Start by marking “Letters to a Soldier” as Want to Read:
Letters to a Soldier

Letters to a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #6.5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  22 reviews

In LETTERS TO A SOLDIER, Julia Spencer-Fleming provides new content--letters exchanged between the main characters in I Shall Not Want and One Was a Soldier. Along with the letters, there is also a special note from Julia Spencer-Fleming and a sneak peak of ONE WAS A SOLDIER.

Julia Spencer-Fleming burst onto the mystery scene with her debut, In the Bleak Midwinter, gar

Published March 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters to a Soldier

Carol
...I think I miss Clare and Russ, that's what I think. Reading these few letters and the first chapter of "One Was a Soldier" again has left me in a bad place. The next book about Millers Kill isn't scheduled to come out until sometime in the fall (oh please, please, please) and I'm not sure I'm up to the wait. Last week I read all of Julia Spencer-Fleming's work in progress chapters on the new book and my Russ-and-Clare addiction is now once again in full-force. I don't know what it is about th ...more
Jenny
This very quick read contained letters/e-mails between people at home and on the warfront. It was really not worth the time unless you've read the other related books by this author.
Jess
I would have read an entire book like this, but this was just so goddamn short.
TJ
Thought this was an actual book, not a teaser. Oh well
Janingle40
I have read the entire series. The first book's title intrigued me because it is the title of one of my favorite Christmas hymns. Once I started reading, I was intrigued by the Rev. Clare Fergusson, an Episcopal priest who had also served in the army and was good at solving mysteries and putting herself in harm's way to do it. Then there was sexual tension developing with the police chief, Russ Van Alstyne - and the little town in upstate New York is a great backdrop for all the drama...these bo ...more
Sue
This was incredibly sweet and good. The detail was super--typos in the email, etc. The comment about Will's mom taking the bumper sticker out of the trash brought a lump to my throat as I pictured what preceeded that.

I just wish there had been more. Be forwarned--there are only, maybe 5 letters. The remainder is a preview of the book it supports. Yes, it was free, so it's not like I was ripped off, but these characters are so very dear I really wish there had been more.
Jan C
This was a real short (free) teaser for the new book, One Was a Soldier: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mystery.

I guess I'll have to go ahead and get the real book now. As if there was any doubt that I was going to anyway.
D
very, very brief collection of maybe five letters or emails exchanged between soldiers from millers kill deployed in the middle east and their family members back home. all realistically and clearly drawn, setting up the psychologies and action for book 7, One Was a Soldier.
Dee
This was a free nook book, and it was ok. I was expecting a book full of letters exchanged between people. There was a handful of letters and a preview to the book One Was a Soldier. The preview had a ton of grammar issues and typos. I wasn't impressed.
Donna
I have never read anything from this author before but she is on my list now. i really enjoyed this very short take on her novel. The detail she adds got me on page one. As someone we all know says "I'll be back."

4/26/12
Lisa
Very interesting preview to the book. Have never read any other books in this series but it captured me anyway and made me want to read more.
ReneeW
Way too short- only about 5 letters. But I enjoyed a glimpse of the characters from my favorite mystery series. It was free so can't complain. :)
Kathy Thielking
If you've been following the series in order, which is the only way to read them, this book is very satisfying.
I love the very short essay. Glad it was free. Gives insight into the next book.
Anna

I've heard better stories from the military en and women I speak to daily.
Katie
Totally expected there to be more to this. But what's there is nice!
Scoozer
It was very, very short. I liked the letters, but wanted more.
Amy
It really answered questions in the book.
Elizabeth
Too short and unsatisfying.
Holly
Too short, I expected more.
Kay
well written. loved it
Valerie Jackson
Valerie Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ginbquik
Ginbquik marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Dr. Daniel
Dr. Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup! Five Short Mysteries
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • One Small Victory
  • Thicker Than Water (Leo Waterman, #7)
  • Deadly Sanctuary (Kendall O'Dell #1)
  • The Dead Saint
  • A Plunder by Pilgrims
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • There Must Be Murder
  • Protector
  • Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)
  • Beneath the Book Tower (Alex McKnight, #0.5)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • For Sale In Palm Springs (Henry Wright #1)
  • Disturbed Earth
  • A Haunting Is Brewing (A Witchcraft Mystery #6.5)
  • In the Belly of Jonah (A Liv Bergen Mystery #1)
Wednesday, September 7

Work-In-Progress Wednesday at my Reader Space. We're up to the fifth part of the second chapter of my eighth book, which has some numerological meaning, I'm sure. http://bit.ly/p2QwJa
More about Julia Spencer-Fleming...
In the Bleak Midwinter (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #1) I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6) One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7) A Fountain Filled With Blood (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #2) Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)