Start by marking “Light the Fire” as Want to Read:

Light the Fire

A choice, a tragedy, and life-altering consequences…

When Rena Dunigan flees New York City and her dream of becoming a Broadway performer, she returns to her hometown harboring a life-altering secret and the shame of a shattered past. When her friend talks her into helping build a house through the local Shelter the Homeless program, Rena meets Cody and his mischievous Sain
ebook
Published by White Rose Publishing (first published March 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Light the Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light the Fire

LynnMarie
Apr 27, 2011 LynnMarie rated it it was amazing
Clare's Review

Rena and Cody are both trying to put the tragedies in their past behind them. It’s not as easy as it seems. Brought together by friends, a construction project, bunch of kids and a slobbery dog called Sammy, they find they both have to learn to trust and let go of the shadows of the past before they can move on. This is another gripping tale from Mary Manners. The characters bring the story right off the page, lingering after the last page is turned. With smiles, laughs and even t
Shannon
May 09, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Another delightful read from Mary with lots to keep one reading. Rena, one of the main characters has returned form New York, and we learn bits and pieces of the why’s as we continue the story. She has issues, as we all do, and is struggling big time with them.
Then there is Cody, whom we know very little of except for the fact that he is Kyle‘s best friend and now bestman as the wedding approaches. And then there is Kelsie, best friend of Rena, also involved in the wedding, but they have never
Shelley
“Light the Fire” was my first experience with the author, Mary Manners.

Here's a description of the book:

“A choice, a tragedy, and life-altering consequences.

When her friend talks her into helping build a house through the local Shelter the Homeless program, Rena meets Cody Jamison and his mischievous Saint Bernard,
Charity
Jun 08, 2014 Charity rated it it was amazing
I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I received two book in the mail to review from Mary Manners. I had never read any of her books and sometimes you tend to be a little wary of opening a new one. You might fall in love with the book or you might just end up disliking it. Boy am I glad I took a chance on this one!! I found not only a delightful book but a new author I will be looking for in the future:)

Light the Fire is about Rena, a woman who has been abused in the past and has a distrust
Brittany
Aug 12, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Light the Fire is the second book that I have read by Mary Manners and it was oh so good! This contemporary fiction novel deals with some deep hurts, trust issues and guilt burdens that would make you think it would be a very heavy and dark book. But that is just not the case. The author has done a fantastic job of writing characters that I just couldn’t help but love and she weaves in lighthearted moments that balance out the heavy ones.

Rena is the main female character in Light the Fire. This
Donna Mcginnis
May 03, 2014 Donna Mcginnis rated it it was amazing
After reading Buried Treasures and now Light The Fire, I have found another great author. Mary Manners writes a great story of struggles that everyday people might go through. A story of guilt, tragedy, distrust, romance and forgiveness. Her characters are well written. Once I started reading this book it was hard to put down.
Wanting a different life, Rena has left her hometown, without her parents consent, for New York City. Having made some bad decisions she is suffering the consequences of he
Nancee
Jun 20, 2014 Nancee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nancee by: quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net
Both main characters in this poignant novel are tormented by pain and loss. Having built walls to protect their fractured lives, both Rena and Cody shy away from any form of commitment. Shame, guilt, fear and loss follow Rena. Cody is broken by loss. Rena's broken family ties and the anguish from former tragedies haunt her. Cody's devotion and involvement with his family and his faith are what keep him putting one foot in front of the other.

In this poignant novel Mary Manners has created two sha
Marilyn Johnson
Mar 31, 2014 Marilyn Johnson rated it it was amazing
Rena has made some bad decisions in her past and those decisions have left her with consequences she is not sure she will ever overcome. Can she forgive those who let her down, and can she forgive herself? Can she ever trust men again? Does God really forgive everyone of everything? Thanks to some good friends and a handsome man there a chance at love among the ashes.

Cody has been through some tough losses and has closed his heart. Yet once he meets Rena and God starts working on his heart is th
Cheri Swalwell
Apr 09, 2014 Cheri Swalwell rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Light the Fire by Mary Manners. After reading and loving Buried Treasure, I was ready for another great book and she certainly delivered. Ms. Manners has a gift of creating in-depth characters very different from each other but yet with the appeal to draw me in as a reader each and every time. Her books deal with heavier topics which I appreciate as I love to read as an escape but also enjoy substance with my stories. They are real-life situations told in a way that ...more
Kimberly
Jul 17, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Light the Fire is the kind of book that readers have difficulties putting down once they begin reading. The characters are complex and the incidences in the book are down-to-earth.

Even though this sounds similar to other books of this genre there is a difference. God is interspersed throughout to help the characters develop. He also is there through the resolution of problems that are encounters.

Mary Manners is an excellent writer and I plan on reading more of her books now.

I was given this b
Crystal Scott
Jul 20, 2014 Crystal Scott rated it it was amazing
By Mary Manners

Rena Dunigan leaves New York City to return to her hometown, carrying a life-altering secret. Cody Jamison is dealing with devastating loss of his own. Kelsie, Rena’s best friend, talks Rena into helping them build a house that will be used for the homeless. While building this house, she meets Cody and they become friends. Cody likes Rena and Rena feels the same about Cody, but will her secrets keep her from loving anyone? Will Cody be able to help Rena trust and lo
Diana Montgomery
May 02, 2014 Diana Montgomery rated it it was amazing
By: Mary Manners

Rena Dunigan leaves her home town for the big city New York. Always had a dream of becoming a singer. Against her mother telling her it would not be of best interest to do so. Things are not good at all. Serious things happen to her to change her life. Rena wants nothing to do with men. There is no room in her life for a man and having to be able to trust one again. Then pops Cody into her life. She can't let him get close she can't share her awful past life with hi
Joan
May 06, 2014 Joan rated it it was amazing
This is a good short romance novel. Rena and Cody both have issues from the past. Rena is sure that if she is honest with Cody he will reject her. There is much on the novel about guilt we place on ourselves, even when the situation was beyond our control. Cody is a godly and very patient man, willing to draw Rena out. There is much about God's grace and restoration in the story. A very good read.
See my full review at http://bit.ly/1in7XVE.
I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel th
Cathy
Jun 09, 2014 Cathy rated it it was amazing
This was a great story of how we see God forgiving us but don't think others will forgive us and how to forgive yourself.

Rena has a past that she doesn't talk about to anyone but her best friend Kelsie. As she becomes more attracted to Cody she must tell him the truth about her past.
As the story develops things happen that make Rena face her fear and tell Cody about her past.

Mary Manners the author has found a new fan with this book. I really enjoyed this book. I will definitely tell others abou
Marianne Evans
Sep 24, 2011 Marianne Evans rated it it was amazing
I'm such a fan of stories that feature a message of redemption and rising above the ashes of our mistakes. After all, God's forgiveness works that way. :- We sometimes need others, though, to walk into our lives and show us how far we've grown--whether we believe it or not. In this book, doorways to the future open--not without struggle, but always with hope. Light the Fire captures all these issues and weaves them together beautifully. Enjoy this wonderful book!
Anita
Apr 11, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing
Both Rena and Cody have tragedies in their lives. Can they possibly find forgiveness and peace? Mary Manners has written a wonderful story about the power of God’s forgiveness and the peace he sends to the broken hearted. I loved this book. The characters are well-developed and the story is one that could happen to anyone. Very highly recommended!

I received this book from bookfun.org for my honest opinion.
Chris
May 11, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
Rena and Cody both need to heal, they both need to open up
Enjoy their story and enjoy Gods love for both of them.
Also thoroughly enjoy Sammy the cute mischief maker of a St Bernard Dog
Read this book Its a great one
Heather
May 01, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
A bit more dramatic than I like - too many convenient coincidences. But it was well-written, the characters were likeable, and the happy ending is believable.
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
Heather Allen
Heather Allen rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Trisha Ontiveros
Trisha Ontiveros rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2011
LoRee Peery
LoRee Peery rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Robin Bayne
Robin Bayne rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2011
Koreen Harry
Koreen Harry rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Janet Marie Dowell
Janet Marie Dowell rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Pelican Book Group
Pelican Book Group rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2011
Dora Hiers
Dora Hiers marked it as to-read
May 07, 2011
Mary
Jul 18, 2011 Mary added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Ludija
Ludija marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2012
Oksana
Oksana marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2012
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
SkCgs
SkCgs marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Tera
Tera marked it as to-read
May 02, 2013
Bobbi
Bobbi marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Laura Potter
Laura Potter marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Mary Manners is an award-winning romance writer who lives in the beautiful foothills of East Tennessee with her husband Tim and the cherished cats they've rescued from local animal shelters...Lucky and Gus.

Mary’s debut novel, Mended Heart, was nominated Best Inspirational Romance and was finalist for the Bookseller’s Best Award and her follow-up, Tender Mercies, was awarded an outstanding 4 star
More about Mary Manners...