Start by marking “The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook: Heirloom fruits and vegetables, and more than 100 heritage recipes to inspire every generation” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Welcome to Beekman 1802, in Sharon Springs, NY--the historic home of The Fabulous Beekman Boys, Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge. Josh and Brent star in the popular show on Planet Green TV, and they have built a worldwide reputation for their goat's milk soaps and superb, artisanal Blaak cheese.

Together, Josh and Brent have created a gorgeous cookbook that is “heirloom”...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Sterling Epicure

To ask other readers questions about The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook

Mom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveGluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook  by Cheryl DayBarefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina Garten
All-Time Favorite Cookery Books
62nd out of 85 books — 23 voters
Gluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveThe Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook by Silvana FrancoSPOON by Dana HayHow To Cook in a Jiffy Even If You Have Never Boiled an Egg B... by Prasenjeet Kumar
Handy Student Cookbooks
27th out of 27 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
I'm always glad when my library has cookbooks especially that I want to browse but not buy. This one was interesting the read about the Fabulous Beekman Boys and learn how they taking heirloom recipes and using the freshest of ingredients. Most of the recipes my husband would never eat. Many of the dishes I know I would love to try. The book is setup by season and has places to write notes. A truly well laid out cookbook.
Christine
Read in April 2012.
I'd like to first clarify the title. The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook is so named because 'The Beekman' home and farm was established in 1802 and the 'Heirloom' part of the title represents many of the 'heirloom' recipes that the authors have collected and sometimes re-created are based on recipes that have been passed on to them from family and friends over the years and generations. I think it's important to be upfront that the recipes themselves are not necessarily indica...more
EdibleNotesReviews
The Beekman Boys, Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell, from their idyllic farm in upstate New York have created quite a stir with their 'omnimedia' approach to all things sheepy-and-green. Not the least of which has been their splash with The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook (Sterling Epicure, Oct. 2011) with fellow MSLO alum Sandy Gluck.

They've put together a cookbook that at once is a paean to the old-timey 'heritage' recipes (what most of us would call the good simple foods that graced countles...more
Crnbryeggshls
I thought this was a fun read. I can't give it a five star review only because I received my copy through GoodReads Giveaways, and it was the Advance Reading edition. In the Advance reading copy all the photos and graphic elements are in black and white, so without full knowledge of what these will look like in the final edition, I have to leave off one star.

Other than the images the book was very appealing. The recipes are divided by season. I've had cookbooks that were set up like this before...more
Dana West
The recipes are easy, the ingredients accessible, and the "notes" area next to each recipe is a wonderful addition to a cookbook, my notes can now be organized rather than scribbled into the margin. I love that the authors encourage at home cooks to log on to their website and post the variations they have created from these recipes. The idea that heirloom recipes have been adapted over time allow a home cook to branch out and, with confidence, tweak an ingredient or two, without the fear of "ru...more
Kathleen
When they say "heritage recipes," they mean it. This book is full of really old-fashioned, seasonal foods. It reads like the greatest hits of American farm meals: Potato-Leek Gratin, Broccoli-Cheddar Soup, Roasted Lamb with Mint, Potato Salad. This book is full of classic recipes. It's nostalgic, rather than forward-thinking.

For people looking for those kinds of recipes, this book will be great. Since I'm not really into that kind of food, it wasn't for me.

I only really picked it up from the lib...more
Heather
Okay cookbook with a few noteworthy recipes (in my mind, corn chowder salad and roasted cauliflower-apple soup sound fabulous). I did like how they leave room for you to take notes next to the recipes, though.
Judith
The sign of a good cookbook is one that brings you into the kitchen while you are reading it. Tonight I made a roast chicken with rosemary potatoes and sweet potatoes. I grew the red potatoes on my balcony and the apple, onion & other potatoes came from our CSA and local farmers market.

I'm asking Santa for an 11" cast iron skillet. I see roasting more vegetables in my future.

While I was disappointed of the inclusion of panko bread crumbs (this Southern girl prefers cornmeal), lard (OMG!) an...more
Stephanie
This was a Goodread First Reads Win and it reminded me of recipes my mother and grandmother would fix on Sunday or for Family Reunions. I loved the vegetable pictures in the book that remind me on my own little garden in the summer. The first recipe in the book for Deviled Eggs of course is the one thing I must bring to all family gathering.
The Baked Ham, Stawberry Rhubarb Crumble, Corn Fritters and Apple Butter Turnovers and all items I remember as a child growing up, so this book truly is a He...more
Wendy
Recipe books always look sooo good. And usually I just flip through and ooh and aah at the pretty pictures. Then I look at the ingredient list and it usually includes 4 things I would only use in that particular recipe, with the rest going to waste, possibly.

I hate that.

BUT: this book has just a right mix of new things that I would be willing to try out without buying crap I'll never use otherwise. And I love that many of the recipes are like 10 ingredients or less, including seasonings.

Simpl...more
Michelle
I recently won an ARC of this book through first reads, and though unable to try out the recipes myself yet, most seem to be (delicious!) adaptations of many traditional and simple dishes. The book itself is very well organized, with recipes categorized by season and ample room in the margins for notes.

The side notes, stories, and additional information included with the recipes were a nice touch, adding a more personal feel to the cookbook overall and preventing it from becoming merely a well-...more
Justine
I love that this book is divided by season. I also love that it only has 100 recipes in it. I never feel overwhelmed when flipping through it, and I always come away thinking of the many recipes I am looking forward to making. These heirloom recipes are not only simple, but they use real, healthy ingredients; you won't find corn syrup or other modern industrial ingredients. The color pictures are beautiful, and they've even included some recipe cards for you to write your own family's heirloom r...more
Susan
I really wanted to love this book. Heirloom ingredients, classic recipes--this had so much promise! Alas, there were not enough pictures and too many heavy recipes for me. I'm also not a huge fan of the seasonal organization, though I understand the purpose of it. I really prefer having all the salads together rather than having to flip through each season to find what veggies are on offer. Still, some really delicious-sounding recipes and I continue to support the locavore-loving cookbooks!
Lynda
I won this book on Goodreads FirstReads. It is a cookbook and I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I am going too. This is an interesting cookbook as it has little stories about the authors families traditions that I always enjoy reading. It also has a place on each page that you can write your own notes. Nice pictures also. There are hints throughout about different fruits and vegetables that you can grow in your own garden. Nice and I would recommended this to anyone.
Autumn
I won this as a first read! I was expecting something different from this cookbook. Maybe more old fashioned or recipes that really showcased heirloom varieties of fruits and veg. This kind of had that feel, but they all seemed more like fancy restaurant recipes than things you'd make in your own kitchen. It had some interesting recipes, especially if you eat meat-but I didn't really see where the heirloom came into it-it was just a fancy cookbook.
Marya Kowal
Beautiful book for a gift.

Not only does it have some interesting recipes, not all of which have totally outlandish ingredients, but it also has places where you can add your own notes, cards you can add your family recipes, and it's just plain gorgeous.

Not a must-have, but the perfect christmas, mother's day, or birthday gift for the foodie that has everything.
Mellodi Parks
Loved this book. Great recipes that are easy to follow. I also love that there is a space within the pages to make your own recipe additions and really make each recipe with your own added flare to really make each recipe your own. If you're just looking for new recipes to try to add to your meal plans this book is worth checking out.
Rodney Ross
Love these menz, love this book, several very easy recipes, which isn't always the case with upscale cookbooks. Uhm, no, I don't happen to have black sesame seeds in my pantry and no, I apologize, I don't always have a $48 bottle of Balsamic Vinegar at-hand. Heartily recommended for those wanting to cook comfort food with style.
Leah
Not a lot in here that I would actually cook, although I would probably cook more of it if I lived in the country or on a homestead. And if I cooked with Alcohol. This is not a book to add to my cookbook collection, although for someone more adventurous (and with more time) this may be a great book to cook through.
Diana
The photographs in the book are wonderful. Make the food look fantastic.
I have looked the Beekman Boys since they were first on TV.
I don't know that I will try many of the receipes as even some of the ingredients would be hard to find.
Erin
This cookbook is a real heirloom. The photos are breathtaking and the recipes are delicious and very doable for an average cook like myself. There are spaces in the margins for you to make notes and add your own twists to the recipes. Love the Beekmans!
Emyrose8
I like the idea of this cookbook: a place for cooks to write notes and adaptations and also a place to include their own family recipes. However, I didn't find many recipes I wanted to try.
GE
Wonderful collection of recipes that will carry me through the four seasons of my garden.

Another wonderful addition to my Beekman 1802 collection.

Thank you, Brent and Josh!

Peter
I won a copy of this in a Goodreads giveaway. Interesting combination of recipes. Nice back stories, clear instructions.
Julie
Love the Heirloom style of the book. This will be a great keepsake and some yummy looking recipes too!
Heather
Yes, the Beekman boys are fabulous! Gorgeous pictures and delicious recipes.
Greg Simpson
I love this book, wonderful not to complicated recipes that turn out great.
Nancy
Jan 17, 2012 Nancy added it
I didn't read this - I clicked on the wrong thing!
Jeff
Excellent - one that I might need to purchase.
Dayna
Very pretty to look through
  • Home Made Winter
  • My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
  • Bouchon Bakery
  • The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: 2000 Recipes from 20 Years of America's Most Trusted Food Magazine
  • Grow Cook Eat: A Food Lover's Guide to Vegetable Gardening, Including 50 Recipes, Plus Harvesting and Storage Tips
  • Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook
  • The Italian Slow Cooker
The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden Polka Spot #4 The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden