Start by marking “Essential Dickinson” as Want to Read:
Essential Dickinson

Essential Dickinson

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the introduction by Joyce Carol Oates:

Between them, our great visionary poets of the American nineteenth century, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman, have come to represent the extreme, idiosyncratic poles of the American psyche....

Dickinson never shied away from the great subjects of human suffering, loss, death, even madness, but her perspective was intensely private;
Published March 14th 2006 by Ecco (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Dickinson

Leslie
I had always thought of Emily Dickinson as a bit too precious for my tastes. But when a friend of mine recited from "It was not Death for I Stood up/ And all the Dead -- Lie down," I decided it was time I investigated the poet's more melancholy side.

All my original preconceptions of Miss Dickinson were completely idiotic and I owe her a thousand apologies.

I've never liked huge volumes of poetry, and this one is satisfyingly small and intimate. It offers a wonderful selection of her work, and I v
Randy
Since I'm not fully familiar with the entirety of Dickinson's work, I can't comment as to how 'essential' the selected poems in this volume are. Though, superficially, it seems to be a pretty good cross-section.

To this point I hadn't read a ton of Dickinson, knowing her only obliquely through a few scant lines reviewed in some college survey courses. I remembered her mostly as a dark and prickly writer who wrote jagged, slanted verse. I find that initial impression holds largely true. It takes a
Sachin
No other poet, in such a remarkable beauty of the lyrical verse, has provided a glimpse into the vision of death and eternity than Dickinson.
"The Famous recluse dressed in white", as she is often addressed, shows her eternal Love for The Master. She firmly believes in the live after death as is also expressed by the title of one of her poems, "The world is not conclusion - a sequel stands beyond".

Evocation of the death scene and portraying death vividly is her major characteristic, besides, she
Dennis McKeon
How do you not like Emily Dickinson?

Poetry comforts me. It's one of life's little pleasures.

This volume is a gem.

Amethyst
I read this as I was teaching Dickinson for The Big Read here in Tucson. I very much appreciated Oates' selection of poems (including many I had never seen before) and her introduction to Dickinson.
Kim Kralowec
This is a good pocket-sized selection of Dickinson's poems. Good for someone who is just being introduced to the poet, or who wants a smaller volume to carry around.
Paige
My review is simple. I love the Shakespearean flow of her poetry.
Gail Hill
Poems of Emily Dickinson's life.
Stevenj
Read by Julie Harris
Lucy P
Lucy P added it
Nov 21, 2014
Hannah
Hannah is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2014
Nate
Nate is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2014
valkyrie
valkyrie is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2014
Cheska
Cheska is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2014
Ryan Heaven
Ryan Heaven marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • The To Sound
  • Stars of the Night Commute
  • The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories
  • Make Yourself Unforgettable: The Dale Carnegie Class-Act System
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...
The Complete Poems Selected Poems The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson Poems (Shambhala Pocket Classics) Final Harvest: Poems