Essential Dickinson

Essential Dickinson

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the introduction by Joyce Carol Oates:

Between them, our great visionary poets of the American nineteenth century, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman, have come to represent the extreme, idiosyncratic poles of the American psyche....

Dickinson never shied away from the great subjects of human suffering, loss, death, even madness, but her perspective was intensely private;...more
Published March 14th 2006 by Ecco (first published 1996)

Randy
Since I'm not fully familiar with the entirety of Dickinson's work, I can't comment as to how 'essential' the selected poems in this volume are. Though, superficially, it seems to be a pretty good cross-section.

To this point I hadn't read a ton of Dickinson, knowing her only obliquely through a few scant lines reviewed in some college survey courses. I remembered her mostly as a dark and prickly writer who wrote jagged, slanted verse. I find that initial impression holds largely true. It takes a...more
Sachin
No other poet, in such a remarkable beauty of the lyrical verse, has provided a glimpse into the vision of death and eternity than Dickinson.
"The Famous recluse dressed in white", as she is often addressed, shows her eternal Love for The Master. She firmly believes in the live after death as is also expressed by the title of one of her poems, "The world is not conclusion - a sequel stands beyond".

Evocation of the death scene and portraying death vividly is her major characteristic, besides, she...more
Leslie
I had always thought of Emily Dickinson as a bit too precious for my tastes. But when a friend of mine recited from "It was not Death for I Stood up/ And all the Dead -- Lie down," I decided it was time I investigated the poet's more melancholy side.

All my original preconceptions of Miss Dickinson were completely idiotic and I owe her a thousand apologies.

I've never liked huge volumes of poetry, and this one is satisfyingly small and intimate. It offers a wonderful selection of her work, and I v...more
Dennis McKeon
How do you not like Emily Dickinson?

Poetry comforts me. It's one of life's little pleasures.

This volume is a gem.

Amethyst
I read this as I was teaching Dickinson for The Big Read here in Tucson. I very much appreciated Oates' selection of poems (including many I had never seen before) and her introduction to Dickinson.
Kim Kralowec
This is a good pocket-sized selection of Dickinson's poems. Good for someone who is just being introduced to the poet, or who wants a smaller volume to carry around.
Paige
My review is simple. I love the Shakespearean flow of her poetry.
Gail Hill
Poems of Emily Dickinson's life.
Stevenj
Read by Julie Harris
Emmy
Emmy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Mary Jane
Mary Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Bennard
Bennard marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Thierry Fofana
Thierry Fofana marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Peter Danbury
Peter Danbury is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2013
Maria
Maria added it
Jan 01, 2014
Katrina Winchell
Katrina Winchell marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Abdullah Karagülle
Abdullah Karagülle marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Jordan Walter
Jordan Walter marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Adria Dodici
Adria Dodici marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca...more
More about Emily Dickinson...
The Complete Poems Selected Poems Poems (Shambhala Pocket Classics) The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson Final Harvest: Poems