Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters

Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Do you believe in ghosts? Whether you are a believer or a skeptic, the stories of the supernatural in Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters will keep you riveted.

Macabre and fascinating, Ghosts Among Us offers true-life, haunting accounts of eerie visitations and paranormal experiences along with artistically shot black-and-white photographs of haunted sites....more
Published August 1st 2004 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHell House by Richard MathesonHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiManchester House by Donald Allen Kirch
Haunted Houses
65th out of 189 books — 249 voters
Midnight Poems by Amanda SpringerInvestigating the Paranormal by Amanda SpringerAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeThe Woman in Black by Susan HillGhost Story by Jim Butcher
Ghost in the Title or Featuring in the Book
72nd out of 75 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Dee
Aug 25, 2012 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ghost hunters, those who seek the truth, and those with an open mind for phenomenon.
Phenomenal. Her brilliant writing takes you back so vividly to the location where these known encounters occurred. Ms. Rule's descriptions, along with past and present references have you enthralled from beginning to end.
Ginny
I expected a book of ghost stories tied to specific venues. This was more of a guide book or advertisement for various hotels, restaurants and B & Bs who claim to have ghosts. Very few examples of actual sightings.
John Swiech
Ghosts among us by Leslie Rule, in her quest to uncover explanations from each incident she interviews witnesses from people that were at these places. This was an interesting book because It told typical ghost stories in the northern United States. It didn’t get much into detail witch was good but I personally thought it was all right book. It felt like the author was listing the details and not going into them enough. Some of the stories in this book were good but some of them weren’t that int...more
destiney sunshine
Lame! Not exactly a book of ghost stories so much as it is just sightings with a list of places to go sightseeing! Ugh, makes it feel like the places mentioned paid her to be put in her book to boost tourist numbers :-/ I was hoping more for back stories of the fore mentioned ghosts instead I got, "a boy/girl who may have died in/or around these parts...maybe". Seems like tales an elementary student would read, Goosebumps seemed more legit than this.
Sabah
Very interesting!
Thanks to this book, I've found a couple of new haunted places and learnt a bit more about the haunted sites in my hometown.
With the names and locations of each place listed after each story, it's makes it easy to plan the next "romantic getaway" with the hubby to check out these places and (hopefully) experience something for myself. :)
Breane Hoffman
I would recommend this to people who enjoy ghost stories. I really don't think I should be the one to judge this because I ghost stories/books are not my favorite. From my opinion it was am ok book the things that I didn't like is the section about the murders at the end of the book. That is not what I am into. I thought it was a good at following up on the reported paranormal activity, for example there was a haunted mirror and the author put at the end of that story that the new owner has not...more
Blaire
very poorly written.
Elizabeth Robinson
This book was wonderfully different than most books I've read based on this subject. Leslie Rule just has the ability to make the reader fell the places she mentions as if they've been there before. I can honestly say I got spooked when reading this book on more than one occasion.
Thomas M.  Burby
This was an average ghost book about real-life ghosts in the northwest United States. If I lived in that area, I think I would have found it more interesting. Instead, it felt more like a travel book and less like a ghost story book.Sometimes it felt like the author was listing without going into too much detail. It get's three stars for some creepy moments and the author's style was very readable. It was light and comfortable reading.
Sharonbrown3158
This was a typical ghost story collection. A quick collection of various "encounters" that we have all heard before-but the last chapter about ghosts and associations with serial killers was new to me and interesting, too.
TeraD
Another book rehashing ghost stories across the U.S. A lot that are commonly told, but I enjoyed the focus on Washington as that is where I reside and where Leslie Rule (and her mom, Ann Rule) are from, as well.
Katie Pickett
This is an interesting book of ghost stories that is not a scary campfire kind of book. It's good, not a "investigation" book, but it is a good documentation of what others perceive and paranormal activity.
Haylee
Not too bad. I like ghost stories and these ones were pretty good once again with her books I think she reads too much into the stories she tells but most weren't too bad at all.
Kim
Loved it! Definite recommendation to anyone interested in the paranormal and the "unknown". I also think anyone curious about the genre would enjoy reading this awesome writer's work! :)
Angela Hughes
Another good real from Leslie Rule. A great way to spend a rainy day afternoon, all alone in the house with no noise in the background except perhaps the crackling of a dieing fire. Enjoy.
Jewel
I have been skipping around in the book based on the locations she researched and love what she has found out so far. Haunted Amusements Parks was my favorite part of the book so far!
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I really enjoyed reading this! I thought it was also cool that she told a couple of stories about well known murder cases where there is beleived to be hauntings.
Love, Heart
Oct 05, 2008 Love, Heart rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
My ghost story is in this book... :) There's a photo of my daughters and myself in this book! The author Leslie Rule is truly amazing! I love her to bits!
Jamie Brooks
Good collection of stories. There were multiple sections to this book dealing with different kinds of "ghost stories", which helped keep it interesting.
Gina
I too expected more than a guide book from this, but it was still a fun read and gave me ideas of places to visit--for the fun of it.
John
Aug 03, 2011 John added it
Mixture of fact and a lot of drama when I was looking for more fact. Some interesting stories in there however.
Kristin
good book. a lot like Coast to Coast Ghosts. But it was good. I think I read it in 2 days.
Jen Tregaskis
Yahooo!! The Pufferbelly made it in!!!! Doesn't change the fact that the book is still ridiculous.
Sophie
I loved it, more so towards the end when she wrote about Frank Bender & the victims.
Mary Fabry
Great book I have a couple of other books from her can't wait to read them too :)
Laurel
A little creapier than Coast to Coast Ghosts so far, but I am liking it.
Morrigan
Not the greatest book, it was a distraction and had some interesting stories.
A. Greck
AMAZING stories in this book i highly recommend it to horror story readers
Chelsea
This book was very good. I loved reading all the scary stories.
Cassie
The stories are very interesting but the writing style is amateur.
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond
  • Historic Haunted America
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • Seeking Spirits: The Lost Cases of The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
  • Haunted Heartland
  • The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side
Leslie Rule is the best-selling author of two suspense novels and four nonfiction books on ghosts. She has also published dozens of articles in national magazines, including a November, 2005 article on ghosts and murder in READER'S DIGEST.

Leslie grew up in a family of writers in a creaky old house on a windy cliff which overlooked Puget Sound. "My mother (author Ann Rule) made it no secret that o...more
More about Leslie Rule...
Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters Whispers from the Grave Kill Me Again