Start by marking “Understanding Our Mind: 50 Verses on Buddhist Psychology” as Want to Read:
Understanding Our Mind: 50 Verses on Buddhist Psychology

Understanding Our Mind: 50 Verses on Buddhist Psychology

Published May 14th 2014 by Parallax Press (first published February 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Our Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Our Mind

Eric
Oct 07, 2009 Eric is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Thich Nhat Hanh is THE master of mindfulness practice, in my limited opinion... This book holds one key to understanding Buddhism - the drive to understand the mind as it really is.
Chanita.Shannon
This profound look at Buddhist psychology offers important insights into how Buddhism's ancient teachings apply to the modern world. Basing his work on the writings of the great fifth-century Buddhist master Vasubandhu and the teachings of the Avatamsaka Sutra, Thich Nhat Hanh focuses on the direct experience of recognizing the true nature of consciousness. Presenting the basic teachings of Buddhist applied psychology, he shows how the mind is like a field, where every kind of seed is planted — ...more
Priya
Jul 21, 2010 Priya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concepts in this book, if applied properly, can be very useful for individuals as well as for professionals working with clients suffering from mental afflictions. This book supports the ecological relationship between individuals and their social environments. Some of the ideas presented can also be useful in promoting culturally informed psychotherapeutic practices.
David
Jul 21, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very broad perspective on a very complicated subject - the mind. Thich Nhat Hanh brings his gentle language to explaining what brings about mental turmoil and how to alleviate that suffering in a detailed and thorough manner.
Andrea
Mar 10, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to read. One must really have their full attention and a quite space to contemplate the teachings. I need to read this again as I feel a lot of the material has escaped.
Prabhat Saraswat
Another gem. 50 verses amazingly put together. Takes on the labyrinth of a journey in our mind, thoughts and consciousness..

should read. a good read
Chris Carlisle
Jul 27, 2016 Chris Carlisle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Our mind is a field in which every kind of seed is sown--seeds of compassion, joy, and hope, seeds of sorrow, fear, and difficulties," Thich Nhat Hanh writes. "Every day our thoughts, words, and deeds plant new seeds in the field of our consciousness, and what these seeds generate becomes the substance of our life" (p. 21). This book is a compilation of dharma teachings given by Thich Nhat Hanh between 1989 and 1998 on Buddhist psychology. The teachings here are subtle, complex, and look deeply ...more
Walter Burton
Dec 16, 2014 Walter Burton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This was not a book to be read quickly or taken lightly. It is a very in depth look at the foundation of Buddhist psychology and how our mind reacts or seeds of conscientious plant both from our past and current actions. It a wonderful guide to both the why and how we respond to life and more importantly stress we are in control of our Karma.

It is not a book to just read and think you can apply the concept. It should supplement a good Zen practice to help prepare the mind to become mindful vers
William
Jul 14, 2010 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book of value. Perhaps not because of an extraordinary plot, wise character development, or brilliant writing style, but because of the meaning behind the words. Thich Nhat Hanh writes about the mind with fifty verses from Buddhist master Vasubandhu as the core. Explaining the verses in depth in clear language that always gets to the heart of the matter, Thich Naht Hanh ties mind consciousness into one's daily life. I struggled to get through this book, but it has added meaning to my ...more
Malinda
Apr 05, 2014 Malinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Thich Nhat Hanh tackles 50 Buddhist verses that embody Buddhist psychology. These 50 verses, known as the Avatamsaka Sutra, are difficult to interpret in their original form. Thich Nhat Hanh does an excellent job of putting these verses into modern, accessible language. The heart of Buddhist psychology is mindfulness - what we allow to be "watered" in our mind, the good seeds or the bad. Anyone, regardless of their faith tradition, can learn and grown from an examination of these v ...more
Linda Walters
Jul 29, 2013 Linda Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This is one of Thay's more "technical" books. It is a rather detailed introduction to the complex topic of Buddhist psychology. This will deserve a second reading in a few months that will include many side trips to referenced texts and cross-referencing with other works on Buddhist psychology. If the subject of Buddhist psychology interests you, but delving into it has seemed like a daunting undertaking, this is a perfect place to start.
Tim Weakley
Exercise for the brain! I think a more thorough grounding in the more dogmatic aspects of Buddhism would be beneficial to anyone wanting to tackle this book. It is a collection of what were formerly talks, and lectures and because of that there is a lot of repetition of certain ideas and analogies. I appreciated about two thirds of the book, with the other third being fairly lost on me. Having said this I will say that I think that this is the fault of the reader and not the book.
Aaron Gibson
I am obsessed with this book. Religious people beware.

I had often wondered and hypothesized where "decision-making" comes from. At the moment of red or blue, right or laugh, say something or dont say anything-- what drives our actions?

Want to find out...?

Read it!!!
Nathan
Jul 26, 2007 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in the nuts and bolts of consciousness
this book is deep, very deep. it is an analysis of 4th century buddhist cat's poem, Vasubandhu's "50 Verses". It basically describes a useful framework for understanding consciousness -- but don't get attached to the concepts described! They are meant for absorbing and letting go.
Ross
Jan 28, 2016 Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The mind is a field, every kind of seed is planted in it. Hanh joyfully presents his case for mindfulness - the essential tool for cultivating the seeds of well-being and transforming the seeds of suffering.
Breanne
Very helpful in parts. A bit hard to read as it is very technical. Easy to get lost in the 3 somethings, the 5 something elses, etc... But, read it as part of a book club, and truly enjoyed the conversations that arose.
Sunny Johnson
Jul 16, 2013 Sunny Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly fundamental. This book is completely necessary for the understanding of mental patterns and psychological structures. Thich Nhat Hanh may not have made a better work than this.
Jessica
This book was somewhat heavy on my mind. I read it over a period of time and will more than likely return to it, due to it's short verse style.
Hollis
Jul 22, 2008 Hollis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I'd read this before, but forgot, in picking it up, that it's slow going - a much more intellectural Buddhist exercise than general book about spirituality, unlike many of his other books.
Nomi
Oct 19, 2007 Nomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To date, the most dense book I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh-
dense in the sense of packed with facts about Buddhism-he is,
as always, clear as a bell.
Pisethneat
Pisethneat rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Chetwyn
Chetwyn rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2009
Sander Thijsen
Sander Thijsen rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Jackal42
Jackal42 rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2013
Vinny Bogan
Vinny Bogan rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Stephey Baker
Stephey Baker rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
Joel Starkey
Joel Starkey rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Madalene
Madalene rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2011
Bscherm
Bscherm rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
  • Journey Without Goal: The Tantric Wisdom of the Buddha
  • Sayings of the Buddha: New Translations from the Pali Nikayas
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Stepping Out of Self-Deception: The Buddha's Liberating Teaching of No-Self
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga
  • The Mind of Clover: Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Big Mind Big Heart: Finding Your Way
  • The Feeling Buddha: A Buddhist Psychology of Character, Adversity and Passion
  • In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“My actions are my only true belongings.” 489 likes
“My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.” 182 likes