Start by marking “Essential Dickinson” as Want to Read:
Essential Dickinson

Essential Dickinson

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
From the introduction by Joyce Carol Oates:

Between them, our great visionary poets of the American nineteenth century, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman, have come to represent the extreme, idiosyncratic poles of the American psyche....

Dickinson never shied away from the great subjects of human suffering, loss, death, even madness, but her perspective was intensely private;
Published March 14th 2006 by Ecco (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Dickinson

Jenny
Aug 06, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I don't read a lot of poetry because I feel like I don't always "get it". That was true with many of these poems...but some were quite beautiful and/or meaningful. A few I liked:

Fame is a fickle food
Upon a shifting plate
Whose table once a
Guest but not
The second time is set
Whose crumbs the crows inspect
And with ironic caw

Death but the Drift of Eastern Gray,
Dissolvin
Ryan Heaven
Apr 07, 2015 Ryan Heaven rated it it was amazing
I'm incredibly thankful for having studied American literature at university this year as I was given the chance to immerse myself in the work of this amazing woman. Easily one of my favourite poets - her imagery and rhythm are astounding, each poem shrouded in enigma. Aside from her work she was an interesting individual in her own right: a retiring, reserved woman who in private wrote about death, religion, madness - things many nineteenth-century women tended to stay away from. Often odd, alw ...more
Randy
Jan 04, 2010 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm not fully familiar with the entirety of Dickinson's work, I can't comment as to how 'essential' the selected poems in this volume are. Though, superficially, it seems to be a pretty good cross-section.

To this point I hadn't read a ton of Dickinson, knowing her only obliquely through a few scant lines reviewed in some college survey courses. I remembered her mostly as a dark and prickly writer who wrote jagged, slanted verse. I find that initial impression holds largely true. It takes a
Melinda
Mar 28, 2016 Melinda rated it liked it
Poetry is not usually my 'thing', but I was inspired to try and add some more prose into my reading lists by participating in the Sugar Pop 2016 reading challenge. And so I picked up some Emily Dickinson - and to be honest, I found it actually quite intriguing, quite soothing for the spitit, quite uplifting, and quite challenging. Forced me to think (and re-read) in ways I do not normally go, but well worth the effort.
Jana Eichhorn
It's not you, Ms. Dickinson. It's me. I'm not the world's biggest poetry fan to begin with, and to be honest, I can't hear your poems without trying to sing them all to " The Yellow Rose of Texas." I think I might be more of a Dorothy Parker kind of a girl.
Sachin
Jun 30, 2010 Sachin rated it really liked it
No other poet, in such a remarkable beauty of the lyrical verse, has provided a glimpse into the vision of death and eternity than Dickinson.
"The Famous recluse dressed in white", as she is often addressed, shows her eternal Love for The Master. She firmly believes in the live after death as is also expressed by the title of one of her poems, "The world is not conclusion - a sequel stands beyond".

Evocation of the death scene and portraying death vividly is her major characteristic, besides, she
Leslie
Feb 10, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I had always thought of Emily Dickinson as a bit too precious for my tastes. But when a friend of mine recited from "It was not Death for I Stood up/ And all the Dead -- Lie down," I decided it was time I investigated the poet's more melancholy side.

All my original preconceptions of Miss Dickinson were completely idiotic and I owe her a thousand apologies.

I've never liked huge volumes of poetry, and this one is satisfyingly small and intimate. It offers a wonderful selection of her work, and I v
Dennis McKeon
Jan 16, 2014 Dennis McKeon rated it it was amazing
How do you not like Emily Dickinson?

Poetry comforts me. It's one of life's little pleasures.

This volume is a gem.

Kate
Nov 15, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Absolutely heart-wrenchingly lovely.
Amethyst
Dec 29, 2011 Amethyst rated it it was amazing
I read this as I was teaching Dickinson for The Big Read here in Tucson. I very much appreciated Oates' selection of poems (including many I had never seen before) and her introduction to Dickinson.
Kim Kralowec
Jan 01, 2012 Kim Kralowec rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a good pocket-sized selection of Dickinson's poems. Good for someone who is just being introduced to the poet, or who wants a smaller volume to carry around.
Paige
May 25, 2013 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review is simple. I love the Shakespearean flow of her poetry.
Gail Hill
Nov 17, 2011 Gail Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poems of Emily Dickinson's life.
Stevenj
Jun 27, 2007 Stevenj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read by Julie Harris
Nicole
Aug 31, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
RTC
Sarah Dahmen
Sarah Dahmen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Amritha
Amritha marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Louisa Coachella
Louisa Coachella marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Esra
Esra rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Lourdes
Lourdes rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Shanella
Shanella marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Stephanie Runk
Stephanie Runk rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Bridgette
Bridgette is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2016
Paloma
Paloma marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Age of Huts (compleat)
  • Selected Poems of Charles Olson
  • Alibi School
  • The House That Jack Built: The Collected Lectures
  • Selected Poems, 1947–1995
  • No Planets Strike
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...