Understanding Our Mind: 50 Verses on Buddhist Psychology

Published February 15th 2006 by Parallax Press

Eric
Oct 07, 2009 Eric is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Thich Nhat Hanh is THE master of mindfulness practice, in my limited opinion... This book holds one key to understanding Buddhism - the drive to understand the mind as it really is.
Priya
The concepts in this book, if applied properly, can be very useful for individuals as well as for professionals working with clients suffering from mental afflictions. This book supports the ecological relationship between individuals and their social environments. Some of the ideas presented can also be useful in promoting culturally informed psychotherapeutic practices.
Andrea Hejtmanek
Difficult to read. One must really have their full attention and a quite space to contemplate the teachings. I need to read this again as I feel a lot of the material has escaped.
Malinda
In this book, Thich Nhat Hanh tackles 50 Buddhist verses that embody Buddhist psychology. These 50 verses, known as the Avatamsaka Sutra, are difficult to interpret in their original form. Thich Nhat Hanh does an excellent job of putting these verses into modern, accessible language. The heart of Buddhist psychology is mindfulness - what we allow to be "watered" in our mind, the good seeds or the bad. Anyone, regardless of their faith tradition, can learn and grown from an examination of these v...more
Aaron Gibson
I am obsessed with this book. Religious people beware.

I had often wondered and hypothesized where "decision-making" comes from. At the moment of red or blue, right or laugh, say something or dont say anything-- what drives our actions?

Want to find out...?

Read it!!!
Chanita.Shannon
This profound look at Buddhist psychology offers important insights into how Buddhism's ancient teachings apply to the modern world. Basing his work on the writings of the great fifth-century Buddhist master Vasubandhu and the teachings of the Avatamsaka Sutra, Thich Nhat Hanh focuses on the direct experience of recognizing the true nature of consciousness. Presenting the basic teachings of Buddhist applied psychology, he shows how the mind is like a field, where every kind of seed is planted —...more
William
This was a book of value. Perhaps not because of an extraordinary plot, wise character development, or brilliant writing style, but because of the meaning behind the words. Thich Nhat Hanh writes about the mind with fifty verses from Buddhist master Vasubandhu as the core. Explaining the verses in depth in clear language that always gets to the heart of the matter, Thich Naht Hanh ties mind consciousness into one's daily life. I struggled to get through this book, but it has added meaning to my...more
Tim Weakley
Exercise for the brain! I think a more thorough grounding in the more dogmatic aspects of Buddhism would be beneficial to anyone wanting to tackle this book. It is a collection of what were formerly talks, and lectures and because of that there is a lot of repetition of certain ideas and analogies. I appreciated about two thirds of the book, with the other third being fairly lost on me. Having said this I will say that I think that this is the fault of the reader and not the book.
Prabhat Saraswat
Another gem. 50 verses amazingly put together. Takes on the labyrinth of a journey in our mind, thoughts and consciousness..

should read. a good read
Linda Walters
This is one of Thay's more "technical" books. It is a rather detailed introduction to the complex topic of Buddhist psychology. This will deserve a second reading in a few months that will include many side trips to referenced texts and cross-referencing with other works on Buddhist psychology. If the subject of Buddhist psychology interests you, but delving into it has seemed like a daunting undertaking, this is a perfect place to start.
Nathan
Jul 26, 2007 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in the nuts and bolts of consciousness
this book is deep, very deep. it is an analysis of 4th century buddhist cat's poem, Vasubandhu's "50 Verses". It basically describes a useful framework for understanding consciousness -- but don't get attached to the concepts described! They are meant for absorbing and letting go.
David
A very broad perspective on a very complicated subject - the mind. Thich Nhat Hanh brings his gentle language to explaining what brings about mental turmoil and how to alleviate that suffering in a detailed and thorough manner.
Breanne
Very helpful in parts. A bit hard to read as it is very technical. Easy to get lost in the 3 somethings, the 5 something elses, etc... But, read it as part of a book club, and truly enjoyed the conversations that arose.
Hollis
I'd read this before, but forgot, in picking it up, that it's slow going - a much more intellectural Buddhist exercise than general book about spirituality, unlike many of his other books.
Sunny Johnson
Incredibly fundamental. This book is completely necessary for the understanding of mental patterns and psychological structures. Thich Nhat Hanh may not have made a better work than this.
Jessica
This book was somewhat heavy on my mind. I read it over a period of time and will more than likely return to it, due to it's short verse style.
Nomi
To date, the most dense book I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh-
dense in the sense of packed with facts about Buddhism-he is,
as always, clear as a bell.
Gary Gutierrez
Difficult read for one new to Buddhist practices. There are insights to be gained though.
Kat
so interesting to think of thoughts as seeds that might be cultivated in your mind.
Jordan
If you could read one book about how the mind works, this is it, read read read
Kelly
Buddhist psychology. Very helpful.
Dayna Barnes
Dayna Barnes marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Hardyosefan
Hardyosefan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Koula Kremastioti
Koula Kremastioti marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Courtney Sequin
Courtney Sequin marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jon Wallis
Jon Wallis marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Britney Placencia
Britney Placencia marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Laura added it
Jul 09, 2014
Eileen
Eileen added it
Jul 07, 2014
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • Falling Into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering
  • Dancing with Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • How to See Yourself As You Really Are
  • The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation: As Taught by S. N. Goenka
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary...more
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life Living Buddha, Living Christ The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Being Peace The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation

“My actions are my only true belongings.” 374 likes
“My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.” 127 likes