Start by marking “Defiant Heart (Westward Hearts #1)” as Want to Read:
Defiant Heart (Westward Hearts #1)

Defiant Heart (Westward Hearts #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  296 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
In Book One of the Westward Hearts series, orphans Fannie Caldwell and her two young siblings have spent the last three years as indentured servants under a cruel master. Desperately wanting a better life for her brother and sister, Fannie devises a plan to secretly join a wagon train heading west. Her plan immediately runs into trouble when the handsome yet bullheaded wag ...more
Published May 8th 2007 by Avon Inspire

To ask other readers questions about Defiant Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiant Heart

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
490th out of 1,788 books — 2,190 voters
The Master's Plan by Stephany TullisA Deal with God by Michael HadenUnconditional by Tanya EavensonA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Gladiator by Carla Capshaw
Inspirational Romances
308th out of 569 books — 271 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Jul 11, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
Typical historical romance with a Western theme: Wagon-Train! With Spunky Down-on-Their-Luck Single Women! And Hunky Confirmed Bachelors Who Must Save These Spunky Ladies! With a Splash of Orphans! Stay Tuned for the Sequel: Savage Indians! Tired Oxen! More Spunk!

Of course, I was sucked into the drama. Is it wrong to say that gentle reads (i.e. Christian fiction) are like crack for me?
Mayda
Feb 13, 2016 Mayda rated it really liked it
It’s been a hard life for Fannie and her siblings, being indentured servants to a hard-hearted man who won’t let them go. But Fannie is determined free herself and her siblings from bondage. Her chance comes in the form a westward bound wagon train. Though much of this story is typical – brave, young woman meets handsome but stubborn man, outcome: romance – it is still an enjoyable and exciting story. Not all that happens is pleasant, and not all is easily predictable. A variety of well-develope ...more
Teresa Snyder
Jul 23, 2012 Teresa Snyder rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. It had a great story line and it wasn't one of those books that makes you so nervous you want to chew your nails before its finished. For me, I'm glad to be reading the book / series years after it was released; otherwise, I might have been slightly upset with the ending. Not because it wasn't a happy ending. It was for Blake and Fannie - happy, but not complete / finished - but left us wondering about Toni and some of the others. Lucky for me I also have the remaining ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jul 09, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
Orphan Fannie Caldwell and her twin siblings are trapped in an indentured servant relationship with a cruel master. Fannie desperately wants a better life for her siblings. They have to escape the abuse they have endured. Fannie comes up with a plan to secretly join a wagon train heading west. Her plan runs into a snag called Blake Tanner the wagon master. Seems he has rules about allowing unmarried woman on the train. But Fannie's determined to leave her abusive situation. She has planned and s ...more
Brooke
Apr 20, 2009 Brooke rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and would have given it 3.5 starts if I could. It is a quick read and the characters are well-developed. My only complaint was once again the end felt a bit rushed after the climatic part of the plot. Overall though I would recommend this book. I look forward to reading book two of this series.
Melissa
This book was a very quick read and sometimes very interesting. I generally liked it. But I can’t say much more beyond that. I thought it had a little bit of depth every now and then, some fairly good characters, and for the most part an intriguing plot line. But I did certainly think that Bateman could have gone much, much deeper with her characters and the things they were going through. And I would just like to see more meaning, something to make the story worth my while. Something that makes ...more
Mum
Jul 27, 2009 Mum rated it did not like it
It was trite, and not really credible. There was a lack of believable male characters. It started fine, but it fell flat.
Rachel Brand
I wish this book had been longer as I seemed to speed through it far too fast, and the ending felt a little rushed. Aside from that, this was a sweet, touching and funny story that will please many fans of western romances.

I did wish the romantic aspect had been a bit stronger, as Blake and Fannie seemed to go from hating each other to admitting that they actually cared for each other rather fast. Then again, it probably was fitting for the time period and the situation--how exactly do you cour
Margaret
Jun 05, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it
The book ends very abruptly to me it seems, but... I have the sequel on my bookshelf, so I'm okay. Fannie's life has seen rough days, she has lost both of her parents, left to take care of her younger twin siblings and sold by her supposed loving step-father immediately after her mother's death in childbirth to a stillborn. The man the three children were indentured to let the year of the contract end date come and go and the future looked bleak for nothing would change for Fannie and her dear b ...more
Strawberry
Apr 25, 2016 Strawberry rated it it was ok
This was a quick one day read, but I didn't think the ending believable. Blake's threat of Blythe Creek should have been fulfilled in the story not the ending readers were left with. Neither did I like that this was one of those book that their hero doesn't state his feeling until the last chapter. If you're looking for something more romantic than a one kiss book, try Deeanna Gist, Tamera Alexander or Julie Lessman, not Tracey Bateman.
Kathryn
May 18, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Sheri Salatin
Mar 23, 2009 Sheri Salatin rated it liked it
Fannie Caldwell was an indentured servant for the last 3 years. However when her contract expired last year, the hateful man who owns her and her siblings, refused to let them go.
Now, Fannie is determined to do anything to get away. She sets out to join a wagon train heading for Oregon.
Blake Turner is a the wagon master of a 250 wagon procession across the plains heading west. He is determined to keep his train's reputation clean by taking no trouble makers and especially no single women!
However
Heidi Pack
Dec 29, 2015 Heidi Pack rated it liked it
meh! not a waste of time, interesting story.
Kate
Aug 13, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
I really liked how this book grabbed me from the beginning and did not let go. (You know a book is good when you plan to read 2 chapters before bedtime, and all of a sudden, you've read 5!) I could relate to the characters (even though this was set in the 1800s), and cared what happened to them. There was a bit of romance, some adventure, a dash of danger, and friendships galore. I'm definitely going to be finishing the rest of the series ASAP! (4.5 stars if I could!)
Tina
Nov 13, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
I prefer reading over audio books. But I listen to a lot of books only because my exercise is walking and of course I would rather listen to a book than music. But I usually just tolerate the narrators because I tend to get distracted when a man tries to sound like a woman or whatever. But I just have to say that Katherine Kellgren was awesome. I can't wait to listen to other books that she has narrated.
Phoena
Apr 19, 2011 Phoena rated it liked it
This is just a pioneer somewhat-religious romance novel about a wagon train headed to Oregon. It's one of those throw-away books you read on a trip or when sick in bed for a couple of days. It's mildly entertaining but not terribly exciting.

There are two more books in the series about two other couples in the wagon train, but I didn't bother to read the other two.
Tausha
Aug 12, 2013 Tausha rated it liked it
3.5

This book really drew me in, but there were several things that rubbed me wrong. I loved the spunk of the heroine, but the bad guys were truly nasty! The ending seemed very abrupt. I liked it, but haven't decided if I want to read the next one.
Karen Fonville
Mar 19, 2011 Karen Fonville rated it really liked it
This is an Excellent book. Light, engaging, and easy to read, while providing some deeper themes to think about. I started and finished it in one night, and am looking forward to reading more. Thanks, Tracey, for following the call.
Megan
Apr 14, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
This was a nice, mindless, easy read. A sweet pioneer love story where the guy gets the girl and you can read it all in one day. Fun series. Kind of like, "Kelly's Chance" that I just finished last night.
Jun 20, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: bateman-tracey-v
Ratforce
Tracey Bateman also writes novels similar to those of Tamera Alexander. You might like the first book in her Westward Hearts Series called Defiant Heart.
Kristi
Feb 23, 2016 Kristi rated it really liked it
I can't recall if I've read a book by this author until now. I enjoyed this book and can see reading more of the series.
Craig
Feb 26, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it
Good clean fun.

The only problem is because it is the first in a series. And the ending was a little bit abrupt.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Jun 28, 2010 Tressa (Wishful Endings) rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is a Pioneer story about a girl, her friend, and her siblings who join a wagon train.
Katherine
This is the first in a series, and I enjoyed it. A quick read, not heavy, it was nice.
puppitypup
Feb 18, 2015 puppitypup rated it liked it
Shelves: clean-romance
Clean Romance Read earlier this year. Fun read, not memorable.
Karen
Aug 31, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
The first book in the Westward Hearts series. An enjoyable read.
Tara
Apr 24, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
Great light read. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Marcella
Apr 20, 2012 Marcella rated it it was amazing
The message of this book is one that touches the heart
Diamond Jones
I really enjoyed this book. can't wait to read part two!
Blake 1 0 Dec 16, 2007 05:26PM
Fannie's bravery 1 0 Dec 16, 2007 05:25PM
Fannie and Toni 1 1 Dec 16, 2007 05:24PM
Forgiveness 1 0 Dec 16, 2007 05:23PM
Rescue from Tom? 1 0 Dec 16, 2007 05:22PM
Fannie's childhood 1 1 Dec 16, 2007 05:21PM
Tarnished past... 1 0 Dec 16, 2007 05:20PM
  • Wedding Bell Blues (Piper Cove Chronicles #1)
  • Leather and Lace (Texas Legacy #1)
  • Too Good To Be True
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Too Rich for a Bride (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #2)
  • The Christkindl's Gift (Culdee Creek Christmas #1)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Loving Libby
  • With Endless Sight (Crossroads of Grace #3)
  • Rocky Mountain Match (Rocky Mountain, #1)
  • Prairie Courtship
  • The Bride Blunder (Prairie Promises, #3)
  • Twice Loved (Belles of Timber Creek #1)
  • Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1)
  • Sister's Choice (Patchwork Circle, #2)
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • Love Comes Calling
Tracey Bateman is also published as Tracey Cross, is the Christy award-winning author of more than thirty titles and has nearly a million books in print. She lives in Missouri's Ozarks with her husband and four children.
More about Tracey Bateman...

Westward Hearts (3 books)
  • Distant Heart (Westward Hearts #2)
  • Dangerous Heart (Westward Hearts #3)