Start by marking “Simple Food, Big Flavor: Unforgettable Mexican-Inspired Recipes from My Kitchen to Yours” as Want to Read:

From restaurateur (Centrico) and Food Network star (Chefs vs. City, Chopped, and Heat Seekers) Aarón Sanchez comes his fabulous new cookbook themed around 15 unforgettable Mexican flavor bases.

You’ve seen him on the Food Network’s Chopped, Chefs vs. City, and Heat Seekers. You’ve savored his lovingly prepared dishes at Centrico in New York City. Now, with Simple Food, Big
Published October 4th 2011 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Simple Food, Big Flavor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Food, Big Flavor

Evelyn
Jan 17, 2017 Evelyn rated it liked it
I haven't tried any of these recipes. The book is full of pictures. Food looks yummy!
Lindsey Duncan
Mar 16, 2016 Lindsey Duncan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, culinary
This book is built on a great concept: a series of sauces / bases that can be used for general purposes, each followed by specific recipes that incorporate it. I just wish it had gone further with the recipes. - it felt like a surface treatment to me. I probably aren't the one to judge this book, as I feel it is geared to a novice cook. It does a great job hand-holding for those who aren't familiar with Mexican flavors. To me, even the flavor text felt glossy and artificial, rather than a real e ...more
Melissa
Jun 07, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did actually read this book page by page, because it is not just a collection of recipes. Every recipe that I have followed from this book has been delicious, but what I appreciated even more was all the extra information in the book. Sanchez took the time to describe the flavor profiles and proper preparation of the more unfamiliar ingredients used throughout the book, such as tamarinds, aji amarillo paste, achiote paste, and at least five different types of chiles. Using that information, it ...more
Tonya
Nov 03, 2014 Tonya rated it really liked it
I love Mexican food, as does the entire family. I gleaned many new, delicious tips from this book, on authentic Mexican cooking. This book also instigated a new found love of tomatillos, and how to cook them. I do not read a lot of cookbooks anymore, but found this to be a valuable addition to my kitchen repertoire!
Monique
Jan 26, 2012 Monique rated it really liked it
Great cookbook...I love Aaron Sanchez from FOODTV and the show CHOPPED which I force my husband to watch with me. But seriously, this book has great ideas and recipes that translate easy from the book to your plate. The photos and explanations make all the difference in the world. This is a keeper!
Carmen Amato
Nov 30, 2013 Carmen Amato rated it it was amazing
Excellent cookbook built around a collection of sauces and salsa recipes. Lots of how-to tips thrown in for working with key ingredients like garlic, tomatoes, and peppers. Clear directions, in a fun, witty, style that truly showcases Mexican food and culture.
Vanessa
May 04, 2012 Vanessa rated it liked it
I love how this book is organized and I really enjoy Aaron Sanchez (his writing and what I've seen on TV) but the recipes have turned out just okay. I feel like I have better luck with Rick Bayless.
Jeanne
Dec 20, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
From a guru or Mexican cooking, this book has simple master recipes with several recipes for using them. Aji Amarillo Paste, Aaron's Adobo, Habanero Love, Aaron's Chorizo, Chile Colorado Sauce are some of the ones I can't wait to try. This will give me the Mexican kitchen I've been wanting.
Lynea
Jan 23, 2015 Lynea rated it did not like it
simple and easy for beginners venturing into hispanic cooking. I was hoping for more complex flavors and deeper Latino roots, but I did enjoyed the simple recipes and laid back approach to cooking.
Jillian
Apr 25, 2012 Jillian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't crazy about the recipes or the photos. Nothing really jumped out at me.
Roberta
May 22, 2012 Roberta rated it it was amazing
Not quite what I was expecting, but there is a lot of good stuff in there, particularly if you're looking to expand your Mexican cooking skills.
Michelle
Sep 18, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
So far I am loving all the ideas in this book!
Ge-ni-u-s
Ge-ni-u-s rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Nathan & Margie Grube
Nathan & Margie Grube rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Rebecca JW Jindra
Rebecca JW Jindra rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Fraser Agresta
Fraser Agresta rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Mychele
Mychele rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2011
Mike Stack
Mike Stack rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2012
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2012
Mike Trendel
Mike Trendel rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Tabitha Long
Tabitha Long rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Christina Coy
Christina Coy rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2017
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Steve Murray
Steve Murray rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Emilia G.
Emilia G. rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Michael R
Michael R rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2015
MariBeth
MariBeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016