Start by marking “Fourth Sunday: The Journey of a Book Club” as Want to Read:
Fourth Sunday: The Journey of a Book Club

Fourth Sunday: The Journey of a Book Club

What happens when a real life book club decides to write their own novel? The result is a fresh, fun story about a group of women who have more in common than just the books they read.

Fourth Sunday written by B.W. Read (aka “Because We Read”) is the tale of seven women and their journey towards friendship by way of a simple book club. Over time, their friendship grows b
Published May 10th 2011 by Strebor Books

To ask other readers questions about Fourth Sunday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourth Sunday

Lisa
Jul 15, 2011 Lisa rated it did not like it
I joined a book club and this is the first book that was chosen. This is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read - no wait, that was "Elegance of the Hedgehog" but for different reasons.

Fourth Sunday is like reading someone's book report. There is no color, no descriptions of things, no interesting plot, nothing. I mean, the plot sounded lame from the get go (A book about a book club, written by.... a book club!). I only finished it so I could fully discuss at book club, both otherwise I w
Jonetta
May 05, 2011 Jonetta rated it really liked it
Fourth Sunday is the name of a book club organized by a group of women who live in the Washington D. C. metropolitan area. All are successful, professional women who embrace life and are highly accomplished.

The book club serves as the connection for seven of the women who are the focus of Fourth Sunday, which is when the club meets. The meetings are held at the homes of the members with the host being responsible for providing meals and other sustenance. The conversation is lively and intimate,
Valerie
May 12, 2011 Valerie rated it liked it
This was the first selection in our newly formed book club. We will be discussing it on July 11th and I can't wait!

This book was an easy, ficitional read, based loosely on an actual book club. At times, it was hard to keep the 7 women straight, but it was easy to connect with each woman and her trials in life. It was interesting to get a peak into their lives and what made them who they are. I'm not sure which of the 7 ladies I would most connect with (Gwen, Camille, Natalie, Adriane, Destiny, A
Ashley
Sep 27, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
I just finish reading this book and was very disappointed. First of all there were too many characters to keep up with. The topics that were being discussed were so detailed it was ridiculous. To say this book was about a bookclub it was not centered around the bookclub it focused mainly on what the characters interest were in there personal life. On the bright side it was well written with no errors, if they were to write another book I would give them a second chance.
Kelly
Jun 03, 2011 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in starting a book club
This was the first book in my book club. I had a hard time keeping up with all the different members, but I did enjoy their stories. I found myself flipping back and fourth in the book trying to keep up with who was who and what was going on. It was hard for me to finish and did not feel the desire to keep reading it and the only reason I did was because it was for the book club.
Bonnie Carruth
Nov 06, 2011 Bonnie Carruth rated it did not like it
Possibly the worst book I ever read and I have read some stinkers. Supposedly written by seven different members, of a book club with each author taking one character, all the fictional characters sound like the same person. All are well educated,upwardly mobile women who begin the book a ciphers and finish the same way.

Oh and Senator Rednecky?
Jun 06, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Would not have chosen this one on my own, but it was the first book selected for my new bookclub. The idea of this novel is that it is a book written by the members of a book club, about the members of a book club. It was reasonably entertaining, some parts better than others. But the writing was just so bad!
Priscilla
Aug 25, 2011 Priscilla rated it liked it
Parts of the book was technical and boring; some parts (peri-menopause) was informative and others I just did not get. I did not see any cohesiveness in the friendships. I was disappointed with this book.
Reader's Paradise
Jun 28, 2011 Reader's Paradise rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
Its official I believe this is the 5th or 6th "Zane Presents" novel that I have enjoyed, Fourth Sunday being the most recent. From the cozy cover to the ink inside, this book really allowed me to say I have seven new friends. Let me introduce you:

Gwendolyn Nichols - OB-GYN who has a goofy relationship with Sloan

Natalie Sears - spends most of her time working, when she is not at a book club meeting

Adriane Butler - married to Tim and her baby is the first one born in the book, this their 1st child
Kelly
Mar 28, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
This book left me with mixed feelings and I believe I would rate it a wash emotionally. The book follows seven characters that are connected by a book club. The book club connects them and creates a bond that leads to women to become more like sisters than friends.

Things I liked:
*I loved the premise of the book. A gathering of that many professional, african-american women who have a passion or are at least open to reading and bonding is something I love to hear about.

*I enjoyed seeing the diffe
Te'Amo
Aug 12, 2011 Te'Amo rated it liked it
Shelves: purchased
I was drawn to this book for two reasons initially, because Zane presented it and also it was about a book club. I have my own book club so I was curious to see what this novel entailed. I had the opportunity to meet the authors of Fourth Sunday and they are all very lovely ladies.

In Fourth Sunday we meet 7 ladies that are all initially brought together for the sole purpose of reading and discussing books once a month. Being in this book club allowed them to form bonds and become great friends,
Jan Kellis
Jan 19, 2013 Jan Kellis rated it liked it
Eryn
Jun 20, 2014 Eryn rated it it was ok
I have to agree with Lisa mentioned below, this book was dull, and the only reason I continued to read it was that I live by the golden rule when reading books; To read it until the end. That was a chore in itself.

The characters were easy enough to relate to but the story wasn't told like a story sometimes. It's hard to describe but the book was plain bad, no shade. I gave it a two because the storyline was different from any other book, original.. but just not good. Also another save for the b
OOSA
Sep 11, 2011 OOSA rated it really liked it
The Bonds of Sisterhood

“Fourth Sunday” is a novel about seven professional women who form a book club. Out of the formation of the book club, the women build solid friendships and they share their life experiences with one another. No subject is off-limits for the book club members to discuss and to share their opinions on such as their careers, relationships, and simply everyday life.

“Fourth Sunday” was quite refreshing to read since it focuses on the lives of professional, African-American wom
Lynnski
Dec 06, 2013 Lynnski rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
The story itself could have made for a good novel but I didn't think it was written well. It didn't flow. Conversations felt too "scripted" rather than natural. The story would be taken over by unneeded information (i.e. - I now know everything one needs to know about perimenopause and menopause). When making a comparison, too many items were compared rather than just using a couple. Inconsistency when referencing true life (i.e. - it was OK to reference the Washington Bullets (Wizards' prior na ...more
Carla Lambert
Jul 04, 2015 Carla Lambert rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Being in the medical field myself, I related to a lot of the challenges these women faced personally and professionally. They were very real to me and many of the books they read, I also read during the same timeframe. I viewed them as contemporaries and felt they mirrored a lot of what my own friends and I went through/are going through. There were a lot of main characters but because their stories were so different and interesting to me I had very little trouble keeping up. ...more
Joi
Jul 28, 2014 Joi rated it liked it
This book was only okay for me. I liked the fact that we got to know all of the characters in their own way. It just seemed to me that this book was so focused on the women's relationships with men. I did not like this aspect of the book because I believe that there is more to a woman than her relationship with her significant other.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, it wasn't great but I am glad that I read it.
Lisa Lewis
Aug 27, 2012 Lisa Lewis rated it it was ok
The book seems to be less about the journey of a book club and more about the journey of the individual characters and they're friendships and relationships with their significant others. There was quite a bit of detail that didn't seem to be necessary. I kept reading, but, I'm not sure what I was hoping for. It was different.
Tina
Sep 09, 2012 Tina rated it did not like it
Painful. No overall common theme. Felt like I was reading 5 different stories that were put into a book. Typical African American story line that I have read far too many times. Marriage, divorce. Social success etc. cars, houses, $$$.
Monika
Feb 25, 2012 Monika rated it it was ok
Didn't really enjoy the bioko. There were too many major characters and it was difficult to distinguish between them. As I was reading I often wondered in the middle of the chapter which character was speaking. I also felt that the stories of the characters weren't integrated very well.
Keisha Streeter-Clark
Mar 24, 2013 Keisha Streeter-Clark rated it really liked it
I read this book for my book club and four I the authors came to our meeting! The story is loosely based upon there lives so it was a real treat. You will find that this books touches the full spectrum of emotions. Defiantly a good read.
Cema
Sep 28, 2011 Cema rated it liked it
What I did like about the book is how some details were given to educate readers on certain information that we may not be aware of. Although I expected more from it, it was ok.
Arburtha
Nov 23, 2011 Arburtha rated it liked it
It was entertaining. Somewhat predictiable, but fun!
Trish
Nov 11, 2012 Trish rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but I sometimes mixed up the seven main characters. This book shows how good book groups can change lives and lead to lifelong friendships.
Friendlyfire
While these are not professional writers, I think they held their own among more seasoned writers. It was a light enjoyable read.
S Kathryn
S Kathryn rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Lashanda
Lashanda rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Deborah Liz
Deborah Liz rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2017
WineGalAl
WineGalAl rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2013