Start by marking “From the Earth to the Moon” as Want to Read:
From the Earth to the Moon
Read Book* *Different edition

From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages #4)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  13,560 ratings  ·  397 reviews
Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes t
Published March 2nd 2011 by Bantam Classics (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about From the Earth to the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Earth to the Moon

Mahsa Tahmasebi
وقتی راهنمایی بودم خوندمش، چهار ستاره واسه لذت اون موقع ها

The review from afar – No. 25

Re-revised forward to these overseas reviews:
Since emulating a yo-yo, I continue to rely on the old-style Kindle 3G for any non-technical reading. I tip my hat to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg: virtually every title I have or will be reading in the near future comes from them.

From the Earth to the Moon is one of the more famous stories by Jules Verne. In it he postulates how the technology of his time could place an object (eventually a manned object) on the su
For whatever reason I thought Verne would be a cumbersome read. However, he writes quite beautifully, and this novel is certainly a page turner. The story mainly consists of rather technical descriptions of the journey and the construction of the apparatus used. As a result, I would expect this book to be rather polarizing. Being as I like that sort of thing, this is just very high quality science fiction.
I love a bit of Jules Verne, I love the fact that he wrote so long ago, but his novels still shock and surprise me despite the fact that I'm surrounded by technology he couldn't have dreamed of. What he wrote about, would have been considered implausable at the time, but now that we can look back, he was very accurate in what he imagined.

From the Earth to the Moon is a fabulous example of this for many reasons. It tells the story of the Baltimore Gun Club and a few of it's members, who having re
Simple, but strange Newton's third law; if object A exerts a force on another object B, object B also exerts the same magnitude of force on object A. Perhaps this law is how rockets work. Jules Verne, before rocket was invented, seems to know this law probably but think a bit differently. The idea was making a gigantic cannon and shooting it to travel the moon. Maybe this idea looks absurd nowadays, but even as a modern person, I think this idea was remarkable.
The book is mostly about the "prep
I felt half tempted to start up a drinking game while I was reading this work of speculative fiction. Aware of the current state of spaceflight, I was fascinated by this fictional account of a time before the rocket had even been conceived of, much less been invented. Throughout the reading, I unconsciously tallied what Jules Verne got right and what he got wrong.

The premise of the book is that a club whose artillery hobby has been rendered irrelevant by the end of the Civil War seeks a new appl
Fantastic, fictitious, scientific and educational. I was surprised by the narrative style the author chose to adopt for a story of such a genre, but it certainly added to its appeal.
Based on the synopsis I expected a bit more of an adventure story and less of a scientific endeavour explaining the foundation of how to travel into outer space. However, considering my scientific background and interest in astronomy, I was greatly intrigued by the mystery and fascination of the moon the author infus
What makes From the Earth to the Moon so enjoyable is it's sheer earnestness. Entire chapters are filled with debates about figures and equations. Verne loves to write about all the details of his little thought experiment. This is very clearly his fantasy, and had he the money, I could imagine him attempting something like this.

However, it ends abruptly. The entire thing is about the construction of the great cannon that will fire the explorers to the moon. After launching them, there's one ch
Alec Glazier
I thought that this was a phenomenal book. I thought that the concept was spectacular because Verne takes a very unknown setting: the moon, and creates a journey that will open up new things the world. The plot line was a bit distorted because there was a late climax in Part I when the Columbiad is launched. There is an extremely graduate fall of the falling action, as there is a unexpected "spike," as it would look like on the plot line at the end of Part II, when the Columbiad lands. Although ...more
It's difficult to try and rate or review a book that is so old and far removed from today's context, but I'll try to say a few words.

This book was a fun adventure with a playful spirit infused in the writing. If you read it out of context, with a critical eye as to plausibility, you may be sorely disappointed. The feeling of the book is not overly serious. Verne doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, as he pokes fun at American ingenuity and makes the main explorers members of a Gun Club.
Varlık Özerciyes
Jules Verne öngörü gücü ve akiciligiyla animsanmistir. Ancak bu kitabinda başka bir yönünü farkettim. Bir gelistirme projesi aktivitesinde fizibilite, malzeme tedarik süreci ve özellikle planlama alanlarına verdiği önem. Bu kapsamda mühendis arkadaşlara tavsiye ederim.
Noha Basiouny

عجبتني أكتر من رواية جورج ويلز ، أي نعم المقارنة ما بينهم غير مجدية لأن الرواية دي محورها رحلة الوصول لسطح القمر (علي الرغم من أنهم ماوصلوش القمر أصلا ، دول عدوا من جنبه بس!) بس الكيفية نفسها عجبتني أكتر ، أما رواية ويلز بتحكي أكتر عن حياة المخلوقات القمرية فوق القمر مش عن الرحلة.

Mariel Zani Begoña
1.5 stars/ 1.5 estrellas

I didn't like it at all

No me gustó para nada

Let me tell you shortly why this is one of the worst „classics“ I have ever encountered: It reads like the 19th century equivalent of playing a boring management/tycoon-video game on the computer. Because, and I’m not kidding, this whole book is only about PLANNING a travel from the earth to the moon!
Thus, there isn’t any conflict at all, since it always goes like this: „Oh, so what exactly do we know about the moon?“ Chapter 5, there you go, boring facts about the moon. „Oh boy,
In questa graziosa bomba, chiusa da un coperchio a vite, fu introdotto dapprima un grosso gatto, quindi uno scoiattolo appartenente al segretario perpetuo del Gun Club e al quale J.T. Maston teneva in modo particolare. Si voleva sapere come questo animaletto, poco soggetto alle vertigini, avrebbe reagito a quel viaggio sperimentale.
Il proiettile arrivò rapidamente a mille piedi d’altezza, quindi cominciò la sua parabola discendente per inabissarsi poi nel bel mezzo della rada.
Non erano passati

Avveniristico per i suoi tempi, ma decisamente geniale.
Assolutamente improbabile, ma troppo divertente.
Piuttosto semplice, eppure così interessante!

Siamo nell'America post Guerra di Secessione, precisamente a Baltimora, dove ha sede il prestigioso Gun-Club, che ammette come soci soltanto coloro che hanno inventato un nuovo cannone, un nuovo fucile, una pistola, o una qualche arma da fuoco. Preferibilmente, comunque, un cannone.
All'inizio del romanzo molti eminenti soci, per cui la balistica è un
Otra parada más en mi viaje particular en la obra de este maestro, Julio Verne. Tercer libro que leo siguiendo el orden de publicación.

No paro de asombrarme acerca de las cosas que escribió, en el tiempo en que las escribió. Esta mención merecía un párrafo aparte.

La historia, centrada en los miembros de un club de artilleros, que según mi punto de vista son mas científicos que simples diseñadores de armas. Vemos cómo este grupo, centrado en el ambiente de la guerra, necesita de un nuevo desafío
Dominika Kaníková
first 100 pages were so boring i had expected something different ,more like a story about traveling to the centre of the world, for me there was just too much useless numbers that no one read and less actuall story but it was not fault of the book that i don't really like it, it was just about my wrong expactationes. it actualy amazes me how jules could come up with such a great ideas of how it could possibly happen.
Anna [Floanne]
Di Verne mi stupisce sempre la capacità che ebbe di immaginare e prevedere situazioni, scoperte, invenzioni che al suo tempo erano ancora lontanissime dall'essere realizzate. Anche questa avventura non è da meno e il bizzarro progetto di un gruppo di Americani appassionati di balistica di costruire un enorme cannone per lanciare un proiettile sulla Luna viene reso in modo così dettagliato e realistico da sembrare assolutamente plausibile. Il tutto, condito sempre da un velo di ironia che rende l ...more
There's just something special about classic literature. It has its own character and voice, and if you look you can find humor in unexpected places. Jules Verne is one of my favorite writers, and this little story was an exceptional read. I loved all the science and mathematics involved and was pleased to catch some humor weaved in the story.

Most of this story involves figuring out the how of going to the Moon: constructing the projectile, calculating what is needed and how much, gaining the fu
I had heard people talk about this book, but had never taken the time to read it. Written in 1865, it is amazing that Verne got most of the science right. The main difference between the book and the actual moon shot some 100 years later was the placement of the propulsion system. The dialogue seems rather basic and the book is probably geared to more of a middle school type audience. The explanations of all the problems to be overcome and the discussions of the solutions became tedious at times ...more
not at all the fairy tale I expected. but the two stars are completely subjective and only reflect my personal liking, although I realize it is a marvelous book for its time. deeply descriptive and scientific, recommended only for science lovers, not a children's book or fantasy.
Ola Ouda
مات جول فيرن ولم يدرى أن روايته للخيال العلمى والتى كتبها قبل قرنين من الزمان أصبحت تقرأ الآن على أنها تجربة علمية ناجحة لمجموعة من العلماء درسنا صنيعهم فى كتبنا !
فهل ياترى هؤلاء العلماء قد صعدوا القمر بإلهام من رواية جول فيرن أم أن صاحبنا كان بارعا فى التنجيم !!!
Rosario Villamor
Verne's novel of an American gun club is both funny and informative. On one hand, he tries to do the necessary calculations of the escape velocity of the rocket, dimensions of the rocket, etc. On the other, he effortlessly tells the story with a bit of humour, including disputes between the gun club's president, Barbicane, and his old enemy, Captain Nicholl (who was actually doing the correct analysis and who was giving out the right information).

I found the story funny and ridiculous, but if I
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I can't believe I spent my 16 years of life without reading this. Ahh I'm going to read all of my dad's oldies, this book was one of his favorites when he was younger so It makes it more special to me, I love my dad and he is pure role model material. The science was one of the things that I loved the most about this book, the astronomy, the physics, it was so cool, and the whole concept was just hilarious and clever. Jules Verne rocks. Yes I said that, no regrets

Besides, thi
Ell Eastwood
This book is bizarre, but (mostly) in a good way. The plot is literally that a bunch of dudes are sad because they like to make guns (they're called The Gun Club), but there are no more wars so no one needs guns and now they are bored, so they decide to go to the moon instead. This might sound extreme but this is just how the average man thinks.

There's a lot of tech babble in the book, which I'm assuming is like 56% inaccurate or so. It just seems that most of it cannot be true, even if it was b
Alex Bergonzini
Sorprendente. Esa es la palabra: sorprendente. Escondido en la novela se encuentra un compendio histórico y científico, un perfecto manual para hacerte tu mismo el trasto para llegar a la luna. Con una historia sorprendente que envuelve al viaje y sus personajes de lo mas variopintos, en los años 1800 donde la ciencia no estaba tan avanzada como el orgullo y el honor del ser humano.

Cuando inicias el relato vas con una idea predeterminada y te sorprendes pensando que no es el libro que te imagina
Although not one of Verne's better science fiction stories, From the Earth to the Moon does have its moments. What is humorous about this book is Verne's depiction of Americans circa late 1800. These depictions ring true even today as the plot centers around a group of ego-inflated members of a gun club. These members, many of which were Civil War cannoneers and artillerymen, find life following the war to be boring. So, they decide to build a giant gun, point it at the moon, and fire in hopes t ...more
Benjamin Kahn
Not much of a story here. The Baltimore Gun Club decides to build a cannon to shoot a projectile to the moon and they do it. That's pretty much it. A lot of the book is taken up with scientific calculations for the projectile, myths and facts of the moon, and a debate on whether the moon has an atmosphere. The calculations for the projections are done in advance by the president of the gun club, who then takes several chapters letting the gun club debate the logistics while presenting them with ...more
SciFi Book Club: From the Earth to the Moon 8 12 Sep 23, 2014 08:11AM
SciFi Book Club: Verne and the US 5 11 Sep 23, 2014 08:09AM
The Evolution of ...: September Group Read: From the Earth to the Moon 20 49 Oct 04, 2013 09:55AM
سفر به ماه 1 7 Dec 02, 2012 01:55PM
سفر به ماه 1 4 Dec 02, 2012 01:55PM
  • The First Men in the Moon
  • A Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Troll Illustrated Classics)
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • The Talisman
  • Three Tales
  • The Corsican Brothers
  • Il corsaro nero
  • Les Caprices de Marianne
  • The Last Man
  • A Murky Business (Penguin Classics)
  • The Humanoids
  • Bug Jack Barron
  • R Is for Rocket
  • The Bells of Bicetre
  • The Kinsman Saga
  • The Adventures of Baron Münchausen
  • Odd John
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City
  • The Blockade Runners
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa
  • The Fur Country
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)

“How many things have been denied one day, only to become realities the next!” 22 likes
“Well, I feel that we should always put a little art into what we do. It's better that way.” 14 likes