Start by marking “The Expendable Man” as Want to Read:
The Expendable Man

The Expendable Man

"This book is thrilling and chilling." says reader. Nick Grocchi, who has been sentenced to prison in Turkmenistan for a crime he did not commit, wakes up in a hospital in the U.S. where he's about to be subjected to an ultra-experimental genetic protocol in attempt to save his life.

Yet, if the treatment cures him, not only does he face being sent back to Turkmenistan to f
Published February 24th 2011 by Expendable Man Publishing (first published January 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Expendable Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expendable Man

Terri Lynn
Apr 10, 2013 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
The author of this excellent thriller is also my Goodreads friend Peter Pollak and he gave me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Those who know me here know that is the only kind of review I give and I do not hesitate to tear apart an awful book by even a best selling author I tend to love.

I read a lot in the mystery/suspense/thriller genre and it is a personal favorite. This book kept me glued to my seat racing along with my heart pounding to see what would happen next.

The
Judy
Jun 08, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
I was into the story from the first page. I liked the dated "chapters" and found it easy to follow from one exotic place (Ashgabat, Turkmenistan) and not so exotic (D.C. and Albany, NY). I recommend it to anyone who likes a political "thriller". I even recommend it for our book club where 8 out of ten people usually like a book with only 2 disgruntled readers Disgruntled but with something to say in any case. Nick Grocchi (what a name) is a likable character.
Peggy Bechko
Oct 01, 2011 Peggy Bechko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
For those who enjoy thrillers, this is a great book. It was recommended to me and I'm glad I got it for my kindle reader on impulse. The plot was fast-paced, not losing my interest. Characters were interesting. A grab you by the lapels and keep you reading kind of book. I'd most definitely recommend it. I'll look forward to another book by Peter Pollak
Peter
May 04, 2012 Peter added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my first novel and again I'm not going to rate it. However, if you haven't read you may be interested to learn that I've lowered the price for the paperback edition to $11.99. My agreement with my printer requires me to charge at least that amount (rounded up to ninety-nine cents).

The Expendable Man is available in print from bookstores in Tucson, Denver, Albany (NY), Schenectady and Johnstown (NY). Links are on my website -- www.petergpollak.com.

It's also available from the Amazon and B
Steve Wilson
Feb 24, 2012 Steve Wilson rated it really liked it
Melinda
May 14, 2014 Melinda rated it liked it
The Expendable Man is true to its genre – it is a thrill a minute. One fast pace read, you will be completely absorbed by this intriguing story.

I enjoyed several features of Pollak’s novel. I was caught up in the swiftness of the narrative, very fast moving story which adds to the subdued excitement. Having the government/political facet and the main protagonist of savvy and sharp businessman Nick Grocchi created a interesting angle. Grocchi is calm and intelligent, mysterious but basically a s
T. Bakutis
Jul 30, 2014 T. Bakutis rated it really liked it
I don't usually read mysteries, but I enjoyed this book quite a bit. In particular, I liked that Mr. Pollak stayed away from most of the cliches often seen in mysteries and thrillers. While the events in this book are set in motion by a government conspiracy (which are generally a dime a dozen) in this case the conspiracy isn't all that thought out or really well planned. Essentially, one bureaucratic screw up leads to another which leads to really, really bad time for the protagonist. I liked t ...more
Claudia Mosey
Jan 18, 2012 Claudia Mosey rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, first-reads
1/21/12 I received "Expandable Man",free,from author! I totally enjoyed reading this book.The plot was good,characters easy to follow,and I just had to know how it would end.I read it in one setting.I thought in the beginning it would be more of a "man's reading"A political thriller.American businessman sentenced 7 years in a Turkmenistan prison,he and his co-horts were trying to sell them an airport radar system,with the okay of "State".Russians and Islams ,oh my!.Then our hero develops a horr ...more
Tom Costello
May 24, 2011 Tom Costello rated it it was amazing
Gripping. On the edge of my seat the last third.
Ilana
Ilana rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2011
ShanetteGiles
ShanetteGiles rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Clarawieck
Clarawieck rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Eduardo Martinez
Eduardo Martinez rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
Jenifer Morris
Jenifer Morris rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Sarah Colbert
Sarah Colbert rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2012
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
May 12, 2011
Martha Carr
Martha Carr marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2011
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2011
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2011
Roz
Roz marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2011
Peter
Peter added it
Dec 19, 2011
Lissa
Lissa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2011
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2011
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2011
John Jones
John Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2011
Paulette
Paulette marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2011
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2011
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2011
Lyla
Lyla marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2011
Brandon Cerny
Brandon Cerny marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
 Arushi
Arushi marked it as to-read
Denese
Denese marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2012
Ta
Ta added it
Jan 05, 2012
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Jessica Buike
Jessica Buike marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2012
Quetzi Fernald
Quetzi Fernald marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2012
I'm passionate about writing stories that readers don't want to put down.

My fifth novel, a thriller entitled House Divided, was released in February 2015. Some people think it's my best yet.

If you read all five, I'd like to hear which one you think is the best and why.

My first four are The Expendable Man (2011)--a thriller, two mysteries--Making the Grade (2012) and In the Game (2013), and a sus
More about Peter G. Pollak...