Start by marking “Letters to a Soldier” as Want to Read:
Letters to a Soldier

Letters to a Soldier (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #6.5)

In LETTERS TO A SOLDIER, Julia Spencer-Fleming provides new content--letters exchanged between the main characters in I Shall Not Want and One Was a Soldier. Along with the letters, there is also a special note from Julia Spencer-Fleming and a sneak peak of ONE WAS A SOLDIER.

Julia Spencer-Fleming burst onto the mystery scene with her debut, In the Bleak Midwinter, gar

Published March 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters to a Soldier

Carol
Apr 30, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...I think I miss Clare and Russ, that's what I think. Reading these few letters and the first chapter of "One Was a Soldier" again has left me in a bad place. The next book about Millers Kill isn't scheduled to come out until sometime in the fall (oh please, please, please) and I'm not sure I'm up to the wait. Last week I read all of Julia Spencer-Fleming's work in progress chapters on the new book and my Russ-and-Clare addiction is now once again in full-force. I don't know what it is about th ...more
Ann Rodgers
I am a huge fan of the Rev. Clare Fergusson-Russ Van Alstyne series. It's a long wait between books, and since I am currently working on a (non-fiction) book myself I have almost no time to read for pleasure. So I was thrilled to discover this tiny volume on GoodReads. It's very short -- time spent reading is measured in minutes rather than hours. But if you have reached as far as "I Shall Not Want" and "One Was a Soldier," these letters will be meaningful and will shed further light on the char ...more
Janingle40
I have read the entire series. The first book's title intrigued me because it is the title of one of my favorite Christmas hymns. Once I started reading, I was intrigued by the Rev. Clare Fergusson, an Episcopal priest who had also served in the army and was good at solving mysteries and putting herself in harm's way to do it. Then there was sexual tension developing with the police chief, Russ Van Alstyne - and the little town in upstate New York is a great backdrop for all the drama...these bo ...more
Sue
Jun 13, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was incredibly sweet and good. The detail was super--typos in the email, etc. The comment about Will's mom taking the bumper sticker out of the trash brought a lump to my throat as I pictured what preceeded that.

I just wish there had been more. Be forwarned--there are only, maybe 5 letters. The remainder is a preview of the book it supports. Yes, it was free, so it's not like I was ripped off, but these characters are so very dear I really wish there had been more.
Aug 27, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this ages ago, but somehow neglected to rate or review it. I enjoyed these letters that bridge the gap between the 6th and 7th books in this series. They made me miss Russ and Clare a little bit less. I just wish Julia Spencer-Fleming would write faster--there is too long a wait between her books for devoted readers like me!
Jan C
Apr 28, 2011 Jan C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, kindle-single
This was a real short (free) teaser for the new book, One Was a Soldier: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mystery.

I guess I'll have to go ahead and get the real book now. As if there was any doubt that I was going to anyway.
Jason Daugherty
Nov 29, 2015 Jason Daugherty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!!!! I love this book. It will make you cry and laugh at the same time!!!!

Fantastic!!!! I love this book. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time!!! Believe me you will love it
Dee
May 07, 2013 Dee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a free nook book, and it was ok. I was expecting a book full of letters exchanged between people. There was a handful of letters and a preview to the book One Was a Soldier. The preview had a ton of grammar issues and typos. I wasn't impressed.
D
very, very brief collection of maybe five letters or emails exchanged between soldiers from millers kill deployed in the middle east and their family members back home. all realistically and clearly drawn, setting up the psychologies and action for book 7, One Was a Soldier.
Donna
Jan 06, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I have never read anything from this author before but she is on my list now. i really enjoyed this very short take on her novel. The detail she adds got me on page one. As someone we all know says "I'll be back."

4/26/12
Laura Salas
May 19, 2016 Laura Salas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, e-book
Calling this 6.5 is really misleading. It's pretty much just a preview for the next book. Disappointed.
Kathy Thielking
Jan 19, 2013 Kathy Thielking rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've been following the series in order, which is the only way to read them, this book is very satisfying.
Lisa
May 18, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting preview to the book. Have never read any other books in this series but it captured me anyway and made me want to read more.
Jenny
May 21, 2014 Jenny rated it did not like it
This very quick read contained letters/e-mails between people at home and on the warfront. It was really not worth the time unless you've read the other related books by this author.
ReneeW
Way too short- only about 5 letters. But I enjoyed a glimpse of the characters from my favorite mystery series. It was free so can't complain. :)
Lee & Kathy Levin
Lee & Kathy Levin rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Drew
Drew rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Navarra
Navarra rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Hillary
Hillary rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Joan Frazier
Joan Frazier rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Valorie Hickey
Valorie Hickey rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Kathyk
Kathyk rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Paulla
Paulla rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Leann
Leann rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Aimee
Aimee rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • One Small Victory
  • Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup! Five Short Mysteries
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Dead Cold Brew (Coffeehouse Mystery, #16)
  • The Cats that Told a Fortune (The Cats That #3)
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • Mick Abruzzo: The Second Wire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #9.5)
  • There Must Be Murder
  • Die Laughing: 5 Comic Crime Novels
  • Probable Paws (Mystic Notch Cozy Mystery #5)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Cat on the Money (Joe Grey, #6.5)
  • The Colony Cat Caper (Klepto Cat Mystery #5)
  • Top Suspense: 13 Classic Stories By 12 Masters Of The Genre
  • A Plunder by Pilgrims (Garrison Gage, #0.5)
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
Wednesday, September 7

Work-In-Progress Wednesday at my Reader Space. We're up to the fifth part of the second chapter of my eighth book, which has some numerological meaning, I'm sure. http://bit.ly/p2QwJa
More about Julia Spencer-Fleming...

The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries (9 books)
  • In the Bleak Midwinter (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #1)
  • A Fountain Filled with Blood (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #2)
  • Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
  • To Darkness and to Death (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #4)
  • All Mortal Flesh (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #5)
  • I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
  • One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)