Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Titan Books))

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  2,576 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In deference to Sherlock Holmes’s wishes, Dr Watson kept the tale of The Giant Rat of Sumatra a secret. However before he died he arranged that the bizarre story of the giant rat should be held in the vaults of a London bank until all the protagonists were dead....

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s timeless creation returns in a new series of handsomely designed detective stories. T
Published March 15th 2011 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
This is a good mystery novel, but not a consistently authentic Holmes pastiche; there are a few little nuances to the portrayal of Holmes that don't ring true. These include Holmes merely smiling and pausing when a client interrupts his exposition with an emotional remark, Holmes being anxious to arrive at a garden party on time, adjourning for a game of croquet there after - crouquet? - have we wandered into an Edwardian comedy?

The story itself is pretty thrilling, it's a sort of sequel to The
Mark Glover
I was uncertain about this, though coming across this relaunched series in the bargain bin I was convinced enough to take a gamble and was glad that I did. The book maintains the tone of your classic Sherlock Holmes story making the deliberate(and wise in my opinion) choice not to mess with the formula. Therefore we have the story told by Watson, a preface telling us that the story had been held aside until the people who were involved had passed, all played out in a tone almost indistinguishabl ...more
Jonathan
Richard L. Boyer shows great affection for his source material, with this intriguing little book, which contains many references and influences from Arthur Conan Doyle’s original tales. The premise of a so called mythical creature being used to brutally kill invites obvious comparisons with The Hound of the Baskervilles.
Often referred to throughout, it could have been a mistake to write a story so similar to The Hound of the Baskervilles, which is probably the most well-known Sherlock Holmes
Amaya
I could hardly put it down! An intense, fast paced, compelling read, full of plot twists, challenges, and puzzles worthy of Conan Doyle himself! I highly recommend it!
Bev
Synopsis: Among all the tantalizing mysteris of Sherlock Holmes, none is more famous than the great untold story of The Giant Rat of Sumatra. A tale that according to Richard L. Boyer involes a mysterious ship lying at the London docks with a terrifying beast caged in the hold; a night of fire and terror & a dead sailor who was on his way to consult with Holmes; a beautiful young woman abducted and held for ransom; and Watson captured by a madman with Holmes powerless to help. No wonder the ...more
Khairul H.
(This review is an excerpt from the review of the same book which appears in my blog The Malaysian Reader.)

The novel opens with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson rushing to a site where a man has been found murdered (and what made the pair rushed to the place without being summoned by Scotland Yard is due to a brilliant piece of deduction of Holmes’ that would make Conan Doyle nod at Boyer with approval). Holmes quickly surmised that the dead man was in fact on his way to 221B Baker Street when he
Ceejay
If you're looking for a Sherlock Holmes novel written in the style of Arthur Conan Doyle, then this is your book! It's a good read,an exciting read. I would point out that you need to have read some of the original stories to appreciate this book completely. I don't do spoilers, so I can't tell you which one. You'll know once you get into the story. Three cheers for Richard L. Boyer for a job well done.
Michael A
A bit of a stretch to say that this tale was so frightening and disturbing that Watson only hinted at it and never published a full account. The story is a good story and again we have a character thought dead returning to seek revenge upon Holmes and Watson. But there is little real terror. Another in the long running series of modern authors plugging in Holmes tales that is overall well done but not spectacular.
Natasha
I spotted this book in the library and although I normally avoid the "new" Sherlock Holmes stories I was tempted by this one.

Despite the fact that the Holmes in this book was quite different to Conan Doyle's Holmes, I did enjoy the story and read most of it in one go.
M Christopher
Wish I could give this one a three and a half star rating. Liked it fairly well and may well read it again in the future. A pretty good example of the serious Holmes "pastiche" -- written with care by an award-winning mystery writer and a pretty good yarn. There were a couple of points at which I thought, "Conan Doyle wouldn't have written THAT," but only a couple. The plot is rather derivative, sort of a sequel to one of the canonical works, as the reader will discover. But an entertaining and ...more
Mary
This was pretty good. I enjoyed the pace, twists & turns. My only complaint is that there was alot of wrapping up at the end where Sherlock has to explain what happened. Some of that is OK, but when the reader is kept in the dark to that extent, I think the author didn't quite do his job.

This story involes a mysterious ship lying at the London docks with a terrifying beast caged in the hold; a night of fire and terror & a dead sailor who was on his way to consult with Holmes; a beautifu
Ed
A 1976 Sherlock Holmes pastiche by Rick Boyer, who would go on to write the Doc Adams series of thrillers. There is no accounting for taste, and you may love or hate this effort, depending on your tolerence for Sherlockiana.

Sherlock Holmes pastiche - Dr. Watson arranged for the publication of this tale to take place after all the people named has deceased. Holmes and Watson are drawn to the murder of a seaman, who had been trying to reach them with a tale os a giant rat. Holmes looks into the st
Elderberrywine
Bravo! Very nicely done. And really, can't we assume that these days the Tale of the Giant Rat of Sumatra will cause no loss of sleep in even the gentlest of readers? So lead on, Watson, do tell all! ;)

Apparently, this is part of a series (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) from the '70s which which I am unfamiliar. The book-length tales are written by various authors, but if they are all of the caliber of this one, it warrants further investigation. This appears to be a recent reprint,
robyn
So-so. Like most pastiches of average quality, it relies heavily on Doyle's own earlier stories. The Victorian flavor of the story isn't bad at all, but it decidedly lacks spice. And while Holmes' characterization isn't terrible, it's very hard to imagine him saying (in Doyle's hands) anything like, "we mustn't be late for the garden party," or "How about a game of croquet?"

Nope!

Not the worst I've read by far. But not fun, and a good SH always provides that.
Arabis
I'm not normally a fan of authors writing continuations of another author's characters, but I'm willing to make an exception for Sherlock Holmes - especially since it dealt with this case that is only ever referred to by Conan Doyle. The story was enjoyable and felt pretty true to Conan Doyle. There seems to be a series of these 'Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' books by different authors, I hope the rest of them live up to this one.
Riju Ganguly
Better than most other Sherlockian pastches, definitely the best one involving "THE" giant rat of Sumatra, involving the second-most nefarious (and definitely most dangerous, but out-of-London, keeping Sebastian Moran's place intact) villain in Sherlockiana. Recommended for its Victorian settings, gothic scenes, flawless language (you almost believe that this is actually one of Doyle's better efforts) and action-packed climax.
Charon
Feb 18, 2012 Charon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Funny how mental images can change. When I last read something Sherlock Holmes, he looked like a cross between the ilustrations and Jeremy Brett in my mind ... this time it was like the cast of Sherlock had a run in with the costume department of the Guy Ritchie movies. My mind somehow fails to imagine Martin Freeman with a moustache though. Probably not a bad thing ;-)
Kate
The Giant Rat of Sumatra story is the most famous allusions in the canon and this really delivers on the idea. A giant rat on a boat linked with the kidnapping of a politician's daughter that ends with a surprising villain and a climax that is certainly heart stopping. It's a fantastic Holmes pastiche but also a great read as a mystery. Very much enjoyed it :)
Kay
This wasn't a bad interpretation of 'The Giant Rat of Sumatra' case; one that is mentioned in the Sherlock Holmes stories as one that the world is not yet ready for. I definitely enjoyed the plot and the style fits in well with the original novels. I'm sure other Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy it too!
Margaret
A pretty good Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

Several bad spelling and grammar errors, combined with Holmes and Watson playing croquet, prevented me awarding this 4 stars. I can forgive the out of character croquet, but not the errors.

An interesting read all the same, however.
Bre
reading right now. Pretty good.
Update:! This is an amazing book!! It really picks up toward the end. I'm glad I picked up this one, as I can't shine the other books in this series are any better. Highly recommend. The author really does Holmes right.
Kailey
The excellent writing is extraordinarily similar to Doyle's style, and the plot is just the right thing for Sherlock and Watson. If I didn't know better, I would have said this is one of the original classics! marvelous read!
David Johnson
A fairly decent attempt at a Holmes pastiche of one of the famous unpublished cases in the Canon.Now we need someone to write "Riggaletto of the Club-Foot and his Abominable Wife."
Jim
Boyer writes about the case that Holmes wanted to keep secret. A good pastiche explaining what the "Giant Rat" was... but not on the level of Doyle and I didn't expect it to be...
Read1000books
A good rendering of the most famous of the "mentioned-but-unrecorded" cases found in the sixty original Sherlock Holmes adventures by Conan Doyle.
Alan Brindley
Average. Felt like a rip off of The Hound of the Baskervilles to be honest.
Mel
Well use of Canon stories, and stayed true to the characters that are originally from ACD's creation.
Lela
It was a good SH story but pretty different from the typical Doyle books. Fun to read anyway.
Corey
Got the atmosphere and voice of Conan Doyle in the service of a crackerjack plot.
aldo zirsov
buku jadul petualangan Sherlock Holmes dan Dr. Watson yang ditulis oleh Richard L. Boyer.
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
Aka Rick Boyer.

Richard Lewis Boyer (b. 1943 - ) is an American writer, best known for series of crime novels featuring Charlie "Doc" Adams, a dental surgeon in New England. His novel Billingsgate Shoal received the Edgar Award for best novel in 1983.

Boyer was born in Evanston, Illinois. He majored in English at Denison University and earned an MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Iowa, stu
More about Richard L. Boyer...

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Titan Books) (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors