Start by marking “The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It” as Want to Read:
The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It

The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It

Leslie Vernick, counselor and social worker, has witnessed the devastating effects of emotional abuse. Many, including many in the church, have not addressed this form of destruction in families and relationships because it is difficult to talk about. With godly guidance and practical experience, Vernick offers an empathetic approach to recognizing an emotionally destructi ...more
Published August 15th 2007 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Emotionally Destructive Relationship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emotionally Destructive Relationship

Brandon H.
This is a great book if you're not clear on the definition of emotional abuse, or if you are in a toxic relationship and feel stuck and don't know what to do. It's also informative on how you can work on your "issues" as well as working on your relationship with an abusive person. Leslie Vernick has a lot of Biblically based, practical advice on the subject. It really opened my eyes to somethings and encouraged me to continue to take responsibility for my soul and life. One quote I particularly ...more
Teresa
Apr 25, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to read, to think and pray on, and to come face to face with. Having said that, I think there is much to be gained from Vernick's approach, advice, insight and instruction.

What I particularly like (and loathe) is the focus on MY contribution(s) to these difficult relationships and how I can improve my inner life as well as with other people.

Hard as heck to put into action sometimes, but well worth the effort! Now that I'm done and have spent a couple of weeks consciously applying Verni
Debbie
Aug 31, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
I just finished reading Leslie's book and all I can say is that she has such insight and wisdom. I have a family member who abused me. I cut off the relationship over a decade ago; however, the person continues to cause me grief because she uses other people to get to me. It has been a rough road, but I have grown tremendously because of it. This book shows you what an emotionally destructive relationship looks like and how to deal with it. The advice is Biblical and practical. What I found inte ...more
Chuck
Jul 24, 2011 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most tragic recommendations I make as a Biblical counselor is for someone to read this book. That recommendation means that after discussing their situation, I believe that two Christians aren't living as disciples of Christ; that they have failed to show the world how we are to love another (John 13:34-35). So for this reason, it is one of the most important resources for pastors and counselors to be familiar with and to recommend in their counseling and discipleship of others.
Lainy
Jul 11, 2011 Lainy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I came to a particular part in this book a few days ago and stopped. I haven't picked it up since. I am in a place I must face and it is very difficult for me, but this is something I must do. I know this. So, I am picking the book back up tonight and moving foward. This book is a must for anyone and everyone looking to get into, having problems in, or trying to understand different types, of relationships.
Relationships in:
Family (Parents / Kids)
Marriage
Friends
Self
Karen
Jan 14, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was one person in my life who seemed set on destroying me, at least emotionally. I've never met anyone like this person. I thought the problem was all me. While I am part of the problem, having someone bent on stirring up and causing trouble in my life is not something I was ready for. I've also gotten alot of flack for not doing whatever to keep this from happening, to keep the peace, etc. I don't think they saw what I saw, there was no way to stop it without totally disengaging, and now ...more
Beth
Jan 14, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because of a difficult relationship someone I know is in, but I found some helpful advice for my own relationships as well. It gives biblical and practical advice to help you recognize destructive habits of communication in your relationships and what you can do about them. The most helpful advice, in my opinion, was the fact that while you have no control over the behavior of others, you DO have control over your own behavior and reactions. Vernick helps you learn to set bounda ...more
Renee
Jun 21, 2016 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books explains the many faces of abuse, how to recognize it, how to face it, make a stop to it and grow from it.

I like that she helps the victim/survivors to see their role or part in the process of being in a emotionally destructive relationship. she doesn't guilt but help the readers to be self aware and understanding more about themselves.

Part of the abuse makes you think that you are crazy or loosing touch with reality. this book help you focus on what it true while acknowledging your
Elizabeth Turner
Everyone should read this book. It is simple, practical, and easy to read. The author speaks gently, yet clearly. The only thing I wish is that she had more clearly defined the difference between an unhealthy relationship and an abusive relationship. But the book is a good, thought-provoking exploration of relationships and offers helpful advice throughout.
Heather
Jan 24, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: counselors and those trapped in destructive relationships -- marriage or family or friendship
Shelves: counseling
Excellent book to help in counseling those entangled in abusive relationships at any level. Presents a good blend of pragmatic steps to be taken and theological/relational truth . I am considering using it for a support group.
Becca
Jun 02, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clear and realistic guide to coping with difficult people. I appreciate Leslie's biblical approach and her focus on becoming the person God desires you to be.
Chris
Mar 06, 2017 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for my practicum training. It was lovely and powerful. Definitely gave me a good bit of insight into my clients and into life
Shauna Durbin
Everyone should read this book at some point in their adult life. This book opened my eyes to the destructive relationship and what a powerful effect it can have on a person's life. I bought this book after listening to Leslie speak on a Focus on the Family broadcast. Her words of wisdom and compassion really compelled me to read her book. The title really says it all. The book, "The Emotionally Destructive Relationship" is truly about seeing the bad relationship, stopping it, and surviving it. ...more
Jackie Bolen
Dec 02, 2013 Jackie Bolen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. Every counselor, pastor and friend of someone who has been in an emotionally destructive relationship as well as every individual who has been or is in an emotionally destructive relationship should ready this book. I wish I had known about it earlier in my experiences. I look forward to deepening my relationship with God through the suggested activities as well as pushing myself further to heal completely. Thank you Leslie for being brave enough to write about this subj ...more
Lisa
Dec 12, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Leslie Vernick at a conference this year and have been meaning to read this book. Recently I started seeing a new client and she mentioned this book, so we decided to read it together. This book is an EXCELLENT Biblical resource for people in emotionally destructive relationships. It's a great resource for those who think they MUST stay in a relationship because otherwise God won't be happy with them. But not only that, it shows you how you could even thrive in this situation. I really lik ...more
Pamela Hamilton
Jun 02, 2012 Pamela Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of those books that for me was life changing! Leslie helps women who find themselves in destructive relaionships to recognize and acknowledge the truth of their situation, understand how they are contributing to the problem and then she offers practical suggestions for making changes to help stop the destruction that will ultimately bring healing to the relationship.
A.K. Klemm
Oct 25, 2015 A.K. Klemm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think everyone should read this book before they die. It is especially helpful for seemingly un-empathetic personality types who are used to looking at their own feelings in a clinical way. There is validity in how we feel. We also should be more mindful of our words and actions and how others feel. I needed this book more than I can say and am seeking out more of Vernick's work.
Heather Hampton
This book is all about healthy relationships and the importace of keeping all of our relationships healthy. It is written with a Godly, Biblical perspective and highlights not only the importance of keeping our relationships healthy for our own well being but also for our relationships with God and others.
Staci
Oct 30, 2012 Staci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books fills a needed void and brings to light some things that most Christians don't want to think about. Vernick has given a great resource both for those in an emotionally destructive relationship and those who want to help them.
Rose from Chapter Break
everyone should read this book
Holly
Dec 06, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Profound. Puts perspective on things.
Joellen
Feb 11, 2011 Joellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for everyone! Very informative in the dynamics of interpersonal relationships.
This would be a good group study book for teen agers to help prevent teenage abuse.
Kay  Williams
Jul 06, 2015 Kay Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative

My husband and I studied this book together. The information was biblical, useful, practical and easy to understand. Helpful book
Debi
Nov 28, 2012 Debi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read.
Annephia proctor
Annephia proctor rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Debi
Debi rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2017
Amber  Wehrli
Amber Wehrli rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Brad Anderson
Brad Anderson rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Diane Brening
Diane Brening rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
  • When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse
  • Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Just Isn't Good Enough
  • The Fantasy Fallacy: Exposing the Deeper Meaning Behind Sexual Thoughts
  • It Wasn't Your Fault: Freeing Yourself from the Shame of Childhood Abuse with the Power of Self-Compassion
  • How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage
  • Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again
  • Never Go Back
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
  • Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel
  • Total Forgiveness: True Inner Peace Awaits You!
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • Caring for People God's Way: Personal and Emotional Issues, Addictions, Grief, and Trauma
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality
  • Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash a Revolution in Your Life In Christ
  • The Anger Workbook

“When you give another person the power to define you, then you also give them the power to control you.” 37 likes
“When you give another person the power to define you, then you also give them the power to control you. Here’s” 3 likes