Start by marking “Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)” as Want to Read:
Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)

Double Dead (Double Dead #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  977 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Coburn’s been dead now for close to a century, but seeing as how he’s a vampire and all, it doesn't much bother him. Or at least it didn't, not until he awoke from a forced five-year slumber to discover that most of human civilization was now dead-but not dead like him, oh no.

See, Coburn likes blood. The rest of the walking dead, they like brains. He’s smart. Them, not so
Published November 15th 2011 by Abaddon (first published November 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Double Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Dead

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
321st out of 1,058 books — 2,616 voters
Hollowland by Amanda HockingThe Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie RyanEnclave by Ann AguirreTagged by Joseph M. ChironAlice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
Awesome Zombie Books For Girls/Women
120th out of 326 books — 542 voters

More lists with this book...

Brad
Jun 17, 2016 Brad rated it it was amazing
Serious fun stuff. I can't believe this is his first novel, and the first one I've read. It certainly isn't going to by my last. :) I love the concept. Vampire MC in a zombie wasteland. SO TOTALLY COOL.

And yes, there's a full-blown tribute to either the comic for The Walking Dead or the TV series. Soo many great scenes, all made with just enough difference to be all Wendig, but with a very classy evil humor that's all Wendig, too. :)

So I fell into this novel having a grand ole time and it never
Justine
Jun 04, 2016 Justine rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016

Coburn had seen lots of bad shit. He'd been the engineer of most of it. He'd seen blood and horror aplenty and it didn't mean squat. To him, the human population of the world comprised nothing but meat-puppets and blood-bags: people to manipulate and motherfuckers to eat. And that was that and never would it be different. Or so he thought.

Coburn is a vampire who arises from a long period of dry out due to lack of blood to find that while he was incapacitated, the zombie apocalypse has
Emma
Jul 02, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was a fun read. This is a surprise to me as, although a fan of grimdark, there were some really gruesome description in here and there was so much swearing. But it worked. It more than worked...Wendig can write! Fast paced, exciting, an original take on the apocalypse.
Mr. Matt
Oct 08, 2014 Mr. Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia, horror, 2013, zombies
I picked up Double Dead with great expectations. I was very impressed with the Miriam Black stories. The premise of this book was hard to beat. A vampire wakes up from a multi-year slumber only to find that the world he had known was consumed by the zombie apocalypse – and he can’t feed off of the shambling corpses. Now, he must go from hunter to shepherd in order to preserve his own food supply. Awesome, right?

The problem with Double Dead is not the premise. Just looking at this book in terms o
Chelsea
This was my favorite book of the year. Starring a deliciously misanthropic vampire, a rat terrier, and a pack of zombie apocalypse survivors packed into a Winnebago, this tale sells itself as full-on pulp. It's replete with zombies, guns, cannibals, Walmart... A real freakshow-cross section of society. It brims with humor, explosions, guns, and a touch of the supernatural that really pulls it together.

However, the tale has a surprising sensitivity, which leaves you wondering about what it means
Amanda
Jun 03, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
Jan 27, 2012 Kristin (MyBookishWays Reviews) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, kindle
You may also read my review here:http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/01/...

So, you’re a dessicated vampire (that’s gone without blood for years, and has been in a kind of stasis) that comes to in the middle of an abandoned theatre with zombies nomming on, well, everything living. What do you do? You need to get blood, right? Our vamp, Coburn, attempts to do just that, but when he bites into one of the zombies, he quickly realizes that zombie blood is bad for his health. Well then, it’s time to fin
Ren Thompson
Dec 02, 2011 Ren Thompson rated it it was amazing
Lately I’ve been on this zombie kick.

I’ve pulled out my old Romero flicks (if you even have to ask, leave now and go to the next blog), I got hooked on The Walking Dead series on AMC (an extremely smart move on their part, by the way) and have recently discovered zombie fiction.

Chuck Wendig has decided to take it a step further by putting a frigging Vampire in the mix.

Yeah.

I know.

The vampire’s name is Coburn. Our “hero” is an asshole and, to put it bluntly, he refuses to apologize for it. Can I
Romina Nicolaides
Oct 01, 2015 Romina Nicolaides rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
The premise of this book is so cool that after reading it any Fantasy Author will say “Why didn’t I think of that?!” Or maybe it’s just me.

Coburn the Vampire wakes up post apocalypse in a world overrun by zombies. To a hungry Vampire, humans have gone from a fast food level of availability to foraging in the desert in July levels. They are very hard to come by and when he does find them he has to fight the zombies for them. If that isn’t an awesome concept, I don’t know what is.

In order to survi
sj
Jan 11, 2013 sj rated it really liked it
Originally posted here.

Remember when I said last year that @KateSherrod had needed multiple showers after reading Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black books? That was NOTHING compared to the showers, brain bleach and other necessary mental hygiene adjustments one will need after reading Wendig's zombie+vampire+zombie vampire novel Double Dead.

I am not kidding at all, this book is GROSS. But still somehow charming? Seriously, this was how I read this book - "HAHAHAHAHAHA! Ew. Seriously, ew. But still. HAH
Mrs. Badass
Feb 13, 2012 Mrs. Badass rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I follow Chuck's blog, and find his humor on par with my own. Or is that my humor is on par with his? I think he's older, so let's go with that.
I found Double Dead to be interesting and different. Some parts were funny, some were gory and others had me cringing. I suspected a few things, but was also surprised at how the book ended.

Coburn, is a vampire who wakes up, buried, with no idea how he got that way. He rises up and finds himself in the middle of a zombie apoca
Carl Bussler
Feb 14, 2013 Carl Bussler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense-horror
I love stories about redemption, forgiveness, and guilt. Double Dead delivers. This story has a vulgar, brutal, hard-candy coating. I found it difficult to like the protagonist in the beginning. Coburn the vampire is really quite despicable. He's crass. Violent. Selfish. Rude. But it wasn't long before I was in his corner cheering him on.

This is what makes the journey so enjoyable. His personal transformation from hunter to shepherd.

Immediately after finishing Double Dead, I fired-up Amazon and
Jax Garren
May 21, 2015 Jax Garren rated it it was amazing
I read this book because (a) I adore Chuck Wendig's irreverent yet thoughtful blog Terrible Minds and (b) vampire/zombie pulp horror, yes please.

Wow. Just...wow. This book is disgusting. And hilarious. It's like a Quentin Tarantino movie in book form with a vital difference: I like Wendig's characters. Though I admire Tarantino's skill, creativity, and vision, I don't enjoy his movies because his characters are pretty much soulless. (Yes, I've seen Kill Bill. No, it didn't change my mind.) Chuc
Kelly
Jan 02, 2016 Kelly rated it did not like it
I wanted to love this book. I really, really did. The premise alone set up such expectations in my mind. Let's think about this: A vampire wakes up from a long sleep and find the zombie apocalypse in full swing. He can't live on zombies - their blood does nothing for him. Animals help but not enough to sustain him. He needs humans - which are rare.

This could have been so right. Vampire having to win the trust of a band of humans and help them survive while convincing them to allow him to feed so
Amanda
Jul 16, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's certainly a new spin on the Zombie Apocalypse. What would happen if you were a vampire, and you woke up to find most of your food source is walking around all pussy and rotten and, well, inedible? If you're Coburn, you turn shepherd, protecting your food source to ensure your survival.

Now, let's not think this is altruism. Coburn is a total asshole. Cocky, smug, cheerfully violent - this vampire does not sparkle, or swoon, he bites holes in you and drinks your blood. He's Spike, before spik
Christina
Apr 23, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Chuck Wendig really hit the ground running. As far as skill goes, it really doesn't feel too much farther than his Miriam Black books (the two I've read anyway). I do have a couple issues with his writing, particular to this story. One is that he definitely depends on character archetypes to outline his characters, and it gets a little boring seeing everyone perfectly live up to the expectations of that stereotype. The other is that he tends to make narrative choices that feel really unsatisfyin ...more
Trevor Green
Mar 23, 2012 Trevor Green rated it it was amazing
First off, I'm gonna tell you all that Double Dead is not for the faint of heart. If you suffer from a severely overactive gag reflex, heart murmurs, are a nun, or you're just straight up noodle-necked (not a real thing), stay well back. If you don't fall into those categories, pick up the dang book. I give Double Dead 5 solid stars, and it deserves it.

I've been a long time follower of everything Chuck Wendig. I guess I may even be considered a Wendigoth (a term for Wendig fans, coined by anothe
Tony
Nov 17, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it
I like the writing of Chuck Wendig. I regularly read his blog and have read all of his writing advice and short stories that I have been able to buy. So I pretty much knew what this book was going to be like. Or at least I thought I did. Some people do not like the amount of profanity contained in Mr Wendig’s work and surprisingly for a zombie apocalypse novel where everything goes totally to pot there is a lot less of that kind of language than I’d expected. Don’t get me wrong this is no YA flu ...more
Josh
Feb 17, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
Probably between 3 and 4, but I'm rounding up because why not be generous?

I was taken by the concept here immediately. What does a vampire do in the zombie apocalypse? It's such an easy concept, and a good genre mash-up, but it was fresh enough that I hadn't seen it before and Wendig shows from the outset that he's going to have some fun with it, without making fun of it.

The first half to two-thirds of the book it all seems to be tracking along fairly well, a straight-line narrative but well tol
Dan
Jan 10, 2012 Dan rated it liked it
This book is pulp.

I mean, it has to be, right? It's a vampire fighting zombies. That's... about as pulpy as you can get.

I'm a big fan of Chuck Wendig, and his first novel didn't disappoint. It's not high literature, but it's entertaining as hell. I wasn't able to read as much as I'd like for the first half of the book or so, but once my schedule cleared up the pages flew by.

I do have one qualm, which is that the entire first paragraph goes by without the word "fuck." I've got certain expectation
Brian Steele
Jan 24, 2013 Brian Steele rated it really liked it
A terribly fun book, if you like your fun bloody. With a basic premise that a Vampire wakes up sometime after the Zombie Apocalypse has occurred and realizes that he has to protect his food source from the shambling undead, things go off in a bizarre tangent from there. The hysterical word-play by Wendig is countered perfectly with his scenes of high-level gore.

Our main protagonist, Coburn, is the very definition of "misanthropic," prone to inappropriate comments and bursts of ultra-violence for
Suzy (ereaderuser)
Jul 11, 2012 Suzy (ereaderuser) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
If you want to read a book with pretty sparkling vampires, well don't read this. But if you want some good horror badassary with a vampire who is not a nice guy, then this is the book for you. Throw in a bunch of varied and interesting characters, a rat terrior, tons of action, and a world filled with zombies and you've got one heck of a good story.

Another bonus... the author's writing style is so sarcastic, clever and fun. He had me rooting for the "monster" vampire. You could catch little glim
Bisquit
Apr 05, 2016 Bisquit rated it liked it
Random. This book - awesome as it was with the premise and nevermind how much I liked Katya and the Vamp - is not one I'd recommend to people who aren't into imperfect main characters and zombies. If you like them, go ahead and read this, but be aware, this book has flaws.

While it is well-thought-out mostly, there are a lot of parts that are illogical, lack explaining, or are deus ex machina. Lots of times our Vamp escaping was really ex machina - I can only refer to the one time he survived bec
Mitch Davis
Dec 29, 2011 Mitch Davis rated it it was amazing
I loved every single bone-crunching moment of this book. The idea - a vampire wakes up in the midst of the zombie apocalypse and is forced to turn from predator to protector - is executed excellently.

With a wide cast of whores, cannibals, rednecks and drug addled clowns, Wendig keeps the batshit-insane levels at a euphoric high on his adventure from the East to West coast of America.

When you flip your middle finger off at the world, remember that the world might just cut it off.
Krycek
Nov 29, 2011 Krycek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, horror
Tracy
Feb 20, 2014 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, vampires, zombies
More like 3.5 stars.

Generally speaking, I am over vampires, and I don't care for the zombie trend, so this title already has a double whammy against it, except I like reading Chuck Wendig, which is the main thing going for it.

A zombie apocalypse happens, and it's the end of civilization as everyone knows it. A vampire, Coburn, who has been kind of hibernating awakens to this changed world. He can't really feed on zombies (meat is too rotten, double dead--double meanings there for the title), so
Vannessa Rodriguez
Feb 27, 2016 Vannessa Rodriguez rated it really liked it
It took me reading about half of the book before I actually gave a shit about any of the characters--to include the cancer ridden teenage girl. Once things started to pick up and I started rooting for Coburn and his herd, the book transformed into a novel that was unputdownable. With that being said, the first half of the book is slow (as far as post-zombie-apocalypses are concerned). Having read other books written by Wendig, I knew that I'd be seeing my fare share of "fucks" and other expletiv ...more
Mandie Kok
Sep 07, 2014 Mandie Kok rated it it was amazing
Before you read a story about how a vampire might fare during the zombie apocalypse, you might want to ask yourself, "do I automatically roll my eyes when I hear the words 'vampire', 'zombie' and 'apocalypse'?" If so, move along and go read something else. If, however, those three words make you yell "hell yeah!", read on my friend.

Coburn is a vampire turning soft in a world that doesn't treat soft things kindly. He keeps a little rescued rat terrier with him, telling himself that the dog is an
Eric Asher
May 11, 2012 Eric Asher rated it really liked it
A fun roller coaster testing the upper limits of profanity and gore. My gore limits anyway, which I didn't think I had, but apparently I do, lol. Good read, there are only a few highs for the characters throughout the story, but the lows in this book are so horrifically low you can't stop reading because that "just can't be happening". I'll definitely follow Coburn into the next story.
Shedrick Pittman-Hassett
Jan 10, 2014 Shedrick Pittman-Hassett rated it really liked it
From my blog: http://serialdistractions.com

Coburn, a self-centered sonofabitch of a vampire, wakes from a five-year dirt-nap to find that the zombie apocalypse has struck. This poses a distinct food-supply problem for the bloodsucker, as zombie fluids simply won’t cut it and sources of real human blood are scarce. That means that the predator has to become a shepherd of a herd of humans that can sustain him. Soon, he and his herd are heading west along the old Route 66, fighting their way throug
  • Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)
  • City of the Lost
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Dead Surge (White Flag of the Dead, #5)
  • Green Flame Assassin (Demon Lord, #2)
  • Rise
  • Ship of the Dead (Omega Days, #2)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Flu (Flu, #1)
  • State of Decay: Omnibus
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • This Dark Earth
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • I Travel by Night
  • Dead Things
  • Time of Death: Induction (Time of Death, #1)
  • A Taste of You
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
More about Chuck Wendig...

“What...what are you?" she asked.
"I'm Batman.”
3 likes
“He wasn't supposed to feel this way. He didn't even want to feel the way he did for the dog, for Creampuff--
Goddamnit
Goddamnit
"Goddamnit!" he snarled. Ginger blinked. Incredulous he explained: "They took my dog, Ginger. They stole my terrier." He popped each of his knuckles. "They didn't just abandon me after I got them through, after I kept them alive. They rubbed salt on my wound while they pissed in my eyes. I can't believe they stole my dog."
Coburn grabbed the kid by his all too-clean shirt and shook him like a baby. "Listen. You're going to drive me to go get Creampuff, my terrier...”
3 likes