Diario de Ad

Diario de Ad

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  6,067 ratings  ·  493 reviews
Recorded as double journal entries, human creation has grains of truth for modern gender disputes. Humans are essentially the same inside. Adam is somewhat of a silent recluse, ill-prepared for his talkative emotional rib. After conflict, despite the apple, comes harmony.
Published January 1st 2011 by Vi-Da GLOBAL (first published 1904)

MJ Nicholls
This was boring. A pointless compilation of the stories Twain wrote that reference Adam and Eve, i.e. a few fragments alongside the amusing ‘The Diary of Adam and Eve’ that barely fills half this micro-offering. Oneworld Classics (now Alma Classics) are exemplary in bringing lesser-known classics into the public awareness, but cobbling together scraps from the Twain table and publishing them with a sexy cover is not shrewd business (specially since Twain is as sexy as sticky toffee pudd’n). I re...more
Jared
While Twain plays on and derives humor from some familiar gender stereotypes, this is in no way a one-joke piece. If anything, the book’s “gimmick”--the translation of previously undiscovered texts direct from the Garden of Eden--provides it with the fuel for genius. The man and the woman, while playing their traditional, stereotypical roles to perfection, also happen to be the first of their sexes. As a result, Adam and Eve are able to play out the battle of the sexes unhampered by the cultural...more
Prashant
Here's a short version of what Twain tried to say in this book

EVE'S DIARY

I have come to this world omniscient and I am just bored to death.

I saw a man today and he(I learned to call him 'he' and not 'it' out of nowhere) looked very ordinary.

The man always ignores me. I so desperately want his attention.

I have feelings, I see colors, I know the name of everything, I feel sad, I feel intrigued, I give love, I experiment, I am inquisitive and he is so grumpy!

I find all the new things in this wo...more
anca dc
~ la inceput, teribil de amuzanta. noroc ca eram singura in birou. [da, am inceput'o intr'o pauza la servici, dar nu a fost chip sa o las din mana. oricum, in mai putin de o ora se termina..:]. stropul de inceput:

Luni. Creatura asta noua cu parul lung ma cam incurca. Imi da mereu tarcoale si ma urmareste. Nu prea'mi place asta fiindca nu's obisnuit cu societatea. Mai bine statea cu celelalte animale...Azi e timp noros, bate vint de la rasarit. Cred ca o sa vina ploaia peste noi.."Noi"? De unde'
Cate White
I'd say this was the original Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, and would have been annoying bullshit if Mark Twain weren't so wry and humane. Apparently, his out-of-time insight into the construct of racial differences didn't carry over into gender. Adam wants to build stuff. Eve wants to talk all day. Adam wants his space. Eve just wants to relate. Anyway, after the Fall, Adam came to the conclusion that his lost connection to Eden was retained in his connection to Eve. Hence, all this...more
Lori
Bought this at the used book store today, and read in the car between grabbing lunch and christmas shopping.

I haven't read Twain since middle school; I have a hazy recollection of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer getting into mischief. I was not sure what to expect, but what I expected was far inferior to what I read.

Twain breathes life into Adam and Eve in a way that I've known only one other author to do (David Maine - in his biblical fiction novels).

Beginning the day after her creation, we...more
Boof
What a lovely little book. Twain explores what it could have been like for two very different people to discover the odd world around them and he does it with much humour. Watching both Adam and Eve play their sterotypical roles to perfection is redemed by Twain’s humour; Adam wanting to do nothing but build things and Eve wanting to do nothing but talk (much to Adam’s dismay) is both funny and lovable. Eve wants to discover everything; she names all the animal and mothers them all, she delights...more
Nathaniel
I read this last night; it was quite short and very easy to read. I felt at first that it was pretty sexist, but the more I read, the more I felt that Twain must have loved his wife. By the end, I felt that essentially the book was a tribute to women. It made me smile as I thought of how my wife also, in effect, tells me to stop swimming over Niagra Falls.
Javad Khodadadi
همونطور که از اسم کتاب برمیاد داستان درباره آدم و حواست
اما این داستان با نگاهی طنز و از گفته‌های این دو شخصیت نوشته شده و به نظرم طنز شیرین و جذابیه
چیزی که خیلی برام جالب بود بیان تفاوتهای زن و مرد در این داستانه که واقعا من رو خندوند
تعداد صفحات کتاب کم هست و به راحتی می‌تونید اون رو بخونید
Kristīne
Pārsteidzošs netīšs atradums pašas veikalā! Meklēju kaut ko mazu, ko ātri izlasit, jo esmu stipri atpalikusi no sava lasīšanas plāna, bet uzdūros tādai pērlei! Skaisti un patiesi par vīrieti un sievieti.
Amy
Lovely read. Something to read in an evening or an hour or so. I am always in awe of Mark Twain's uncanny ability to transcend time in his writing. That being said, this is one of the few times where I felt my modern perception of feminism put a damper on the first read through. It was not until my second reading, where I sat back and just took what he was writing for WHAT HE WAS WRITING and nothing more, that I truly enjoyed this book. Also, reading the bio at the end of the book gave more insi...more
Becky
Dec 15, 2009 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Naomi, Jayne, Tessa, Jeannette, and everyone else
(copied from my blog review of this short story)
Lately, I’ve been doing a little self-inflicted intervention to treat my addiction to fantasy novels. In the attempt, I’ve been trying to read such things as Aristotle, my old German grammar textbooks, Homer’s The Iliad and The Odyssey, and works from author’s that everyone reads but I just haven’t gotten to. So, I checked out a collection of short stories by Mark Twain on my last trip to the library. I’d read the Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer stuff in high...more
Allison W.
Oct 10, 2011 Allison W. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: YAs & Up
Recommended to Allison W. by: Banned Book
Pick it up. Read it. Enjoy it fully. It is hard to imagine that one wouldn't - even if one isn't a fan of Twain.

I really enjoyed this book - much more than I thought I would or even could after my unpleasant feelings about Huck Finn. I really thought I'd never be able or even willing to read Twain again. This being an Oxford Edition, it comes with an interesting Preface and Afterwards and Notes.

What was so great about these two books, that are published together for the first time here, is that...more
Tamra
Jan 08, 2009 Tamra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who wants to laugh, but especially Twain fanatics
This version contains the artwork published in the 1904 and 1906 editions of Extracts from Adam's Diary and Eve's Diary, respectively. The artwork that goes along with Extracts from Adam's Diary is HILARIOUS! Done in caveman-type etchings, by Adam himself. Can you get better than that? No. You can take or leave the artwork from Eve's Diary. Some of it's funny, but mostly it's just cute.

I also enjoyed the insights offered by other authors on the significance of Mark Twain (like I didn't know, but...more
Persephone Abbott
Given that this is Twain's take on the blueprint story of man and woman or woman and man, the stereotyping can be anticipated. The most engaging attitude of this collection of items that he wrote on the subject of Adam and Eve, is the look into the Bible, a divine and ridiculous source providing many personalities with very little character. Twain delights in taking this into account and elaborates with some glee upon these weaknesses of the Biblical texts or personalities. Even funnier is the f...more
Kathryn
I'm not always a fan of Twain, but I just adore this book for some reason--maybe because it seems so different from his other writings. As the title suggests, it shows the story of Adam and Eve from their separate diary accounts.
Yes, there is much satire as with any of Twain's
writings, and some might say that there is overexaggeration of the differences between men and women; but I also think there is a remarkable
heartfulness shining through. And I think it shows
beautiful balance -- both Adam...more
Georgiana 1792
Eva: la prima scienziata della storia!

Meravigliosa la figura della prima donna (l'esperimento, come lei stessa si definisce) secondo Mark Twain: entusiasta, curiosa, fantasiosa, socievole, fiduciosa, inconsapevolmente poetica, ma soprattutto coraggiosa.
Coraggiosa perché non ha paura di fare esperimenti per cercare di capire come funzionano le cose nell'Eden, coraggiosa perché non ha paura di scoprire nuovi sentimenti, anche se sono dolorosi, coraggiosa perché non le importa se mangiare le mele...more
Margherita Dolcevita
Due cose, innanzitutto.
1. Ogni persona adulta eterosessuale (non vuol essere un discorso sessista, ma non so come funzioni per i rapporti omosessuali) dovrebbe leggere questo libro. Obbligatoriamente. A 16 ti tocca leggere "I promessi sposi", a 25 "Il diario di Adamo ed Eva". Peraltro il libro di Twain è leggermente più breve e scorrevole del mattone manzoniano, quindi direi che si può fare, yes we can.

2. Ogni coppia di futuri sposi dovrebbe pensare a questo libro come bomboniera. Invece di ang...more
Stacie
After reading Lori's review yesterday I took this off the shelf and put it "on deck." However, it kept looking at me and I couldn't help myself and picked it up...flashforward a few hours later and it was done!

It was a quick read to be sure. But, it was more so because it was engaging. Twain's style simply grabs hold of you and doesn't let you go until you are done.

I really enjoyed his characterizations of Adam and Eve, but my favorite part, albeit a short part, was Adam speaking about Noah. I l...more
Shannon
Extremely entertaining. Adam's blunt, basic entries, versus Eve's verbose, eloquent, metaphysical ones cracked me up. Twain's acidic humor, as always, permeates through this fictional glimpse of the genesis of human life.
Petrucha
That´s a beautiful (and in the end saddening) introspection into the minds of men and women. I laughed quite a lot when reading it, Mark Twain did a good job and I suppose everybody could just read this and never have to turn to reading those men-are-from-mars books. This one says it all and you can forgive it the stereotypes, since it was written a LONG time ago.
Devlin Scott
One of my favorites of Twain's works. With a touch of piquant humor and a dash of sexist (on both sides and delivered with love) truthfulness he has shown us not only some of the honest differences between the sexes but also, how best to bring them together...by communication of heart.

I don't find it's revelations at all dated.

Devlin
Apr 05, 2011 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Loved this book! Really fast little read, but full of the sarcasm and wit you would expect from Mark Twain. How can you not love a book where the author has Adam thinking Cain is a fish? :)
Jordan
It was good. I didn't know what to expect so I missed the humor at first. Thought provoking but very much tongue in cheek...Recommend it for a quick read.
Lavinia
Dec 03, 2008 Lavinia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lavinia by: Vera
Brilliant! I was so impressed with it, that I told all my friends (who enjoy reading) to give it a try. At least one was enthusiastic about it.
طيبه تيموري

اين كتاب رو مي تونيد از طريق اين آدرس مطالعه كنيد
جالب بود
خصوصاً فصل آخر
Linh
Điểm tốt: Truyện cực ngắn, mặt trình bày tốt. Bên trong giống mấy cuốn nhật ký/sổ tay giả cổ nhìn khá hấp dẫn. Hình minh họa đơn giản nhưng đẹp.

Còn lại: Thứ nhất, plot hole. Ai rõ chuyện Adam & Eva trong kinh thánh cũng như việc con người trên Trái Đất sau khủng long bao nhiêu năm chắc chắn sẽ vừa đọc vừa ngu mặt.

Thứ hai, quyển này đúng kiểu "đàn ông đến từ sao Hỏa đàn bà đến từ sao Kim". Và nhân tiện đọc đến đoạn Eva kết luận "Ta yêu chàng vì chàng là GIỐNG ĐỰC" mình đã có 5s cân nhắc chọi...more
Kia Taheri
نگاهی طنزنمون به باور مکاشفه‌وارِ داستان آدم که در بهشت بود. کتاب با سایر آثار این نویسنده، تفاوت عمده دارد.
Farah
I loved this short story. Twain is an extremely witty and humorous story teller.
Jamie
Funny and sarcastic... Mark Twain at his cynical best
Short & Sweet...: The Diary of Adam and Eve ~ Classic Read 56 58 Jan 24, 2014 05:44PM
jaleb va khoob 1 18 Jun 29, 2007 11:07PM
  • The Ransom of Red Chief
  • Just Patty
  • Medaliony
  • Lois the Witch
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work...more
More about Mark Twain...
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

“After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her.” 712 likes
“Wheresoever she was, there was Eden.” 83 likes