Start by marking “Rage” as Want to Read:
Rage

Wilbur Smith

Rage (Courtney #6)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,021 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
In the second half of the twentieth century, the future bears down on Africa—fueled by the sins of the past and the blood feuds of nations, tribes, and families. For the Courtney family, who have known this continent from the depths of its gold mines to the pinnacle of political power, a time of reckoning is at hand.

Shasa Courtney has lived, fought and loved amongst Afrik
Hardcover
Published by Little Brown and Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rage, please sign up.

Hotcheri Yes, it can. It's an amazing read, and although it touches on some characters in previous books (which I haven't read, by the way), it's so detailed…moreYes, it can. It's an amazing read, and although it touches on some characters in previous books (which I haven't read, by the way), it's so detailed and thorough that it can be read as a stand alone.(less)

Checkman
Wilbur Smith has been turning out novels since the 1960's. He has lived in most of the southern nations of Africa and experienced many of the turbulent times that he has written about. Though he sometimes uses cliches ranging from broad shouldered heroes to sophisticated, intelligent, and evil villains his novels deliver one to Africa.

Rage begins in the late 40's and concludes in the sixties with the struggle against apartheid in South Africa reaching violent levels. The other books in this gen
Matt
Jan 26, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
In the best of the Courtney series novels to date, Smith weaves more tales of South Africa, using his explosive cast of characters. With the Second Word War in the recent past, South Africa moves into a new era, both of politics and racial clashes. Half-brothers Shasa Courtney and Manfred De La Rey both hold seats in Parliament, but sit on opposing sides. The National Party has succeeded at the polls and holds a firm grip on power, seeking to legislate their permanent rule of the country, in whi ...more
John Wattie
Dec 08, 2014 John Wattie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both sides of Apartheid presented. Well developed characters. Plenty of interesting information and action to make this a long book, which is just what I wanted - a good meaty read.
Roenel
Feb 18, 2015 Roenel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a great fan of Wilbur Smith, his stories are epic and you can't help but be swept away... I liked Rage, its interesting to reflect on our situation today and the time in which this novel was written. I'd love to see an follow up book from the author set against the backdrop of the current situation in South Africa.

One thing about the book bothered me and that is the affair between Isabella Courtney and Lothar de la Rey - aren't they related? Of course they did not know, but both Centaine C
Mike
I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5. This is a classic Wilbur Smith book and I enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed it more than the 3 stars would indicate. The story always moves at a fast pace, the plot lines are always interesting and not always what you think, and he does a great job of making the reader feel like they are a part of South Africa and the culture. The part of this book that I had a really hard time with is Smith's portrayal of women. All of his books have sex scenes, but in this ...more
Henri
May 13, 2013 Henri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enjoyable read but the ending was really sort of rushed in my opinion. The book tells a few different stories, all linked to one another in some way, and all the stories links through the struggle during apartheid in South Africa.

We follow the Courtney's, who the book is all about, through their business ventures and the political adventure.

We follow the De La Rey's and Manfreds political rise.

We follow the black struggle and their leader Moses Gama. A few of the big names in A
Mick
Oct 17, 2012 Mick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. There are so many stories going at once it can get a bit difficult to keep track of things, but it all ties together in the end.
Rita Chapman
Jun 03, 2016 Rita Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you rate an author like Wilbur Smith? I loved The Seventh Scroll, quite liked River God and enjoyed Rage. Do you rate according to how much you enjoy the book or how well it is written? Wilbur Smith is an amazing writer and would always earn five stars on that basis. However, I think most people rate according to enjoyment so I have given Rage four stars.

This is a long book, with many different characters, set in South Africa during the apartheid/Mandela years. It took me a long while to
Mark Edlund
Historical fiction
Smith continues his chronicle of the Courtney family. It has now reached the time of Mandela and the rise of the ANC. Wait, all our dark servants are not thrilled to be working for us and not being able to vote and own land? How can this be happening to their white privilege? I did not like the Communist focus on the black radicals and that the only reason they would revolt would be against the ruling class? What about everything else? Too bad all these pesky Zulus etc got in t
Tracey Kefford
Mar 08, 2016 Tracey Kefford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure story. I love the way he mixes fact with fiction. Growing up in this part of the world the political leaders he weaves his stories around are very real to me and as a result make the stories all the more enjoyable. I read this book about 20 years ago and didn't realise it was part of a chronicle. Although his books do stand on their own as a story, I have really enjoyed following the characters through the years and on to the next generations.
Marianne
Feb 27, 2015 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smith writes with such grandeur. He captures the immensity of the continent, and the complexity of its problems.
It's history, it's vast riches and the people who exploit them and profit from them.
He follows the saga of the Courtney family in this book and the policy of Apartheid. Movements to overthrow this distasteful govt. "law" are squelched by the Afrikaners who rule with a ruthless hand.
Intense, is the only way to describe it overall.
Bar none, Smith is one of the best authors I have ever re
Linda
Apr 22, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great. The continuing Saga of the Courtneys and history of South Africa. This one follows in chronology The Power of the Sword. Faster paced it tells the story of social and political upheaval during the Fifties and early Sixties and mirrors the racial and political conflicts occurring in the US at that same time. On one side are the millions of blacks and the young lions that emerge as leaders, including Nelson Mandela and more radical types intent on destruction of the system through terrorism ...more
Joe Holman
Sep 28, 2014 Joe Holman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book fully develops the many characters so they leap out in your mind and you can picture them clearly. It also brings both sides of apartheid into sharp focus. There are many twists and sub-plots in the book and even more steamy romances and trysts. I little bit of something for most adult readers but not a book for young readers.
Andrea Buschman
It's a sweeping epic kind of story and at times you forget that it's almost 900 pages because you're so involved. On the other hand, the characters were not very likeable and it was difficult to care about them when they would do such mean things to each other.
Ryan Heal
Great writing but as the title is so well placed the feeling of this book. Too many threads severed and rewoven. Perhaps it's a blight upon myself that I could not sit through the turmoil. Never the less I commend those who have finished it.
Erika
Jan 21, 2008 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! There were some sexual encounters that were a little explicit, but they defined the character in this way, so if you are sensitive to this you will want to glance over it. This isn't a romance novel! The title is perfect for this book.

The book is set during a time of turmoil in South Africa, when apartheid is taking it's toll on those that are being controlled and that are trying to take control. It shows the many faces of those affected by this policy, and the rage burns
Lisa
Nov 03, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another fantastic book from Wilbur Smith. Really enjoying this series. it's well paced, thought provoking, interesting, dramatic and it keeps you wanting to read page after page and not get up and go to work! :)-
Lunga Mgqatsa
Jun 03, 2015 Lunga Mgqatsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was wonderful I actually mourned after completing the book, I guess I got real close to the characters.
Sean
Jul 09, 2014 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very nice job brought me back into those times and made me live a bit of our past south african struggles.
Natalie
Phenomenal book....really felt like I was living the story
Donna Collier
I still enjoy these books, but they are not as compelling as they started. The characters have always been flawed, but they are no longer even likeable. And the books are still SO long! Just like the Outlander series, I will probably start reading these very infrequently.
Thomas West
"R" has read this
Dark-Draco
Sep 12, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I did enjoy reading this, but not us much as soom of the earlier books in the series. I think it was because it was set so firmly amongst real events and real people, so always in the back of your mind you had to remind yourself that this is a fictional account of what really happened. I prefer to loose myself completly in the story. Still, it was a good adventure and Shasa finally finding out about his brother was a good end to it. I have the next one in the series ready to go and will get roun ...more
Helen
Aug 27, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb. Wilbur Smith at the zenith of his writing. This is 900 odd pages of non stop action at a time in South Africa's history that was probably its most turbulent. All the characters are believable and interesting and the story line was really good. On a book this size, sometimes the hardest part is how well the authors manages to round things out. All of the early books of Wilbur Smith on Africa have been a five star read for me.
Naomi
Jul 17, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Courtney family continues to prosper in South Africa even though the times become very perilous. Apartheid is in full bloom and the people react to the injustices of the government. Shasa Courtney's family pays a heavy price for their views and Manfred De La Rey comes to the fore of the government. Secrets in the Courtney family start to emerge and Centaine Courtney is heavily involved. Another thrilling story by Wilbur Smith
Thomas Strömquist
The concluding part in the massive second trilogy in the story about the Courtneys of Africa. This takes place in the second half of the 1900's. Very dramatic and absorbing, I do think the storytelling is a bit simplistic. Would not read it today (but was very happy to in my teens) but i wouldn't despair if I got stuck someplace with these as my only company either.
Charmaine
Mar 16, 2011 Charmaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Is all I can say about this book. I had to stop at some historical parts and read it to my husband. Long, but a very well-written book that held true to the circumstances of Apartheid. It was great to read about real-life historical figures like Mandela, et al, and their involvement in fighting for justice, equality, fairness and humanity. Amazing book!
Brian
Jan 05, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These take the Courtney family into Africa. I was interesting historical fiction and brought out the "safari" in me. The Africa series was a fun transition from the high sea's. Basically, the Courtney family is bad ass and they all have the genetic disposition to be a true hero except for the occasional evil half brother who is still usually bad ass.
Sean
Jan 02, 2013 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seanyboy
Hello peeps just recently strarted reading wilbur smith and this book was wonderful it had me sitting there thinking why what how who and when I have to say that Tara was extremly stupid to believe moses an her would live happily ever after.It was a great read and I really whould like to thank Wilbur smith and advise anyone else to read it as well.
Mike
Jul 25, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Wilbur Smith story. It's a great read, but a lot of the same stuff ... much of it just a story. The history of apartheid is told well (in my opinion) and that makes this book worth reading.
  • Whitethorn
  • Tapestry of Spies
  • The Sheltering Desert
  • Maralinga
  • Fire and Sword (Revolution, #3)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • An Act of Terror
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Dark Spectre
  • Night Of Error
  • The Poacher's Daughter
  • The Story of an African Farm
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...

Courtney (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1)
  • Sound of Thunder (Courtney #2)
  • A Sparrow Falls (Courtney #3)
  • The Burning Shore (Courtney #4)
  • Power of the Sword (Courtney #5)
  • A Time to Die
  • Golden Fox
  • Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)
  • Monsoon (Courtney #10)
  • Blue Horizon  (Courtney #11)

“It's a strange paradox that a man gifted with too many talents can fritter them all away without developing a single one to its full.” 40 likes
“History is a river that never ends. Today is history, and I am here at the fountainhead.” 9 likes