Start by marking “Overcoming Perfectionism: The Key to a Balanced Recovery” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Perfectionism: The Key to a Balanced Recovery

Overcoming Perfectionism: The Key to a Balanced Recovery

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Perfectionism can be an obstacle to quality living, even when it appears to produce significant rewards. For those struggling with issues of intimacy, control, letting go, relaxing and enjoying life, this book offers practical guidance about "living in the middle."
Paperback
Published August 1st 1990 by HCI

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Perfectionism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Perfectionism

Kalem Wright
“Overcoming Perfectionsim” aims to describe behaviorally and psychologically what perfectionism is like, how it is impacted by attachment patterns in early life experiences, and how it can be brought to heel. Smith educates readers on distinguishing between overt and covert perfectionists and their own interactions with others through her experience serving adult children of alcoholics.

Smith’s wisdom resonated with me as I connected with myself while reading her words; I recognized patterns with
Audra
I realized I'm more passive-aggressive than I realized.
Nita
This book was recommended by a writer on Holly Lisle's How To Think Sideways forums for dealing with perfectionistic thinking that creates an obstacle to writing. So, I was a bit surprised that the book is actually about codependency and recovery from the kind of mental and emotional addiction that results from growing up in a dysfunctional family. Smith posits that perfectionism (whether overt or covert) has codependence at its roots. Because I've read tons and tons and tons and tons of litera ...more
Sharon Tan
Though authentically written, the book constitutes what I find is common sensical content, without any particular noteworthy takeaway. An easily forgettable read.
Katy Dailey
This was one of those reads where I kept finding bits and pieces of myself in the pages and was so happy to realize that I'm not alone.
Bree
An interesting look at Perfectionism, with a heavy emphasis on its roots in co-dependency and abuse. A useful read even if just for the parenting chapter and the undesirable outcomes of perfectionism.
Sandra
This book was a little too "textbook" for me. I wanted more real life strategies and less of the textbook diagnosis of codependency.

Lynda
Perfectionism is perhaps the hardest part of addiction to face and accept.
Manon G
Manon G marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Shawna
Shawna added it
Jul 29, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Carol Washko
Carol Washko marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Cate
Cate is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Nayra Salamanca
Nayra Salamanca marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Angélique
Angélique marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Agada Melendez
Agada Melendez marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015