Start by marking “On The Slam: A Bridge Club Mystery” as Want to Read:
On The Slam: A Bridge Club Mystery

On The Slam: A Bridge Club Mystery (Bridge Club Mystery #1)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Meet Emma Diamond: novice bridge player, recent widow, and the kind of person who never leaves her grocery cart sitting willy nilly in the parking lot. And now, after a vile woman in her new neighborhood in Houston is poisoned during a bridge game, Emma has a new identity: amateur detective.
Published May 1st 2007 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about On The Slam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On The Slam

Gospodyina
Apr 08, 2015 Gospodyina rated it it was ok
Rescued this from a recycling bin to show my husband as a joke, and ended up reading it more or less accidentally. He was all mad about some of the bridge in it (specifically counting points for a void--seriously, he thought that hard about it) and...

Me: This book is not for you, or anyone you know.
Him: Who is it for?
Me: Beginners, maybe? Or...look, if you just moved into a retirement community and one of the other widows gave it to you as a housewarming present, and invited you to bridge as a w
Fanficfan44
Mar 05, 2014 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it
I have read the two other series written by Dean James/Miranda James/Honor Hartman and enjoyed every book. I have recommended them to my few cozy reading friends, they were so good. I finally got to this series under the name of Honor Hartman, A Bridge Club Mystery series.

On the Slam is another delightful cozy mystery. I used to play Bridge years ago, along with several other card games, but I don’t know anyone who plays anymore. Reading this quick, fun cozy brought it all back for me. I actuall
Lynn Demsky
May 03, 2015 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was an enjoyable read --- the characters were fun, true to human nature, a few eccentric – making for a typical “coffee clutch” neighborhood. They almost all enjoy playing bridge and do it often --- when one player (not the most liked in the neighborhood) gets killed at her own Bridge Game set by someone poisoning her with peanuts --- the novel is very well written (and was glad when the author stopped explaining Bridge in detail, as I don’t play bridge) – the story most believable and with ...more
BookNerdette
Apr 13, 2014 BookNerdette rated it it was amazing
Ellen
Jul 17, 2014 Ellen rated it it was amazing

I finished On The Slam by Honor Hartman aka Dean James. As you might have guessed I really enjoy this authors writings regardless of the nom de plum he uses for any particular series.

This is the 2nd book in this series that I've read and from what I understand there are only two. Too bad I wasn't Honor Hartman's publisher! We would have had many more in this Bridge Club Mystery series.

It seems that as soon as I get into page one...I'm right at home with Emma and Sophie. We are just settling dow
Susan
Feb 19, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
I loved them both. I used to play bridge and this wanted me to do it again. Murder and cards! What a lot of fun! I was worried I might not like it but no worry! The characters were people I would love to be friends with and the story moved along at a good pace. Unusual and enjoyable I would suggest it to anyone! I've read both and can't wait for there to be another in this series!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Aug 10, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
This was a good murder mystery with the running theme of a bridge club throughout. Emma Diamond, a new widow, moves to live closer to her childhood and lifelong friend. It is a lovely neighborhood and she is happy learning there is a Bridge club group. Until she meets Janet McGreevey, the one that no one seems to like but tolerates due to her position with the Home Owners Association.

Emma is there less than a week, when she is invited to her first bridge game. It is a little tense as Emma is ve
Allison
Aug 17, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it
Although I know next to nothing about bridge I enjoyed this story. I have already read the 2nd book in this series so was slightly familiar with the characters and enjoyed reading about how the ladies all met. Kind of makes me wish I had neighbors who are also friends that could "pop in" and out of my kitchen for coffee and card games. A satisfying mystery with a story that actually kept me guessing til the end.
Dana Gill-Brown
Once again Honor Hartman aka Jimmie Ruth Evans, Dean James,& Miranda James wins me over with a cozy set in the south. This one takes place in Houston and stars Emma a newly widowed lady who has moved to Houston to live next door to her best friend. Within days of being there she meets the head of the HOA and then the head is killed leading Emma and her BFF to try and track down the killer that resides within them.
Dianna
Jul 05, 2010 Dianna rated it liked it
I enjoyed this one; it's set in Houston and involves bridge, which I enjoy. The mystery part was OK.
Julie
Aug 20, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This mystery will keep you guessing and reading.
Pam
Mar 03, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
A nice debut!
Andy Smith
Andy Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Vicki Gooding
Vicki Gooding marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Nancy Haddock
Nancy Haddock rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Bthrifty
Bthrifty rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Sheryl Stump
Sheryl Stump rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2015
Becky Carver
Becky Carver marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Chel
Chel rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2015
Lisa Oswald
Lisa Oswald rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Honor Hartman is the pseudonym for a mystery author who has lived in Houston, Texas for over twenty-five years, has two cats and thousands of books, and plays bridge as often as possible.

Series:
* Bridge Club Mystery

Also writes as Dean James, Jimmie Ruth Evans, and Miranda James
More about Honor Hartman...

Bridge Club Mystery (2 books)
  • The Unkindest Cut (A Bridge Club Mystery, #2)