Start by marking “Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force” as Want to Read:
Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force

Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Proven effective by scientific research and presented here by Dr. Dharma Singh Khalsa and Cameron Stauth, the practice of Medical Meditation revolutionizes the healing process. By balancing and regenerating the body's ethereal and physical energies through simple meditations, Medical Meditation unites the mind, body, and spirit into a powerful triad.

Each Medical Meditatio
Published February 22nd 2011 by Atria Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Meditation As Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditation As Medicine

Isabel Barreto
Feb 11, 2008 Isabel Barreto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meditation is a crucial tool that we can use so we are able to control our minds, lives, and emotions instead of having them control us. This book explores different exercises that we can do to cure certain ailments, or issues. Our lives are a product of what we think, what we think about manifests, so why not direct our thoughts to the path we want to go to. Dr. Dharma is very passionate about brain longevity and a credible Dr. as well as a practioner and teacher of Kundalini Yoga.
Jeremiah
Given to my by Clare, this book offers specific breathing, yoga and chants to heal your body. An examination of the seven or eight 'chakras' representing different areas of the body for ethereal healing are then explored. The book starts with the medical studies that show the benefits of meditation up to page 63. As a frequent meditater, I can attest to the positive benefits to this practice. After that through, the book progresses through the each of the seven chakras, their associated body ele ...more
Janice
Feb 06, 2008 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have many friends holding on to their tattered, worn copy that they picked up after i suggested it. this is a keeper - the ultimate yoga reference.
Manny Arocho
This amazing book shows us how to incorporate mudras, asanas, and chanting for a meditative practice.
Phil Calandra
Oct 21, 2014 Phil Calandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book that I have read by Dharma Singh Khalsa and, in all probability, the most important. The book is a multi prong approach of achieving maximum health including nutrition, stress management, exercise and pharmaceuticals. "Meditation as Medicine" is an in depth focus on the importance of "Medical Meditation" in which Kundalini Yoga is the primary component. The explanations and diagrams are very clear and easy to understand if one chooses to follow this program. I would highl ...more
Ingrid Exner
Jan 08, 2015 Ingrid Exner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone interested in relaxation and healing
For me, Meditation As Medicine became a pivotal primary resource when I was writing my own e-book on health and wellness. Written in a very straight forward way (including diagrams of exercises and poses) this all-in-one book is a perfect combination of physical, medical, spiritual and psychological wellness information. Meditation as Medicine... is chalk full of invaluable information about human anatomy, relaxation, the names of various poses and the specific ailments in which they help to rel ...more
Ingrid Exner
Mar 09, 2013 Ingrid Exner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read about Karen Salzberg when I started practising Loving Kindness. I wanted to update and streamline my meditation and read that she had written a book, Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation- A 28 Day Program. I LOVE this book. It is appropriate for beginners as well as those who have been doing meditation for a number of years. Aside from talking about meditation as a whole, Karen discusses Mindfullness, Concentration, Happiness and really all the "nuts and bolts" that make up meditation. ...more
Shawn Murray
Oct 23, 2015 Shawn Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for healing with mantras, meditations and healing exercises. Great book for awakening and shifting conscious individuals
Karen Hyatt
Dec 08, 2014 Karen Hyatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started practicing Kundalini Meditation/Yoga and was encouraged to read this book. I was absolutely amazed at all the information that this book contained. I learned so much. I am adding this book to one I want to own and have on my shelf for quick reference. I recommend this to anyone in the pursuit of healing and good health.
Deb
Sep 08, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book offers some science about how and why meditation benefits one's health (and Dr. Dharma Singh Khalsa issues a standing offer to share further evidence). I found the information contained here valuable -- the right chanting meditations really have changed my outlook and how I physically feel.
Debra Brunk
Jan 25, 2013 Debra Brunk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in better understanding the mind-body connection and the potential power of meditation. The author provides a lot of case studies, which are interesting to read, as well as a number of targeted meditations.
Fred
Jul 07, 2012 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was in collaboration with Dharma Singh Khalsa, M D. His meditations and mantras are based on kundalini yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan. Dr Khalsa and Ms Stauth also collaborated in writing two other books, Brain Longevity and The Pain Cure.
Colette
Mar 01, 2015 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, health, 2015
I learned a lot. It's probably not for everyone, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I need to think more about the things Dharma Singh Khalsa explains in this book.
Brittany Neutron
Jan 01, 2015 Brittany Neutron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. I've purchased more than one copy to loan out. I feel like there's important advice, and that he has included sufficient sources.
Jessica
May 13, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wish he would have explained more about how the mudras affect healing. Otherwise, a decent read, and useful for anyone who wants to try meditation.
Jeremy
Mar 19, 2008 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get as much out of this as other meditation books but it introduced me to Khundalini Yoga which I do get a bit out of.
Jesse Stamell
Jan 15, 2012 Jesse Stamell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you will not regret buying this book - use it as a guide to physical and mental health!
Mar 28, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
you need to believe in the power of meditation to heal to use this.
Becca
Interesting read, excellent reference.
Tara Cerrone
Apr 28, 2009 Tara Cerrone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far,I am inspired
Priscilla Bermudez
Priscilla Bermudez marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Siân
Siân marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Cassandra Smith
Cassandra Smith rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Mitzi  Mullins
Mitzi Mullins marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Lillian Zhang
Lillian Zhang marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Marissa Jager
Marissa Jager rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Angel Montague
Angel Montague is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Meditation As Medicine Dharma Singh Khalsa 1 10 May 30, 2009 08:38PM
  • Kundalini Yoga
  • Energetic Boundaries: How to Stay Protected and Connected in Work, Love, and Life
  • Research Methods for Social Work
  • Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts: A Review of the Scientific Evidence
  • Hearts at Home (Heavenly Daze, #5)
  • How Clean is Your House
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Direct Social Work Practice: Theory and Skills [With Infotrac]
  • Smoke and Mirrors: The War on Drugs and the Politics of Failure
  • Parenting the Ephraim's Child: Characteristics, Capabilities, and Challenges of Children Who Are Intensely More
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
  • 20,000 Secrets of Tea: The Most Effective Ways to Benefit from Nature's Healing Herbs
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui
  • The Eight Human Talents: Restore the Balance and Serenity within You with Kundalini Yoga
  • Emotion Code: How to Release Your Trapped Emotions for Abundant Health, Love and Happiness

“The secrets of advanced meditation were shrouded in secrecy because of respect for, and even fear of, their innate power. Just as governments guard state secrets of power, the ancient yoga masters guarded these secrets of spiritual power. They believed that power has the capacity to corrupt, and that it would be disastrous for the wrong person to learn these secrets.” 0 likes