Start by marking “Overcoming Perfectionism: The Key to a Balanced Recovery” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Perfectionism: The Key to a Balanced Recovery

Overcoming Perfectionism: The Key to a Balanced Recovery

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Perfectionism can be an obstacle to quality living, even when it appears to produce significant rewards. For those struggling with issues of intimacy, control, letting go, relaxing and enjoying life, this book offers practical guidance about "living in the middle."
Paperback
Published August 1st 1990 by HCI

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Perfectionism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Perfectionism

Kalem Wright
May 05, 2015 Kalem Wright rated it it was amazing
“Overcoming Perfectionsim” aims to describe behaviorally and psychologically what perfectionism is like, how it is impacted by attachment patterns in early life experiences, and how it can be brought to heel. Smith educates readers on distinguishing between overt and covert perfectionists and their own interactions with others through her experience serving adult children of alcoholics.

Smith’s wisdom resonated with me as I connected with myself while reading her words; I recognized patterns with
Audra
Nov 16, 2011 Audra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realized I'm more passive-aggressive than I realized.
Nita
May 19, 2010 Nita rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was recommended by a writer on Holly Lisle's How To Think Sideways forums for dealing with perfectionistic thinking that creates an obstacle to writing. So, I was a bit surprised that the book is actually about codependency and recovery from the kind of mental and emotional addiction that results from growing up in a dysfunctional family. Smith posits that perfectionism (whether overt or covert) has codependence at its roots. Because I've read tons and tons and tons and tons of litera ...more
Sharon Tan
Aug 03, 2015 Sharon Tan rated it did not like it
Though authentically written, the book constitutes what I find is common sensical content, without any particular noteworthy takeaway. An easily forgettable read.
Katy Dailey
Mar 27, 2015 Katy Dailey rated it really liked it
This was one of those reads where I kept finding bits and pieces of myself in the pages and was so happy to realize that I'm not alone.
Bree
Nov 03, 2010 Bree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting look at Perfectionism, with a heavy emphasis on its roots in co-dependency and abuse. A useful read even if just for the parenting chapter and the undesirable outcomes of perfectionism.
Sandra
Feb 13, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok
This book was a little too "textbook" for me. I wanted more real life strategies and less of the textbook diagnosis of codependency.

Lynda
Oct 17, 2010 Lynda rated it liked it
Perfectionism is perhaps the hardest part of addiction to face and accept.
Doris
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Farhad
Farhad marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
Jan 25, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Kim C Millspaugh
Kim C Millspaugh rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Lisette Walker
Lisette Walker marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Dian Dutro
Dian Dutro rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Leslie L Gordon
Leslie L Gordon rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2015
Kirti Billkhu
Kirti Billkhu marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Simon
Simon is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2015
Izabela Monick
Izabela Monick rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Faryal
Faryal marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Hsking
Hsking marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Anya
Anya rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Nov 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Anger Diet: Thirty Days to Stress-Free Living
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • So What?: How to Communicate What Really Matters to Your Audience
  • How to Sew: Basics
  • Boost Your Memory: Brilliant Ideas You Won't Forget (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Remember Why You Play
  • Stress-Proof Your Life: 52 Brilliant Ideas for Taking Control
  • 7 Ancient Keys to Happiness: A 90 Day, Lesson-a-Day Guide to Achieving Inner-Bliss
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • Divanomics: How To Still Be Fabulous When You're Broke
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • Get a Life, Not a Job: Do What You Love and Let Your Talents Work for You
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Zarrella's Hierarchy of Contagiousness: The Science, Design, and Engineering of Contagious Ideas