Start by marking “The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  24,775 ratings  ·  2,346 reviews
She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

Elisa is a hero.

She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from foreign realms and even from within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer
Published September 18th 2012 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Crown of Embers, please sign up.

YA Novels of 2012
97th out of 1,316 books — 10,497 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
168th out of 2,495 books — 15,914 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 15, 2011 Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I just finished drafting this! And I'm celebrating by giving it five stars, dang it.
Veronica Roth
Love interest swoon factor of 10. (Out of 10.) *fans self* Damn.
Holy cheeseballs covered in roly polies. I can't form a coherent thought after finishing this book this morning. I will say that I was distracted ALL DAY at school because of the feelings pulsing through me after gobbling this book up. I just. I can't. I don't.

There were so many times I wanted to smack all the characters! But thank GOD Elisa does what she does at the end, even if she does a certain other thing before then that makes her do the certain thing that
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I have to admit, I am a little upset. Not because of the cliffhanger ending, but because I was expecting one and it never came. Seriously. I pre-ordered this book and have been staring at it longingly on my shelves for MONTHS, refusing to be subject to a terrible, heart-wrenching cliffhanger, only to have an ending that leaves me jumping up and down for joy, completely satisfied and happy. Needless to say, we all need to re-affirm our definition of a cliffhanger ending.

Does Cro
Jodi Meadows
I've now read THE CROWN OF EMBERS twice. If I could give it another five stars, I would. Being on my "books I love beyond reason" shelf will have to suffice.

Because I do love it beyond reason.
Females! Young-adult females! And males, too, I suppose - drop what you're reading and check this series out. Or finish what you're reading and then check it out, as Rae Carson has come into her own with The Crown of Embers. Similar to the Mortal Instruments trilogy, the first book in the Fire and Thorns trilogy (The Girl of Fire and Thorns) didn't win me over, but its sequel did. Boy, it did.

In The Crown of Embers Elisa continues her quest to fulfill the duty given to her by her Godstone. As qu
Ok. So the whole time I'm reading this series and they talk about this girl with a gem in her bellybutton this is all I can see

Anybody? Ok. Moving on.
Giving this one a 4.5 as it didn't really pull me in as hard as the first book. However, this may be as a whole my new favorite YA fantasy series. I love the balance between politics, romance, and the magical elements of this story. I don't feel like I'm being smothered in cliche romance, the magical stuff is really interesting and the politics ar
Norah Sumner
"I want to be queen of this great country not because someone is holding my hand,but because I can do it.Me.Elisa."

Damn son.I'm an emotional mess right now.This book was so damn good I want to somehow imprint it into my brain so that I can replay certain scenes over and over again.I liked Elisa in the first book but I love her in this one.I could finally completely connect with her and sense her huge character development.I really like Mara and Storm,too.And that last moment with Ximena,wow,
*4.5 stars*
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
What a difference the introduction makes. I'll admit that the first time around, I abandoned this book because I could not get past the beginning. Ok, Elisa almost dies several times, her country is in chaos, but they are the most boring murder attempts/civil unrest possible. I don't think it's the writing, it's just tossing events after events at us with little character development that made the beginning intolerable for me, however action-packed it was.

However, past page 90 is where the book
Lindsey Rey
LOOOOOOVE THIS SERIES! So much goodness and brilliance!
Sarah Terese *Kili!*
Mar 06, 2015 Sarah Terese *Kili!* rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Well, if you liked the first one, give it a go. I guess.
Oh no. Here I am again. The odd one out. The one person who just didn't like this book.
More of a review to come...

WARNING! SARCASM AND MILD HUMOR TO COME!! STEER CLEAR IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC!! Sorry about that. I've learned that sometimes you have to set up these little disclaimers for the "die-hard-fans-of-books" who will attack you for giving a book a bad review. Am I not allowed to have opinions here anymore? Are we suddenly living in "dystopian fiction" world? Because I threw that world

While this sequel wasn't as intense as the first one, I still enjoyed it just as much.
Elisa was just as strong of a heroine as she was in the first book. I loved the romance between Hector and Elisa. I was actually wary of Hector just because of how much I loved Humberto...But Hector isn't one of those male characters that tries to take the other love interest's place. His relationship with Elisa was totally different than Humberto's and that's something
Jun 13, 2014 Brigid rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love confident and intelligent heroines
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Crown of Embers by Rae Carson Review

Holy Fuck, a book without insta-love! There must be a blue moon or something, right?

Rae Carson may be one of the few authors of Young Adult fiction I love most. Here’s why: she doesn’t slut shame, she doesn’t write insta-love, she writes realistic character development, and she has the heroine save herself instead of the male lead swooping in.

But, she also does something I feel was quite brave: she created a story line that has a big influence on
Maria (highinthebooksky)
what can I say... this book totally surprised me
it was the second time I picked it up and well I'm glad I did

I think this trilogy has very unique elements ... like the godstones and the at the beginning chubby protagonist ...

but what I really liked in this book was how the relationships between all the characters developed and changed...

hector for instant was such a revelation for me! his relationship with elisa really made this book fun and interesting
they were so sweet and sometimes awkward w
Andie (_HalfBl00dPrincess)
Oh wow! What a fantastic follow up to The Girl of Fire and Thorns! And that cliffhanger!! I'm literally about to drive to the bookstore to hopefully find the last book because I simply cannot wait to know what happens next! I think, no I know, I have found a new OTP.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
This series just keeps getting better and better!!

I love these characters and the story that keeps unfolding
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4.5 Stars

THE CROWN OF EMBERS was an EXPLOSIVE READ that I absolutely LOVED!! It took me on the ride of my life, and filled me with such awesomeness that kept me up reading late into night, craving just one-more-chapter I couldn't get enough of!!! I loved the world building, the characters, the villains, the magical aspects, frankly, I loved just about every single thing in this novel, no, i
Perfection! I am in love with this series, full review to come later.
Faye, la Patata
;_; I wish I wrote this myself. SO GOOD!!! My feels for Hector and Elisa are all over the place. I think I reread one scene more than ten times while I imagined myself in Elisa's shoes... ahhhhhhh where is my Hector?!
OMGosh I am DYING OVER THIS COVER!! So excited to get my hands on this one, the first book was AMAZING!! :D
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I love fantasy. I loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I desperately wanted to read The Crown of Embers and be blown away, like I was with The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Was I? Oh, hells yeah. Abso-freaking-lutely, I was! It was amazing and perfect and captivating and when I was reading, the rest of the world dropped away and I had eyes only for this book. (Seriously, I looked up that first night while reading and realized that everyone in my house had already gone to bed, and it was nearing midnigh ...more
Sep 18, 2012 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: arcs
I put off reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns for quite a while, and was schooled on that when I read it and loved it. What actually spurred me was that I borrowed an ARC of The Crown of Embers, so I was lucky to finish the first and immediately begin the second. This sequel absolutely did not disappoint! I just might have loved it more than the first, it's that good.

We saw Elisa grow up so immensely in The Girl of Fire and Thorns that it's hard to believe she has any left to do, but boy does sh
Stephanie • No BS Book Reviews
Me. At the end. of this book:

A PLAGUE UPON YOUR HOUSE, RAE CARSON. <--Said with Love, adoration, and appreciation.

You know that feeling when you're reading a book, and you just know that it is literary gold? Yeah, this was it. THIS is it. This series is byfar one of the best written I have EVER...EVER read. This book was real. The characters were real, their situations were believable, the risk, the loss, the love, the fear, the joy, the pain, the EMOTION, REAL. I am wholeheartedly invested
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Who knew that underneath his mustache Hector was one big pile of swoon-inducing charm? (By the way, I want to thank the author for having him shave it this book, much obliged)

I hadn't read the first book in FOREVER. So when I got this one, I wasn't all anxious to read it. But then I read it. And I didn't put it down. And Elisa is so strong. And Hector is so sweet. And I loved loved LOVED it.

There was so much adventure. So much character development. So much complex politics. So much love from me
On the surface, there is a lot to like about The Crown of Embers. The writing flows nicely, the book is not as lengthy as most fantasy novels, and the main character undergoes an identity crisis of sorts, struggling to reconcile the things she desires most with her duties as Queen and the bearer of the Godstone.

What went wrong? A lot.

One issue is that the author attempts to create an epic forbidden romance - and fails. The reasons Hector and Elisa cannot be together are weak. Elisa is propositio
Kimberley doruyter
she is so brave ans a little stupid.
''And my heart sinks to think that dancing with me may be yet another duty for him. But then I can't think of anything at all, for his hand has slipped around my waist to pull me toward him. Holding my gaze, his left hand slides gently down my forearm to my fingers. He entwines them with his own and spins me into the center of the floor.''

Let me sort my thoughts, because I wasn't expecting this. AT ALL! I read The Girl of Fire and Thorns at the beginning of this year, and I enjoyed it
Book perfection. The End.
I've been on a fantasy kick lately and I enjoyed this book. It was a good story, a good plot, well-written, depth of character, and so on.

However, I am not a big fan of nuts in my brownies. I have nothing against nuts in general, nor do I have a problem with people who like nuts in their brownies. I just really don't like biting into a delicious brownie only to discover a hidden nut. It ruins the whole brownie experience for me.

I read a lot of young adult fiction because that is what my kids li
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Vessel
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)
  • The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
  • Sorrow's Knot
I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I now live in Arizona with my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about questions I don't know the answers to.
More about Rae Carson...

Fire and Thorns (3 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3) The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5) The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7) Walk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer, #1)

“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.” 199 likes
“A quarterstaff is not very subtle. Or handy. If an kidnapper comes at me, what am I supposed to do? Say, 'Excuse me, my lord, while I pull my enormous quarterstaff out of my bodice?” 84 likes