Start by marking “A Choice of Emily Dickinson's Verse” as Want to Read:
A Choice of Emily Dickinson's Verse

A Choice of Emily Dickinson's Verse

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  16,617 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
Writing apart from the mainstream of nineteenth-century poetry Emily Dickinson created a language of her own, and her work is both very varied and very consistent in its strength and charm. As Ted Hughes says in his Introduction, 'it is impossible to exhaust the unique art and pleasures of her poetic talent'; for this selection (based entirely on the original texts) he has ...more
Published November 1st 1977 by Faber & Faber (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about A Choice of Emily Dickinson's Verse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Choice of Emily Dickinson's Verse

Paul Bryant
Oct 29, 2012 Paul Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime

Because I could not stop for Cops
They kindly Stopped for Me
The Roadblocks covered all three lanes
Perfect Symmetry

A narrow Fellow - in the grass
With one eyed – snake – and smile
You may have met him – did you not
The local – paedo – phile

I heard a Boy-Band - when I died
The Radio - was on
And rushing so - to switch it Off
And catching - my left Thumb

And dancing round in - Painful Jig
And - tripping on a clod
Such - Banal invitation - to
The Vestibule of God

Hope is a thing with feathers
That perches in
Florencia
Aug 15, 2015 Florencia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.

This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

She described my needs with beauty and accuracy. That is all I need. A book. And coffee. And maybe something to eat. But mostly a book.

Last weekend (weekends; the only time I can read like a maniac and write some things), I put on hold all my currently-reading books and dedicated my
Dolors
Mar 22, 2014 Dolors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those inebriated of air
Recommended to Dolors by: Ted Hughes
“There is the mosaic, pictogram concentration of ideas into which she codes a volcanic elemental imagination, an apocalyptic vision; there is the tranced suspense and deliberation in her punctuation of dashes, and the riddling, oblique artistic strategies, the Shakespearian texture of the language, solid with metaphor, saturated with homeliest imagery and experience; and everywhere there is the teeming carnival of world-life”
Introduction by Ted Hughes in Selected Poems by Emily Dickinson.

I th
Bookworm Sean
I think someone is a little obsessed with death! Poor old Emily, she spent most of her life in solitude so it’s no surprise that she came up with poetry like this:

"Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality."

description

I do like her poetry though; it feels calm and almost accepting of mortality. She establishes the idea that death is not a choice; it just happens like life just happens. So, we should just sit back and enjoy the rid
Matthew
Jun 26, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This volume of Dickinson's poetry is selected with an introduction by the poet Billy Collins. The introduction is standard, with Collins establishing biographical details and historical context. Which is interesting, but common knowledge to anyone who has read anything about Dickinson. What makes the introduction interesting is Collins's perspective on Dickinson's "letters to the world": his admiration for her use of metaphor, her figure of speech that he likens to "a kind of New England surreal ...more
Sheila
Nov 09, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, poetry
My first reading of Emily Dickinson is not actually in this collection selected by Ted Hughes. They were love poems called Wild Nights! Wild Nights! and I cannot live with you. I knew then that this poet is going to be one of my favorites. The imagery she paints is just too unique and original that reading them over and over again can produce different meanings for the reader.

In this collection, Ted Hughes, also a notable poet, not least because he was married to Sylvia Plath, selected 40-plus
Ahmad Sharabiani
Selected poems, Emily Dickinson
عنوان: رویش خاموش گدازه ها: شعرهای امیلی دیکنسون؛ مترجم: محمدرحیم اخوت؛ حمید فرازنده؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، آگاه، 1388، در 178 و 102 ص، شابک: 9789644162947؛ فارسی انگلیسی؛ از شعرهای برگزیده امیلی دیکنسون
Cristina
Oct 21, 2015 Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En palabras de Laura Freixas, Emily Dickinson es una genia con habitación propia. Completamente de acuerdo.

Aquí podéis escuchar la conferencia entera que le dedica Freixas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-4r...

Dos poemas:

But if the Heart omit
Emaciate the Wit —
The Aliment of it
So absolute.

I died for Beauty-but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb
When One who died for Truth, was lain
In an adjoing Room-

He ques
Kadidja May
I love poetry, though I wonder sometimes whether I love the idea of poetry more than the thing itself. Of course that's not entirely true because give me a deep poem and I will always admire you (and maybe fall a little bit in love, too). Still. I don't read it often.

I say this because I don't feel qualified to rate this selection. I read somewhere that for those who read/love/know Dickinson, the lack of her characteristic punctuation and capitalisation is a drawback in this edition. Understanda
Amalie
Jan 22, 2012 Amalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
My first reading of Dickinson's poetry and I LOVED them. This collection includes over 100 of her poetry obviously the best. At first glance the book and poems seemed so simple and easy to read so I picked it up to read in my spare time (if I ever get any) but it ended up stealing the time I wanted to spend on other books. There is a rich suggestiveness in her poems which generates a range of meanings, and they make you stop and think because every poem seems has more than one meaning.

I see the
Amanda
Feb 17, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I loved this. I love short poems and Emily - we're on a first name basis - is queen of the short form. I adored more than half the poems in this 100 poem collection. I'm pretty sure Emily and I would have gotten along, especially ten years ago when I was a goth and writing poetry every day!
Jasi
Ein Gedicht schöner als das andere. Emily Dickinson hat mit ihren Worten nicht nur unzählige Gefühle sondern auch die Schönheit der Natur eingefangen. Sie ist zweifellos eine meiner liebsten Dichterinnen.
Jane Reye
Mar 26, 2015 Jane Reye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Martyr Poets

The Martyr Poets — did not tell —
But wrought their Pang in syllable —
That when their mortal name be numb —
Their mortal fate — encourage Some —

The Martyr Painters — never spoke —
Bequeathing — rather — to their Work
That when their conscious fingers cease —
Some seek in Art — the Art of Peace —
Judy
Feb 20, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good selection of poems, but the big drawback is that Dickinson's unusual punctuation has been smoothed out and most of her characteristic dashes have been removed.
Patrick Gibson
Sep 03, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Don't laugh; she is a wonderful poet.

"Bring me the sunset in a cup,
Reckon the morning’s flagons up
And say how many Dew,
Tell me how far the morning leaps—
Tell me what time the weaver sleeps
Who spun the breadth of blue!

Write me how many notes there be
In the new Robin’s ecstasy
Among astonished boughs—
How many trips the Tortoise makes—
How many cups the Bee partakes,
The Debauchee of Dews!

Also, who laid the Rainbow’s piers,
Also, who leads the docile spheres
By withes of supple blue?
Whose fingers string
Samet
Aug 13, 2016 Samet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever Realm I forfeit, Lord
Continue me in this!

Başka söze gerek var mı, var ama yazmayacağım.
Sanni (sanni in wonderbookland)
There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away,
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry –
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll –
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears a Human soul.

This is the first time i've got the chance to lay my hands on a book written by Emily Dickinson. Honestly, i am not much acquainted with the world of poetry but i had no trouble whatsoever in understanding Emily or her writing style. This little gem is intertwined with twigs composed
Sara Bakker
Aug 12, 2014 Sara Bakker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just to confirm her saying:
“If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry.”
It is all breath taking, It is so deep , taking you worlds, giving you so many feelings to experience , so many words to be decoded into real feelings ...
It is just WOW !
Ally
Sep 12, 2016 Ally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
My first time reading of Dickinson's poetry and I loved it. So much.

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain."
Gita
Aug 23, 2007 Gita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Dickinson always wrote her poems in eccentric way and on her own imaginative originality, use metaphors in her poems with a large of vocabularies to describe love, life, and nature. Some of her poems tried to examine the mysteries of life and death.
Mercedé Khodadadi مرسده خدادادی
Awesome! I usually have difficulty understanding certain English poetry, but this collection was so good to read. I'll read it as many times as I can.
Hoda mohamadi
Mar 26, 2010 Hoda mohamadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am nobody who r u?
r u nobody too?
then there is a pair of us....
Julian Meynell
Every now and again I read something that is critically acclaimed and I am left absolutely cold by it. I know a lot of people love Dickinson and I know that she was a large influence on Plath who's poetry I really enjoy, but this did nothing for me. Dickinson was a hermit, but why she was so reluctant to leave her home there is nary a word of in the whole collection, so the poetry cannot be described as confessional or really self-exploring. For the most part, I didn't feel particularly that she ...more
Erica Zahn
Dec 23, 2015 Erica Zahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
[For the sake of honesty and clarity, I read this when I wasn’t in the best mood or situation and therefore was not paying it the same quality of attention as I usually would, but I was impressed by what I read nonetheless, especially certain poems that stand out in my mind (‘Hope is the Thing with Feathers’; ‘Because I could not Stop for Death’; ‘My Life Closed Twice before its Close’), and the rhythm and modern directness throughout the collection.]

Of course some of the more famous poems and o
Jul 11, 2012 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poesias difíceis de ser interpretadas e é escassa informação existente sobre a sua vida. Tenta-se construir várias imagens possíveis da poeta, influenciadas por mitos que, ora se complementam, ora se contrapõem.

Dickinson não chegou a publicar os seus versos, por não se submeter aos rígidos padrões de discrição e singeleza que se esperava então de uma mulher. Ao arrumar o quarto de Emily depois que ela morreu, a sua irmã Lavinia encontrou uma gaveta cheia de papéis em desordem. Eram cadernos e fo
J.
May 22, 2015 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha una sua solitudine lo spazio,
solitudine il mare,
e solitudine la morte - eppure
tutte queste son folla
in confronto a quel punto più profondo,
segretezza polare,
che è un'anima al cospetto di se stessa:
infinità finita.

(N. 1695, non databile)

La purezza, la leggerezza, l'incanto delle parole evanescenti di Emily Dickinson. Una raccolta che ha come unico scopo il semplice far conoscere, grazie a testi scelti, l'anima più privata della poetessa americana. Niente affinità tematiche, puro ordine cronolo
Summer
Apr 01, 2016 Summer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorites are:

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain; If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain."

and

"I shall know why, when time is over, and I have ceased to wonder why, Christ will explain each separate anguish in the fair schoolroom of the sky. He will tell me what Peter promised, and I, for wonder at his woe, I shall forget the drop of anguish that scalds me now, that scalds me no
Karikokoa
This was by far the strangest book I've ever read. In it was basically hundreds of poems on some of the most diverse subjects I have ever encountered. All of them fall under the standards of what I have read and been taught about Emily Dickinson. Out of the entire collection I think my favourite poem was hope.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Not necessarily because I enjoyed every piece of poetry, but because each poem was special. Be it sad or happy they all meant something.

I would not rec
Charlotte
I've started reading this book because of Torchwood. It was a specific episode in which they mentioned Emily Dickinson's poems. Usually this kind of things makes me read books I'd usually ignore ( same thing happening with The Collector and Criminal Minds ). Even if in the beginning I was reluctant, those poems made me better understand Emily Dickinson and even the episode from Torchwood and why did they choose her poems.

In the end I can say that those poems are really nice. I must add that she
Apr 25, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moon was but a chin of gold
A night or two ago,
And now she turns her perfect face
Upon the world below.

Her forehead is of amplest blond;
Her cheek like beryl stone;
Her eye unto the summer dew
The likest I have known.

Her lips of amber never part;
But what must be the smile
Upon her friend she could bestow
Were such her silver will!

And what a privilege to be
But the remotest star!
For certainly her way might pass
Beside your twinkling door.

Her bonnet is the firmament,
The universe her shoe,
The stars the
Goodreads Librari...: Editions: Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson 4 14 Jun 22, 2015 05:28AM
  • The Road Not Taken and Other Poems
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese
  • Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Complete Poems
  • My Last Duchess and Other Poems
  • Essays and Poems
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...

“There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry –
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll –
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears a Human soul.”
403 likes
“She died--this was the way she died;
And when her breath was done,
Took up her simple wardrobe
And started for the sun.
Her little figure at the gate
The angels must have spied,
Since I could never find her
Upon the mortal side.”