" His six foot tall giraffe puppet is absolutely amazing! He also plays the kazoo and ukelele. He introduc
Nathan
Jun 10, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This book's illustrations grabbed me right from the get-go. I enjoyed the plot as well and think it would be a nice book for storytime. It might be difficult because of the characters' dialogues being separate from the story (similar to speech bubbles) but I think it will be okay. I will try it out for storytime soon.
Sarah W
Jun 20, 2012 Sarah W rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read on the new Reading Rainbow app. Levar Burton narrating was a lot of fun.
Jodi
Nov 11, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it
This book ended up being read daily by my 3 year old son. He loved the simple storyline and learned the names of the instruments - plus we practiced all the sounds they made. A fun book with a great message, that even if you are little you still can lead.
April
Oct 22, 2012 April rated it it was amazing
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from Children's Literature says, "Little Pig does not enjoy being called "Little Pig" instead of his real name, Jacob. When his older brothers and sisters take out Grandpa's old band instruments, Little Pig is very disappointed to be too small to play any of them. As each sibling takes an instrument and begins to march, however, he notes their disorganization. He decides they need a leader. With an ear and double-page-splitting "TWEET" in a red blast of color from a
Tasha
May 11, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
His family all call Jacob, Little Pig, and he is the smallest in his family. So when his siblings get out his Grandpa’s old marching-band instruments, Little Pig has trouble finding one that fits him. He’s far too small for the drums, too little for the trumpet and trombone, and don’t even ask about the tuba! All he can do is watch as his older brothers and sisters march around the room. But when they come to a crashing stop, Little Pig knows just how he can join the band after all.

This simple s
Barbara
Jul 14, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Jacob, known to everyone as Little Pig, can't find an instrument to suit him when the family opens up a box of old musical instruments. After all, he's too little. As he watches everyone have fun, Little Pig makes all sorts of observations on the action until he finally finds his place as the leader of the band. I liked how the young pig found his own place in the family, even earning their respect. There is some playful word play: piccolos/pickles; harmonica/Monica; and kazoo/Gesundheit.The ink ...more
Candice
Nov 15, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie, Dave
Shelves: picture-books
This was a delight from beginning to end. The story is great, the illustrations appealing, and it's fun for just about any age. Little Pig (who really wants his older siblings to call him Jacob) and his brothers and sisters find a box of musical instruments in Grandpa Pig's attic. Little Pig is too little to play any of them, although he wishes for a harmonica or a kazoo or a piccolo. But what's a little pig to do in a situation like this? A piggy band mishap opens the door for Little Pig's big ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Little Pig didn’t like being little when his family got out their instruments and marched in a band. He is too little to play the instruments. When he discovers a whistle and a baton and a drum major’s hat, he happily finds that he can join the group.

A nice triumph for a small pig, with sweet illustrations.

“Little Pig was too little to play the drum,
so Margie played the drum.
Little Pig was too little to play the trombone,
so Peter played the trombone.
Little Pig was too little to play the trumpe
Jana
This is an adorable book about a Little Pig that's too little to play the marching band instruments his grandfather sets out for him and his older brothers and sisters to play with. It's great watching the Little Pig try to figure out a way that he can fit in. I love the illustrations. My favorite is the Little Pig trying to play the drum that's way too big for him. All you can see is his little snout sticking up above the rim of the drum.
Heidi-Marie
Needed a music-themed book for preschool storytime. This one looks great. Love the pictures and all the little comments. (Just like in "Oh Ducky!")

8/13/14 Used as an opener for music theme preschool storytime. I have an almost entirely new crowd. Left out a few comments and kept a few in. Had to explain some of the humor. But overall this went well and was definitely the favorite of the 3 books.
Lisa
Jul 10, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
When little pig and his siblings go to grandpa's house, everyone wants to be in the band. Especially Little Pig (who hates that nickname by the way) But he is little, and too small to play any of the instruments in Grandpa's band. But can the littlest member of the band be the most important? He can if he has the right part. This sweet book about finding out where you fit in, is as good for bedtime as it is story time.
Amanda
Jul 13, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
A co-worker recommended this to me; she used it in a storytime this week. Sweet and funny with all the little asides between the pigs (I don't think she read them as part of the storytime) and with a good message about working together to achieve harmony (literally). Sometimes, it takes a little one to lead us to a solution.
Rosa Cline
Sep 29, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
A group of children go to Grandpa's house and they get into his old band items. The smallest piglet the siblings call "Little Pig" and he doesn't like it. And everything he tries to do he's to small but everyone else finds what they do best. BUT in the end he comes to the rescue and finds his place. Cute little book. And wouldn't be really hard for a beginning reader.
Nick
Jan 09, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A really cute story about a little pig whose older siblings mostly ignore him. They find a bunch of band instruments at grandpa's house, but all are too big for little Jacob, from trumpet to tuba. In the end, though, he finds something he can use, to help his family turn into a marching band.
The story is both about creativity and cooperation, and works very well.
Kristen
Little Pig (no one calls him by his name, Jacob) is too little to play an instrument in the family band, but he is just the right size for what they desperately need - a band leader. Cute, especially for a music theme.
Meg
Sep 08, 2013 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I'd give this 2.75 stars. It's nothing earth-shattering, but the illustrations are cute and the too-small pig, Jacob, learns to find his place in the band as a drum major. This makes for a solid themed-storytime pick when covering instruments, music, or being small/too little.
Tricia
Jul 27, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Little Pig doesn't like being little sometimes, especially when it means that he can't get the right fit for an instrument in the family band. He finds out that he can make a big difference despite his small size.
Angela
May 19, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the classic feel of the illustrations. Some might call this little pig bossy, but I call it young expressions of leadership. Check this one out and decide for yourself!

Young leaders (pig or human) unite!
Susan
Sep 23, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Great for Musical Storytelling at Soundbridge.
Megan
Jul 19, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool-2nd grade
All of the band instruments are too big for Little Pig (who would prefer to be called Jacob). After much frustration, he finally discovers a way he can be part of the band.
M. Jones
Aug 26, 2013 M. Jones rated it really liked it
My son (3) and daughter (7) both enjoyed this one. I liked the subtle hints to the kind grandpa being too big for his old band uniform.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Sep 17, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Little Pig isn't quite sure how he can fit in but he finds just the right role in this family band.
Cristina
Dec 19, 2012 Cristina rated it liked it
Shelves: pigs
Probably not as good as a big, loud storytime read, but I think a great level reading with preschoolers one on one or in a small group.
Lauren
Nov 10, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
For a PK4- 1st grade readloud, it would be fun to play a sound clip of each instrument as it comes up in the text.
Karen
Jun 25, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Great intro to musical instruments and a cute "little people can triumph" book.
Katy Hoffler
Jul 13, 2014 Katy Hoffler rated it it was amazing
Adorable!
Mary Lee
Dec 27, 2011 Mary Lee rated it really liked it
Little Pig is too little to play an instrument, but not too little to lead the band!
Mandy
Aug 19, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it
Little pig is so little that everyone in his family ignores him as they find instruments to play in a marching band. He eventually finds the best place to be- the leader! Cute, funny- short.
Kendra
Feb 10, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it
Just the right amount of predictability for preschoolers. Plus, some fun asides for those cheekier kids. Short and sweet.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pig Kahuna
  • Red Wagon
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • Pick a Pup
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • Duck Sock Hop