Start by marking “Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)

Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp #2)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,145 Ratings  ·  1,397 Reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Vince Flynn is back with another nail-biting political thriller that follows the young Mitch Rapp on a deadly mission to hunt down the men responsible for the Pan Am Lockerbie terrorist attack.
Published February 7th 2012 by Emily Bestler Atria Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Kill Shot, please sign up.

Bill Cauley The first book, chronologically, is American Assassin. The complete series in chronological order can be found here.

…more

American Assassin by Vince FlynnTransfer of Power by Vince FlynnKill Shot by Vince FlynnConsent to Kill by Vince FlynnMemorial Day by Vince Flynn
Best Thrillers Ever
3rd out of 113 books — 105 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnBlue Coyote Motel by Dianne HarmanLearn To Love Me by Sinead MacDughlasCatch Me by Lisa GardnerTaken by Robert Crais
Best Suspense/Thrillers/Mysteries of 2012
9th out of 115 books — 376 voters

More lists with this book...

Domenico
Mar 19, 2012 Domenico rated it really liked it
It's very difficult to write a good prequel (cf. the Phantom Menace) and especially a good espionage thriller prequel (cf. Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit), so it's impressive that Vince Flynn has written two in a row. The author has to create suspense and jeopardy when you already know that certain key characters have to survive the book to show up in the stories covered in the earlier books.

In the previous book in the series, Flynn gave us the origins of the world's greatest terrorist hunter, Mitch Ra
Christy
Feb 09, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
Mitch Rapp is by far my favorite literary crush. Not exactly profound, I know, but I love him. This was another great effort by the always wonderful Vince Flynn. His writing always sucks you in so that you are part of the action. This was one of my favorites yet, and evoked a bit of the old school thriller writers like Ludlum. From the beginning, the hunter becomes the hunted.

In this sequel to American Assassin,Flynn connects the dots in the Mitch Rapp story and brings us through his first year
Jim
This is the second book in the chronology of Mitch Rapp, although it was published well after the third book. I worried about being disappointed, but found the plot was every bit as good as the first - even twistier. A good cast of believable characters & motives that wound up wonderfully!

Matt Helm & Quarry are getting a run for their money. On to the third, Transfer of Power.
Rachel Amphlett
Nov 25, 2014 Rachel Amphlett rated it really liked it
I'll admit it - I'm hooked on this series by Vince Flynn.

It's not just the Mitch Rapp character that continues to grow and develop, but the whole team and that's what makes this such a compelling story.

Whereas American Assassin covered Mitch's introduction to the team, in Kill Shot they are almost torn apart as secrets, lies, and betrayals are revealed and Mitch goes on the run to prove his innocence - or risk being killed by the very same people that trained him.

A superb cat-and-mouse plotline
Jay Connor
Mar 18, 2012 Jay Connor rated it really liked it
What happens when a character ages faster than his author? Think Tom Clancy’s “Jack Ryan,” Michael Connelly’s “Harry Bosch,” or here Vince Flynn’s “Mitch Rapp.” A corollary to this question could be what happens when a new author takes over a character: like “Jason Bourne,” who has recently been disfigured to the eternal posthumous embarrassment of the great Robert Ludlum.

Ryan was promoted to President and the series limped along with his son unconvincingly taking over the derring-do. Bosch was
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 29, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action
Mitch Rapp has his troubles. In the last few books Mr. Flynn has dropped back and given us Mitch's history, his beginnings in the CIA.

In the last outing we met some of the players that are here in this book. We also saw the genesis so to speak of the events here. This book while holding the mantel of action proudly around it's shoulders and being true to said mantel also manages to be somewhat of a "who done it". While it tells the story in the "The reader sees behind the curtain" mode it still
Daniel
Aug 19, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After meeting Stan Hurley in later books and witnessing his rapport with Rapp, I was surprised that Flynn set up Hurley as such a mean antagonist in Rapp's past. Knowing how everything would have to work out, this part of the story didn't hold my interest as much as Rapp building his reputation for assassinating individuals who were previously considered untouchable. In fact, I would have preferred that Flynn stuck to these missions and given them more time, as opposed to dealing with the rivalr ...more
Daniel Audet
Apr 13, 2012 Daniel Audet rated it really liked it
Vince Flynn has been in my personal Top 10 thriller authors for a long time. "Kill Shot" is another example why he is a major player and rides the bestseller lists consistently.
Mitch Rapp is a character with a unique edge and Flynn busts him loose after setting his own edge in this prequel edition. A shadowy government group with internal issues of it's own has Rapp in Paris to do what he does best. Only, some within the group are not Rapp's biggest fans, like his handler is. Now, he's on the ru
Corey
Aug 30, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing
This was my second book in the Mitch Rapp series and certainly not my last. It's Flynn's second prequel, and the sequel to American Assassin. I find the Rapp series very addictive and entertaining, like a good action/spy film! This time Rapp is on a routine assignment in Paris, France, but he is ambushed by several gunmen, and the whole mission is compromised. Rapp is on the run from the enemy and also his own agency, who has a mole and no one knows about it but Rapp.

Mitch Rapp is certainly a ma
Kelly
Mar 19, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, thrillers
I'm not sure if I can even be objective anymore when reading Vince Flynn. I love his writing, I love Mitch Rapp, I love everything about his books. I was very happy to have Thomas Stansfield back in the game in this one!
Jo
Aug 20, 2016 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp #2)
by Vince Flynn

Synopsis
For months, Mitch Rapp has been steadily working his way through a list of men, bullet by bullet. With each kill, the tangled network of monsters responsible for the slaughter of 270 civilians becomes increasingly clear. He
Ed [Redacted]
Jul 16, 2012 Ed [Redacted] rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, spy-vs-spy
When I was a wee teenage boy in the early 80's (yes I know, I'm old, so what, wanna fight?) I frequented my local public library, called a free library at the time, I don't know why, I never have been to a library where I had to pay. There was always numerous chromed wire racks (the kind that spin around) filled with what I guess were called "Men's Adventure" books. I picked up a copy of a series called "The Executioner" by Don Pendleton. My library didn't have #1 (War Against the Mafia)so I had ...more
Johnny Williams
Jul 16, 2016 Johnny Williams rated it it was amazing
OK this is my second in the series of Mitch Rapp. And I like this one just as much as the first one. I'm afraid I'm trapped into another series. ( yikes) Vince can certainly keep you sitting on the edge of your seat. And this character Mitch Rapp continues to get better and better with each book Vince Flynn has outdone himself and his character development is unmatched ....you feel like you know each and everyone of them inside and out. He also is your eyes and ears to every single scene as well ...more
Gary Proctor
Mar 17, 2012 Gary Proctor rated it really liked it
Finished this in a couple of days. This is a follow on to the last book going back to Rapp's early days with the CIA. The book is very good in fleshing out the back stories of several of the side characters and there is more meat here than in many of the books in the series, at the expense of some of the action that the others have. But the story is very good and this did not bother me at all. What did bother me and what kept me from giving it 5 stars, is the the ending seemed a bit to quick and ...more
Phizzycyst
Feb 15, 2012 Phizzycyst rated it it was amazing
Just finished Kill Shot. I've read all of Flynn's Rapp series and as with most all of them, I wish he was ready to put out the follow-up now! It was a great book. Not as "action packed" as some of the others with more scheming and behind the scene intrigue, but the last two books in the Rapp series have gone prequel and it kind of refreshed the series. Highly recommended if your into this type of book.

I often compare and try to decide which series I like best, the Rapp series by Flynn or the Sco
An Odd1
Apr 15, 2015 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: action
"Something was bothering him, but he couldn't place it" p 13. Mitch Rapp, "a one-man wrecking ball" p 6 works down list of those responsible for downing PanAm jet and his girlfriend then, until Tarek's ambush in a Paris luxury hotel sends him on the run. His CIA handler Irene Kennedy believes Mitch followed protocol, only shot target, not bystanders. Someone who could identify Mitch leaked the list to the enemy.

Monsigneur de Fleury, former Resistance, "kept his contacts with French Intelligence
Cathy
Feb 29, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
A love Vince Flynn's thrilling, action-packed spy intrigues, especially after reading Austen's Northanger Abbey. (yawn) His style is straight forward, easily understood, clear, to-the-point, etc. There is little use of poetic devices such as symbols, analogies, alliteration, etc. Just tells the story in the most exciting way possible. Refreshing.
The language is way too rough for the faint-of-heart, but is not out of character for hardened CIA assassins. Flynn always makes Mitch Rapp the most li
John
May 04, 2013 John rated it really liked it
This story was interesting in that it filled in a number of empty holes in the history of Mitch Rapp for me. As usual, Vince Flynn grabs your attention in the first chapter and doesn't let you go until the last page.

Rapp does all the things many of us would secretly envision happening to traitors but that none of us would actually do in real life. Which is the whole point of Mitch Rapp's existence! This story is nothing new in that quarter. However, Vince Flynn continues to engage me because he
Joe
Apr 19, 2012 Joe rated it liked it
Dissapointing. I like this type of multi-book spanning, gritty, lonely, super-tough character genre. For example I am a big fan of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels. I eat them up as they are released . And Vince Flynn has some good previous novels of this type. But this one didn't make it for me. It was I think, too introspective.

IMO a reader of this type of novel only wants to spend a reasonably limited time in the character's self-analyses and continuous self-absorbstions. "Why did I do it, who
Drew
May 29, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; NOVEMBER 6, 2016
Narrator: George Guidall

Rapp is addictive. As soon as I finished Kill Shot, I wanted to start on Book 3 but forced myself not to as I do need to have nights where I can sleep.

This 2nd installment kept me riveted and on tenterhooks. It appears that I started on the series out of order and am a little confused by what I've read in some reviews - that Flynn "restarted" the series by going back to Rapp's early days? Transfer of Power seems to be the first book so
Matt
Apr 24, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
While sequentially tossing me for a loop, Flynn's latest novel takes us back to the early days of Mitch Rapp and his work for the US Government. Filled with characters long gone (if you read the books in their sequential order) and setting the tone for the entire series, Flynn creates this highly compartmentalised character, full of piss and vinegar, ready to take on the world.

Knowing what I do now about the series, I could piece together some of the facts and tie up loose ends in my mind; thing
Nick Brett
Feb 10, 2012 Nick Brett rated it liked it
Following on from American Assassin, here we have the young Mitch Rapp a year into his role and racking up a considerable body-count. A job in Paris goes wrong and Mitch escapes wounded and on the run, from the authorities and from his colleagues.

This is slightly low on action and heavy on the way people manipulate the fall-out from Rapp’s mission. Rapp does seem too quick to go a little rogue, I am not sure the evidence was there to drive his decision which was a bit off-putting. As Rapp remain
Jay Deb
Dec 24, 2015 Jay Deb rated it really liked it
Gun fire breaks out in a hotel in Paris. Mitch Rapp is surrounded by gunmen but he survives with a shoulder wound. Rapp thinks he was set up but hides in Paris for the moment. The gun violence stirs a lot of feathers and soon CIA director and the training chief are all working on it while Rapp is still hiding. The corrupt Paris police chief knows everything about the terrorist and is helping them.
I was surprised that a bigger problem is not presented after the initial gunfire. The story of polit
Eric
Aug 25, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of gritty spy thrillers, such as the Bourne series
A worthy successor to American Assassin. Fast paced, exciting, and not absurd or unbelievable. Now my only dilemma is deciding whether to wait for future prequel installments -- American Assassin and Kill Shot, despite being the eleventh and twelfth in the Mitch Rapp series, are chronologically the first and second in the series -- or go back and read the first ten Rapp books in the catalog, about an older, more experienced Rapp, straightaway. I think I'll wait to see if Flynn announces whether ...more
Richard Stephenson
Aug 04, 2012 Richard Stephenson rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Vince Flynn is one of my favorite authors. Absolutely loved that Flynn gave us entire flashback devoted book giving us a look at a young Mitch Rapp.

Such a treat to see the characters from Rapp's world in their early days. Rapp and the grumpy Stan Hurley are in current day the closest of friends, but they didn't start out that way. They positively hated each other in the beginning.

Loved the intrigue and political cat and mouse that played out in this book.

If you love the Mitch Ra
Winter Sophia Rose
May 14, 2015 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Compelling, Action Packed, Intriguing, Twists, Turns & Surprises! An Outstanding Read! I Loved It!
Benjamin Thomas
Oct 24, 2014 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
Prequels for established series are always tough novels to write and I felt that American Assassin, the first prequel to the long running Mitch Rapp series suffered from trying to be a cross between an origin story and a thriller novel all wrapped in one. This book is the follow-up to 'American Assassin' and is a much more cohesive product.

Mitch Rapp has now completed his rookie time as a top-level assassin and has proven himself to such a great extent that he has recently been turned loose to p
Scott Thrift
Feb 18, 2012 Scott Thrift rated it it was ok
There's always been a similarity between Mitch and Jason Bourne, but it gets to the point that I found myself thinking "didn't he do that already...oh, wait, that was Bourne." Which would be forgive able if there was a lot of action or mystery, but there isn't much.

HOWEVER there is possibly the greatest line of any thriller I've ever read.

"Listen, dickhead, if I wanted shit out of you I'd come over there and squeeze your head." Sweet.
Skip
May 13, 2012 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
3.5 stars. Back to his early days as a black ops assassin, Mitch Rapp is killing off terrorists when he is caught in a trap and nearly killed. Convinced that he was set up, Mitch turns to his Swiss girlfriend for help, and then is almost killed by a rogue element with a personal grudge against Mitch. Action packed.
Secret agents 9 86 Aug 14, 2014 02:37PM
SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops...: Vince Flynn's 'Kill Shot' - a review 3 64 Mar 17, 2012 12:05PM
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • Locked On (Jack Ryan Universe, #14)
  • Ballistic (The Gray Man #3)
Vince Flynn died June 19, 2013 after losing his battle with prostate cancer.

The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988. After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist. In 1990 he l
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)

“[He] had seen firsthand the horrific results of appeasement. It was a path chosen by feebleminded people who were morally incapable of confronting evil. He saw many parallels between the Nazis, the communists, and these jihadists. They were all sociopaths at heart--obsessed with their own tribal desires and utterly incapable of conferring justice or compassion on those outside the tribe. If you were not one of them, you were a lesser human, and thus deserved to be treated in any way they saw fit. And if that meant blowing up airliners and buses full of innocent civilians, then so be it.” 5 likes
“So intense was Kennedy’s concentration that she hadn’t” 0 likes