Start by marking “Dobri stari demon” as Want to Read:
Dobri stari demon

Dobri stari demon (Felix Castor #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  9,964 ratings  ·  794 reviews
Feliks Kastor je egzorcista slobodnjak, a London je njegovo lovište. Kad natprirodni svet pomahnita, njegove su usluge i te kako tražene. Dobar egzorcista može da naplaćuje koliko god želi i da živi na pakleno visokoj nozi, ali će pre ili kasnije naleteti na duha koji je previše za njega. A onda je igra gotova.
Prekidajući penziju za samo jedan poslić (tek da plati račune,
Paperback, 1., 436 pages
Published 2009 by IPS (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dobri stari demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dobri stari demon

Stephen
4.0 stars. This book was much better than I had anticipated it to be which was a very pleasant, if UNEXPECTED, SURPRISE.
Photobucket

I thought this was going to be a decent, but somewhat cheesy Urban Fantasy knock-off of the Dresden Files. While certainly these two series share many basic themes (as most UF does), this was a TERRIFIC READ. In fact, in two very important respects I thought this book was actually SUPERIOR to the Dresden books. Given that the Dresden books are the current “standard” at least
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
The tone of this novel is bleak, saturnine, and wry. Shades of horror and dark urban fantasy blended into a noir mystery that kept me guessing until the end. I love when a writer is able to pull all the elements together that he introduces to me, from beginning to end. And that's what Mike Carey does here. Tight plotting and subtle characterization. Even the characters that would seem stereotypical have depth and intensity.

Felix Castor gets added to my roster of male lead urban fantasy go-to cha
Carol.
May 02, 2011 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers, hard-boiled detective fans
Recommended to Carol. by: Goodreads, of course
Solid three and a half stars. I'm rounding up in Carey's case, because I think his hero is suffering from comparison to Carey's own Constantine, and Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden. I too thought of Harry Dresden while I was reading, but I found Felix Castor to be more likeable, and the overall story more enjoyable. It is clearly a "first book in a series," meaning that there is a great deal of world building. I felt it was worthwhile, and not excessive to me, but I enjoy a well-thought out world an ...more
Alex

Cover: 3/5
Story: 5/5
Action: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Favorite character(s): Felix, Rafi/Asmodeus, Scrub
Most annoying character(s): Juliet, Gabe, Rich, Damjohn

Loved this book. However, I'll take away 1 star because of the bad ending. Seriously? (view spoiler)

4 stars!

This big expert on paranormal phenomena is doing a lecture tour of the UK, and he gets to Aberystwyth on a Friday night. And he goes into the hall, and it's packed. Shuffles his
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*

“You move on. You move back. On because you're always getting older, back because there's always a set of habits and routines to catch you and suck you back in when your guard is down.”

I loved Mike Carey's writing style, it's sublime - colorful, poetic flow, funny when it's supposed to be, dramatic when it's supposed to be. Not all of the British terminology is familiar, but I adore the British writing tone as long as it's not bone dry. And hey, learn something new every day?

The protagonist Fel
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, I picked this up on the strength of a recommendation that if I liked Jim Butcher's Dresden series, I'd probably like these. I can't say that. There is a huge difference in this character, the world he functions in and the overall "feel" of the book. When I say the world is different I'm sure some thought (or said aloud) well of course the world's different, did you expect it to take place in the same world?

No. My meaning there was that the world is a much darker more negative place. "Fix"
Felicia
Yay, this was on my Kindle for a long time, and since my romance-kick has cooled, I picked it up. VERY HAPPY I DID! Felix Castor is an exorcist in an alt-London, attitude-y and very enjoyable. This is a non-romance-type paranormal, so it was a nice break from my usual, and I really loved the mystery aspect of the book, it was well done. In addition, it kinda creeped me out, so I had to check the closet twice before bed-time. Ghosts can be creepy even in print!

Jim Butcher fans will like this seri
Becky
Despite like 20 people I know having read (or wanting to read this), I'd never heard of it until discussing the best Urban Fantasy books and series... And then, because I'm half-demon myself, this one stood out from the crowd and sounded like it'd be something I'd really enjoy. To be quite honest, I'm a little tired of the vampires and the werewolves and whatnot, so demons and ghosts seemed like a nice change.

And it was.

I really enjoyed this book. I've been in a bit of a slump lately, and so i
Karen
Aug 20, 2007 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the masses, as long as they like the supernatural
I'm seriously supposed to write down "what I learned from this book"? (I am not impressed by this review form but as this is my first review I should probably curb my disdain a bit.) Very well then.

What I Learned from This Book: I learned that I very much enjoy books about ghosts and other supernatural creatures that have infested our modern world. I learned that I especially like books of this nature when they are narrated by sardonic and somewhat seedy male narrators who make their livings pe
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
This book was a major disappointment :( I’m a huge fan of Mike Carey’s work for DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint, and I thought he did a masterful job crafting new tales for characters created by Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. So when I heard he was working on a series of novels, I was eager to see what he could do with a world of his own creation. Sadly, the answer turned out to be…not very much.

The premise of following the exploits of an exorcist-for-hire sounds promising, but Carey just doesn’t do eno
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I have so many conflicting feelings about this complex book I don't know where to begin. The overall feeling of the book is sadness and loneliness which works really well but still left me feeling sad myself at the end. the next book is much less depressing which is good. The protagonist is believable and multi-layered and I really liked him. The bad guys are really bad but still not flat. The good guys are regular people. All of the characters feel real to me. The plot is good and had me guessi ...more
Petertpc
A darker, edgier version of the Dresden Files, with a more sophisticated, mature plot than the more crowd-pleasing Dresden stories. I really liked Felix Castor and the more gloomy world created by Mike Carey. I think I'm a fan, and am going to check out book 2 to confirm.
Lightreads
Urban fantasy, same general map references as The Dresden Files -- loner magical protagonist with a tragical past, a supernatural mystery, that sort of thing. And if you line them up for comparison, this book is:

*Three times better written on a mechanical prose level,
*Approximately 50% less sexist,
*Equally creative on the magical front,
*Immeasurably more mature, philosophically.

And yet, I cared about it roughly a third as much.

Sometimes trying to feed the emotional centers of my brain something
Chris
Good London-based urban fantasy about an exorcist who's been on hiatus but takes an innocuous sounding job because he desperately needs money. I tried reading this 18 months ago and quit at 1/3 because I couldn't get into it - no such problem this time!
Carly
~4.5 (Original first read rating was 4.)

Despite the etymology of his name, Felix "Fix" Castor feels anything but happy or lucky. In his altered world, in which the dead have risen and now pace the streets as zombies and ghosts, Felix's skills as an exorcist are at a premium. After a terrible accident in which he helped to bind a friend's soul to a demon, Felix is trying to take early retirement from the ghostbuster business. With money tight and fear on the rise, it's just not that easy for Feli
Jamie
Oct 26, 2009 Jamie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Unauthorized Cinnamon
3.5 stars, a good read.

Felix Castor sees dead people. Actually, in this world everyone sees dead people but only a talented few can make them go away - which is how Castor used to earn his living, as an exorcist, before a tragic mistake made him question his calling. He takes the job back on due to financial pressures, of course, and tries to solve the mystery of a haunted documentation archive.

The adventure, which takes place in an alternate modern-day London, is populated with ghosts, demons,
Nicholas Karpuk
As a guy trying to get published writing fantasy in a contemporary setting, I recently realized I had little to know actual familiarity with any writing of that style. Only after really thinking about it for a bit did I realize why:

They're written as mysteries. Quite often with private detectives. Even the early Harry Potter books follow that formula.

Something goes afoul, authorities want the protagonist to stop looking into it, red herrings abound, and it almost always ends up with a character
Dean
This book came up as a suggestion after I read the first two installments of the "Sandman Slim" series by Richard Kadrey.
I am SO glad I did.
My pat line is that I do not go too far into plot as that is better left to jacket covers.
I used to read "Hellblazer" religiously (pun intended) so I was most definitely intrigued by Mike Carey's writing in Novel form.
Herein Constantine is reborn with a tin whistle as Felix Castor or "Fix." Exorcist and scamp extraordinaire.
This is definitely a pulp noir de
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

Not quite sure what to say about this one.

I liked Fix and his snarky humor and deprecating wit, even if everything reminded me a bit too much of Constantine. Not that there weren't differences, 'cause there are, but I felt the influence was obvious, at the least - in some of the humor, the whole guilt about past mistakes with magic hurting friends, that sort of thing.

But while Constantine is a more all-purpose magician, Fix is more just an exorcist. Well, a retired one, until he's forced to t
Aldi
[For some reason, full formatting only shows up here. Goodreads' html has defeated me :p]

A little while ago I bought a pack of prawn crackers, expecting, you know, delicious cracky prawny snackness. I tore into the pack in full anticipation of shortly crunching down on a mouthful of yummy processed crustaceans, only to find a bag full of hard little plasticky discs that looked and tasted like casino tokens (if I even actually eat a casino token, I'll make sure to take notes to compare). After a
Ms. Nikki
2 1/2 stars

Felix Castor exorcises ghosts. At least he used to, until he binds a demon to one of his closest friends causing him to be locked in a facility. He lives with his other friend Pen. A case comes along just at the right time and he takes it. He doesn't think too hard about where they go, as long as they go. However, this case makes him figure out what exactly happened to the ghost who turns from an "it" to a "she" in his mind. I think this is a turning point for him.

Well, let just say
Trin
The first in a new series of novels by Mike Carey, whose Lucifer and Hellblazer runs I really like. The series is set in a world very like ours—except a few years ago, the dead started to come back: as ghosts, as zombies, and as were (possessed and altered animals). Our narrator and guide to this world is the improbably named Felix Castor, an exorcist who's always been able to see dead people and who communes with them through music—his exorcism ritual involves a tin whistle; he's like the Pied ...more
Summer
Setting, tone, style, pacing--everything about this book was really well done. The only problem I had was that I'm an American and the book is set in London, written by an Englishman, so a lot of the slang was over my head--but that didn't detract at all from an enjoyable read.

The book's world was very believable, as pretty much everything paranormal is viewed from the perspective of ghosts, including were-creatures, which I found very interesting.

Felix Castor is a likable, realistic hero/anti
Ed [Redacted]
About the best urban fantasy I have read, probably ever. Of course I haven't read all that much urban fantasy.
Mark
Jun 02, 2014 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Recommended to Mark by: fans of the Dresden files looking for a fix while waiting for the nect Butcher novel
What do you read in between the publication of the latest Harry Dresden books was a question that got answered on GR and the thread gave a great amount of titles and writers. Mike Cary with his Felix Castor being one of them, and as luck would have it I ran into the whole series of 5 novels for a more than reasonable price sand thus decided to give it a try. And enjoying the calm of my residence in the Ardennen were there is radio (no TV through choice) and a barely sufficient internet connectio ...more
Jared Vincent Lacaran
An eerie book akin to Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. This a book that fans of Simon R. Green's Nightside,Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim, Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files, and other urban fantasy books will love.

The protagonist is Felix Castor, a freelance exorcist who exorcises demons, zombies, loup-garous, and ghosts with the use of music. Felix is like the the Lone Ranger and Peter Venkman from the Ghostbusters combined together. He is always broke and can call upon spirits through the use of
Brainycat
Brainycat's 5 "B"s:
boobs: 3
blood: 2
bombs: 0
bondage: 1
blasphemy: 5

See also Lady Danielle's excellent review, I'm not going to repeat her synopsis but I do want to share my own thoughts.

I F'ing LOVED this book. It started off as a modern paranormal thriller (blessedly devoid of any of the typical trappings of the PNR genre), and then oh so subtly became a really well done whodunnit. Felix is another one of the antiheroes I admire so much, the kind who obstinately follows his own moral compass even
Chibineko
I have to say that after listening to a particularly dreadful audiobook narration that continues to haunt me, Michael Kramer was a rather welcome change of pace. As far as narrators go, he's particularly nice. It's especially impressive when you realize exactly how much he's done work-wise. I was surprised to discover that Kramer *wasn't* British, although I admit that I'm not a complete expert on accents. It was certainly a pleasant one to listen to, in any case. Audio-wise, this was very well ...more
Will Hinds
After over five months of collecting dust, I finally set myself to finish this book. What went wrong? Even after finishing the book, and describing it to other people, I still can't figure it out. The premise is interesting, the mystery was engaging and had its share of twists, and turns, even the characters were lively and unique.

The problem is 500 pages. 500 pages seems like an awful lot to me, but maybe I'm just a lazy reader. Apparently, Mike Carey is not in the same camp as me. The Devil Yo
JC
I wasn't a fan of Mike Carey's work in comics. Although I could appreciate his skills as a writer, he never quite grabbed me the way Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis or Michael Bendis did. Maybe it was because he never seemed to get the "great" artists working with him. I tried (I really did) to like him, but I dropped Hellblazer from my pull list shortly after he took over, and I tried to like Lucifer, it just didn't hold my interest for very long.

This is why I had to give 5 stars to The Devil You Know
Song list 1 11 May 14, 2014 12:37PM
What happened to Felix Castor? 2 73 Dec 06, 2013 10:54AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: July BOTM: THE DEVIL YOU KNOW by Mike Carey 37 57 Sep 14, 2013 12:05AM
Who's Your Author?: September BOM: The Devil You Know 4 14 Sep 09, 2013 08:54PM
Horror Aficionados : The Devil You Know- Buddy Read (spoilers) 28 40 Aug 26, 2013 08:09AM
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • No Dominion (Joe Pitt, #2)
  • Snake Agent (Detective Inspector Chen, #1)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1)
  • The Man With the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

Felix Castor (5 books)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway Ender's Shadow: Command School The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man

“I took a strong dislike to him right then to save time and effort later.” 25 likes
“Even at its worst, there are tiny holes in the midnight canopy of my bad luck.” 1 likes