Start by marking “Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)” as Want to Read:
Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)

Wolfheart (World of Warcraft #10)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,492 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
In the wake of the Cataclysm, conflict has engulfed every corner of Azeroth. Hungering for more resources amid the turmoil, the Horde has pressed into Ashenvale to feed its burgeoning war machine. There, acting warchief Garrosh Hellscream has employed a brutal new tactic to conquer the region and crush its night elf defenders, a move that will cripple the Alliance's power ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Gallery Books

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie GoldenJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb
Warcraft
14th out of 45 books — 54 voters
Cycle of Hatred by Keith R.A. DeCandidoRise of the Horde by Christie GoldenTides of Darkness by Aaron RosenbergBeyond the Dark Portal by Aaron RosenbergNight of the Dragon by Richard A. Knaak
World of Warcraft
10th out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Markus
Aug 17, 2016 Markus rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, warcraft, 2016
Garrosh Hellscream, newly appointed Warchief of the Horde, is preparing a grand invasion of Ashenvale while Tyrande Whisperwind is desperately struggling to preserve the unity of the Alliance. The induction of the worgen of Gilneas is under threat by the unforgiving animosity of Varian Wrynn, King of Stormwind.

Wolfheart might just be the best book I've read from Richard A. Knaak. The writing is better and it provides an insight into many minor aspects of Warcraft lore that I'm glad to have.

And o
Ahmad Sharabiani
Wolfheart (World of Warcraft #10), Richard A. Knaak
Mostafa
Jun 08, 2012 Mostafa rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
When Thrall left the horde to heal the world, Garrosh, son of Grom HellScream became warchief and start an attack to Ashneval. Furion and Tyrande was trying to gather the alliance and re-unite them, but Varian Wrynn, king of Stromwind denied joining Worgen of Gilneas to the alliance.

There is no much history about this clan, but it seems that they were infected by forsaken (Sylvanas) and became wolves. Then they found a way to control their anger and found tranquility, with the help of Furion, t
Allie
Jul 19, 2014 Allie rated it it was ok
The title's a bit misleading, as I was expecting the story to revolve around the worgen, when in fact this was a very heavily Night Elf-based story..even though it's technically about King Varian Wrynn.

I'm mixed on whether I actually liked this novel, versus liking it purely because of its rich involvement of the Night Elves (of whom I'm very fond of). While I enjoyed the overall concept of the story, I feel Knaak majorly lacked ability at portraying the characters' personalities. Being a long-
Kae
Oct 02, 2011 Kae rated it liked it
Definitely one of Knaak's better Warcraft novels. The prose seems less flowery and the characterizations a bit more dimensional. The action scenes were too long in some cases but not as bad as usual.

I wasn't expecting this novel to be so focused on the night elves, given the title of "Wolheart". I found it interesting seeing the night elves begin to deal with their mortality. The entire battle setup in Ashenvale rather bored me though.

This novel brought together almost all the Alliance leaders
Rachel
Jan 21, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warcraft
Another audible.com audio book here. Yay!

When you see the title Wolfheart, coupled with piercing human eyes, you think "My name is Varian Wrynn, but I am also Lo'Gosh." And you would be right, except Varian's story is not the plot of this book. The plot is the Horde's encroachment into the Night Elves' Ashenvale led by Garrosh Hellscream. Varian is a major player and even the key to saving Ashenvale, but he is in the book much less than one would think. Varian's story is more focused on his inte
Jeremy
Sep 25, 2011 Jeremy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Warcraft Universe fans
My opinion on this book is somewhat divided. I enjoyed the exploration of the Night Elves shift in culture on the heels of becoming mortal after thousands of years of relative immortality (never sickening or growing frail due to age and infirmity, with only violence possibly ending their lives). It was interesting seeing how they coped with the first death due to age and infirmity amongst their race, this on the heels of a cultural shift ending their self-imposed exile from the world at large.

On
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I'm sure I've said before that I would never read another World of Warcraft book by Richard A. Knaak, and yet here we are once again. I guess I just never learn my lesson.

Of course, I had my reservations, but my interest in the game's lore and characters won out in the end, especially since I discovered from the title and description that this book was going to be focused on King Varian Wrynn. I never really cared much for him as an in-game NPC, but after reading the World of Warcraft comics he
Mohamed
Sep 23, 2011 Mohamed rated it it was amazing
While the World of Warcraft books never really set the bar (or even approached it) when it comes to fantasy writing, this one is amongst the better, more engaging ones. It really speaks volumes when someone who's a big fan of the Horde such as I would be engrossed in the happenings of the war in Ashenvale and cheering for the hapless Night Elves. A most worthwhile read.
Shirosaki Ogihci
Apr 15, 2012 Shirosaki Ogihci rated it it was amazing
I thought it was intresting that they brought the worgan in as the enemy at first, not giving many hits that it really was a worgan. Though I wish they would've spent less time focusing in on the night elves, overall, it was a rather enjoyable book.
Dana
Apr 07, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. My first WoW lore book and I have to say it was really interesting delving into the lives and history's of the characters I've come to know by name only.
Khristie
Jun 07, 2012 Khristie rated it it was amazing
Richard A. Knaak did not lose my interest w/ this novel. :)
Jack Leone
Jul 19, 2013 Jack Leone rated it it was amazing
Great Warcraft book, Nice to finally see Varian King of Storwind in all his glory.
Candace
Oct 12, 2011 Candace rated it it was amazing
Another good book I read entirely too fast.
Pavel Kolev
Nov 22, 2016 Pavel Kolev rated it liked it
Well, the good thing about the book is that it is the last Knaak's book that I will EVER read. That's why I'm giving it one extra rating star. Yet another total story mess and bad battles/combat telling. The author succeeded in making me dislike the night elves storyline and before reading the Knaak's book that was my favourite.
C.T. Phipps
Jan 17, 2016 C.T. Phipps rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I like Richard A. Knaak's writing. This is something which often puts me at odds with myself because the two of us approach World of Warcraft very well. For one, he's a professional writer for it and I'm just a disenchanted fanboy. His WOW writings tend to be good vs. evil, I prefer moral ambiguity. He likes the Night Elves as noble, decent, good guys. I prefer them as wild savages which look down on lesser races. He likes Malfurion, I like Illidan.

Now, after Wolfheart, I can say that I prefer
Jeremy Warren
Oct 06, 2016 Jeremy Warren rated it really liked it
Good Read... heavy night elves based but includes Worgan and Humans. Varian becomes the hero/leader the Alliance needs him to be.
Nayari
Jun 08, 2015 Nayari rated it really liked it
Mowing through the World of Warcraft series, I am finding common patterns in way certain people write. Richard Knaak has written stories I enjoy. I like his books. But I find my eyes glazing over sometimes during his battle scenes. Writing battle scenes is a challenge for an author, because you have to decide if you want to go blow by blow or somewhat blanket coverage. Knaak goes blow-by-blow (which for this series would be the better choice), but he seems to write battles with constant ...more
Scott Callaway
Oct 21, 2011 Scott Callaway rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, warcraft
While not the most exciting of the Warcraft novels, Wolfheart does a good enough job on exploring some issues that I hadn't previously put a lot of thought into, but did wonder about. But would I recommend this novel to just anybody? Definitely not. This is a novel strictly for fans of Warcraft lore.

Issues like the Night Elves renewed mortality and the obvious effects it brings them as a race, the duty driven Maiev has finally made a reappearance since her the final battle with Illidan had taken
Chaelea
Jan 19, 2013 Chaelea rated it liked it
I'm only rating this 3 stars because the story itself was excellent. The writing, not so much. I'd been warned against Knaak books, but unfortunately I had already bought it and damnit I was going to read it.

The storyline is great, but he has great source material so there's that. However the writing has glaring flaws that detract from the reading itself.

I have a lot of patience for typos in fledgling authors; I really loved Shotgun Gravy and Bait Dog because of the intensity and the style, even
Lissibith
Nov 20, 2012 Lissibith rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, novel
What a terrible book.

First of all, I came into this expecting to read about King Varian. What I got was a lot of over-the-top lolworthy night Elf melodrama, a sort of fantastical soap opera.

Well, that's not ALL, I guess. Some other things I got in this novel:

1. Flat characters who were largely uninteresting and often oddly morose.
2. Plot "twists" so telegraphed they may as well have just printed them on the back cover.
3. Wooden dialogue which I guess is appropriate given the previously mentione
Krysztina
Jul 08, 2016 Krysztina rated it liked it
Shelves: warcraft, fiction, fantasy
Leave it to Knaak to title a book Wolfheart, put Varian Wrynn on the cover, then make nearly all of it about the Night Elves.

As far as WoW novels are concerned, this one wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that great, either. The prose is flat (as I've come to expect), and the repeated use of words such as 'Unfortunately' and 'I am sorry to say...' is mildly irritating. The characters' dialogue is virtually indistinguishable and peppered with hammy clichés.

The writing isn't nearly as disappointin
Toeni
Jul 04, 2015 Toeni rated it really liked it
This is a hard one to review. While I did enjoy reading it, I found the title to be misleading. The story was primarily driven by the Night Elf community. Although, it kind of explains a little about where the Night Elves were throughout the previous wars with the Horde, I would have liked to know why they think so highly of themselves. I also would have liked to learned more about the history of the Worgen. After reading it, I did understand the title was about King Varian and how he reconciles ...more
Andre
Jan 01, 2012 Andre rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, beastmen
This book has the typical Knaak style I aleady know from War of the Ancients and Night of the Dragon. However this time the big magic is rather concentrated in the blessing of Varian Wrynn by the Wolf Ancient Goldrin.
Again Knaak captures characters very well and shows the world rather in different shades than pure black and white.
It is also again interesting how much the physical description of Night Elf and Worgen differs from their portrayal in the game (e.g. Night elf males much more slimmer
Deluge
May 27, 2014 Deluge rated it it was ok
Wolfheart takes place in Darnassus and Ashenvale, following the night elves against a new strike by the Horde, while simultaneously having to deal with conflicts within the Alliance. Most of the book follows either battles in Ashenvale, or the investigation of the assassination of some Highborne in Darnassus while an Alliance summit is taking place to let Gilneas a new ally.

As far as lore goes, it is very interesting, which is what made me want to read it. I love the Warcraft story, especially t
Samantha
Sep 25, 2015 Samantha rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars.

I liked this book mostly because it filled in a lot of lore holes that I hadn't realized I was missing. I had no inkling that it was difficult to get the worgen into the Alliance, or considered how terrifying it'd be to accept allies that transform into howling worgen at a moment's notice. I also enjoyed having a better insight into the attitudes throughout the Alliance.

I've put off reading more of Richard Knaak's Warcraft novels because some of his turns of phrase annoy me like cr
Grace
Oct 04, 2011 Grace rated it it was ok
Rather disappointing, surprisingly. It felt more like the sub-plots from a much bigger story, probably due in large part to the fact that the only arc that gets truly resolved is the only one that, if you play the games, you already know will get resolved. (view spoiler) ...more
Alexandra
Jan 04, 2015 Alexandra rated it liked it
Out of all the Warcraft novels I've read this would probably be the weakest. I'm not sure why though, it just didn't seem all there (maybe it was bit rushed?). Maybe it's because I'm not fully invested into an Alliance based story so I was a bit disinterested.

But there was a major character flaw I found in this novel, King Varian Wrynn. I just despised his characterisation. I found him quite petulant and unnecessarily conflicted when most of the Alliance problems could be promptly solved. Especi
Dustin Ogan
Sep 25, 2014 Dustin Ogan rated it really liked it
I think this book is great for a very particular audience. That being those that play or have played World of Warcraft the past couple of years. Being familiar with the main characters and their depictions made it a lot easier to follow and visualize what was going on or who was speaking. Because they all have in game representations a google search can give you most of the creatures and figures mentioned.

The book itself has 3-4 slightly related plot lines going on. A brother and sister interac
Jeremiah Johnson
Jul 12, 2012 Jeremiah Johnson rated it liked it
This was certainly better than Knaak's last couple of books. The characters were fun and interesting.
I don't think the story line about the Highborne really fit in, but the other two story lines were good. It certainly pushed the conflict between Garrosh's Horde and the Alliance far better than the abysmal Cycle of Hatred book. We don't really see much of Garrosh's motivations for attacking Ashenvale, but it still works.
The worgen story was also well done. I never really understood or cared abou
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 3
  • Warcraft: Shaman
  • Warcraft Legends, Volume 5
  • Warcraft: Death Knight (World of Warcraft)
  • Illidan (World of Warcraft, #14)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of WarCraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)