El lenguaje del cuerpo

El lenguaje del cuerpo

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  616 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Based on the premise that the movements of the body are the projection of a person's deepest and most private thoughts and feelings, this breakdown of movement creates a comprehensive analysis of the body's silent language. This scientific approach to body language argues that movement and gesture—signals constantly emitted by the human body—can be interpreted and understo...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Editorial Kairos (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about El lenguaje del cuerpo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El lenguaje del cuerpo

A.
The questions printed on the cover of this book is the reason for which I bought this book….and I did not find the answers in any page.

I guess this book’s body language is misleading.

As the writer stated at the end “Body language as a science is in its infancy, but this book has explored some of the ground rules…”
It’s an introductory book in body language, so don’t expect it to quench your thirst in this field.
David
Apr 06, 2008 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dave
Shelves: nonfiction
As an undergraduate, I took a course called Reading People and Places. We read a lot of Roland Barthes. We wandered (or, rather, walked briskly) around DC and looked at architecture. We looked at pictures of fashion models in magazines and read elaborate descriptions of the meanings of men's suits. And at some point we learned about the work of Dr. Edward Hall and his theory of "proxemics," or how men use space to communicate with each other. I learned a great deal from that class, though I don'...more
Jerry
Dec 04, 2010 Jerry rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who suck at Charades.
Recommended to Jerry by: Dave
This book is groundbreaking... if you read it 40 years ago. Now, it's just filled with obvious observations that any half-way paying attention person can make like, "If a woman is frowning then she may--or may not--be upset." Ok, maybe the book isn't that obvious, but you don't really want me to spoil all of it for you, do you?

But I do want to thank Julius Fast for giving me the line, "Nah, baby, I wasn't staring. I was just admiring your particular mode of nonverbal communication. It's very in...more
Shaikha_a_140514
It was interesting to read this book that really helps in our life and social one specifically . the writer previews Dr's opinions and studies about every movement we do and what does it mean in the body language . one of them says that if you were in a cafe and choose to set in the middle of an empty table , means that your body is saying " I don't want to share the table with anyone "
Natalie
I read the 4th edition (1971) and the cover was way more bitchin.

It has some serious "pc" issues, but served as an "at hand" (purchased used because the jacket is hilarious) introduction.

I'm sure there's a way better resource out there.
Caroline Åsgård
I really have to say, this book interested me a lot! The power of body language is much stronger than I thought, and now I have learned so much about interpreting it and being aware of what one does - and that your body can say the opposite of what is coming out of your mouth!

If you're interested in people and culture, this is really a book you should check out. It's not long, and isn't written in a heavy, scientific matter.

Now as I've moved from Norway to Florida to work at the Epcot world show...more
Emma Brown
If you want a book that tells you why you should learn body language, you've found what you're looking for — otherwise, this is a waste of your time.

I saved this book from being thrown away because I hoped I could glean some useful information about how to read (and, I confess, manipulate) body language. The questions on the cover suggested that the book would offer some helpful insight.

Unfortunately, the questions were a mere ploy to whet one's curiosity, not an actual offer to supply the answe...more
Ilze
What do I do with my hands??!!
Someone said I should keep an eye on my mother ... but that's the last person I want to be like ... so, having discovered a slick way out of my teenage conundrum, I read this book, which was neatly hidden in mom's bookshelf!
Bob Nichols
Fast's book, now very old (1971), provides an overview of the then emerging field of body language ("A science called Kinesics"). The book's organization is somewhat haphazard, with intermingled discussion about inner states that manifest themselves in body language and, from the reverse perspective, body language that reveals signals about internal states. A subtext to this book is not just what one can learn by observing, but also what body signals one can employ for more effective social inte...more
Michael
I remember this book from my childhood (dad had a copy), and as I got older, I developed an interest in learning to read people as well as books. After a disappointing fist go-round with Body Language 101 The Ultimate Guide to Knowing When People Are Lying How They Are Feeling What They Are Thinking and More, I was looking forward to reading Julius fast's pioneering book, and I was not disappointed.

Although the 43-year-old book is outdated to be sure, it was still an intriguing read pertaining t...more
Shara
One of the most common criticisms in writing workshops is there are too many smiling and eye verbs. What’s that? For those of you not in the know, it boils down to the fact that if there’s a gesture, the character usually smiles, or “does something” with his/her eyes. Narrowed eyes, glanced away, stared, etc. Any verb your eyes can do, or any description of eyes (fire raged within) falls under this category.[return][return]The reason writers do this is simple: we’re in the age of film. Movies an...more
Raghid
Julius Fasts ’’The Body language’’ is very simple. It simply provides a very simple introduction to the world of the ’’Body language’’. It is very simple and ‘’light’’ and nothing to complicated or overworked and the reason to that is perhaps that this field - the body language - was, upon the books release (1970), new. It was emerging.

Julius Fast basically gives you the basics - the ''easy'' introduction to the body language - and in the process he does discuss some good points regarding the b...more
S.K.
Dated material. Would love update in this new, casual, tech world.

Found some good nuggets in here to ponder for personal insight as well as writing characters.

Would prefer a more streamlined method of divulging the info...tables, lists, etc. It was hard to slog through the stories to get to the meat. In this regard, it came off as a "self-help" book.
Deejay Nicke
This is a great book that raises more questions than it answers. It's designed to pique your curiosity, not satisfy it.

This book will equip you with the foundation to go out and do your own experiments and observations. The book still hasn't been written on body language, so get out there and learn the language!
Nicky Abell-Francis
Excellent book on the art of reading how when our personal space is invaded our reactions are instant and unknown to us. Interesting read but sure I may not remember all the signs in conversation.
Chris brown
Read this yeeeeeeaaaarrrrssss ago going to have to reread and see how much things have changed
Becky
This book was okay; however, I did not think I learned anything new like I had hoped.
Nona
Although it was revised in 2002 it still seemed very outdated.
Hrbrujus
Very interesting and useful for good a good communication
Hector Soroa
Sidney
This book really helped me to read the little gestures and signs people give off. Considering that human communication is over 80% body language this book was a must. A solid read that definitely hit its mark. Great tips to think about especially when in an interview or talking to someone of authority in your life.
Jaime Contreras
This is one of the seminal books on the subject of who we transmit messages using our body. Parts of the book need to updated with the new research on para-messaging, how we say things. The body language is impacted by this. Still, this isa vital book for anyone with an interest in body language.
Praveen Sinha
All the research presented in this book are old for present times. It was from the time when Kinesics was in its infancy. Now it has matured considerably.
For my full review check my blog(may contain spoilers)
Tiago
Ahh! The classic! I reviewed a few other books here, but Julius Fast is definetly a legend when it comes to the study of Body Language. RECOMMENDED!
Cris
More about the *study* of body language, than an key to *understanding* body language. And you can tell this book was orginally published in 1970 from some of the examples and the language. It was okay, but not what I was looking for.
Joanne G.
I found this fascinating at the time. It helped to "read" people. I still use what I learned from this book. I can't remember if the book was well written or factual, but I know I was given knowledge that I hadn't considered before.
Vipin Goyal
I read this book long back when I was a college student. It was my first introduction to the world of body language. I think some gestures are universally common while others have different meaning in different cultures.
Jeremy
This has more of an anthropological approach than the Pease book. But in that respect, it is very well done. I recommend reading this book, but if you only read 1 book on body language, it should be the Pease's.
Holly
i read this a year ago, but from what i remember there's not lots of definitive info. that being said, i feel like i can read people's nonverbal cues more easily.
Robin
Fascinating especially after reading to watch people. I liked to observe behaviorisms in conversations. Some boring stuff, but quite informative.
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • Body Language: How to Read Others' Thoughts by Their Gestures
  • You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language
  • Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • Frogs Into Princes
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • Personality: What Makes You the Way You Are
  • Handwriting Analysis: Putting It to Work for You
  • My Voice Will Go with You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Erickson
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectitested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness Veness
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • Introducing NLP: Neuro-Linguistic Programming
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
Julius Fast was an American author of both fiction and nonfiction. In 1946 he was the first recipient of the Edgar Award given by the Mystery Writers of America for the best first novel of 1945.
More about Julius Fast...
The Body Language of Sex, Power & Aggression: How to Recognize It and How to Use It Body Language in the Workplace The League of Grey-Eyed Women The Pleasure Book Incompatibility of Men and Women, The