Start by marking “Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)” as Want to Read:
Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)

Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant / Rivers of London #3)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  22,653 Ratings  ·  1,620 Reviews
In Tufnell Park, North London, a pair of railway tracks diver under a school, taking train to and from Kings Cross. Wet, filthy, dangerous. Lovely place. And one Sunday before Christmas a sweet (sort of) kid called Abigail took me and my long suffering colleague Lesley May down there to look for a ghost.

We found one.

And that was that, I thought, because come Monday I get t
Published June 21st 2012 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2012)

Nataliya
"Was it better to die in happy ignorance or terrified knowledge? The answer, if you’re a Londoner, is that it’s better not to die at all."
This series does what most urban fantasies avoid - it seamlessly integrates the 'urban' and the 'fantastical' parts, creating a lovely well-crafted enjoyable reading experience that remains grounded in reality, with just the right touch of whimsy to keep it moving along, *nothing to see here*. (Don't you just loooove my pathetic attempts at police humor? Wai
Carol.
Jul 16, 2012 Carol. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves detective fantasy

Well, I was going to work on my paper today. But then this arrived in the mail, hardcover & signed, direct from London. How could I resist? Within pages I was chuckling aloud, but also relishing the developing feeling of danger.

I can tell you now what will happen. Someday, I'm going to plan a trip to London, and like a complete book nerd, I will attempt to trace down the steps Peter Grant takes in solving these cases. Yes, the books are that good, and the only things hindering my complete un
Carol.
My review of the story

Thoughts for the audio version narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith:

Brilliant. There's nothing more I can say. I wanted to sit and binge-listen, but was afraid my muscles would atrophy during the hours it would take to listen at normal speed. In the third book, Leslie's voice is more intelligible, presumably the result of her surgeries. Voicing of Zach the half-fae had me laughing. Thanks to Dr. Walid, I'm pretty sure I could do a Scottish brogue if I tried. The voicing of the
Philip
Dec 05, 2016 Philip rated it really liked it
4ish stars.

Another solid entry in a very enjoyable UF series.

It's always a pleasure to spend some time with Peter Grant and company. Some things I particularly like about this book:
- Leslie is back! And I love that her... condition... really isn't a huge deal. It wasn't used to turn her into a tragic victim, but it also wasn't glossed over and essentially "fixed" overnight. Cool to see her growing as a practitioner as well.

- There are always several great new characters with each installment, t
Lois Bujold
Dec 30, 2012 Lois Bujold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The advantage of being a semiretired adult is that there is nobody around who can force one to stop reading and go to sleep. The disadvantage of same is the four hours of daylight left that one confronts when crawling out of bed the next afternoon...

This series, surer now perhaps of its survival to the end of the broadcast season, seems to be settling in for a good run. More lavish invention with Peter, Lesley, Thomas, the Folly, and of course London. I am happy with this; not for me the readerl
Phrynne
Mar 12, 2016 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series and either they keep getting better or the characters are growing on me the more I read. Or maybe both. Certainly this book was very funny, laugh aloud funny actually usually due to the main character's dry comments about anything and everything. I always love a book set in London especially when it includes lots of facts (and fictions too) about old London. Well this story includes some bits about a very old London indeed so I was well satisfied. I have been ...more
Catie
Oh, these books are just so much fun. I doubt I will ever stop reading them. The mysteries confuse me (and are mostly forgettable), I still don’t really understand how the magic works (and neither does the main character), and I really have no idea where this is all going. But I enjoy every minute of these books and most of all, this character.

What a witty, likable, self-deprecating, fully-realized character Ben Aaronovitch has created here. I could spend hours just reading his random asides abo
Mike (the Paladin)
As I sit here considering this book there's a part of me that wonders why I'm not more taken, more enthusiastic about this series. I can recommend it. It's a good series filled with good writing. I like the understated humor. I like the interaction with the world Aaronovitch has created and it denizens.

Somehow with all that I'm always, at best mildly enthusiastic about them. I read the first back when it came out in one of those reader copies with "NOT TO BE SOLD" written all over it. I liked i
Orient
Aug 15, 2016 Orient rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans
Imagine: You’re in the underground tunnel. You hear whispers. There is somebody lurking in the shadows...

The creature gets nearer and nearer and at last you hear….

Hello. It’s me :) just me...

That’s the way I feel about this book. The places were so proper and so awesome almost all the way through the book, but I lacked something gripping, suspenseful or more spooky. I longed for more magic.

We have a spooky underground

even with

and strange and some kind of dangerous people, silently lurking in t
Brendon Schrodinger
Ben sure isn't a one trick pony. The third volume of his Peter Grant series is a high point and while not as astounding as the first volume, it's way better than the second and much more fun than any of the others.

This time around Peter Grant, PC Magician's Apprentice, faces a mystery of a dead art student in the Tube. Sounds mundane and not Peter Grant at all, but the murder weapon is a shard of magically imbued pottery. So what we get is a wonderful and claustrophobic chase into the literal un
Regina
Damn, I love this series. And damn I love these characters – -Peter, Lesley, Molly, Nightengale and even the little dog Toby. Rarely does an urban fantasy book feel new.

There is something so easy going but yet scary about the world Mr. Aaronovitch has created. It is layers of normal society on top of layers of an unknown magical community. These communities co-exist and sometimes collide. This story begins right off from where Moon Over Soho left off. Lesley and Peter (Why do I want to type Rob
Daniel
Nov 18, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jos jedna odlicna knjiga (bas se pocinjem ponavljati :P) ali ovog puta sa vecim fokusom na misterijom mada magija jos uvek ima svoje mesto ovde. Interakcija medju likovima je prvoklasna, puno humora i podbadanja ali i ozbiljno kada mora biti. Sama prica je isto tako, bavi se ozbiljnim temama ali sa mahumora koji celu stvar cini dosta zabavnijom i prijemcivijom.

Tempo je odlican, atmosfera odlicno prenesena sto sve dovodi do toga da te prosto uvuce u sam svet i naravno vuce te da zavrsis knjigu br
Algernon
Jul 24, 2012 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Peter Grant is back: junior policeman on the Metropolitan Force, apprentice wizard and sarcastic jokester. Welcomew to the magical murder mystery tour of London, starting in Hugh Grant's and Julia Robert's favorite neighborhood of Notting Hill but going mostly to the sunken tunnels of a labyrinthine subway system going back to the nineteen century. If in the previous novel, we had a glimpse of Soho nightlife and at the Jazz scene, in this episode we will focus on modern art, small street boutiqu ...more
Eilonwy

Another irresistibly fast-paced and gripping installment in this series. It was so good to have Lesley back!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Posted at The BiblioSanctum

Wow, never have I snapped up and read all the currently available books in a series so quickly. With my enthusiasm waning for Harry Dresden in light of the new direction the Dresden Files series has taken in the last few books, someone else has recently dethroned him as my favorite leading man in urban fantasy fiction. Peter Grant is my master now!

I'm really enjoying this series. I probably didn't like this book as much as the two preceding it, but then again, Rivers o
Penny
Mar 25, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Peter Grant was a real guy I would go to London and stalk him for a week just because he's so awesome! :)

No seriously, this is the best in the series so far, and I really enjoyed the first two. I'm not a huge fan of London for lots of reasons but I swear this series is changing my mind. The way Aaronovitch talks about the history of the city and how it developed and he slides in that British humour and I find myself wishing I was in London to go visit the places he's talking about!

Not only i
Mimi
Aug 13, 2013 Mimi rated it it was amazing
4 out of 5 stars

It doesn’t normally take me this long to get through urban fantasy. The book just got away from me, that's all. Literally. I lost it, along with the rest of the series, to relatives visiting over Christmas break and didn’t get around to getting another copy until last week. So I'm just making sure to say the dates read have no bearings on how much I liked it.

Another great installment by Ben Aaronovitch and the series definitely improves with each book. All the praises I had for t
Leonie
Aug 29, 2016 Leonie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again this series has not disappointed, in fact, I'm enjoying it more with every book.

In this story, we're introduced to more of the magical world lurking amongst the streets, sewers, rivers and train stations of London, as a murder becomes the focus of the story.

For me, this book was even stronger than the first two, with the older characters now fleshed out more fully, and the newer ones detailed and intriguing. Ben Aaronovitch has cleverly established societies with societies, all living
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Book three...more of what I liked in the first two. Still going in creative directions so there is new territory. Still has the same old friends from the first two books. Dry and funny humor, such as "As Conan said, that which does not kill us, does not kill us."

If you like dresden, this is in the same neighborhood as his. Enjoyable read. Cozy as opposed to intense in your face suspence.
Wanda
If you haven’t yet met Peter Grant, main character of this series, may I suggest that you find the first book (Rivers of London/Midnight Riot) and make his acquaintance.

This is urban fantasy, but not like the UF that I usually read. Somehow, the magical elements of Aaronovitch’s fiction just melt into the story and don’t stick out like sore thumbs. Peter is primarily a copper and only secondarily an apprentice wizard. And despite the warnings of his wizardly mentor, Nightingale, Peter continues
Andrew
Jan 03, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Yet another instalment in the casebook of Peter Grant and I must admit that the books just keep on getting better - the characters are more comfortable and the inter-play between them is more fluid and humorous while still keeping the storying line moving and things interesting - I guess this is a mark of how Ben Aaronovitch is becoming more and more comfortable with them too.

One of the things that I do enjoy is that there is a story arc forming here - no I will not give it away but I will say t
Megan Baxter
May 17, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been well established that I am a big fan of the Peter Grant series. Huge. So take that into consideration when I found this particular book in the series not quite as much fun as the first two. Still fun, still worth a read, but somehow, a little lacking.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Michael
This one was a charming diversion. I appreciated the imagination involved in the tale, but was not compelled with sufficient drama nor amused as much as with the first two books. Maybe the novelty of this world is fading for me and I am losing the compelling aspect that came when Peter was a rookie.
Robert
Jun 26, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
You can also find my review of Whispers Underground on my book blog.

Whispers Under Ground is the third book in a series. I'd definitely recommend starting at the beginning for anyone interested in this series - the book largely assumes that the reader is familiar with the characters and at least some of the previous events. There isn't a huge amount of direct plot continuity, but without reading Rivers of London and Moon Over Soho first, you'll probably find this book quite bewildering.

So, Peter
Margaret
Sep 22, 2015 Margaret rated it it was amazing
My thanks to my mate Andy who recommended this book to me. I'd read the first two in the series and then drifted away. Well now I'm back, and loving the Peter Grant series.

Seriously funny, well plotted, quirky, and loaded with interesting information about London (my favourite city).

The books are a series and do need to be read in order. If you haven't read the series and enjoy urban fantasy spiced with humour, then do yourself and favour and do so.

Highly recommended.
Faith
Aug 22, 2016 Faith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, overdrive
This is the second book that I've read in this series and I intend to read them all, something that I do not usually do. While the plots are inventive, it is really the sly and amusing tone of the books that I love the most. This time I listened to the audiobook and I thought that the narrator was absolutely perfect. I also enjoyed the little snippets of jazz between chapters.
The Flooze
It’s early days yet for Peter Grant, as I realise with this book that the series only covers 12 months so far. But, oh, how much the DC has learned in that short span of time.

Peter is a remarkably relatable character. His tone is easy-going, but his inner monologue assures us he’s appropriately horrified at certain things he witnesses. He’s a very aware and accepting sort of person, using logic to prevent his mind from shutting out possibilities. He attributes much of this to his scientific ben
Lata
Feb 13, 2017 Lata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
More later.
Tracey
Jul 16, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Grant.

I could almost make that my entire review.

I have a friend I met when we both worked at Barnes & Noble many years ago. She went off to school and then to New York to seek her fortunes, and she is a) blessed with a great many friends and b) an even worse correspondent than I am, so we don't email or call or any of that very often. Now and then, though, if we're going to be in the same city at the same time, we get together, and it's almost as though the time since the last time we
F.R.
May 12, 2015 F.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Grant and the Hogwarts department of the Metropolitan Police Department are back! Okay. It’s not actually called the Hogwarts department, instead it has the charming name ‘The Folly’ – but there’s no arguing that it’s the quaintly, eccentric X Files of modern day London.

Nightingale and Grant, now joined officially by Lesley, are back, and whenever there’s a crime in London which seems a bit odd or a mite spooky or ever so uncanny, they’re the ones the normal bobbies call. Having spent the
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • The Apocalypse Codex (Laundry Files, #4)
  • Pantheon of the Dead (Hidden Academy , #3)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.
More about Ben Aaronovitch...

Peter Grant / Rivers of London (6 books)
  • Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)

“Holy paranormal activity, Nightingale - to the Jag mobile.” 40 likes
“This is why magic is worse even than quantum physics. Because, while both spit in the eye of common sense, I've never yet had a Higgs bosun turn up and try to have a conversation with me.” 35 likes