Start by marking “Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Celebrities such as Courteney Cox and Laura Dern love Blackbird Bakery for its famously scrumptious gluten-free desserts. Now these same sweets can be yours too, thanks to this beautiful cookbook that collects 75 delicious recipes for classic desserts and gorgeous French pastries, all made without gluten. Celiac disease is on the rise (more than 3 million Americans and an ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Bev
Apr 02, 2012 Bev rated it it was ok
This was a rather fancy collection of gf baking recipes - definitely not the first book you want to try when learning how to bake gluten free. The flour blends, also, were ones that I don't normally use; I'd have to go out and buy bean flours, sorghum flours, etc.

If you're really into creative baking, high-end cupcakes, etc - think flying apron - then you'll like this book; otherwise, there are a lot more accessible resources out there.
Lee
Aug 22, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-other
I do believe we may have a winner! I'm off to the kitchen to test these beautiful, artful creations before deciding my 'Stars.'

When I was starting out GF, I was too scared to try all the weird flours used in GF baking recipes. I really was left feeling deprived (why I suddenly yearned for artisan bread I'll never know, since I didn't want it before I couldn't have it!), & while everyone else I knew enjoyed a delectable pastry at tea or rustic slab of bread with dinner, there I was, hoping to
Robin
Sep 02, 2011 Robin rated it liked it
4/2/11 Baked my first dessert from this book this morning - lemon bars. The lemon curd topping was just amazing. They could have been a little sweeter, but the actual recipe calls for Meyer Lemons, which I didn't use, and are sweeter than the standard variety, and that may have made the difference.

I had some trouble finding sorghum flour, so I used millet flour instead. The notes on ingredients at the start of the book are very helpful and I think my substitution worked fine. Again though, it i
Margaret
Maybe once or twice you might have heard me mention that my SisterB is allergic to wheat. Before this realization I never knew about a gluten-free way of life. I personally do not have a problem with wheat or gluten, but now gluten-free ingredients and recipes stand out to me. It's nice to know I'll have a few choices when my SisterB comes to visit rather than relying on her to fix the menu. (However she is an incredible cook, so that's not too bad when she does do the menu...)

The Blackbird Bake
Jade Geary
Jun 19, 2016 Jade Geary rated it really liked it
I can't wait to try and make the graham crackers!
Janet
Sep 29, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
YUM!
Amanda
Feb 10, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Excellent recipes, stunning pictures.
Katie
Feb 19, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
This book is like a class in food chemistry! I was given this book on my last birthday and I have learned so much from Karen Morgan since. She provides great information about why some ingredients may or may not work in a gluten free recipe. The recipes are great and the lesson in gluten free baking was a five star experience.
Jun 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Great book if you need to cook gluten-free.
Karen Morgan is VERY descriptive in how things should look and feel.
This is NOT, however, for the beginner cook.
Many of the recipes are quite labor intensive, but sooo worth the effort. Thus, the 4 stars.
Make sure you have all the ingredients before you start.
Tom
Apr 10, 2012 Tom is currently reading it
I picked this book because of the variety in it and being a Foodie getting the Celiac Diagnosis was Bad enough. Walking out of the store with this book was absolutely like a security blanket that my Foodie life was going to continue on =)
Jacquelyn
Aug 17, 2011 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
This book is amazing! Karen Morgan does a great job explaining the different types of gf flour and basic ingredients and how they can be used appropriately. I can't wait to bake from this book!
Katie
Feb 19, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook made me stretch my skills in the kitchen. I did have to hunt down some of the ingredients but once I had them in the pantry it made trying out these recipes and others a bit easier.
Kate
Jan 24, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodie
Great cookbook, but you have to have all sorts of generally unavailable ingredients to work with it. Still, gluten sensitive folks are used to hunting down generally unavailable ingredients . . .
Melissa
May 30, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Fantastic recipes! Finally a gluten-free alternative for desserts, breads, pies, etc. that actually work and taste great! I tried the lemon squares and the ginger cookies and both were great!
Carmen
Sep 28, 2011 Carmen rated it really liked it
Some ingredients are hard to find in Australia however it gives a recently diagnosed celiac hope for a great food future.
Elprice
Apr 27, 2013 Elprice rated it liked it
Not my favorite--its gluten free, but hard to adjust to dairy free and uses a lot of sugar
A
Nov 22, 2012 A rated it really liked it
Awesome gluten free recipes with the classics and some surprising additions.
Hannah
Feb 03, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best chocolate chip cookies ever!!
Donna
haven't tried a recipe yet
Victoria Geremia
Victoria Geremia marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
soleah staves
soleah staves rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Bee
Bee added it
May 21, 2016
Renee Rearden
Renee Rearden marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Liette
Liette marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Bette Bonder
Bette Bonder rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Stefanie Lindeman
Stefanie Lindeman rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jackie Johnsen
Jackie Johnsen is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef
  • Gluten-Free Baking Classics
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes
  • Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus