The Road Ahead

The Road Ahead

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  1,569 ratings  ·  77 reviews
What is the information highway? How will the new technology change our lives? Do I have to learn to use a computer? Will my job become obsolete? Welcome to The Road Ahead. We have all been bombarded by the seemingly endless hype about the information highway and the coming age of technology. Now, Bill Gates - who built Microsoft into one of the most successful companies i...more
Published January 1st 1995 by Viking Books

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StolliWoz by Steve Wozniak
Silicon Valley
77th out of 200 books — 215 voters
Legend by Marie LuClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickThe Haunted by Jessica VerdayThe Hidden by Jessica Verday
Good Reads
30th out of 57 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Saeed Almazrouei
This book is about The Road Ahead and it tells us new ideas and new ways of doing things. For more than 500 years people have used paper to hold ideas and information. There will still be paper in the future, but there will also be other new ways. As the book says the computer has already changed our lives. Also the computer offers faster communications. Computers are used for many things like part of business work for markets and money, Also it is used for education. It is a beginning for new t...more
Michael Fogleman
I read this only a few years after it came out, as a little boy. It really stretched my mind and forced me to start thinking about the future.
ali
Feb 19, 2007 ali rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: i see thi book on the net
Shelves: aboutmywork
i learn i could get evrything from life that i want .but bill gates never learn to respect to other brain.
Senthil Kumaran
I had found this book very inspiring. I liked the vision Bill gates shares in this one, namely "A computer running Microsoft Windows on everyones desk". This book, I believe, from the early days of Microsoft and had really thought on future world with ubiquitous computing. I liked to so much that I inherited some of his thoughts on future home design and tried it at my house while building (wherein there would be phone on all rooms and only phone near the person would ring (this was before cell...more
Javi
Bill Gates’ “The Road Ahead” is non-fiction publication in which Gates writes about how we are on the brink of a complete cultural and technological revolution. He outlines major technological innovations of the past that have led to this and how we are being affected by it right now. He also shares his own theories regarding the innovations of the future and how they will affect the average American household. This book was written in 1995, a time in which Microsoft was still a developing compa...more
Johnny Galt
Written in 1995. I read it in 2013 and most of it is still relevant. It is relevant because Bill Gates was on on the forefront of computers back then and could see the many directions and ways computers would affect us in the future. This book is fascinating and also amusing in ways which the internet and technology did not go the way he predicted. A solid book. It is a keeper for me and I will probably read it again in a few years.
Jim Razinha
It took me a while to get to this book...had it on my shelf for 15 years before the library was lost last year...but in this case, the lateness afforded a hindsight check on his predictions. Unlike Ray Kurzweil's wild imaginings, Gates was pretty spot on. He didn't anticipate the power of the smartphone, but he hinted at corollaries.

I've read three books by three of the big four (Jobs, Gates, Woz & Allen), and Isaacson's bio of Jobs, and Jobs was by far the least of them all - in intellect a...more
إيمان ملال
في البداية كان الكتاب جميلاً. يحكي فيه بيل غيتس عن حياته وكيف تحدى الصعاب لتكون مايكروسوفت ما هي عليه الآن. لكن في النهاية بدأ يتحدث عن مسائل متخصصة جدا في التكنلوجيا وتفاصيل لم تكن تهمني على الإطلاق.
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
"...finding a job will be easier if you have embraced the computer as a tool." ~ Bill Gates, The Road Ahead, p. 258

I found this book like reading the prophets of the old testament and Bill Gates is the prophet and the things he is saying are predicting what will happen in the future of the technological highway.

Because this book was written in 1995, you begin to see that Bill Gates was not too far off from the mark. I believe that is why Microsoft has had tremendous success...that being the lead...more
مروان المريسي
i learned that Bill Gates was a great man !
and.. Microsoft was a wanderful company, but it gone!
welcome to google and googling
Karen
I got this at a library book sale. It was written by Bill Gates in 1995 who predicted how computers, and especially the internet, would change the world. When I think about the state of the internet at that time, I am impressed at how well Gates anticipated many of the ways it changed my life.

Many breakthroughs like eBay developed as predicted, but it’s almost as interesting to see what things didn’t develop the way he thought they would. Some were attempted but haven’t really caught on (reviews...more
Sukan Sethi
When I read it in 1996, just a few days after I installed Windows 95 on my computer, I felt that Gates was writing science fiction.
His prediction of a tablet computer back then sounded like something from Star Trek.
But look at today, it's tablets everywhere and one has to take a tablet for headache to decide which tablet computer to buy.
I read it again, this time to understand how his genius mind works, and for other clues and visions that have not showed up yet.
Chirag Gupta
A 1995 book being read in 2014. His idea and vision of information highway is way too awesome. He has already described what Google has been up to for past few years. Too bad, Microsoft couldnt catch up even though Bill Gates had the vision. As for the book, a good read. :)
J. Ewbank
Bill Gates is always an interesting character and read just because of who he is.

In this book he tackles what he thinks will be the future of the internew and what he calls the "information highway." This he believes is the future.

He is highly optomistic about what the future has in store for us on this highway.

He believes we are at the crossroads of this highway and what it will become and he offers suggestions as to what it should be and how we should get there.

Anyone interested in computers a...more
Naoya Minobe
7word summary rich successuful method history computer device Internet

Q1 In the book, Bill gates tells something connected to Internet, and talk about the computer device that connected to our life, so How often do you use Internet and what for??

A1 I always use Internet use some online shops such as zozotown. I especially use Amazon. When I was using the site, I sometimes have some goods in the basket witout noticing.

Q2 As you know, Bill gates is one rich man in the world, so if you have a lot o...more
Gideon
Absolutely big fun for a computer enthusiast that grew up in the nineties.

And mind-boggling how accurate his predictions were.
Peter
(pre-Goodreads)

Enjoyed it.

Estimated date.
Victor Merling
I remember reading this book back when it was new, and getting really excited about what was to come in the future.
15 years later, not all of it came true (yet?), but lots of it did, and most of what hasn't still fells very much possible.
I would love to see a sequel of sorts, commenting on wich of his predictions did happen, why the ones that didn't, didn't and what else he sees happening in the future.
Bruury
It's a story about our life, and the prediction how it'll be going. Its talk about the past, present, and the future. The technology that influent our life, from recorder to iPod. Its telling us, how our life should be, with all of the technology that had been invented. Personal Computer is one of those invention that brings a big difference in our life. We can find more story in this book. Very Interesting!
Nicholas
May 05, 2013 Nicholas added it
Shelves: 2012-2013
Interesting book about one of the most influential figures in America. Bill Gates, the software mogul is probably the most intelligent man. The way he's advanced our technology these past decades is amazing. Also the way he sees our future is very bright because our future will only get better with technology.Talks about his struggles but how he overcomes them to create a software giant in Microsoft.
Gustavo Noronha
An interesting read, given the author is one of the most important individuals in the personal computer industry, but the book is not very interesting when it comes to content. It's full of common-place predictions, and commentary. The best part of the book, to me, is when Bill Gates describes how "positive feedback loops" pushed Windows to become the dominant platform, and how they went about doing that.
Joseph
Bill Gates is the original tech-founder and Harvard-dropout. His perspective is entrepreneurial but dated. As his company and stature grew, so did his emphasis on big business and infrastructure over novelty and innovation. He is a talented CEO and impressive author but the book is in need of a updated edition. This is a easy read but not strongly recommended.
Ramy
كتاب رائع .. يتكلم عن الانترنت و مستقبل العالم ما بعد الانترنت ....و مستقبل جهاز الكمبيوتر نفسه ...كتاب ظريف و مبسط من رجل ذو عقل كبير ...يصف كيفية تغير البنية المعروفة للكمبيوتر و تحوله من جهاز منولى ل جهاز محمول ل حواسيب مصغرة ... ثم حواسيب مدمجة ب الاجهزة المنزلية ...ثم حواسيب متناهية الصغر فى علامات البار كوود ....حواسيب الكمومية و حواسيب الدى ان ايه ....
Charlane Brady
Interesting to learn about Bill Gates and his predictions at the time.
He gives a portion of the proceeds of this book to support teachers who incorporate computers into their classrooms. He believes the greatest benefit of the information highway is the application of technology to education (formal and informal).

Kaling Siram
what he said is all true almost today. the only thing he didnt much concentrate was on the negative effects of tecnology. anyway this a nice book and i really had a fun reading. being honest with you i have finished this book within 48 hrs. just two days, i wonder how? let me guess . "am i the billgates of 21st cenctuary.
Thomas
Well it is always interesting reading a book about technology that is almost two decades old as it does give perspective on what they thought technology would look like in the future. I must say that he was right about a lot of things but off on a few things. Overall it was a pretty decent read that was worth reading.
Yandong Liu
While Mr. Gates definitely spent time on visioning the future (as the book title suggests), I was more interested in his personal development as well as the history of Microsoft. Some chapters got boring to me as far as I can recall (I read it many years ago). So this is not the right book for me.
Vikram Kamath
I read this book sometime in 2010 and by then, most of what is in this book was absolutely obsolete. But given that this book was published in '95, it's amazing to see how far ahead Bill Gates saw into the future and how so much of what he saw actually turned out the way he predicted!
Jwalant
Jul 05, 2007 Jwalant rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: IT People
Shelves: technology
Just started, but quite interesting to know that how the technology progresses and a smart person like Mr. Gates can see and predict and even affect the way it is going on and going to be.
Make me more optimistic about the future of technology and the impact from a common man.
  • Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire
  • Made in Japan: Akio Morita and Sony
  • Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • Being Digital
  • iCon: Steve Jobs, the Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
  • Powershift: Knowledge, Wealth, and Power at the Edge of the 21st Century
  • The Motley Fool You Have More Than You Think: The Foolish Guide to Personal Finance
  • iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It
  • Iacocca: An Autobiography
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • The Google Story: Inside the Hottest Business, Media, and Technology Success of Our Time
  • Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple : A Journey of Adventure, Ideas, and the Future
  • The Peter Principle
  • Googled: The End of the World as We Know It
  • What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School: Notes From A Street-Smart Executive
  • Accidental Empires
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
William Henry Gates III (born October 28, 1955) is an American entrepreneur, software executive, philanthropist and chairman of Microsoft, the software company he founded with Paul Allen. During his career at Microsoft he has held the positions of CEO and chief software architect, and he remains the largest individual shareholder with more than 8% of the common stock.
More about Bill Gates...
Business @ the Speed of Thought: Succeeding in the Digital Economy The Impatient Optimist: Bill Gates in His Own Words. Edited by Lisa Rogak Los Negocios En La Era Digital History of the Fort William Henry Hotel Business at the Speed of Thought: Level 6 (Penguin Readers (Graded Readers))

“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.” 73 likes
“I didn't say this.” 7 likes