Start by marking “Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Celebrities such as Courteney Cox and Laura Dern love Blackbird Bakery for its famously scrumptious gluten-free desserts. Now these same sweets can be yours too, thanks to this beautiful cookbook that collects 75 delicious recipes for classic desserts and gorgeous French pastries, all made without gluten. Celiac disease is on the rise (more than 3 million Americans and an ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Bev
This was a rather fancy collection of gf baking recipes - definitely not the first book you want to try when learning how to bake gluten free. The flour blends, also, were ones that I don't normally use; I'd have to go out and buy bean flours, sorghum flours, etc.

If you're really into creative baking, high-end cupcakes, etc - think flying apron - then you'll like this book; otherwise, there are a lot more accessible resources out there.
Lee
I do believe we may have a winner! I'm off to the kitchen to test these beautiful, artful creations before deciding my 'Stars.'

When I was starting out GF, I was too scared to try all the weird flours used in GF baking recipes. I really was left feeling deprived (why I suddenly yearned for artisan bread I'll never know, since I didn't want it before I couldn't have it!), & while everyone else I knew enjoyed a delectable pastry at tea or rustic slab of bread with dinner, there I was, hoping to
Robin
4/2/11 Baked my first dessert from this book this morning - lemon bars. The lemon curd topping was just amazing. They could have been a little sweeter, but the actual recipe calls for Meyer Lemons, which I didn't use, and are sweeter than the standard variety, and that may have made the difference.

I had some trouble finding sorghum flour, so I used millet flour instead. The notes on ingredients at the start of the book are very helpful and I think my substitution worked fine. Again though, it i
Margaret
Maybe once or twice you might have heard me mention that my SisterB is allergic to wheat. Before this realization I never knew about a gluten-free way of life. I personally do not have a problem with wheat or gluten, but now gluten-free ingredients and recipes stand out to me. It's nice to know I'll have a few choices when my SisterB comes to visit rather than relying on her to fix the menu. (However she is an incredible cook, so that's not too bad when she does do the menu...)

The Blackbird Bake
Amanda Elliott Smith
Excellent recipes, stunning pictures.
Katie
This book is like a class in food chemistry! I was given this book on my last birthday and I have learned so much from Karen Morgan since. She provides great information about why some ingredients may or may not work in a gluten free recipe. The recipes are great and the lesson in gluten free baking was a five star experience.
Great book if you need to cook gluten-free.
Karen Morgan is VERY descriptive in how things should look and feel.
This is NOT, however, for the beginner cook.
Many of the recipes are quite labor intensive, but sooo worth the effort. Thus, the 4 stars.
Make sure you have all the ingredients before you start.
Tom
Apr 10, 2012 Tom is currently reading it
I picked this book because of the variety in it and being a Foodie getting the Celiac Diagnosis was Bad enough. Walking out of the store with this book was absolutely like a security blanket that my Foodie life was going to continue on =)
Jacquelyn
This book is amazing! Karen Morgan does a great job explaining the different types of gf flour and basic ingredients and how they can be used appropriately. I can't wait to bake from this book!
Katie
This cookbook made me stretch my skills in the kitchen. I did have to hunt down some of the ingredients but once I had them in the pantry it made trying out these recipes and others a bit easier.
Kate
Great cookbook, but you have to have all sorts of generally unavailable ingredients to work with it. Still, gluten sensitive folks are used to hunting down generally unavailable ingredients . . .
Melissa
Fantastic recipes! Finally a gluten-free alternative for desserts, breads, pies, etc. that actually work and taste great! I tried the lemon squares and the ginger cookies and both were great!
Carmen
Some ingredients are hard to find in Australia however it gives a recently diagnosed celiac hope for a great food future.
Elprice
Not my favorite--its gluten free, but hard to adjust to dairy free and uses a lot of sugar
Aubry
Awesome gluten free recipes with the classics and some surprising additions.
Donna
haven't tried a recipe yet
Bonny
Bonny marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kurea
Kurea marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Everyday Art of Gluten-Free: 125 Savory and Sweet Recipes Using 6 Fail-Proof Flour Blends Morgan Update: Please Forward: Choosing Hope, Joy and Vulnerability in the Midst of Crisis Conscious Beauty Conscious Beauty Graphic Novel You Might Be a Mama!: From the Stand-Up Comedy of Karen Morgan