4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  3,302 ratings  ·  394 reviews
Xander Karcek has only wanted two things in his life: Christian Edwards and basketball—the man he loves and the game that let him escape a childhood he’d rather forget. His two obsessions have served him well. He and Chris beat the odds and stayed together through high school, college, and right on to the NBA.

But life under fame’s microscope isn’t easy, especially when two...more
Published April 22nd 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published April 21st 2011)

Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
3rd out of 450 books — 946 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
FAVORITE GAY COUPLES
27th out of 1,467 books — 1,893 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauraadriana
TRUE LOVE...THE REAL DEAL, beat the odds, makes you better, gets you through anything, worth the pain, selfless, makes the happy better because we're together, strong, will outlast ALL hate, pain, bigotry, sacrifice, and come out FUCKING SHINING in the end...True.Love.

This book...These men...At 14 years old Xander met Chris on basketball court while he was trying to escape a bit from the horribleness that was his life. An addict mother, hunger, desperation, and Chris he saved him, they played ba...more
j  u  l  i  o
Feb 23, 2014 j u l i o rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who's never been abandoned.
Jesus, Amy Lane is going to kill me.

I can't read any more of her books until I've been through another round of therapy. Beauty and kindness and bravery and loyalty on this scale is too intense for a fragile heart like mine.

Haven't cried this much in years. No more Amy Lane for me.

(view spoiler)
LenaLena
FIVE SIZZLING, THROBBING, FUCK ME NOW! STARS

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book SO MUCH!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!! I loved this book so much!!!!! Chris is so perfect. I have fallen in love with books. I have fallen in love with authors. But I have never fallen head over heals for a character! Chris! I love you!

I have read this book at least seven hundred times!
I LOVE IT! For all you Xander lovers out there....
you went for the wrong guy!! CHRIS ALL THE WAY!!!!!

The book that started a phenomenon and opened m...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book is everything a M/M romance should be. Amy Lane seriously raised the bar with this one.

I am usually not a huge fan of sports books. They either veer to the end of too buddy-buddy or they have too much sports info and I get bored. I'm not a sports fan in real life so I don't get anything extra from reading a book about guys in sports falling in love. However, Amy Lane just showed me how amazing this sub-genre can be.

I am completely in awe of this book. This book is epic. We follow Ch...more
Veronica / V
Heather C
After months and months and months of refusing to read this, I finally put on my big-girl-panties and decided to do it. And once I started it I could not stop. It kept me up into the wee hours or the morning. I took a little break for sleep but once I woke up I had to finish it.

Of course, like most of Amy's other books this is all angst, angst, and more angst. I think I may have laughed a handful of times but I guarantee you I cried more times than I laughed! These guys just broke my heart over...more
Molli B.
I was really looking forward to reading this, given the nearly five-star rating on Amazon; I was thinking if I had come here prior to reading it, I'd have been better prepared for it, but it has over 4.5 stars here, too.

I liked the storyline itself--boys who meet as teenagers, fall in love, stay together through challenging circumstances, and then run into issues when their private lives are in danger of becoming public. It's a really great plot with a ton of potential. I love sports, too, so I...more
Duchess Nicole
I see Amy Lane's name consistently popping up as a fantastic weaver of deeply emotional stories, and after reading this book, I agree. The cover looks atrocious, but I've learned over time to trust in my friends and not cover artist. So please don't let the cartoonish depiction of Xander and Christian.

The book's blurb says it perfectly:
Sara
So I thought when I was finished with this that I would write this great review but I realize that I can't. I am still numb. Amy Lane fucking kills me, I have said this many times.

I know I have a thing for boys in the closet but this hurt. This was more than being in the closet, this was..good lord. This hurt.

It hurt to know how Xander lived, wait...survived, before he met Christian that night on the court. It hurt to know that the only things this boy loved were Chris and Basketball and that...more
Kassa

I have mixed feelings about Locker Room. The premise honestly works for me as I adore angst driven men –it’s a weakness of mine- but the ending really disappoints me. I know not all readers will feel the same but I personally feel cheated. The book also tends to exaggerate and the emotions are wild and outrageous, always the depths of despair and the height of happiness. That doesn’t bother me as I like Lane’s writing and the story works regardless but not all readers may appreciate the...more
Wade
I do not think I've read a book that has ever wiped me out emotionally like this one has. (I mean, I write it, but rarely read it.) I tip my hat to Amy Lane. To write things like this can be just as exhausting as reading it. Sometimes I think more so because as authors, our characters are with us all the time. They become a part of our lives. In our heads, in our thoughts, with us throughout the day. Today, Chris and Xander were with me WAY after I finished reading the book.

I think this is one o...more
Grammy 1
Amy lane keeps getting better and better!!!!Where do I even begin to review this amazing story? So here is the thing….I was privy to this story during its inception….I was a Beta reader for Amy Lane, receiving Locker Room one chapter at a time…Being able to absorb this story slowly was wonderful.

Xander Karcek was made for greatness….He feels he would not have achieved this, if it wasn’t for his Chris, Christian Edwards. So lets start at the beginning.

At fourteen, and standing at 6 foot one, Xan...more
Kaje Harper
I read this book in one fast rush and then immediately turned back to the beginning and started it again. It just really worked for me. This is the story of two basketball players, Xander and Chris, who meet at the age of fourteen and never look at anyone else, never falter in their love for each other despite all the crap that a life in sports can and does hand to them. It's a little overwrought, the characters are polarized. (Xander's mom has no redeeming qualities at all, Chris's parents neve...more
deirdre
4stars ....

Great MCs
Great secondary chracters
The strength and beauty of this couple was most entertaining to read.I laughed, cried, and cheered!
Heart breakingly true that so many live a lie ...
And we need to do a better job taking care of our young people in crappy situations . . . Christian's family is a beautiful representation of how good we all should be . . .

I chose to read this Amy Lane this weekend in response to stupidity such as .....
I have not...more
Harper
There are so many things I could say about this book. So many things. I could talk about how much I loved the characters, or how envious I am of Amy Lane’s writing style because she’s so amazing, or how she creates these worlds and families that I just wish I could be part of. But what it boils down to, what my knee-jerk reaction was the moment I read the last line, is this: I fucking loved it. Start to finish, I adored it.

See, I run the whole gamut of emotions when I read something by Amy Lane....more
Mary
Xander and Chris share a bond that is so deep that it endures when it is tested by external forces as well as internal ones. The boys are a testament to true love and I will re-read this one again and again. My paperback is on it's way.
Akansha
Aug 29, 2012 Akansha rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf, m-m
Filled with pages and pages of gratuitous angst and convoluted/over the top curve balls thrown at the MCs just to put them through the wringer.
Bev
What is going on with these book covers?? I have to say for the record that I'm not a great fan of the extremely cheesy looking covers which publishers of this genre tend to use, in fact I'm not a fan at all! Why do the authors let them get away with it - ugh! This cover is a particularly bad example IMHO.

This review contains **Spoilers**

As far as the contents of the cover are concerned, a magnificent book, and for me, on a par with Amy Lane's other brilliant book 'Sidecar' which I also love.
Xan...more
BJ
Let me just say Amy, If you're reading this, you've truly outdone yourself :D

I thought Xander and Chris were one of the most touching couples i have ever read... I'm not ashamed to say that Xander's story had me on the brink of tears within the first 10 pages and the sincerity of their relationship had me openly weeping by the last chapter. I felt more connected to Xan than nearly any other literary figure I have yet to come across... the raw emotion brought on by the pain of an abusive home and...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
I am sorry it took me so long to read this book. I cannot remember the last time I became so emotionally involved with both mc's. The love Xan and Chris share is inspiring. I felt for Xan from the start, and Chris just jumped right in, took his hand and, aside from the struggles they both faced, held on until the end. Xan was unbelievably lucky to have found such a wonderful and giving friend and family.

I felt like I was holding my breath throughout a lot of this book anticipating what would ha...more
Lili
 photo image_zpse7d74609.jpg
This is the beautiful coming of age story of Xander and Chris. The two met when they were 14 on a basketball court. Xander grew up in the home with an addicted mother who was never there for him. Upon meeting Chris, Xander felt like he was salvation.

I'm at a loss as to what to what write because I feel like if I go beyond this point I'll be spoiling the feeling and emotion of the book and I don't want to do that for any future reader. Instead I will tell you that this is one of t
L-D
GAWD. Two chapters into this book and I am all choked up - WTH? I'm a tough ex-military chick. I don't get choked up - at least where other people can see, anyway. So I loved this book. Christian Edwards and Xander Karcek meet at the age of 14 and strike up an instant friendship on a basketball court. Xander is living a very rough life with a drug-addict for a mom, and no food to eat. The beginning of this book is very moving. Seeing where Xander comes from and what he has to do to survive is am...more
Lo-Lo
I think there must be something wrong with me... After the high praise this has received, I'm resigned to tell you all I didn't enjoy it, didn't see the allure, didn't have my heart ripped out of my chest; crushed and leaving me whimpering into a handkerchief. Or at least not for the right reason.

I'm fully prepared to admit that I may have set my expectations too high: when your GR network falls in love with a book, you naturally anticipate being sucked into that same dream. It's always rather d...more
Monika

WOW!! Just WOW!!!

I love this book.....I love these guys! Xander and Chris *sigh* what a beautiful journey Amy Lane took me on. She had me smiling, crying and a lot of times just going awwwww! This was a love story from start to finish that I didn’t want to end. Please I want more!!!

The only negative is the cover, I hate it, it doesn’t do the book justice! I say look past that cover and read Xander and Chris’s story, I will be reading it again and again!!!! *LOL*
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Where's my "Amy Lane fan-girl" shirt (girl 20 years ago, but I'm still a girl at heart)?

I think this book is not without flaws, because it has a few repetitions and I don't see much character development, but as far as romance goes, this is RRRRRomance. There's a lot of drama, it might be over the top, sometimes, but when I want to have my heart and guts all wrapped up into one, I know Amy Lane will deliver.

Xander-and-Chris' love story is of a pure and absolute love and dedication, even when the...more
Elizabetta

Man, you can’t deny that this just grabs your heart and squeezes it to bits… squeezes so hard, and leaves you a mess of tears.

And there’s the conundrum… Because while I did find the The Locker Room engaging, while I really liked Xander and Chris (how could you not), while I really wanted their HEA, it often felt like too much. Like there was a little too much laying on thick of the angst and the hurt and the pain. And a little too long in the telling of it.

But, really, if you want a sweet, heart...more
Leaundra
I really enjoyed this book but let me tell you know you will need kleenex. I would have been done sooner but I had to stop sometimes because some parts made me so angry. I was mad for both Chris and Xander that they had to hide their relationship. It was such a beautiful one and all the things they had to go through when they were hiding it was sometimes painful to read. I loved Chris but Xander had a piece of my heart in this book. Great great read by Amy Lane.
Amy
That was an epic love story! I loved every. single. word. Xander and Christian met on the basketball court when they were fourteen. And from that moment, Xander knows all he needs in his life are Chris and basketball. Locker Room follows them as they mature, play college ball, and then rise to fame playing together in the NBA. They deal with hate and bigotry, pain and distance, acceptance and true love. It was beautiful and emotional and I loved it!
Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Typical Amy Lane... Nice easy listen!

Audiobook
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I put off reading this book for such a long time because I heard certain things about it that I normally don't like to read about. Of course, like I'm sure every other person does, I blew these 'certain things' way out of proportion. I was expecting, and preparing myself, for something very specific and what I got instead was something completely different and nowhere near as bad as I thought.

This is a story about heartache and love. The kind of love that you'd do anything to keep, the...more
  • American Love Songs
  • Dance With Me
  • Take My Picture
  • Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1)
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • Caught Running
  • Between Sinners and Saints
  • Duty & Devotion  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #3)
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Frog
  • Superhero
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • Offside
  • Maybe With a Chance of Certainty (Tales from Foster High, #1)
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Finding Zach
  • Heart in Hand
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u...more
More about Amy Lane...
Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1) Talker (Talker, #1) Clear Water Truth in the Dark Chase in Shadow (Johnnies, #1)

“....and his head and shoulders were on the bed next to the boy who had captured his heart like cupped hands would capture a butterfly, and had never, ever clutched him too tight and never let him go.” 26 likes
“...if I was going to play this game and love it, it had to love me back.” 13 likes