Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles

Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles (Madame Pamplemousse #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  65 reviews
"Madame Pamplemousse "is the story of Madeleine, forced to work in her unpleasant uncle's horrible restaurant, "The Squealing Pig." By chance she comes across the most marvellous shop, run by Madame Pamplemousse, which is quiet, discreet, yet full of delicious and otherworldly 'edibles' - Pterodactyl Bacon, Scorpion Tails in Smoked Garlic Oil, and Great Squid Tentacle in J...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books (first published January 1st 2008)

Dawn Rutherford
I was looking for kids foodie chapter book for my bookgroup to read this summer and stumbled upon this little treat. I'm not sure who the market is for this series, as they are a bit odd. Francophiles tweens who love Roald Dahl? But I enjoyed the atmosphere of this one, and the passion for cooking it celebrated. I think it will make a nice light summer read for the foodies.
This delectable little treat took about half an hour to read and was absolutely charming. Young fans of Ratatouille will adore it (there is a cooking cat instead of rat) and the loose pencil drawings reminded me of Quentin Blake. It would make a fine readaloud for 4th/5th grade.
Larissa
Madeleine, neglected by her parents, was sent each summer to work for her uncle, Monsieur Lard. Monsieur Lard ran a restaurant in the centre of Paris called The Squealing Pig. Madeleine would have loved working at The Squealing Pig if she had been allowed to cook. She loved to cook for others, sharing her passion for food.

Unfortunately for Madeleine, at The Squealing Pig, her role was more that of a Cinderella then a Top Chef. She spent her days at the kitchen sink, large stacks of dishes and po...more
Roben
A wonderful, little book; if you enjoy Roald Dahl/Lemony Snicket type books, this should appeal to you, also!
Madeleine has parents - but they don't seem to care for her at all. Every summer she is sent to work in the kitchen of the restaurant run by her cruel and greedy Uncle Lard. She does discover, however, that she has a gift for cooking. One day, she mistakenly enters the shop of the mysterious Madame Pamplemousse and the rest, as they say, is history.
This would be a great read-aloud for a...more
Tina  M
I bought this on Kindle today, and Truly and I are finding it DELIGHTFUL!

I love this quote (it reminds me of you, Truly)...

"The ingredients I use are not especially remarkable. Exquisite, yes, and delicious, but only things. It is you yourself that gives flavour to your cooking- your character, your dreams, your smiles, your tears."
Erik
Asi nakoniec 2,5*
Briti tú to trilógiu oslavujú, ako niečo úžasné. Mne sa to však nepáčilo. A btw. najprv som mal pocit, že to bude niečo historické, veď aj tá obálka tak vyzerá, aj postavy aj dej je taký a napokon som zisti, že sa to odohráva v súčasnosti... nuž otras...
Neodporúčam nikomu :)
Timothy Power
This book is charmingly written, but the story is so slight I was afraid it would blow away at any minute! I longed for a custard, what is here is a meringue. :)
Charlyn  Trussell
Madeleine is an excellent cook, a talent which she should be able to use in her uncle's restaurant in Paris. Monsieur Lard, her uncle, forbids her to cook lest she outshine his efforts--which she would quickly do. In her errands for him, she finds a small shop owned by a Madame Pamplemousse that sells "incredible edibles" made from fantastical ingredients such as dragons and sea monsters. Instead of the paté which her uncle chooses from another store, Madeleine buys paté here and it quickly bec...more
Siti
SUMMER READING 2011
SITI H.M. KHAIRI

Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles
by Rupert KIngfisher
160 pages
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC $8.99
ISBN 0747592306

Madeleine is not here to stir up trouble but working at her selfish, mean and arrogant Uncle Lard's restaurant has made her so. A chef herself, she knows why her Uncle's restaurant is in trouble and tries to help. Unintentionally, she runs into a little shop full of curious food and finds friendship in an unlikely setting and a chance to get...more
Melainebooks
Très sympathique petit roman pour la jeunesse emprunt de magie, de cuisine et de chat borgne bien mystérieux.

Madeleine est mal traitée par son oncle. Celui-ci ne supporte pas qu'elle soit douée en cuisine et décide de faire comme avec ses cuisiners : proscrire son talent. Elle doit faire la plonge et ne toucher à rien d'autre. Les autres cuisiniers ont peur de leur patron et ne bougent pas.

C'est en envoyant Madeleine chercher un pâté que son oncle affectionne que celle-ci découvre un met délicie...more
Julie Davis
Madeleine must work in her horrible Uncle Lard’s restaurant, The Squealing Pig, every summer. Though a fairly good cook herself, Madeleine is only allowed to wash dishes and stay out of the way. But one evening while on an errand for the chef, her luck changes. As she wanders through the streets of Paris, she happens upon a tiny shop. Not just any shop, but Edibles owned by Madame Pamplemousse.
This is a delightful little book which shows faint echoes of Roald Dahl's influence. The sense of whim...more
Books Kids Like
Madame Pamplemousse owns a tiny shop that sells exotic food delicacies. Monsieur Lard owns the Squealing Pig, a restaurant of questionable cuisine. The finest chef at the Pig is Lard’s niece, Madeleine, but Lard forbids her to cook because of professional jealousy. One day, Monsieur Lard sends his niece to buy more “Mixed Innards” pate. On the way, Madeleine sees a white cat stand on his hind feet and walk through a door. She follows him and meets Madame Pamplemousse who gives her “Pate of North...more
Meredith
Yesterday, Mom and I were driving to Anchorage and back to watch Logic videos with some homeschool moms. Mom was looking for a short story that I could read to her and chose this. It was a cute story taking place in Paris. But, I must say it was a little gross, and since I'm not exactly a foodie, I didn't find anything particularly charming about this story. If I could, I might give it a 3.5 rating, but since I can't I settled with three.
Rebecca
3 stars. Grades 2-4. Madeleine is a sweet young girl who can really cook. But she is forced, every summer, to scrub dishes and do menial labor for her horrible, hateful Uncle Lard, the owner of the Squealing Pig restaurant. One day, sent on an errand, Madeleine happens upon a shabby little food store and encounters the mysterious Madame Pamplemousse. When she returns to the Squealing Pig with a rare and extraordinary delicacy from Pamplemousse all sorts of things begin to happen. It's bubble, bu...more
Olivia Woodhead
A great book different to any other I have ever read! The plot is about a young girl who is sent away every summer and has to stay with her 'big jolly' uncle and has the most gruesome time until one day she discovers the weirdest things ever tasted along with a new friendship that will last forever...
Emma
A lovely story with hints of Dahl and Ratatouille...not short of delectable details! #1 child reading it now. ..can't wait for the next two books in the trilogy to arrive in the mail!
Patricia
This is a great read aloud / practice reading book for 10-11 year olds. Engaging and funny, silly, but dark enough at points to give it some depth. We loved it.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This delicious and charming little gem is ratatouille and Willy Wonka's factory (if it makes regular foodstuff and not candies) rolled into one, sprinkled with Rupert Kingfisher's own brand of gentle humor and inventiveness. At parts it made me laugh out loud, and it holds enough suspense to keep me interested to the end. It's great that the evil pig-like Uncle Lard is not so severely punished! He just found his true calling. The naming of all characters with French food names makes it a highly...more
Miriam
Cute little story of a hapless girl whose horrible, fat, smelly, despicable uncle forces her to slave as s dishwasher even though she has the potential to be a great chef.

I think where this book fell down for me was the food. I love food -- that's why I got the book. But nothing described sounded good at all. Of course Uncle Lard's cuisine was supposed to be revolting, but Madame Pamplemousse's didn't sound too appealing, either. In fact, it seemed rather like a foreigner's stereotype of weird,...more
Kristy
Simply adorable. Just the type of book I would want to write if I got up the guts! Madeleine lives in France, temporarily under the guardianship of her porcine uncle, who runs a not-so-hot restaurant. When Madeleine stumbles upon a little shop full of delightful and delicious delicacies, she brings back some pate for her uncle, only to find herself hired out as help in the shop and tasked with stealing Madame Pamplemousse's greatest recipe. Instead Pamplemousse fosters the inate skills in the bu...more
Becky
Madeline is sent to live with her uncle during the summer. Her uncle Lard owns a restaurant called The Squealing Pig. Madeline loves to cook, but unfortunately, her horrid uncle makes sure she never gets to do that - she just has to wash greasy dishes and do other grunt work. One day, Madeline is sent on an errand, and she stumbles into Madame Pamplemousse's Incredible Edibles store. This magical store turns Madeline's life around as well as her uncle's.

A quick read with pictures and spaces. Kin...more
Madeleen
My favorite children story right now
Megan
Delightful and fanciful while just a little weak on the plot development and totally predictable in the end.

The major regret here is that the book is meant to be about super delcious edibles and then offers dishes that sound pretty distgusting with very little description to convince the reader otherwise.

Overall, though, the book is sweet and whimsical, and for someone whose found herself reading back-to-back Franzen's followed by Infinite Jest, a little bit of whimsy was definitely in order.
Medeia Sharif
While I was reading this charming book that took me into the magical world of Madeleine, Madame Pamplemousse, and Camembert, I couldn't help but think it reminded me of Roald Dahl's books. When I read the author's bio I saw that Dahl was one of Kingfisher's favorite authors. The influence is definitely there in this children's book. I loved the description of food and Paris. The story is delightful in every way and people of all ages will enjoy this.
Melissa
This was odd, but quite enjoyable. I'm not sure where this really fits in the whole reading spectrum; it feels like a middle grade book, but there are words that I know an 8 year old won't know (mostly food terms like pate -- how do you do accents??) and then there's the damns that show up (only twice, but still...). But it's not complex enough for a YA novel... so it's stuck out there in no-book's land. Still, it's a cute little story.
Josephine
Minus a point because I don't give books five stars unless I'm AMAZED. Minus a star because I'm not the intended audience. Minus a star because it reminded me of Dahl and of Fleming (Chitty-chitty-bang-bang, anyone?)

That said, I can see it being a real hit for second through fourth graders (depending on reading level) who aren't ready yet for the complexities of Dahl's works, or of the movie Ratatouille.

Sorry.
Austen to Zafón
This was a pre-read for my son, who loves cats. I'm not sure this one would appeal to him, but it was a nice, short read for me. Madame Pamplemousse was a fairly complex character for such a short book, although most of the other characters one-dimensional, and I enjoyed the seriously grumpy, one-eyed cat who can use a whisk with verve.
Tracie
Forced by her parents to spend summers working for her detested uncle in his restaraunt, the Squealing Pig, Madeleine is a virtual slave. One day she stumbles on a strange little shop and returns to the Pig with an ingredient that looks to bring her uncle culinary fortune and fame. Quirky in a good way; Eager, Ibbotson and Dahl fans should find this one entertaining as well.
Kimberly Souza
Such a sweet and fun story filled with wonderful illustrations. I'm getting the other two books in this series. So fun!
Marie
We're more than half way through this charming book (reading aloud to 6-year-old); I explain some of the funny bits, mostly by translating the quirky French names, but E thinks this book is a lot of fun. It has a genteel, old-fashioned quality to it that I like much better than Junie B., and the writing is keeping us engaged. Sea monster pate avec green poivron sauce anyone?
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • The Unnameables
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • The Magical Ms. Plum
  • Garmann's Summer
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears
  • The Dunderheads
  • Very Hairy Bear
  • Please Write in This Book
  • Penny Dreadful
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • The Wikkeling
  • The Robe Of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Pearl Verses the World
Rupert Kingfisher’s first book, Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles, was highly acclaimed. His favourite authors as a child were Roald Dahl, Susan Cooper and Ursula le Guin. He also loved American horror comics and French cartoon books such as Asterix and Tintin. It was on a family holiday to Paris that he visited a bookshop dedicated to books such as Tintin – and also ate anchovies for...more
More about Rupert Kingfisher...
Madame Pamplemousse And The Time Travelling Cafe (Madame Pamplemousse, #2) Madame Pamplemousse and the Enchanted Sweet Shop (Madame Pamplemousse, #3)