It's Not About the Horse: It's about Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt

It's Not About the Horse: It's about Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Wyatt Webb blends horse sense with common sense in a revolutionary new form of therapy. If you want to deal with your demons, it helps to make a pit stop in Tucson, Arizona. His tools are not a leather couch and a standard therapist's stopwatch that informs you when "time is up." Time has been up for some of his clients for a long, long time. They are long overdue when it...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Hay House, Inc. (first published August 2002)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not About the Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not About the Horse

Karen
On my fifth trip to Miraval last month, I finally got to do the Equine Experience - it always fills up fast. My last encounter with a horse landed me in the hospital with three broken ribs and a collapsed lung, so I was a little nervous about being so close to one (it wasn't the horse's fault, or mine) as well as what I might learn about myself.

I got Leo, a 27 year old brown beauty. The tasks are to get the horse to lift it's leg by squeezing the lower leg, clean the hoof, groom, then walk the...more
LizG
Full of down-to-earth, meaningful insight and incredible examples of what it takes to change our lives. Per Wyatt Webb, it's not that complicated: if what you're doing isn't working, do something different. I have to say, that approach always works for me (when I finally figure out that I'm hitting my head pointlessly against the wall).

Webb hits the nail on the head when he says fear and self-doubt are the source of our troubles as humankind. I've noticed that with a lot with coaching clients -...more
Brandi
After attending The Equine Experience at Miraval, I knew I wanted to read more about the work the Wyatt and his co-workers do. I was incredibly touched by the Experience and think of the effect it had on my daily. Reading Wyatt's own story and how he survived and triumphed makes me believe in the process even more. I enjoyed the stories he shared of past clients and the successes. I think I would have liked to read a few stories of those who struggled with the process, who didn't find immediate...more
Lorna
The book is helpful and interesting if you are looking for ways to overcome fear and self-doubt. The style is a woman tryingt to write the words of Wyatt Webb in his voice. It is about the content not the style of the book. It is a quick read and I did it in two sittings. I picked it up because a few years ago I went horseback riding because I knew I was afraid of horses and I knew that I wanted to connect with these animals. I knew it would shift my fears to courage. Working through your fears...more
Jennifer Ricker
Wow! What a great book! There's a story in there for about every type of person. Wyatt actually makes one feel okay to be dysfunctional! His stories with his patients interacting with the horses are amazing! This is one of those books though, that anybody, horse-lover or not, could read and get something out of the experience! Wyatt writes like a real person standing next to you talking. Great book!
Beth
I'd probably gfive it 2 1/2 stars. Quick read about a guy who developed a horse therapy to replace conventional therapy. Not sure I buy it, but it was interesting. Again, it all comes back to The Secret. You get what you give.

I could have skipped the first half of the book which was about his drug ridden, booze laden first 36 years.
This book doesn't really go into the therapy. Rather, it provides several examples of how horses can mirror what someone is feeling, which provides the person insight. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be.
Louise
This a great book about accepting responsibility for your own life. He's straightforward and no nonsense! Ny friend met him and did his Equine Experience and said it was one of the best experiences of her life.
Julie

Pretty good self help book. Mostly stories and some Bio. If you are a horse person, you might enjoy. He went through alot and still gives only a little detail. I did take away some good things from this book.
katymoo
Kinda repetitive and poorly written, (and the typos in the Kindle edition! Shocking) but still an interesting story about the healing powers of man vs horse. A fast read, and it was worth my time.
Jill
I work with the author of this book and teach the tenets of this book on a daily basis and I think it is a straightforward, no BS guide to decreasing stress and increasing joy in anyone's life.
Lisa Davis
If you want to follow a path of personal growth, this book will have some tools for your toolbox.It may not be the book everyone needs but it certainly was the one I needed.
Katie
I meet and participated in one of his programs at Miraval retreat center in Arizona. It was a fabulous experience!! The book is interesting and a fairly quick read.
Patresa
Informative and entertaining exploration of therapeutic relationships between humans and horses. Wyatt Webb is a different kind of crusty cowboy. Refeshing.
Tiffany
I found this a very helpful book...a book giving me some personal growth and perspective of my own inner being. It brought me healing.
Tamilyn White
Funny...it's not about other people either...
Olivia
Really good. Good message.
Bethany Hardin
Bethany Hardin marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Teri
Teri added it
Jul 23, 2014
Kim Keith
Kim Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Carter
Carter marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Just starting 1 2 May 23, 2008 09:17AM
What To Do When You Don't Know What To Do: Common Horse Sense Five Steps For Overcoming Fear And Self Doubt: Journey Into Present Moment Time Five Steps to Overcoming Fear and Self Doubt: Journey into Present-Moment Time

“Whether or not you get what you're looknig for depends entirely on one things and one thing only. It depends on your willingness to do something different.” 3 likes