Start by marking “Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)” as Want to Read:
Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)

Double Dead (Double Dead #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  887 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Coburn’s been dead now for close to a century, but seeing as how he’s a vampire and all, it doesn't much bother him. Or at least it didn't, not until he awoke from a forced five-year slumber to discover that most of human civilization was now dead-but not dead like him, oh no.

See, Coburn likes blood. The rest of the walking dead, they like brains. He’s smart. Them, not so
Published November 15th 2011 by Abaddon (first published November 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Double Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Dead

Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsStorm Front by Jim ButcherDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Urban Fantasy SERIES
210th out of 392 books — 2,134 voters
Hollowland by Amanda HockingThe Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie RyanTagged by Joseph M. ChironEnclave by Ann AguirreWarm Bodies by Isaac Marion
Awesome Zombie Books For Girls/Women
113th out of 291 books — 480 voters

More lists with this book...

Mr. Matt
I picked up Double Dead with great expectations. I was very impressed with the Miriam Black stories. The premise of this book was hard to beat. A vampire wakes up from a multi-year slumber only to find that the world he had known was consumed by the zombie apocalypse – and he can’t feed off of the shambling corpses. Now, he must go from hunter to shepherd in order to preserve his own food supply. Awesome, right?

The problem with Double Dead is not the premise. Just looking at this book in terms o
This was my favorite book of the year. Starring a deliciously misanthropic vampire, a rat terrier, and a pack of zombie apocalypse survivors packed into a Winnebago, this tale sells itself as full-on pulp. It's replete with zombies, guns, cannibals, Walmart... A real freakshow-cross section of society. It brims with humor, explosions, guns, and a touch of the supernatural that really pulls it together.

However, the tale has a surprising sensitivity, which leaves you wondering about what it means
Ren Thompson
Lately I’ve been on this zombie kick.

I’ve pulled out my old Romero flicks (if you even have to ask, leave now and go to the next blog), I got hooked on The Walking Dead series on AMC (an extremely smart move on their part, by the way) and have recently discovered zombie fiction.

Chuck Wendig has decided to take it a step further by putting a frigging Vampire in the mix.

I know.

The vampire’s name is Coburn. Our “hero” is an asshole and, to put it bluntly, he refuses to apologize for it. Can I
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here:

So, you’re a dessicated vampire (that’s gone without blood for years, and has been in a kind of stasis) that comes to in the middle of an abandoned theatre with zombies nomming on, well, everything living. What do you do? You need to get blood, right? Our vamp, Coburn, attempts to do just that, but when he bites into one of the zombies, he quickly realizes that zombie blood is bad for his health. Well then, it’s time to fin
Romina Nicolaides
The premise of this book is so cool that after reading it any Fantasy Author will say “Why didn’t I think of that?!” Or maybe it’s just me.

Coburn the Vampire wakes up post apocalypse in a world overrun by zombies. To a hungry Vampire, humans have gone from a fast food level of availability to foraging in the desert in July levels. They are very hard to come by and when he does find them he has to fight the zombies for them. If that isn’t an awesome concept, I don’t know what is.

In order to survi
Mrs. Badass
I bought this book because I follow Chuck's blog, and find his humor on par with my own. Or is that my humor is on par with his? I think he's older, so let's go with that.
I found Double Dead to be interesting and different. Some parts were funny, some were gory and others had me cringing. I suspected a few things, but was also surprised at how the book ended.

Coburn, is a vampire who wakes up, buried, with no idea how he got that way. He rises up and finds himself in the middle of a zombie apoca
Carl Bussler
I love stories about redemption, forgiveness, and guilt. Double Dead delivers. This story has a vulgar, brutal, hard-candy coating. I found it difficult to like the protagonist in the beginning. Coburn the vampire is really quite despicable. He's crass. Violent. Selfish. Rude. But it wasn't long before I was in his corner cheering him on.

This is what makes the journey so enjoyable. His personal transformation from hunter to shepherd.

Immediately after finishing Double Dead, I fired-up Amazon and
Jax Garren
I read this book because (a) I adore Chuck Wendig's irreverent yet thoughtful blog Terrible Minds and (b) vampire/zombie pulp horror, yes please.

Wow. This book is disgusting. And hilarious. It's like a Quentin Tarantino movie in book form with a vital difference: I like Wendig's characters. Though I admire Tarantino's skill, creativity, and vision, I don't enjoy his movies because his characters are pretty much soulless. (Yes, I've seen Kill Bill. No, it didn't change my mind.) Chuc
Chuck Wendig really hit the ground running. As far as skill goes, it really doesn't feel too much farther than his Miriam Black books (the two I've read anyway). I do have a couple issues with his writing, particular to this story. One is that he definitely depends on character archetypes to outline his characters, and it gets a little boring seeing everyone perfectly live up to the expectations of that stereotype. The other is that he tends to make narrative choices that feel really unsatisfyin ...more
Amanda  Cooper
It's certainly a new spin on the Zombie Apocalypse. What would happen if you were a vampire, and you woke up to find most of your food source is walking around all pussy and rotten and, well, inedible? If you're Coburn, you turn shepherd, protecting your food source to ensure your survival.

Now, let's not think this is altruism. Coburn is a total asshole. Cocky, smug, cheerfully violent - this vampire does not sparkle, or swoon, he bites holes in you and drinks your blood. He's Spike, before spik
Trevor Green
First off, I'm gonna tell you all that Double Dead is not for the faint of heart. If you suffer from a severely overactive gag reflex, heart murmurs, are a nun, or you're just straight up noodle-necked (not a real thing), stay well back. If you don't fall into those categories, pick up the dang book. I give Double Dead 5 solid stars, and it deserves it.

I've been a long time follower of everything Chuck Wendig. I guess I may even be considered a Wendigoth (a term for Wendig fans, coined by anothe
I like the writing of Chuck Wendig. I regularly read his blog and have read all of his writing advice and short stories that I have been able to buy. So I pretty much knew what this book was going to be like. Or at least I thought I did. Some people do not like the amount of profanity contained in Mr Wendig’s work and surprisingly for a zombie apocalypse novel where everything goes totally to pot there is a lot less of that kind of language than I’d expected. Don’t get me wrong this is no YA flu ...more
Probably between 3 and 4, but I'm rounding up because why not be generous?

I was taken by the concept here immediately. What does a vampire do in the zombie apocalypse? It's such an easy concept, and a good genre mash-up, but it was fresh enough that I hadn't seen it before and Wendig shows from the outset that he's going to have some fun with it, without making fun of it.

The first half to two-thirds of the book it all seems to be tracking along fairly well, a straight-line narrative but well tol
This book is pulp.

I mean, it has to be, right? It's a vampire fighting zombies. That's... about as pulpy as you can get.

I'm a big fan of Chuck Wendig, and his first novel didn't disappoint. It's not high literature, but it's entertaining as hell. I wasn't able to read as much as I'd like for the first half of the book or so, but once my schedule cleared up the pages flew by.

I do have one qualm, which is that the entire first paragraph goes by without the word "fuck." I've got certain expectation
Brian Steele
A terribly fun book, if you like your fun bloody. With a basic premise that a Vampire wakes up sometime after the Zombie Apocalypse has occurred and realizes that he has to protect his food source from the shambling undead, things go off in a bizarre tangent from there. The hysterical word-play by Wendig is countered perfectly with his scenes of high-level gore.

Our main protagonist, Coburn, is the very definition of "misanthropic," prone to inappropriate comments and bursts of ultra-violence for
Suzy (ereaderuser)
If you want to read a book with pretty sparkling vampires, well don't read this. But if you want some good horror badassary with a vampire who is not a nice guy, then this is the book for you. Throw in a bunch of varied and interesting characters, a rat terrior, tons of action, and a world filled with zombies and you've got one heck of a good story.

Another bonus... the author's writing style is so sarcastic, clever and fun. He had me rooting for the "monster" vampire. You could catch little glim
Mitch Davis
I loved every single bone-crunching moment of this book. The idea - a vampire wakes up in the midst of the zombie apocalypse and is forced to turn from predator to protector - is executed excellently.

With a wide cast of whores, cannibals, rednecks and drug addled clowns, Wendig keeps the batshit-insane levels at a euphoric high on his adventure from the East to West coast of America.

When you flip your middle finger off at the world, remember that the world might just cut it off.
More like 3.5 stars.

Generally speaking, I am over vampires, and I don't care for the zombie trend, so this title already has a double whammy against it, except I like reading Chuck Wendig, which is the main thing going for it.

A zombie apocalypse happens, and it's the end of civilization as everyone knows it. A vampire, Coburn, who has been kind of hibernating awakens to this changed world. He can't really feed on zombies (meat is too rotten, double dead--double meanings there for the title), so
Mandie Kok
Before you read a story about how a vampire might fare during the zombie apocalypse, you might want to ask yourself, "do I automatically roll my eyes when I hear the words 'vampire', 'zombie' and 'apocalypse'?" If so, move along and go read something else. If, however, those three words make you yell "hell yeah!", read on my friend.

Coburn is a vampire turning soft in a world that doesn't treat soft things kindly. He keeps a little rescued rat terrier with him, telling himself that the dog is an
Eric Asher
A fun roller coaster testing the upper limits of profanity and gore. My gore limits anyway, which I didn't think I had, but apparently I do, lol. Good read, there are only a few highs for the characters throughout the story, but the lows in this book are so horrifically low you can't stop reading because that "just can't be happening". I'll definitely follow Coburn into the next story.
Shedrick Pittman-Hassett
From my blog:

Coburn, a self-centered sonofabitch of a vampire, wakes from a five-year dirt-nap to find that the zombie apocalypse has struck. This poses a distinct food-supply problem for the bloodsucker, as zombie fluids simply won’t cut it and sources of real human blood are scarce. That means that the predator has to become a shepherd of a herd of humans that can sustain him. Soon, he and his herd are heading west along the old Route 66, fighting their way throug
This was silly, verging on stupid. Seems like something a 16-year-old would write, repeatedly thinking to himself "wouldn't it be cool if {x}." If I were 16 years old, I might have agreed with him. But I'm not. And it wasn't.
Robert Williamson
What a book!

Coburn is a terrific character. This book had it all - action, suspense, smart ass comments, a vampire and zombies.

I cannot wait for the next book in the series. Another must read author for me.
This was my first Chuck Wendig book, and I must say he is twisted individual. Just my type. I loved this book. A vampire wakes up, a dried husk jolted back to life was dripping blood. He finds the world is full of zombies and his live blood supply is dwindling fast, so he has to overcome his impulse to gorge on every living human he meets, and starts to treat this one group as his personal herd, acting as their shepherd. As is typical of dystopian sagas, they encounter dangers and adventures whi ...more
Chick Wendig is like the premise king. But the wheels come off a bit at the non-ending.
Well, I wrote a review for this but Goodreads ate it.
Ryk Stanton
Man, did I want to love this book. It has the greatest premise I've heard related to zombie novels; check this -- a vampire who had gone to ground for a few years comes back to find that the world has undergone a zombie apocalypse. So he ends up having to save humans from zombies so he can survive. Cool, huh?

But ... ok, look, I am not a writer (yet) nor am I an editor or anyone related to the book biz, so I have little right to offer criticism. And Chuck Wendig is a well-known blogger and offers
Chris Horne
In a nutshell: The apocalypse has taken place and zombies were involved. It's bad news for humans and worse for a vampire. Time for a little mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship, eh?

Maybe it's coincidence that I recently started watching "Community" on Hulu just a couple weeks before I picked up a copy of Chuck Wendig's "Double Dead." Maybe I'm just being stupid, but it was hard not to read about Coburn, the fashion-conscious, somewhat hedonistic and snarky vampire who narrates the novel,
Originally posted here.

Remember when I said last year that @KateSherrod had needed multiple showers after reading Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black books? That was NOTHING compared to the showers, brain bleach and other necessary mental hygiene adjustments one will need after reading Wendig's zombie+vampire+zombie vampire novel Double Dead.

I am not kidding at all, this book is GROSS. But still somehow charming? Seriously, this was how I read this book - "HAHAHAHAHAHA! Ew. Seriously, ew. But still. HAH
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • City of the Lost
  • Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Dead Again
  • Green Flame Assassin (Demon Lord, #2)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • Extreme Zombies
  • Holier Than Thou (The Tome of Bill, #4)
  • Drifters (Omega Days, #3)
  • Time of Death: Induction
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
  • Plague Zone
  • Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Flu (Flu, #1)
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
More about Chuck Wendig...

“What...what are you?" she asked.
"I'm Batman.”
“He wasn't supposed to feel this way. He didn't even want to feel the way he did for the dog, for Creampuff--
"Goddamnit!" he snarled. Ginger blinked. Incredulous he explained: "They took my dog, Ginger. They stole my terrier." He popped each of his knuckles. "They didn't just abandon me after I got them through, after I kept them alive. They rubbed salt on my wound while they pissed in my eyes. I can't believe they stole my dog."
Coburn grabbed the kid by his all too-clean shirt and shook him like a baby. "Listen. You're going to drive me to go get Creampuff, my terrier...”