Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Titan Books))

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  3,453 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
In deference to Sherlock Holmes’s wishes, Dr Watson kept the tale of The Giant Rat of Sumatra a secret. However before he died he arranged that the bizarre story of the giant rat should be held in the vaults of a London bank until all the protagonists were dead....

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s timeless creation returns in a new series of handsomely designed detective stories. T
Published March 15th 2011 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
This is a good mystery novel, but not a consistently authentic Holmes pastiche; there are a few little nuances to the portrayal of Holmes that don't ring true. These include Holmes merely smiling and pausing when a client interrupts his exposition with an emotional remark, Holmes being anxious to arrive at a garden party on time, adjourning for a game of croquet there after - crouquet? - have we wandered into an Edwardian comedy?

The story itself is pretty thrilling, it's a sort of sequel to The
Bev
Synopsis: Among all the tantalizing mysteris of Sherlock Holmes, none is more famous than the great untold story of The Giant Rat of Sumatra. A tale that according to Richard L. Boyer involes a mysterious ship lying at the London docks with a terrifying beast caged in the hold; a night of fire and terror & a dead sailor who was on his way to consult with Holmes; a beautiful young woman abducted and held for ransom; and Watson captured by a madman with Holmes powerless to help. No wonder the ...more
Jonathan
Nov 23, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlock-read
Richard L. Boyer shows great affection for his source material, with this intriguing little book, which contains many references and influences from Arthur Conan Doyle’s original tales. The premise of a so called mythical creature being used to brutally kill invites obvious comparisons with The Hound of the Baskervilles.
Often referred to throughout, it could have been a mistake to write a story so similar to The Hound of the Baskervilles, which is probably the most well-known Sherlock Holmes
Mark Glover
Feb 02, 2015 Mark Glover rated it it was amazing
I was uncertain about this, though coming across this relaunched series in the bargain bin I was convinced enough to take a gamble and was glad that I did. The book maintains the tone of your classic Sherlock Holmes story making the deliberate(and wise in my opinion) choice not to mess with the formula. Therefore we have the story told by Watson, a preface telling us that the story had been held aside until the people who were involved had passed, all played out in a tone almost indistinguishabl ...more
M Christopher
Mar 03, 2012 M Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wish I could give this one a three and a half star rating. Liked it fairly well and may well read it again in the future. A pretty good example of the serious Holmes "pastiche" -- written with care by an award-winning mystery writer and a pretty good yarn. There were a couple of points at which I thought, "Conan Doyle wouldn't have written THAT," but only a couple. The plot is rather derivative, sort of a sequel to one of the canonical works, as the reader will discover. But an entertaining and ...more
Mary
May 12, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
This was pretty good. I enjoyed the pace, twists & turns. My only complaint is that there was alot of wrapping up at the end where Sherlock has to explain what happened. Some of that is OK, but when the reader is kept in the dark to that extent, I think the author didn't quite do his job.

This story involes a mysterious ship lying at the London docks with a terrifying beast caged in the hold; a night of fire and terror & a dead sailor who was on his way to consult with Holmes; a beautifu
Riju Ganguly
Jun 19, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it
Better than most other Sherlockian pastches, definitely the best one involving "THE" giant rat of Sumatra, involving the second-most nefarious (and definitely most dangerous, but out-of-London, keeping Sebastian Moran's place intact) villain in Sherlockiana. Recommended for its Victorian settings, gothic scenes, flawless language (you almost believe that this is actually one of Doyle's better efforts) and action-packed climax.
Giulia
Jul 13, 2016 Giulia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich hatte keine allzu hohen Erwartungen an dieses Buch, da es kein "originaler" Holmes ist, wurde allerdings eines Besseren belehrt. Die Geschichte von der Risenratte aus Sumatra war sehr spannend und wich im Stil nicht viel von den "originalen" Geschichten ab.
Die Dialoge zwischen Watson und Holmes waren mein Highlight.
Amaya
Apr 23, 2013 Amaya rated it it was amazing
I could hardly put it down! An intense, fast paced, compelling read, full of plot twists, challenges, and puzzles worthy of Conan Doyle himself! I highly recommend it!
Roger
May 05, 2017 Roger rated it really liked it
Some background for the non-initiated: the original novels and short stories written about Sherlock Holmes by his creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, are typically referred to as " The Canon." Holmes is arguably one of the most, if not the most, popular fictional characters in all of literature. There have been innumerable books, television shows, and films about Holmes and his equally fictional chronicler Dr. John Watson, not to mention non-fiction analyzing every aspect of Holmes' life.

In the co
Mabji
May 15, 2017 Mabji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Großartig!
Ich habe nur einen kleinen Kritikpunkt, nämlich dass dieser Fall sich eigentlich vor der gemeinsamen Zeit von Sherlock und Watson ereignete. Das hat der Geschichte aber keinen Abbruh getan, eher im Gegenteil!
Ich freue mich schon auf den nächsten Band!
Rog Harrison
I am not sure why I continue to read stories about Sherlock Holmes! This is not a bad take on Conan Doyle's style but sadly I did not find the story satisfying.
Truly
Mar 12, 2017 Truly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Aku seorang amatir dibidang zoologi, tetapi aku juga tahu bahwa dikepulauan Jawa.adadua species yang unik: yang satu adalah badak, sedangkan yang lain adalah cecak raksasa yang dinamakan komodo. Memang bukannya tidak mungkin, tuan-tuan bahwa pedalaman dari salah satu pulau tadi menyembunyikan salah satu ras dari bintang mengerat raksasa?"

Dan ternyata yang dimaksud tikus adalah binatang.......(baca ya)

Menemulan buku ini di lapak ol. Karena kata Sumatra yang membuat buku ini maauk dalam keranjang
Khairul H.
Sep 07, 2011 Khairul H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
(This review is an excerpt from the review of the same book which appears in my blog The Malaysian Reader.)

The novel opens with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson rushing to a site where a man has been found murdered (and what made the pair rushed to the place without being summoned by Scotland Yard is due to a brilliant piece of deduction of Holmes’ that would make Conan Doyle nod at Boyer with approval). Holmes quickly surmised that the dead man was in fact on his way to 221B Baker Street when he
Zoe Glanville
Feb 27, 2017 Zoe Glanville rated it it was amazing
an absolute masterpiece and one I think that even Arthur conan doyle would have been proud to write and it answers so many questions from both the Hound of The Baskervilles and also that tantalising bit in one of the Holmes stories with regards to the Giant Rat of Sumatra. This is definitely a tale worthy of the Sherlock Holmes stories. A definite must read for avid fans of Sherlock Holmes stories and love the idea of john Watson producing these stories after the events.
Ian Anderson
Sherlock Holmes is a very popular character so it is not surprising that there are Sherlock Holmes stories written by authors other than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The Giant Rat of Sumatra is a Sherlock Holmes story by Richard L Boyer. Like the original stories the narrator is Dr Watson and the story is set during the period when Holmes and Watson shared the flat in Baker St. Some familiarity with the original stories is assumed, which is not unreasonable. As the title suggests the mystery that Wat ...more
Ed
Apr 26, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
A 1976 Sherlock Holmes pastiche by Rick Boyer, who would go on to write the Doc Adams series of thrillers. There is no accounting for taste, and you may love or hate this effort, depending on your tolerence for Sherlockiana.

Sherlock Holmes pastiche - Dr. Watson arranged for the publication of this tale to take place after all the people named has deceased. Holmes and Watson are drawn to the murder of a seaman, who had been trying to reach them with a tale os a giant rat. Holmes looks into the st
Elderberrywine
Dec 24, 2012 Elderberrywine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holmes
Bravo! Very nicely done. And really, can't we assume that these days the Tale of the Giant Rat of Sumatra will cause no loss of sleep in even the gentlest of readers? So lead on, Watson, do tell all! ;)

Apparently, this is part of a series (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) from the '70s which which I am unfamiliar. The book-length tales are written by various authors, but if they are all of the caliber of this one, it warrants further investigation. This appears to be a recent reprint,
Arabis
Apr 30, 2011 Arabis rated it really liked it
I'm not normally a fan of authors writing continuations of another author's characters, but I'm willing to make an exception for Sherlock Holmes - especially since it dealt with this case that is only ever referred to by Conan Doyle. The story was enjoyable and felt pretty true to Conan Doyle. There seems to be a series of these 'Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' books by different authors, I hope the rest of them live up to this one.
Michael Brown
A bit of a stretch to say that this tale was so frightening and disturbing that Watson only hinted at it and never published a full account. The story is a good story and again we have a character thought dead returning to seek revenge upon Holmes and Watson. But there is little real terror. Another in the long running series of modern authors plugging in Holmes tales that is overall well done but not spectacular.
robyn
Mar 20, 2011 robyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: sherlockiana
So-so. Like most pastiches of average quality, it relies heavily on Doyle's own earlier stories. The Victorian flavor of the story isn't bad at all, but it decidedly lacks spice. And while Holmes' characterization isn't terrible, it's very hard to imagine him saying (in Doyle's hands) anything like, "we mustn't be late for the garden party," or "How about a game of croquet?"

Nope!

Not the worst I've read by far. But not fun, and a good SH always provides that.
Ceejay
Mar 14, 2014 Ceejay rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a Sherlock Holmes novel written in the style of Arthur Conan Doyle, then this is your book! It's a good read,an exciting read. I would point out that you need to have read some of the original stories to appreciate this book completely. I don't do spoilers, so I can't tell you which one. You'll know once you get into the story. Three cheers for Richard L. Boyer for a job well done.
Charlotte
Aug 16, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
I am the sort of person who tries to deduce what is going to happen before it happens and to my utter delight this book took me by surprise (that doesn't happen as often as you would think). Holmes and Watson's relationship is captured wonderfully yet he also captures them as individuals perfectly. The writing kept me totally immersed in the story, definitely one of my utter favourite stories outside of the originals, I can't wait to see what else he has witten
Mike  Davis
May 07, 2012 Mike Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, crime
This is one of the better Sherlock Holmes pastiches, of which there are hundreds. The giant rat is a case mentioned by the original author, Doyle, but never written up for publication. Author Boyer picks up the topic and creates a credible account of the story. It is a good, quick read with the requisite character detail for Holmes and Watson and worthy of any Holmes fan.
Charon
Feb 03, 2012 Charon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Funny how mental images can change. When I last read something Sherlock Holmes, he looked like a cross between the ilustrations and Jeremy Brett in my mind ... this time it was like the cast of Sherlock had a run in with the costume department of the Guy Ritchie movies. My mind somehow fails to imagine Martin Freeman with a moustache though. Probably not a bad thing ;-)
Kay
Mar 20, 2009 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This wasn't a bad interpretation of 'The Giant Rat of Sumatra' case; one that is mentioned in the Sherlock Holmes stories as one that the world is not yet ready for. I definitely enjoyed the plot and the style fits in well with the original novels. I'm sure other Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy it too!
Kate
Jul 02, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
The Giant Rat of Sumatra story is the most famous allusions in the canon and this really delivers on the idea. A giant rat on a boat linked with the kidnapping of a politician's daughter that ends with a surprising villain and a climax that is certainly heart stopping. It's a fantastic Holmes pastiche but also a great read as a mystery. Very much enjoyed it :)
Margaret
Sep 24, 2013 Margaret rated it liked it
A pretty good Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

Several bad spelling and grammar errors, combined with Holmes and Watson playing croquet, prevented me awarding this 4 stars. I can forgive the out of character croquet, but not the errors.

An interesting read all the same, however.
Bre
Feb 01, 2012 Bre rated it it was amazing
reading right now. Pretty good.
Update:! This is an amazing book!! It really picks up toward the end. I'm glad I picked up this one, as I can't shine the other books in this series are any better. Highly recommend. The author really does Holmes right.
Natasha
Nov 23, 2014 Natasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I spotted this book in the library and although I normally avoid the "new" Sherlock Holmes stories I was tempted by this one.

Despite the fact that the Holmes in this book was quite different to Conan Doyle's Holmes, I did enjoy the story and read most of it in one go.
  • The Man from Hell (Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Paperback))
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
Aka Rick Boyer.

Richard Lewis Boyer (b. 1943 - ) is an American writer, best known for series of crime novels featuring Charlie "Doc" Adams, a dental surgeon in New England. His novel Billingsgate Shoal received the Edgar Award for best novel in 1983.

Boyer was born in Evanston, Illinois. He majored in English at Denison University and earned an MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Iowa, stu
More about Richard L. Boyer...

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Titan Books) (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Angel of the Opera
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy

“Remember; pessimists are surprised as often as optimists, but always pleasantly.” 0 likes