Start by marking “Predators I Have Known” as Want to Read:
Predators I Have Known

Predators I Have Known

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
An adrenaline-fueled travel memoir of life in the wild among the planet’s most ferocious and fascinating predators

Over the last forty years, bestselling science-fiction writer Alan Dean Foster has journeyed around the globe to encounter nature’s most fearsome creatures. His travels have taken him into the heart of the Amazon rain forest on the trail of deadly tangarana ant
Published February 22nd 2011 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Predators I Have Known, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Predators I Have Known

Julie - Book Hooked Blog
I have to preface my review of this book by telling you guys that I am boring and unsophisticated and I know it. The thing is, I hate travelling. I don't want to go backpacking through Europe or walk through the rainforests or hike giant mountains. I mean, Europe would be nice, but I'd like to see it via luxury hotels and maybe some spa treatments. The thought of site-seeing makes me get a little twitchy. Which is why I love travel books, especially travel books dealing with exotic locales and l ...more
Bryan Schmidt
Feb 17, 2011 Bryan Schmidt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compelling read filled with sparkling prose about the author's adventures outside his culture and comfort zone encountering predators around the world and even in his own yard. Rich in detail with a good sense of self-deprecation mixed with genuine cultural and animal insight, Foster herein challenges all of us to live a little more bravely than we might so that we can write better, understand better, and experience the world better. Truly inspiring. I couldn't put it down.

Have you ever wonder
Sue
Alan Dean Foster, a science fiction writer, documents his world adventures to see exotic animals. From sharks to tarantulas, leeches to lions, and from Arizona to Botswana, he tells stories of close encounters and makes observations about animal and human interactions. His prose is a bit clumsy, as if he were practicing writing for his novels-- which, for a science fiction writer, travel and strange animals make great practice. I found his attitude a bit pompous, as when he rescues a fellow scub ...more
Ellie
Jun 13, 2012 Ellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
Predators I Have Known is a non-fiction outing for sci-fi writer, Alan Dean Foster, in which he regales us with tales of his encounters with the predators of the natural world. From diving with great whites to outrunning ants, the writing is at its best when he is obviously passionate about the subject matter.

Unfortunately, the day to day travelogue anecdotes are clumsy and a little boring. We don’t need to know the details of how he got to the places where he saw the predators, especially when
Melanti
The mostly undeclared focus of the book is how all of these encounters have influenced his writing; he spends almost as much time talking about how it feels to know you can be eaten/killed/completely ignored by something as he does talking about the animals themselves. He doesn't explicitly talk about what events inspired what novels until the last chapter but you can see hints and references throughout if you're familiar with his books.

You can also see the roots of some of the ecological/enviro
Dustin Voliva
Aug 19, 2011 Dustin Voliva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster is a science fiction author - this however is a series of essays and observations about his real life encounters within the jungles and waters of our world. I learned valuable life lessons:
1. Never rub the chest of a cheetah just because your own cats like being rubbed on the chest.
2. Never, ever, ever, ever bother ants in the jungle. Ever. Unfortunately, if you happen across driver ants, you run. Really fast. Across their path. You're going to get bit. Also: don't fall.
3. Co
Shafiq Taliba
Enjoyable. Reminds me of Douglas Adams' "Last Chance to See," which I think is the better of the two. Still, no complaints.
My Review: This was a fascinating and eloquently written piece by a daring (shall I say slightly foolish) world traveler. Encountering beasts of all size, shape, color, and potential threat- this man has spent many days and nights in the presence of undomesticated wilderness. From leeches and spiders to great whites and rampaging elephants, this is a fast-paced, informative book that makes me want to travel the world and see all its beauty (and beasts). Touche, Mr. Foste
Matt
Mar 01, 2015 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book about encounters with dangerous animals should be really exciting, right? Sadly, this one doesn't deliver. Maybe it's because we can always tell that Foster is in soft safari mode, eco-tourism at best. Mostly it's because the language is just too dry and focuses as much on the company Foster keeps during his excursions, which always seems like a bunch of other bored and rich "adventurers." I kept hoping for something pulse-raising, but never found it here.
LA
Jun 24, 2011 LA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an OK read. He talks about some interesting events, and of course he's a good writer, but he has an annoying habit of comparing things to characters or events in old movies. So if you're an old movie buff, you'll get the references... if not, you'll be jerked out of the narrative. I'd borrow this one from the library.
Kate
Jun 17, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, nonfiction, fiction
Foster is pretty self-congratulatory about his travels and adventures with dangerous predators, but I can give him a pass, as he has gone out of his way to experience the world in ways that few people have ever tried. And he does make some great points about environmental tourism. Now, if he just wouldn't sound so smug...
Deb
Jul 10, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars for this well-written and witty collection of tales describing wildlife encountered during the globe-trotting author's adventure-travels. Although entertaining (and educational), the frequent references to Foster's sci-fi novels (a genre I neither understand nor appreciate) were lost on me.
Ben Vogel
Apr 06, 2015 Ben Vogel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purgatory
Purgatory. May never finish it. As a reader with some fond recollections of AD Foster's work, this mix of memoir and predator study may simply not be his genre. And his tendency in the first chapters of this book to include a metaphor in nearly every paragraph became very annoying. Ugh.
Michael
Jul 20, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a perfect read to kick off the summer. Although in retrospect I found most of his animal encounters to be pretty tame, the author's writing and story telling skills were excellent and made his adventures engaging to read.
Alison
Jun 06, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, memoir, animals
Thoroughly amusing accounts of the authors travels across the world, and the various kinds of animals he has encountered. He has a really funny style and turn of phrase that had me grinning at times.
Nnedi
Apr 11, 2011 Nnedi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
these amazing stories were further enhanced by the fact that i know alan personally. i have only gotten to hear a few of these tales directly from him. this was awesome.
Alisa Kester
Feb 20, 2013 Alisa Kester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting and well-written. I wish he wrote more non-fiction about the natural world and his travels, because I really am not into his genre of fiction.
Jasmin B
Jasmin B marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Elaine Leow
Elaine Leow marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jake Causey
Jake Causey marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Rachel Watkins
Rachel Watkins rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2016
Blaire Skinner
Blaire Skinner rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Eric Danielson
Eric Danielson rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Ben Brown
Ben Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Bryan Schmidt
Bryan Schmidt marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...