The Ghostwriter Secret

The Ghostwriter Secret (The Brixton Brothers #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Steve Brixton is fast becoming America's top detective. After saving the United States of America in The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity, he has opened his own agency. Steve gets a call to solve the case of the Fairview diamond but it turns into an even bigger mystery. MacArthur Bart, author of Steve's beloved Bailey Brothers series, has been kidnapped!! And there is...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghostwriter Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghostwriter Secret

paula
Excerpt from an interview with my son:

What did you think of this book?

M: Well I think that it's good, and the cover gives you a really good idea of how it is -- exciting, but also like kind of suspenseful. On the cover, you see them underwater in a pool with bullets coming down, and that is really suspenseful.
YNL: Because?
M: Because, well, I don't want to ruin anything if you haven't read the book...
YNL: But I have.
M: Ok well then because THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN THE BOOK!!
YNL: The bullets raini...more
Linda
This series is hilarious! Loosely based on the Hardy Boys series, there are lots of puns and similar names and circumstances. This is book #2.

Twelve year-old Steve Brixton, who has no siblings, formed The Brixton Brothers Detective Agency to model it after his favorite 58 book mystery series, the Bailey Brothers, written by MacArthur Bart. No new books have been written for 30 years. Steve gets a case concerning a missing diamond but he quickly solves it. Steve has written letters to his idol M...more
Elissa
Steve Brixton is back with more adventures, more mysteries, more danger, and more trouble!

After the success of his first mystery, The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity, Steve has opened his own detective agency, the Brixton Brothers' Detective Agency--even though Steve is an only child. (It just sounds better, okay!?) He gets a mysterious letter from Macarthur Bart, author of the Bailey Brothers books, Steve's favorites and his inspiration. Macarthur Bart is in trouble and he needs Steve's h...more
Melissa
Sep 09, 2010 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: mcbride.melissa@gmail.com
Shelves: 2010-reads
Steve Brixton is off on another sleuthing adventure in this second Brixton Brothers tale. Having achieved a sort of local celebrity after solving his first mystery, Steve has started an official Brixton Brothers Detective agency, never mind the fact that he is an only child and only employee of the agency. While working on his agency’s first official case, “The Missing Fairview Diamond”, Steve is contacted by his hero, MacArthur Bart, claiming that he has been kidnapped. Bart is the author of St...more
Jake V
The ghost writer secret I thought was a very good book. the book had some action and was a very good mystery book. I gave this book a four out of five because It was very good but not the best book I have ever read. This is a book for boys and I guess girls to. I would defintley read this book again. So if you need a good book that you want to read then read this super good book.

The book is about this boy that loves his favorite author, and he is visiting at a hotel right by his house. The aut...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Steve Brixton returns for another whirlwind detective adventure! With such a great success after solving The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity, Steve receives a call for help when a rare red diamond is stolen. But the missing diamond is only the beginning of the true mystery! MacArthur Bart, author of the Bailey Brothers Mysteries series is missing! Steve is on the case with some his best chum, Dana.

Another mystery novel not to be missed! Arte Johnson returns for another marvelous Mac Barn...more
Heidi
Aug 22, 2011 Heidi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 8-12
Shelves: juv-mystery, series
Steve Brixton has recently opened his own business, the Brixton Brothers Detective Agency (despite the fact that he doesn't have any siblings) and receives a phone call from the richest man in Ocean Park, Victor Fairview, his first official client. Mr. Fairview has had a diamond stolen, one of the top three diamonds in the world, the Nichols Diamond. While working on this case, Steve receives a letter from his hero, MacArthur Bart, author of Steve's favorite series, "The Bailey Brothers Mysterie...more
Heather
The Brixton Brothers series is absolutely fabulous. I loved this book and frequently found myself laughing out loud with the ridiculous situations. This will be more enjoyable for those who enjoy parodies, have a sense of humor, and have read a few detective or mystery stories. (The Hardy Boys, the Three Investigators, etc.) Steve is very smart, but is clearly living in the wrong era. He idolizes the Bailey Brothers, fictional detectives of possibly the 1950s or 1960s, calls his best friend "chu...more
Bobby Simic
The Brixton Brothers are back and only child Steve Brixton (think about it) is up to his sleuthing ways, this time involving the kidnapping of the author of his favorite book series, the Bailey Brothers Mysteries. Along with his unfortunately-named (at least for the character, not so much for the reader) best chum, Dana, Steve tries to figure out the whereabouts to his hero (and probably spirit-guide) while dodging bullets, checking into hotels, and driving his mom's boyfriend's truck over the G...more
Diane
If "Danger is the snack food of a true sleuth", Jack will never be hungry in this second Brixton Brothers novel. A stolen diamond, a kidnapped author, guns, warehouse fires and, worst of all, angry parents. Jack and Dana are up to their eyeballs in plot twists and dead ends as they try to piece together what's really happened to MacArthur Bart, famed author of The Bailey Brothers Mysteries. With no help from the police, including Rick, the police officer dating Jack's mom, the boys take matters...more
Marfita
More adventure than you could shake a stick at - a rollicking send-up of detective story tropes! These stories can be enjoyed by the young (who read and believe like Steve Brixton) and old (who remember the outlandish adventure stories of their youth) alike.
Steve Brixton must rescue his hero, MacArthur Bart - author of his favorite detective series, and foil the "B" syndicate. His mother's boyfriend, the policeman Rick Elliot, is still a doofus. Steve's best friend and partner Dana ("I'm not a d...more
Agus Siswoyo
This is perhaps the most important part of the process. Make a list of potential writers, then get on the phone - or better yet, meet in person. You want to be able to converse easily with your Ghost Writer and express yourself freely. You want your writer to "get" you; to understand who you are as a person and what makes you tick. If a potential writer doesn't understand the points you are trying to make in conversation, he or she will not be able to represent you properly in your book. If conv...more
M.
Twelve year old Steve Brixton, avid reader of the Bailey Brothers mysteries, has set up his own detective agency. His first case in this book, that of a stolen diamond, is easily solved, but the next one involves the author of the Bailey Brothers series, MacArthur Bart, who has been kidnapped. With his trusty copy of the Bailey Brothers' Detective Handbook, Steve and his good chum Dana pursue the goons and evil doers while being shot at, kidnapped, and facing the insidious plots of the bad guys....more
April
I needed to read this to review it so an official review will come around sometime in the near future. The brief version is that this is a great audiobook! Very, very funny... a wry sense of humor that I love. The story is quick and suspenseful (as my 11 yr old niece put it..."I like the short chapters" hooray for honesty! Srsly there is no need to drag out a story if it is good!). I have not read the first book in the series but it wasn't necessary to enjoy book 2, but I now want to read #1, pr...more
Sydney
I thought this was a great book with an exiting twist at the end! This is the second in the series of The Brixton Brothers by Mac Barnett. Its an exiting adventure packed mystery about America's best kid detective Steve Brixton. This book is about Steve's favorite author who wrote his favorite series being captured. This is a fun cool book and I would suggest reading it for kids Around 3rd grade to 5th grade. Have fun!
Leah
This is a perfect title for fans of old-fashioned mystery, the way I remember first reading it in Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. Just when it seems like the bad guys have got the best of the kid detectives, they pull an ace out of their sleeve. The copy we read was printed with a large font and included occasional illustrations, which made it perfect for my son to read on his own, though it was more fun to read it together.
Jenn Estepp
it's pretty much on par with the first one, so if you liked the first you'll probably like this. i didn't, really - it's just not my cup of tea. maybe i'm too close to the source. as ridiculous as i know they are, i still love the old school nancy drew, hardy boys, dana girls, etc. but, even though it's not my cup of tea, the kids at my library seemed to like the first one, so i'm glad to have this for them.
Chris
The Brixton Brothers Detective Agency is back, fully licensed and bonded (whatever that means). Steve and Dana solve jewel thefts, escape kidnappers, survive warehouse fires, and bust up crime syndicates.
My favorite part, though, is MacArthur Bart (clearly no connection to Mac Barnett), the author so unbelievably rich and successful that he spends all his time and wealth on trying not to become famous.
Natalie
These books are amusing, but totally ridiculous. After I finished the first book, my son read it and commented on the things the main character did that one shouldn't do (steal a police car, etc). Unfortunately, there is more of the same in book 2. So as long as you are not worried about your child imitating some ridiculous (and/or illegal) behavior, these books are an enjoyable and amusing read.
Megan
Another brilliant book by Mac Barnett. This series has a great mix of adventure, mystery, and humour, and this fast-paced, exciting case gives Steve Brixton the chance to seriously flex his sleuthing muscles. This could be a fun one for a family read-a-loud, since parents who are familiar with the Hardy Boys will also get a kick out of the way Barnett parodies the genre.
Robin
Outstanding choice for listening -- the whole family enjoyed this one. Arte Johnson does a great job narrating Barnett's oh so funny text. I like it even though I also like smooth jazz! ;) As soon as we finished, they asked if the next book was out yet. Steve is clever and resourceful, Rick is not, and Dana proves himself a true chum once again.
Monique
I love how Steve just figures out everything so fast! I love his funny detective agency too and Dana (the silent partner) is so not funny he's funny. He doesn't even try. Ghostwriter: A person whose job it is to write material for someone else who is the named author. Can't wait for the next one in the series after "It happened on a train"!
Cheri
We listened to this entire audiobook on a trip to visit Mike's family in Endicott, NY. We all laughed out loud. I highly recommend it as a family audiobook. Read by Arte Johnson, he is great! We also loved Mac Barnett's first book, The Case of the Case of the Mistaken Identity. Looking forward to his 3rd. Maybe on the ride home?
Andy
This 2nd title is just as much fun as the first one in this funny, breezy series. Rex's illustrations are perfect, as usual, and Barnett continues to mine comic gold from the Hardy Boys tradition - my favorite parts are the excerpts from the "Bailey Brothers Mysteries" - like #19, "The Strange Case of the Strangest Stranger."
Suzanne
There is something very endearing about Steve Brixton. I enjoy the boy working things out according to his detective handbook. He is always in situations that are unlikely but you can't help but follow along. I enjoyed the first in the series very much and this was an adequate but not stellar sequel.
Angie
Completely, totally, utterly unbelievable.

And yet ... still fun! Lots of great lines referencing old noir detectives (but still age appropriate) and hilarious illustrations. Reading them out of order ... still waiting for book one (on our state reading list for 11-12) but understood the storyline fine.
Catherine
Good old Steve Brixton. On the one hand, he's kind of dense, because he deeply believes that the Bailey Brothers universe can exist in the 21st century (heck, it was a biiig stretch in the previous century). And yet, he is a very insightful--and ace--detective. Looking forward to volume 3.
Sarah Tilatitsky
This book is pretty amusing, in a grim kinda way. I mean, it's like the Hardy Boys that's more set in the present, with overreacting. Quite amusing, as I said before. I suggest for people less than 10 years of age to read this. Otherwise, nah. I really mean it. ☺
When a series crime is solved in the first chapter, you know the Brixton Brothers detective agency is back in business. Complete with convincing disguises, high-speed chases, and successful snooping, The Ghost Writer Secret fits right in to the rest of the series.
Westerville
"Outstanding choice for listening -- the whole family enjoyed this one." - Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • Fear Itself
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
  • Another Whole Nother Story
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief #1)
  • Smells Like Treasure
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • Masters of Disaster
  • The Tilting House
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • The Island of Thieves
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.
More about Mac Barnett...
Extra Yarn Chloe and the Lion The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1) Count the Monkeys Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World

“Dana was what Steve called a "silent partner" in the Brixton Brothers Detective Agency. Being a silent partner meant that Dana didn't carry a business card, that his name didn't appear on the company letterhead, and he wanted nothing to do with the Brixton Brothers Detective Agency.” 3 likes
“Danger is the snack food of a true sleuth.” 1 likes