Start by marking “The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  21,544 ratings  ·  2,168 reviews
She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

Elisa is a hero.

She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from foreign realms and even from within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer
Published September 18th 2012 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Crown of Embers, please sign up.

YA Novels of 2012
98th out of 1,310 books — 10,335 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
168th out of 2,502 books — 15,923 voters

More lists with this book...

Rae
Jun 15, 2011 Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I just finished drafting this! And I'm celebrating by giving it five stars, dang it.
Veronica Roth
Love interest swoon factor of 10. (Out of 10.) *fans self* Damn.
Katie
Holy cheeseballs covered in roly polies. I can't form a coherent thought after finishing this book this morning. I will say that I was distracted ALL DAY at school because of the feelings pulsing through me after gobbling this book up. I just. I can't. I don't.

AAAAHHHHHHH. BRAIN IS IMPLODING.

There were so many times I wanted to smack all the characters! But thank GOD Elisa does what she does at the end, even if she does a certain other thing before then that makes her do the certain thing that
Keertana
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I have to admit, I am a little upset. Not because of the cliffhanger ending, but because I was expecting one and it never came. Seriously. I pre-ordered this book and have been staring at it longingly on my shelves for MONTHS, refusing to be subject to a terrible, heart-wrenching cliffhanger, only to have an ending that leaves me jumping up and down for joy, completely satisfied and happy. Needless to say, we all need to re-affirm our definition of a cliffhanger ending.

Does Cro
Jodi Meadows
I've now read THE CROWN OF EMBERS twice. If I could give it another five stars, I would. Being on my "books I love beyond reason" shelf will have to suffice.

Because I do love it beyond reason.
Thomas
Females! Young-adult females! And males, too, I suppose - drop what you're reading and check this series out. Or finish what you're reading and then check it out, as Rae Carson has come into her own with The Crown of Embers. Similar to the Mortal Instruments trilogy, the first book in the Fire and Thorns trilogy (The Girl of Fire and Thorns) didn't win me over, but its sequel did. Boy, it did.

In The Crown of Embers Elisa continues her quest to fulfill the duty given to her by her Godstone. As qu
Lindsey Rey
LOOOOOOVE THIS SERIES! So much goodness and brilliance!
Sarah Terese *Kili!*
Mar 06, 2015 Sarah Terese *Kili!* rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Well, if you liked the first one, give it a go. I guess.
Oh no. Here I am again. The odd one out. The one person who just didn't like this book.
Sigh.
More of a review to come...

WARNING! SARCASM AND MILD HUMOR TO COME!! STEER CLEAR IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC!! Sorry about that. I've learned that sometimes you have to set up these little disclaimers for the "die-hard-fans-of-books" who will attack you for giving a book a bad review. Am I not allowed to have opinions here anymore? Are we suddenly living in "dystopian fiction" world? Because I threw that world
Kilikina
Ahhhhhhhaowerfnoafhoawelfkdsljf......ok.

While this sequel wasn't as intense as the first one, I still enjoyed it just as much.
Elisa was just as strong of a heroine as she was in the first book. I loved the romance between Hector and Elisa. I was actually wary of Hector just because of how much I loved Humberto...But Hector isn't one of those male characters that tries to take the other love interest's place. His relationship with Elisa was totally different than Humberto's and that's something
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
What a difference the introduction makes. I'll admit that the first time around, I abandoned this book because I could not get past the beginning. Ok, Elisa almost dies several times, her country is in chaos, but they are the most boring murder attempts/civil unrest possible. I don't think it's the writing, it's just tossing events after events at us with little character development that made the beginning intolerable for me, however action-packed it was.

However, past page 90 is where the book
Brigid (is a massive coffee addict)
Jun 13, 2014 Brigid (is a massive coffee addict) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love confident and intelligent heroines
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Crown of Embers by Rae Carson Review

Holy Fuck, a book without insta-love! There must be a blue moon or something, right?

Thoughts:

Rae Carson may be one of the few authors of Young Adult fiction I love most. Here’s why: she doesn’t slut shame, she doesn’t write insta-love, she writes realistic character development, and she has the heroine save herself instead of the male lead swooping in.

But, she also does something I feel was quite brave: she created a story line that has a big influence on
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

I ABSOLUTELY LOVEDDDDDD THIS BOOK!!! IT WAS JUST ABOUT PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!! PHEWWWWW, WHAT A RIDE!!!

description

4.5 Stars

THE CROWN OF EMBERS was an EXPLOSIVE READ that I absolutely LOVED!! It took me on the ride of my life, and filled me with such awesomeness that kept me up reading late into night, craving just one-more-chapter I couldn't get enough of!!! I loved the world building, the characters, the villains, the magical aspects, frankly, I loved just about every single thing in this novel, no, i
Lea
OMGosh I am DYING OVER THIS COVER!! So excited to get my hands on this one, the first book was AMAZING!! :D
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I love fantasy. I loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I desperately wanted to read The Crown of Embers and be blown away, like I was with The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Was I? Oh, hells yeah. Abso-freaking-lutely, I was! It was amazing and perfect and captivating and when I was reading, the rest of the world dropped away and I had eyes only for this book. (Seriously, I looked up that first night while reading and realized that everyone in my house had already gone to bed, and it was nearing midnigh ...more
Rachel
Sep 18, 2012 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: arcs
I put off reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns for quite a while, and was schooled on that when I read it and loved it. What actually spurred me was that I borrowed an ARC of The Crown of Embers, so I was lucky to finish the first and immediately begin the second. This sequel absolutely did not disappoint! I just might have loved it more than the first, it's that good.

We saw Elisa grow up so immensely in The Girl of Fire and Thorns that it's hard to believe she has any left to do, but boy does sh
Stephanie • No BS Book Reviews
Me. At the end. of this book:

A PLAGUE UPON YOUR HOUSE, RAE CARSON. <--Said with Love, adoration, and appreciation.

You know that feeling when you're reading a book, and you just know that it is literary gold? Yeah, this was it. THIS is it. This series is byfar one of the best written I have EVER...EVER read. This book was real. The characters were real, their situations were believable, the risk, the loss, the love, the fear, the joy, the pain, the EMOTION, REAL. I am wholeheartedly invested
Faye, la Patata
;_; I wish I wrote this myself. SO GOOD!!! My feels for Hector and Elisa are all over the place. I think I reread one scene more than ten times while I imagined myself in Elisa's shoes... ahhhhhhh where is my Hector?!
Kimberley doruyter
she is so brave ans a little stupid.
Elena
''And my heart sinks to think that dancing with me may be yet another duty for him. But then I can't think of anything at all, for his hand has slipped around my waist to pull me toward him. Holding my gaze, his left hand slides gently down my forearm to my fingers. He entwines them with his own and spins me into the center of the floor.''

WHAT. THE.
Let me sort my thoughts, because I wasn't expecting this. AT ALL! I read The Girl of Fire and Thorns at the beginning of this year, and I enjoyed it
Paula
Book perfection. The End.
Julie
I've been on a fantasy kick lately and I enjoyed this book. It was a good story, a good plot, well-written, depth of character, and so on.

However, I am not a big fan of nuts in my brownies. I have nothing against nuts in general, nor do I have a problem with people who like nuts in their brownies. I just really don't like biting into a delicious brownie only to discover a hidden nut. It ruins the whole brownie experience for me.

I read a lot of young adult fiction because that is what my kids li
Ash Wednesday
Nov 27, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Elizabeth I
SPOILERS FOR GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS (like duh)

3.5 STARS
My head swims, my limbs tingle, and I'm a little bit delighted, a little bit horrified.

I wasn't exactly disappointed but I was definitely expecting something else. Maybe it's because Girl of Fire and Thorns took me by surprise with a strong and sharp second half but this… this felt like it plateaued for me when the zafira storyline got introduced. It was like my interest in the bigger story arc was out of sync with my interest in the
Nicole
On the surface, there is a lot to like about The Crown of Embers. The writing flows nicely, the book is not as lengthy as most fantasy novels, and the main character undergoes an identity crisis of sorts, struggling to reconcile the things she desires most with her duties as Queen and the bearer of the Godstone.

What went wrong? A lot.

One issue is that the author attempts to create an epic forbidden romance - and fails. The reasons Hector and Elisa cannot be together are weak. Elisa is propositio
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Who knew that underneath his mustache Hector was one big pile of swoon-inducing charm? (By the way, I want to thank the author for having him shave it this book, much obliged)

description

I hadn't read the first book in FOREVER. So when I got this one, I wasn't all anxious to read it. But then I read it. And I didn't put it down. And Elisa is so strong. And Hector is so sweet. And I loved loved LOVED it.

There was so much adventure. So much character development. So much complex politics. So much love from me
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Elisa struggles with being a strong leader for a kingdom that’s falling apart. Meanwhile she starts to fall in love with her most loyal and trustworthy friend.

Opening Sentence: My entourage of guards struggles to keep pace as I fly down the corridors of my palace.

The Review:

Elisa has come home a war hero, but the glory is short lived. After an animagus displays an unimaginable warning to the queen, death has been stalking Elisa night and da
Chantal

This was amazing! So, so good! I enjoyed the first installment but this was a whole lot better.

Without a doubt what makes this series great are the characters. Elisa is one of my favorite female protagonists ever! She is so intelligent, independent, selfless and determined, yet she isn’t perfect, she struggles to find her confidence and authority and at times makes mistakes as a queen. She takes care of herself and does not depend upon authors to constantly save her. I was completely d
Erin
The Crown of Embers is by far one of my favorite books of the year, and Rae Carson is well on her way to being one of my favorite authors. Rae started her writing career with a bang with The Girl of Fire and Thorns, which I absolutely loved. It was great to see a YA fantasy deal with issues of self-image and self-empowerment. Elisa was a strong, compelling, and loveable heroine, who was kickass even though she didn't always know it. In The Crown of Embers we return to Elisa's world a few months ...more
Ferdy
Spoilers

-The storyline was a tad predictable, it was obvious who was trying to kill Elisa and the reason they wanted her out of the way — yet Elisa and co didn't do anything, even though they pretty much knew what was going on. I felt it was a bit unrealistic that everyone turned against Elisa so soon after she saved their country from the Inviernos/animagus. There should have been more loyalty and gratitude, at least for a little while — but everyone was plotting against her straight away.

-I fo
Cookie
Took a while to finish this reread--more than a month actually (ouch). And, like with The Girl of Fire and Thorns, I'm yet again tempted to change my rating because I just adored it after the reread.
------
4.5 stars!
This book was a much better instalment than it's first, The Girl of Fire and Thorns. The action here is great and oh so exciting. I'm finally glad that she and Hector have become something, because honestly? Since I've heard of this series and this couple, I was very surprised not to
Riley
4.5 stars, I think. I really, really enjoyed this. Better than GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS, even. I couldn't put it down, and it made me tingle with emotion! BUT... no 5 stars, because it didn't make me cry.

Love:
- Elisa's continued evolution and maturity
- Hectorrrrrrr!
- The writing -- very smooth and visual. Evocative.
- The worldbuilding. And the hint that there are things Elisa has yet to learn, as well as things she's been mis-taught. I can't wait for THE BITTER KINGDOM!!

Didn't love:
- Slightly ant
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Vessel
  • The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Sorrow's Knot
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I now live in Arizona with my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about questions I don't know the answers to.
More about Rae Carson...

Fire and Thorns (3 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3) The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5) The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7) The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)

“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.” 178 likes
“A quarterstaff is not very subtle. Or handy. If an kidnapper comes at me, what am I supposed to do? Say, 'Excuse me, my lord, while I pull my enormous quarterstaff out of my bodice?” 76 likes