Start by marking “It's Not About the Horse: It's about Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt” as Want to Read:
It's Not About the Horse: It's about Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt

It's Not About the Horse: It's about Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt

Wyatt Webb blends horse sense with common sense in a revolutionary new form of therapy. If you want to deal with your demons, it helps to make a pit stop in Tucson, Arizona. His tools are not a leather couch and a standard therapist's stopwatch that informs you when "time is up." Time has been up for some of his clients for a long, long time. They are long overdue when it ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Hay House, Inc. (first published August 2002)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not About the Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not About the Horse

Neil Hepworth
Oct 02, 2015 Neil Hepworth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My Prologue
Part of me feels bad that I’m going to rip into this book because, I mean c’mon, the dude is just trying to use horses to make a the world a better place. And I’m sure that he and his horses are wonderful at his job. But darnit, someone out there is is paying money to read this book! And so, here comes a review of this book that is so very filled with horse apples.

My Review
These 200 pages are not a book but a brochure. There is no actual wisdom dispensed here - just a few shallow, su
Nov 13, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On my fifth trip to Miraval last month, I finally got to do the Equine Experience - it always fills up fast. My last encounter with a horse landed me in the hospital with three broken ribs and a collapsed lung, so I was a little nervous about being so close to one (it wasn't the horse's fault, or mine) as well as what I might learn about myself.

I got Leo, a 27 year old brown beauty. The tasks are to get the horse to lift it's leg by squeezing the lower leg, clean the hoof, groom, then walk the
Jun 07, 2010 LizG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of down-to-earth, meaningful insight and incredible examples of what it takes to change our lives. Per Wyatt Webb, it's not that complicated: if what you're doing isn't working, do something different. I have to say, that approach always works for me (when I finally figure out that I'm hitting my head pointlessly against the wall).

Webb hits the nail on the head when he says fear and self-doubt are the source of our troubles as humankind. I've noticed that with a lot with coaching clients -
Oct 21, 2013 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After attending The Equine Experience at Miraval, I knew I wanted to read more about the work the Wyatt and his co-workers do. I was incredibly touched by the Experience and think of the effect it had on my daily. Reading Wyatt's own story and how he survived and triumphed makes me believe in the process even more. I enjoyed the stories he shared of past clients and the successes. I think I would have liked to read a few stories of those who struggled with the process, who didn't find immediate ...more
Apr 01, 2012 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is helpful and interesting if you are looking for ways to overcome fear and self-doubt. The style is a woman tryingt to write the words of Wyatt Webb in his voice. It is about the content not the style of the book. It is a quick read and I did it in two sittings. I picked it up because a few years ago I went horseback riding because I knew I was afraid of horses and I knew that I wanted to connect with these animals. I knew it would shift my fears to courage. Working through your fears ...more
Jennifer Ricker
Dec 16, 2012 Jennifer Ricker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a great book! There's a story in there for about every type of person. Wyatt actually makes one feel okay to be dysfunctional! His stories with his patients interacting with the horses are amazing! This is one of those books though, that anybody, horse-lover or not, could read and get something out of the experience! Wyatt writes like a real person standing next to you talking. Great book!
Jul 13, 2016 Krissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I started reading this book in hopes it would help me get my confidence back after a horseback accident a few years back. I have been looking at my issues with my new horse from purely a training perspective. This book helped me reevaluate myself and my approach to ultimately develop a better relationship with my mare. After 30 years of equine experience I've never had such a good relationship with a horse - thank you, Wyatt.
Dec 01, 2007 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd probably gfive it 2 1/2 stars. Quick read about a guy who developed a horse therapy to replace conventional therapy. Not sure I buy it, but it was interesting. Again, it all comes back to The Secret. You get what you give.

I could have skipped the first half of the book which was about his drug ridden, booze laden first 36 years.
Dec 21, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book doesn't really go into the therapy. Rather, it provides several examples of how horses can mirror what someone is feeling, which provides the person insight. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be.
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a great book about accepting responsibility for your own life. He's straightforward and no nonsense! Ny friend met him and did his Equine Experience and said it was one of the best experiences of her life.
Oct 21, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of my experience at Miraval, but wish this book had delved a bit deeper into Wyatt's work. It was more about his experiences growing up and how he came to start working with horses, so it was more autobiographical in nature.
Jun 22, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Pretty good self help book. Mostly stories and some Bio. If you are a horse person, you might enjoy. He went through alot and still gives only a little detail. I did take away some good things from this book.
Dec 08, 2011 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this a very helpful book...a book giving me some personal growth and perspective of my own inner being. It brought me healing.
Lisa Davis
Oct 06, 2012 Lisa Davis rated it it was amazing
If you want to follow a path of personal growth, this book will have some tools for your toolbox.It may not be the book everyone needs but it certainly was the one I needed.
Kinda repetitive and poorly written, (and the typos in the Kindle edition! Shocking) but still an interesting story about the healing powers of man vs horse. A fast read, and it was worth my time.
Jun 12, 2011 Patresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Informative and entertaining exploration of therapeutic relationships between humans and horses. Wyatt Webb is a different kind of crusty cowboy. Refeshing.
Apr 12, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I meet and participated in one of his programs at Miraval retreat center in Arizona. It was a fabulous experience!! The book is interesting and a fairly quick read.
Oct 12, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I work with the author of this book and teach the tenets of this book on a daily basis and I think it is a straightforward, no BS guide to decreasing stress and increasing joy in anyone's life.
Carla Myers
Carla Myers rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Nancy Majerek
Nancy Majerek rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
Letecia Layson
Had some pearls of wisdom.
MDM rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2012
Kristi rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Sarah Warkentin
Sarah Warkentin rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Margot rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2010
Cindy rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Leah Yeomans
Leah Yeomans rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Kate Park
Kate Park rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Annemarie Lewis
Annemarie Lewis rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Just starting 1 2 May 23, 2008 09:17AM
  • Horses Don't Lie: What Horses Teach Us About Our Natural Capacity for Awareness, Confidence, Courage, and Trust
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • Dancing with Horses: The Art of Body Language
  • Natural Horse-Man-Ship: Six Keys to a Natural Horse-Human Relationship
  • Hope in Front of Me: Find Purpose in Your Darkest Moments
  • Working with the Law: 11 Truth Principles for Successful Living
  • FORTUNE The Greatest Business Decisions of All Time: How Apple, Ford, IBM, Zappos, and others made radical choices that changed the course of business.
  • Unstoppable: 45 Powerful Stories of Perseverance and Triumph from People Just Like You
  • Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
  • No B.S. Ruthless Management of People and Profits: No Holds Barred, Kick Butt, Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Really Getting Rich
  • What Happy Women Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Change Women's Lives for the Better
  • The Art of Persuasion: Winning Without Intimidation
  • The Miracle of Water
  • The Top 10 Distinctions Between Millionaires and the Middle Class
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • You 2: A High Velocity Formula for Multiplying Your Personal Effectiveness in Quantum Leaps
  • The Success System That Never Fails
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse

“Whether or not you get what you're looknig for depends entirely on one things and one thing only. It depends on your willingness to do something different.” 4 likes