Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant

Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Mission Street Food is a restaurant. But it’s also a charitable organization, a taco truck, a burger stand, and a clubhouse for inventive cooks tucked inside an unassuming Chinese take-out place. In all its various incarnations, it upends traditional restaurant conventions, in search of moral and culinary satisfaction.

Like Mission Street Food itself, this book is more than...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by McSweeney's (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mission Street Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission Street Food

Rebecca
“Cookbook” doesn’t begin to touch this amazingly honest, engaging, inspiring, and creative narrative about two people, their friends, their perseverance, their sheer luck, and the joy to be had in both dreams and realities.

From flatbreads on a food truck to a full-fledged restaurant, Mission Street Food is a tale told in the words of its two heroes, chef Anthony Myint and his wife, Karen Leibowitz. It is the story of a “start-up” like no other, set on the streets (mainly one street) of San Fra...more
Alison
What a fabulous read! Written in a casual and friendly manner, filled with excellent tips and gorgeous photos, this book is a fantastic buddy with whom to curl up on a sunny afternoon. Anthony Myint and his approach to food and life is inspiring - I only wish I could have experienced some of his previous ventures! I look forward to trying the remaining restaurants that he inspired/started and will definitely keep an ear to the ground regarding upcoming projects.

As a novice foodie, the recipes s...more
Dan Ryan
This is more than a cookbook. It's more of a hipster foodie Bible. Roughly half of the book is a history of a food truck/pop-up restaurant/restaurant that has closed, and the other half is recipes, and the other 10% is essays at the end that really make the preceding portions sing because they place the whole production in a higher philosophical mode. (Yes, I'm aware that my math doesn't add up, but the book would by typical and whole without the essays.)
Linda
This is the book to read if you've ever thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to open a restaurant?" If after reading this you still think so, you'll be going at things a little more realistically than the authors.

The explosive San Francisco food scene gets an extra kick from the adventures of the husband and wife foodies who also attempt to fix food that's nowhere near the norm.

I love to read cookbooks like novels and this definitely qualifies that way. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to see let alone t...more
Vuk Trifkovic
Some bits feel forced and gratuitous ( esp. the cartoon of a silly story Leibowitz described in too much detail just a page earlier), but overall it's one of the most insightful books on cooking, running a food business and San Francisco in the first two decades of 21st century.

As per recipes, there are not many but some real gems in there, worth reading for Anthony's refreshing no bullshit approach. You won't find any of the annoying 'oh, it's so easy, just skip this step' crap that hip and not...more
Jenn Mar
Got the first-printing, first-edition with autographs. Wonderful idea for cookbook, as it's also part business manual, memoir, critical theory, cookbook. Fun photography and graphic layout. All the recipes make me drool, but maybe impractical for those who don't work from restaurant kitchens? Recipes will serve something like 16--how to make burgers for sixteen people with your own meat grinder. Still, I love staring at this and dreaming about making their signature PBJ. Next big paycheck I will...more
Alee
The first portion of the book is basically an autobiography. It's a great description of the creation of the food concepts. The second portion describes the author's philosophy on the preparation of food with some recipes interspersed. This section is incredibly useful with basic knowledge and tips. The last portion is an odd piece about how to get yourself going in the food industry. Overall, the book is a great read. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes....
Dean
I normally don't review cookbooks but this is one of those hybrid tomes that contain more narrative and anecdote than recipes (I estimate the ratio at 75/25). As far as recipes go, the ones here are nearly perfect in formatting and execution with plenty of color photos detailing every step in the process and clear and witty instruction that provides plenty of entertainment value even if you don't plan on actually making the product.
Eoin
Stunning. A love story about ninja-MacGyver food hackers told as conversation/essay/comic book/cook book. With pictures. Or, the biography of a beautiful idea about food from it's originators. Or, yet another piece of irrefutable proof my beloved SF reigns supreme. Or, what I'm going to be cooking asap. Worth it for any recipe or the comic book. This book alone has made my McSweeny's Book Release Club membership worth it.
Justin
Invigorating, tongue-in-cheek, dare I say "meta" cookbook from a collective of gastronomical upstarts tearing it up on the San Francisco food scene in the waning days of the first millennial decade...or, as the book eloquently cites, "High-falootin' line cook from Bar Tartine goes all nitty gritty and shit." That'll do. :)
Kathleen
Lot of folks would enjoy this - Foodies, Entrepreneurs, the Bohemia....

Way to go Anthony Myint for following a dream, making it happen - and the dream being one that is so philanthropic. We need to hear of people like you more often.

An autobiography of a Food Dream, plus cookbook & philosophy notes.
Andy Chu
Found this in the library randomly. I was impressed by their work ethic. The thing that stood out was an analogy to "planning a wedding every 2 weeks." And the cookbook in the 2nd half is pretty opinionated and seems like it contains hard-won knowledge.
Ryan
A pretty interesting book but more-so because we were there for the genesis of this. This book doesn't spare any punches. If you cook like this on a regular basis, you'd probably die. Reveals why restaurant food tastes so good.
Eling
Jan 09, 2013 Eling rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
loved the story, such a great one. fun photos, just not totally into the overall format of this book. recipes sound delicious but definitely not for the average home cook.
Sean Roswell
The best 'cookbook' you will read all year, these guys make me want to cook for a living again....and that is saying a lot.
Sarah B.
Great book! Fantastic pictures, great insight into the world of restaurant pop-ups, and delicious recipes. MMM.
Carla
Not so much a cookbook more of a story of guerrilla cooking and setting up shop in a unique way
Eric Meyers
Great story, layout keeps it fun and interesting. Can't wait to try some of the recipes!
Marjie
The book sounded interesting but I must be too old and unhip to appreciate it.
Liz
A gorgeous book, fun read, and lots of great recipes and excellent photos.
Julie
Love everything about this book - design, layout, text, paper stock!!
Brian
Interesting story written in a very conversational style.
elizabeth
Fun for foodies or food truck fans or Mcsweeneys groupies.
Michael
Excellent history of an excellent restaurant.
Maggie
Sep 20, 2011 Maggie added it
Shelves: cookbooks
Deeply whimsical and altogether improbable.
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • Alinea
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Momofuku Milk Bar